mattlightfoot

DayZ Developer Blog 8th March

cad-20101022-5b76b.jpg

Come on dude. Obviously I am not asking for makarov to rip people apart, but maybe just add some model alternation when I fire at them?

• Like 1

Come on dude. Obviously I am not asking for makarov to rip people apart, but maybe just add some model alternation when I fire at them?

You just said losing arms and shit, Just made me think of Fo3. X D

Pantsless wearing a bike helmet. Yea that didnt surprise at all. LOL

As someone who has no experience with programming and making video games, I really enjoyed the pathing part of the vid. Was interesting. I appreciate the behind the scenes stuff as well as the new info about the game.

• Like 1

I'd say a pistol wont rip your limb off, but a rifle caliber in a joint will do for sure. I watched a lot of Syrian gunfights and people who were wounded had their body parts smashed into bits from those AK's.

I know, I'm on your side here. Stop yelling at me! T_T

I like how weapon attachments have changed things in Arma 3. should be awesome in the DayZ standalone. it just totally changes the 'worth' of different weapons

So nobody wants to talk about how your character may suffer from long term effects such as bad diet ect.? For me this is a pretty massive step forward and I'm surprised no one's really brought it up yet.

To bring dieting up again... Where are the crops in DAYZ? No one grew corn or potatoes? What about wild berries and stuff.... some poisonous and some good? I'd like my character to be a marathon running vegetarian... Fuck off disease!

• Like 3

huge suggestion there: veggies and fruits also as consumables, maybe in the backyards...

HERBS! useable for the new medic-system!

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 1

Wait, so a 50 Caliber Anti Material Rifle Round into the arm of person and it taking the arm off isn't rally realistic?

Who'd spend a 50 cal bullet on a zombie ('s arm) :o ?

PS: in most cases the arm would still be attached to the body IMO; I still like the idea though

huge suggestion there: veggies and fruits also as consumables, maybe in the backyards...

HERBS! useable for the new medic-system!

I sorta talked about this in the suggestion for gardening.

Who'd spend a 50 cal bullet on a zombie ('s arm) :o ?

PS: in most cases the arm would still be attached to the body IMO; I still like the idea though

On Zombies or Humans? And a 50 Caliber Rifle Round to the arm is taking most of it arm. i.e. if I shoot the elbow the bottom of the arm is going, the should may stay.

• Like 1

Cool, your gonna be riddled with every disease out there.. Plus shooting people will potentially be damaging the loot you're after using the new system, that's what I'm looking forward to, proper consequences for different styles of play, lovely.

Has it been confirmed that sick players will cough, vomit etc. at inopportune, times meaning that their position could be compromised by their state of health?

• Like 1

Has it been confirmed that sick players will cough, vomit etc. at inopportune, times meaning that their position could be compromised by their state of health?

I think the plan is to have it indicated somehow in-game but how they're going to do that is still either being worked on or super secret. All I would say though is that it won't involve health bars as far as I know.

• Like 2

The new info on a more advanced health system is making me really excited. With stuff like concussions to worry about it will be a nice thing to have more use of a bicycle helmet than a pair of night vision goggles. Or choosing a warm jacket over a kevlar.

• Like 4

I think the plan is to have it indicated somehow in-game but how they're going to do that is still either being worked on or super secret. All I would say though is that it won't involve health bars as far as I know.
You can buy a health-bar in the marketplace for 1000 GC.
  • Like 10

You can buy a health-bar in the marketplace for 1000 GC.

Nope, you have your info mixed up. It's Mars Bars that'll cost that much.

(I bet this get's misquoted somewhere, hopefully on IGN)

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 7

Nope, you have your info mixed up. It's Mars Bars that'll cost that much.

