Death_Dealer

Anyone else miss when you were a noob?

Heh, my happiest DayZ moment as a noob was when I found a revolver on a castle in the SE of the map. I ended up glitching and dying, an whenever I told the glitch story to my friends, I'd describe the revolver as "...really good gear."

I defenitely would! I just got so excited the first I got a car at Green Mountain, found my first M4 variant, etc...Now I find all that stuff on routine. Like the first thing I do when I spawn is get some basic loot in Cherno/Elektro then head straight to GM.

If you could get the chance to be a noob at DayZ again, would you?

I know I would. There's something about DayZ when you're just starting out.. not quite sure what is is.. It just.. feels good.

this thread made me :D :D :D :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

about to start playing dayz for the first time and i'm pumped for it. B)

got to say tho, i'll never have the "zombie mmo" first time again.. warz stole that from me lol. (wana swap game loot? is that allowed? sorry if it's not..)

cheers dudez :P

I remember my first life.

Spawned West of Electro and ran for the north b/c I was afraid of Electro

Ended up in that little town NW of Electro. Found and enfield, a revolver, and a czech bag. I was really low on bandages. I followed the road to Mishykino or whatever it is called. Didn't actually go to Mishykino and headed north in the remote area over there. I wandered the countryside and found the destroyed village. I explored it and found nothing. Followed that road to a little cluster of houses SE of Novy Sobor. I remember that it was really foggy and it was about 7:00 or so on the server. I remember seeing was looked like a player running in the distance, but I never found the person. Looted Novy Sobor and was doing pretty good. I was out of bandages though.

I got wacked by a Zed and bled out in a field NW of Novy Sobor. It was a very fun DayZ session.

Having that feeling of starting out and saying,"I don't know what to do with my hands"(Talladega Nights) and knowing Zeds were horrifying, is probably going to be one of my memories I'll never forget. Oh, how I would love to feel that again.

Crawling on your belly, everywhere. Checking every building, running for miles because that zed won't stop chasing you. Heart skipping a beat at the sound of gun shots in Cherno to the sense of utter misery at breaking a leg in the middle of nowhere. Lying awake pondering your first kill.

I play for the social side these days but boy was it more intense back then.

• Like 1

Yeah I miss being a noob. I still get a major adrenaline rush in fire fights but the constant fear of being killed while running around Chernarus is basically gone. I usually know where I am and where I need to go and it certainly changes the way you play.

The first time hunger pushed me out of the woods in search of food or a hunting knife...I never found those beanz or that knife. I starved to death in a treeline north of Dolina. Those were the dayz.

Yep, I was paranoid, got an adrenaline rush everytime I heard or saw another player and also didn't know anything about the loot spawns and which buildings are enterable. Nowadays I know everything so well, I'll just go straight to the buildings I know are good and get out. I can get geared up in one hour, but when I was a noob, I spent many days with minimal loot and nearly starved. And I don't fear other players at all, I don't even get adrenaline rushes in firefights anymore.

I also was afraid of big cities, I thought I would surely get killed if I went anywhere near Cherno or Elektro.

Edited by Sutinen

I certainly do. That first time when you log in at night, take 10 minutes to figure out that you even HAVE a flashlight. Finally get it out and immediately start proclaiming, "I'm so scared right now"

Oh, for sure.

My first couple lives still stick with me and are super vivid. I can pretty much give a minute by minute of account of my first real try, it was exciting when it was new. Still remember being in the corner of that barn north of Cherno, at night, with a thunderstorm raging outside...(still feels like a unique storm I was that new, now I don't even bat a eyelid and feel like I rarely see them). Passing out from low blood, hatchet, literally backed into the corner listening to zed's outside...those were the days :) I remember ''gearing up'' (food/drink), thinking i'll head north....1 hour later I realized after trying desperately to read road signs and describe towns that i'd in-fact gone full circle and wasn't even 2km outside cherno lol. It was that moment I caught the bug and knew it was THE game i'd plow hours into as it was a totally unique experience. Just hearing the first shots from another player in the distance was exciting. I still remember thinking that a crawling zombie was a player from a distance and ran up to them to try talk haha.

Now it's almost a chore. You can pretty much gear up and be set in 20 minutes max if you get a Cherno/Electro spawn. My first try back in that barn I remember thinking ''how the hell do I find matches, a knife and wood to make a fire?''

