Sign in to follow this  
karas2@live.com.au

Trains

There should be a train, each carrage needs X amount of wheels, engine parts, fuel tank parts, glass and scrap metal. The dividends of the train would be awesome for banditry. It'd make for some very interesting firefights if you could ride on top of it too.

The amounts for the train to run properly should be very high though so it's a pretty rare occurance.

Edited by Victus Mortuus

There should be a train, each carrage needs X amount of wheels, engine parts, fuel tank parts, glass and scrap metal. The dividends of the train would be awesome for banditry. It'd make for some very interesting firefights if you could ride on top of it too.

The amounts for the train to run properly should be very high though so it's a pretty rare occurance.

Trains are a pain in the ass to repair when you have the proper facilities up and running. Id say for simplicity no needing wheels to repair, but you'd need a lot of scrap metal (lets just say 10) engine parts (gonna say 2 or 4), fuel tank parts (4 sounds good for the size of engine thats sitting on Cherno docks) and glass for the cab and caboose (6 or 8 for the loco, unknown number for the caboose, could still operate without glass, but of course your more vulnerable to small arms fire), and of course a shitton of fuel (12,000 l wouldn't be a stretch to fully fuel) (don't know the model used for cherno docks, but it looks simular to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ChME3 ). Possibly to 'ease' fueling there would be a place in the major Cities (Cherno, Electro, Berezino, maybe the factory north of Solnichy) that have workable fuel pumps next to the tracks to fuel up (either a jerry can with diesel unless they make fuel 'magic' in the game like it is now, or by fueling up the train right next to the pump)

The ghost train scene from Ghostbusters.. add that please.

Edited by Willy Wonka

How about just plain old train wrecks?

Derailed train wrecks as loot spawns?

Sure, but the point of this thread is to add to the endgame content discussion.

Edited by TheSodesa

What about improvised trains? I remember watching Land of the Dead and remember seeing as how some survivors used an Old Pickup truck running on the rims to go back and forth on an underground subway system using the rails there. Would that technically be possible? Somehow manange to get a pickup truck to run on the railway tracks?

Alternatively, there do exist some trucks that are modified for railway mainteniance use, such as this one here: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8144/7526996760_3bbdc01318_z.jpg

i imagined what it would be like if there was a train going around chernarus.

Would be interesting. IMO

How about just plain old train wrecks?

Also maybe find some loot scattered around the wreck?

the hand carts would be funny if you were driving along and a train was coming the opposite way.

choo choo

What about improvised trains? I remember watching Land of the Dead and remember seeing as how some survivors used an Old Pickup truck running on the rims to go back and forth on an underground subway system using the rails there. Would that technically be possible? Somehow manange to get a pickup truck to run on the railway tracks?

Alternatively, there do exist some trucks that are modified for railway mainteniance use, such as this one here: http://farm9.staticf...bbdc01318_z.jpg

It's not only possible but has been done. Most old railways didn't have specialized equipment they could order from one company, so their shops made their own equipment a lot from stuff laying around. That 'speeder' you showed as an example, theres also the 'famous' galloping geese that the Rio Grande made, was just an old truck or bus connected to either a passenger car or boxcar and the tires replaced with flanged wheels. As long as the wheels were set to the right gauge (4'8 1/2" for American Standard Gauge, I think Russian gauges can get up to 5' or bigger depending on where it is), there's actually stories of GIs replacing the tires of their jeeps with wheels salvaged from destroyed rolling stock in Europe and using them as makeshift switching/shunting vehicles during the rebuilding process Post-WW2.

the hand carts would be funny if you were driving along and a train was coming the opposite way.

choo choo

MADAFAKA! But seriously, if that were to happen you'd just jump off the handcar and hope that it isn't completely destroyed or derails the larger loco somehow. In real life if you had enough time you could derail the handcar and get clear of the tracks, wait for the train to pass, and rerail it (they're fairly light, the one I use I have to stand in the middle so I don't end up see-sawing it)

(incase anyone's intrested or too lazy to use google http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galloping_Goose_(railcar) )