(I bet this get's misquoted somewhere, hopefully on IGN)

"Hey there viewers! Mark back again, and this week we're discussing some new leaked DayZ Stand Alone Information. Exclusive to IGN! We'll be discussing a new Health System being implemented, we have a quote here from a credible source named 'Fraggle' and I quote "Mars Bars will be a new item you can buy from shops located around Chernarus for 1000 GC." looks like we got a new form of currency located in the isolated wasteland of Chernarus. *insert lame joke here*"

~Mark IGN

• Like 8

Cool, your gonna be riddled with every disease out there.. Plus shooting people will potentially be damaging the loot you're after using the new system, that's what I'm looking forward to, proper consequences for different styles of play, lovely.

As an occasional bandit, I love this.

I love being theatrical. Getting up close, holding them at gunpoint and just making a damn show out of it!

• Like 2

"Hey there viewers! Mark back again, and this week we're discussing some new leaked DayZ Stand Alone Information. Exclusive to IGN! We'll be discussing a new Health System being implemented, we have a quote here from a credible source named 'Fraggle' and I quote "Mars Bars will be a new item you can buy from shops located around Chernarus for 1000 GC." looks like we got a new form of currency located in the isolated wasteland of Chernarus. *insert lame joke here*"

~Mark IGN

"DayZ Confirmed Pay-2-Win" - Kotaku

• Like 7

I was hoping they would keep the inventory system under wraps until release..would be nice to have some major surprises.

• Like 1

Agreed. I think it's all about balance. For me the more depth the better. It's worth remembering what made DayZ so popular to start with, and that's the fact it offered something different from any other game out there. To me it looks like they're sticking to their guns which can only be a good thing. DayZ was never meant to be a game of quick thrills, it's always been about rewarding tactful and patient players IMO.

I am coming from the Red Orchestra series (tactical shooter, no CoD, mind you) and did play a lot of OFP, Arma and Arma 2. I love realism. In my eyes, the best games are those that make the players value their virtual lives. Like in Red ORchestra or Arma, I always try to survive first and THEN kill.

What DayZ did more right than any other game before is the attachement from me as a person with me as the in-game avatar. After spawning in Kamenka, running to Cherno, making it in, I am like "Good, now loot." After getting all the basic stuff "Ok, get the hell out of here, you made it this far". Running up North there is much to do until you have your favorite gear, set a camp. If you were lucky, you got a car while in Cherno or Electro, if not, set up camp, save your gear in it and go back until you have it. If you die, well you have the backup plan.

The longer you live, the more you value your life.

HOWEVER, after dying over and over again, I can totally understand a huge amount of players (maybe even the majority considering stats of alive bandits and alive heros) saying "Fuck it, I am gonna get a Winchester, hide in Elektro or Cherno and shoot other players. I have nothing to lose anyway".

This is in my eyes the problem with DayZ and that's why I am suggesting that teamwork should be more beneficial. NOT forced. Different diets required is a step into the right direction imho because it could make people trade food items with each other. Another idea that I would have to actually "penalize" shooting players (mind you, I have no problem with bandits, but with guys that go PvP only) could be that if you shoot another player, there is a high probability (maybe 50%), that you damage the stuff they have in their inventory. Like a guy with NV goggles get shot and there is a 50% chance that by killing him, the item gets damaged.

Be honest, if you meet a stranger in Stary Sobor, do you try to team up with him? Approach him at all? Leave him alone? Or just shoot him while he didn't see you? I am certain that less than 30% of the players would try to approach somebody inland to ask to team up. Because currently, all players can do in the center and north of the map is looting high military gear or shooting people to acquire the exact same. The perfect form of DayZ to me would be to actually have tasks in the center and north of the map (like setting up a camp, strong point) for which I need help, or the opponent needs my help to accomplish the task.

Edited by Sensemann
  • Like 3

I am coming from the Red Orchestra series (tactical shooter, no CoD, mind you) and did play a lot of OFP, Arma and Arma 2. I love realism. In my eyes, the best games are those that make the players value their virtual lives. Like in Red ORchestra or Arma, I always try to survive first and THEN kill.