Edited by showtime

It's not that I want to be a noob now, it's being a noob back when the mod was just growing, getting in well before there had been a million players, or even a quarter million, and sure there were bugs, but everyone was still learning and people were teaming up. Then the noob hunters came, shooting the new spawns for that can of beans, and the mystical bean wars began, and then startng gear was changed to make the fresh spawn less appealing to kill, and so much more has happened since those early days. There was a time when everyone was a noob, and that was when things were the most fun.

If we could al go back there, we'd al have a lot of fun.

After many months of playing Arma2/DayZ I've developed a 'feel' for the gameplay and the controls.

Moving through the gameworld and interacting with everything feels much more 'natural' than when I was still a noob. I don't have to think (much) about the controls or struggle with the inventory anymore.

So I would't want to go back, it's much better now.

Skip to 3:03

Let the nostalgia flow through you.

Yeah... My first time playing....It was pitch fucking dark. I was ever so lucky to have this blasting in my ear 2:22 Never even crossed my mind that I could turn the audio down.lol The constant banging in my ear and the fact I couldn't see anything but the sky...freaked me out! But when I finally got the stupid flashlight to work.....Shit my pants...

I get teary eyed when I think back to discovering Balota. :')

I think dayz goes in phases... For sure I remember the "crawl" stage (see a Z 200meters away --> start crawling), then the "hatchet and barn" stage, spending time there to get safely food and gear, then the "deer stand" stage, then "cherno/elektro" and at the awareness you can find supermarket in many places and start to explore the 4 corners of Chernarus.

The noob stage is gone, but dayz has still loads of fun to provide.

_Anubis_

Yeah, definitely. Once I began learning pretty much the entire map, I felt an emptiness inside of me.. things started to get a little boring after that.

The first 2 or 3 weeks, I didn't dare to even go to NWAF, just because of the rumors I heard about how much PVP was going on there.

The first 1 or 2 times I went there, I returned immediately when I saw other players even close to that place.

Now.. I just leave all the vital stuff at my tent, run straight through fields with my g17 and 2 SD mags and loot the airfield several times a day, not caring wether I get killed or not, because I know it's all about how often I check and how much room I have in my inventory to take stuff with me.

In the beginning, I didn't dare to loot anything with zombies around me. Now I now exactly how long a zombie needs to get close to me and perform his first hit, so I can take stuff I wouldn't have taken otherwise. I know that I can run from lootspot to lootspot, with hundreds of zombies on my tail, because if i find something of value, I run around 2 corners, throw a smoke, sneak back and get it, 10x faster than sneaking all the way.

Now I'm grateful for every server that doesn't show my position on the map, forcing me to navigate by myself, giving at least a bit of the sense of being lost back.

Considering that the loot will spawn on server-start and will be on a lot more different spots than it is now, having to search through buildings you haven't even looked at before, will hopefully give back that sense of not having a masterplan for everything.

I suppose once you have explored every cinch of Chenerus and it's map cousins, you will begin to get used to the occasional BS and loot spawns from certain buildings.

When I first headed inland Chenerus, I was mystified with my companion to see what the interior had to offer, and sometimes, I wish the world was a little bit more dynamic and randomly generated.

I had played arma 2 since it came out so I already missed out on that part.

The adrenaline, when a zombie aggroes you and you get crazy, your first heart attack when you see a player, your YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! when you find your first enfield, etc...

I would definitely go back.

Edit: Ninja`d by Smorski lol

this

The adrenaline, it is all gone. I don't know how to get it back :( hopefully the new standalone animations will scare the living shit out of me. Lol, I remember when my friend's dmr was deleted out of his backpack.

Skip to 3:03

Let the nostalgia flow through you.

I remember doing a clean install a while back to clear out the clutter of mods I had and it reset my arma settings. I joined a server and the music was on by default and holy shit it really took me back, I actually left it on for a while. I think ambient sound was what really made the mod scary back in my noob days. And now I find myself sitting here listening to that video remembering my first hours... Wow...

Aw yeah. Had no idea what the hell I was doing the first time I played. Just followed a road with a Makarov and a Crossbow, looting the towns I went past. God it was fun.

Edited by RIGHTLY

Ah, the days of crawling through Zelenogorsk, finding my first Ghillie Suit, going around Deer Stands and ending up with an AKM, M24, and Czech Backpack back in 1.7.2...

Yes, I decided to learn all about DAYZ before I started to play, I never really got the feeling of being a n00b.

/sniff