What DayZ did more right than any other game before is the attachement from me as a person with me as the in-game avatar. After spawning in Kamenka, running to Cherno, making it in, I am like "Good, now loot." After getting all the basic stuff "Ok, get the hell out of here, you made it this far". Running up North there is much to do until you have your favorite gear, set a camp. If you were lucky, you got a car while in Cherno or Electro, if not, set up camp, save your gear in it and go back until you have it. If you die, well you have the backup plan.

The longer you live, the more you value your life.

HOWEVER, after dying over and over again, I can totally understand a huge amount of players (maybe even the majority considering stats of alive bandits and alive heros) saying "Fuck it, I am gonna get a Winchester, hide in Elektro or Cherno and shoot other players. I have nothing to lose anyway".

This is in my eyes the problem with DayZ and that's why I am suggesting that teamwork should be more beneficial. NOT forced. Different diets required is a step into the right direction imho because it could make people trade food items with each other. Another idea that I would have to actually "penalize" shooting players (mind you, I have no problem with bandits, but with guys that go PvP only) could be that if you shoot another player, there is a high probability (maybe 50%), that you damage the stuff they have in their inventory. Like a guy with NV goggles get shot and there is a 50% chance that by killing him, the item gets damaged.

Be honest, if you meet a stranger in Stary Sobor, do you try to team up with him? Approach him at all? Leave him alone? Or just shoot him while he didn't see you? I am certain that less than 30% of the players would try to approach somebody inland to ask to team up. Because currently, all players can do in the center and north of the map is looting high military gear or shooting people to acquire the exact same. The perfect form of DayZ to me would be to actually have tasks in the center and north of the map (like setting up a camp, strong point) for which I need help, or the opponent needs my help to accomplish the task.

HELL YEAH "DARKEST HOUR-MOD"!!! B)

Dear devs.:

can we expect rifle animation in standalone-release? (like etc. bolt-action, or reloading... or feeding ammo in...)

?

pump up..

still no answer..

Ok lets get a little back story out for those of you who have not been around dayz for very long. In-case you did not know dayz became popular due to the fact it was the first zombie survival game that did things well the way dayz does it, and here is something a large amount of game reviews at the time stated was the only reason it was popular, it was the first game ever that you could login to ANY server and have the same character, gear, location, etc. That was due to the central Hive database that Every server connected to. This unified server system made people love DayZ even more. For those of you who are wondering the time frame I am talking about, I am referring to the very early stages of dayz, right around the end of april and mid may.

At the time what made dayz so amazing was the thrill of trying to survive with just what you find, and of course the hunt of trying to find a vehicle when less then 50 servers had vehicles and less then like 10 had helis, People were simply in love with trying to find the best possible loot and set up a tent base. A vehicle at the time seemed like an endgame as it saved you from the countless hours of back and fourth between airfields your base and cities. DayZ was simply more about surviving, And from what I can tell what Dean (Rocket) truly wants with DayZ.

NOW

Now the whole Idea of dayz has changed, most of the old players who made dayz big are gone, and its new players thinking that what dayz is now, is how it has always been. The central Hive is pretty much none existent, logging into pretty much every server will cause you to spawn with a new character and new gear. So right there a huge part of what dayz used to be is changed now.

I know this is going to get me a lot of hate, But here goes.

And now onto what is the worst thing to happen for dayz "Private Hives". Private Hives have ruined pretty much everything that made DayZ, DayZ. Surviving really is not a thing anymore when you have server admins putting 200+ vehicles on the server which take away from that sort of endgame like goal of finding a vehicle, You now have server admins with the ability to simply repair vehicles to full with the press of a button, and they now have the ability to spawn vehicles where ever they damn well please which is for sure not what dayz was about.

Now onto admins giving weapons, changing starting loadout, and more. Allowing admins the ability to give weapons, heal, and do what ever to players is also something that ruined what dayz was all about. You used to have to spend hours upon hours trying to find loot in military barracks and heli crashes (even though they used to almost never work) just to find say a DMR, If you had a squad with a DMR, a winchester, and an M4/M16 or two you were king You had Fun in your group as you knew that the 5 hours you just spent finding that DMR was worth it. Now that is all gone, server admins can simply give them selves guns weapons what ever, and give other players what ever they feel like. Heck you can now change it so instead of starting with basic survival gear you start with the best possible stuff in the game.... That makes playing pretty much pointless. Now this leads me onto what a decent amount of servers are doing, "donate for an as50" or "donate for a loadout of your choice" that sounds an awful lot like pay to win which is something no one expected dayz to ever be. Now granted you will say well not all servers do it. Well your right but a decent amount do, do it which is the reason why i am mentioning it.

And onto my last point.

NEW PLAYERS

Right now is the worst time for players to pickup dayz for the first time as not only do they have to get used to the clunky inventory system, and just learn what dayz is. They now have to choose from what map and what mod of dayz mod they want to play, which as a new player you might not even choose actual dayz on chernarus. You then have to choose one of the 6 thousand servers that are out there knowing that what ever server you join is the one you will need to stick with, but not only that you need to hope you pick a server that 1 the admin is not going to be abusing his powers, and 2 a server that is not going to change maps and you lose all your effort, and 3 one that is not going to be cancelled a week from now and once again you lose all your stuff. Which going back to the THEN part of this section is something you did NOT have to worry about when dayz was more towards rockets vision.

And onto the topic

WHY PEOPLE WILL BE DISAPPOINTED

Lets talk about the title and why I said "Why The Later SA Is Released, The More People Will Be Disappointed" As you may or may not know rocket is developing the game he had always dreamed dayz could be, So that game will be more towards what dayz used to be and not what it has become now. That means at least for a decent amount of time in the beginning, there will be NO private hives, there will simply be the one main Hive that they run. He has said that he does not want to do private hives at first because they want to simply work on fixing bugs and new features at first which will result in possibly large changes that will need to be made on a daily basis to the Hive. No private hives means no "200+ vehicle servers", no "admin maps", no player tracking, no special starting gear and loadouts, no donator classes, no plunking down vehicles where ever you please, none of that. That right there is huge news to those who think dayz SA is going to be like dayz now just with improvements. Personally I hope Rocket does not allow private hives at all for at least a year, It simply changes the idea of DayZ too much, Don't get me wrong I hope admins get some more tools then they get on a official server now, but I hope to what ever god you believe in they don't get all of what they get now.

Now for those of you who only play say taviana or only play dayz 2017 and think normal dayz on chernarus sucks, well you are also going to be out of luck as rocket has also stated that modding will NOT be allowed for the foreseeable future as well going back to private hives, they simply want to work on fixing issues and working on improvements to dayz rather then supporting people trying to day one make 20 maps. I am also personally very happy about this news too as no modding means no extra maps which means no private hives will need to be made.

From what I just said a lot of you might be thinking to yourself oh what he said is false, SA is going to have everything well its simply not. There are plenty of places for you to look to find sources for what I said, Its all been said by rocket. Plain and simple.

Now for those of you who understand what I have said can think to yourself, those who have not played dayz way back when and realize what its truly about may not like SA when it comes out as its simply not going to have the million maps and private hives with admin maps and tools. That right there I know for a fact will make a lot of people hate SA.

Then of course the longer the mod is out and SA is still just "in development" players will be buying arma 2 for dayz mod playing it and getting in their heads that is what dayz is and that is what they can expect from SA.

If SA would have released back when Rocket said (end of 2012) more people most likely would have expected what they got as even though its only been 3 months private hives were not as big then as they are now, and since then a lot more mods and maps have come out which have changed dayz even more.

From Reddit top page

Edited by Cheese Grinder
  • Like 2

*snip*
It's an unfortunate scenario.

When DayZ was literally being killed by hackers, the private hives saved it. But now it's become something else entirely.

Server lists are full of the bastard children of DayZ. There's no denying it. But if it's spoiled folks to the point where people are truly disappointed by the content of the standalone, they will still be able to carry on playing their mods.

• Like 4