Sign in to follow this  
karas2@live.com.au

Trains

They should make more train tracks and have ghost trains running at night. It would be creepy to walk one roll by, not knowing if anyone is inside.

• Like 1

Trains have been suggested a lot before. But a ghost train that you can't see into or anything would be pretty spooky!

namalsk has plenty of rail tracks. me and a few guys always said it would be awesome to have a train to roll around on.

Just reminds me of this . Not a bad idea I think I would like it :)

Wait, why would there be a ghost train every night? Who's running it? Denzel Washington?

I just don't see why trains would be running in a zombie apocalypse... besides, a diesel locomotive would take hundreds of jerry cans to fill up.

I think we would have a Problem with believability.

Because who would be operating The Train, and why?

(I don't think ghost will be appreciated by many, especially Not with The reddit guys, that apparently want a complete serious Game).

Rather give players The ability to Drive around in a Train, provided it Runs in Gas, because i think there is no power

PS.: what Gews said

Edited by UmBe

Rather give players The ability to Drive around in a Train, provided it Runs in Gas, because i think there is no power

trains run on coal. that or electricity. so even if it was an old coal powered train you would need coal to run it. i dont think arma has coal =p

trains run on coal. that or electricity. so even if it was an old coal powered train you would need coal to run it. i dont think arma has coal =p

Arma does Not have "Zombies" either ;-)

Most freight trains run on diesel, there haven't been any coal-powered trains for quite some time now... the last time I saw a coal-powered train must have been when I was about 8.

H36OEbK.jpg

• Like 2

I like trains.

• Like 1

A train network, or even just a single locomotive that could be discovered in a random position on the tracks could function as one of those functional, static, fixable and maintainable facilities mentioned in this thread:

http://dayzmod.com/f...erground-bases/

The train tracks could be powered by the power stations on the map. I think this would be a cool way of implementing interactivity between different player structures.

Edited by TheSodesa

Wait, why would there be a ghost train every night? Who's running it? Denzel Washington?

I just don't see why trains would be running in a zombie apocalypse... besides, a diesel locomotive would take hundreds of jerry cans to fill up.

Pretty much agree, also on the subject of Denzel...why did he run to each car and do the handbrakes rather than just lean down at the end of the last car and open up the brakeline valve?

I think we would have a Problem with believability.

Because who would be operating The Train, and why?

(I don't think ghost will be appreciated by many, especially Not with The reddit guys, that apparently want a complete serious Game).

PS.: what Gews said

Most freight trains run on diesel, there haven't been any coal-powered trains for quite some time now... the last time I saw a coal-powered train must have been when I was about 8.

China and a few countries are actually still producing steam locomotives, though in limited numbers (I believe they just recently built one in the UK as well from scratch rather than a restoration)

The US and UK and a few 'first worlders' have a few running examples for excursions and specials.

There's also 'third worlders' that have older steam locos from 'first worlders' that they kept in running condition.

A train network, or even just a single locomotive that could be discovered in a random position on the tracks could function as one of those functional, static, fixable and maintainable facilities mentioned in this thread:

http://dayzmod.com/f...erground-bases/

The train tracks could be powered by the power stations on the map. I think this would be a cool way of implementing interactivity between different player structures.

Chenarus' rail line is not electrified in any way shape or form. The tracks are fairly accurate when I look at them actually too, so its not something like they forgot to put in a third rail (third rail would be very unlikely in Chenarus besides in yards) or an overhead gantry system. And if it was there'd be honestly no way of powering the entire line without fully restoring not only the power plant s) but also all the infrastructure (jumper cables and a generator/battery would not be enough)

There's a much simpler solution which I post in just about every Train post I see on here. Maintenance of Way vehicles. Speeders, Track Inspectors, handcars, hell even a hirail truck would do (don't know if they used them in Russia/Soviet Union) and they are all either gas powered or with the hand car, hand pump. Getting a working locomotive would be a pain in the ass and impossible to keep hold of, not that I'm against adding something small like a switcher with a box car and caboose, and as I've suggested before, an RDC or motor coach of some type.

They would have to make all the switches functional in game (and possibly having to repair them with scrap metal) and a way to clear the tracks, as well as putting in a few additional sidings to allow the vehicles to pass each other (Chenarus is single track mainline)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speeder

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handcar

http://en.wikipedia....ad-rail_vehicle

http://en.wikipedia....ail_motor_coach

http://en.wikipedia....Rail_Diesel_Car

Edited by BigMike
  • Like 1

The road-rail car and the handcar are the most favourable for me . It would be good to have one of theese in the game

• Like 1

I was just going to say, get a handcar on game, 4 seater, manual power and easy to fix with wheels etc. you won't be able to hide it but then that means everyone gets a shot on using it. All I find are ATV's and they drive me nuts!

I use one often, its easy enough by myself (much easier with more people), and can fit 5 people (including myself, Im in the middle to operate the brake and be able to turn to face whatever direction we're heading) on it safely, probably 6 IRL if they knew what they were doing.

I don't think they should be 'fixable', just pretty much indestructible (maybe scrap metal?). Their easy enough to derail and rerail (their made to be light enough for one or two people to get off the tracks without any real damage) to make room for more equipment or a locomotive.

I'm not sure about a ghost train but I'd be all for more track (maybe a big fat figure "8" route covering the entire map with points that can be switched) and hand carts.

I was not thinking actual ghosts, just an empty train that runs around the map. For realism of course this would not work, but if we think of it as an auto train that runs on sun power!

I was not thinking actual ghosts, just an empty train that runs around the map. For realism of course this would not work, but if we think of it as an auto train that runs on sun power!

Nah, I think it should be player operated if anything like this gets implemented. The kind of train you mentioned is too science fictiony. And before anybody says "But what about the zombies? Aren't they unrealistic?"

No. They're not dead zombies, and a virus that deteriorates your brain like it has done to the infected people in this game is perfectly possible to engineer.

Edited by TheSodesa

For realism of course this would not work, but if we think of it as an auto train that runs on sun power!

Does, not, exist. Some small resorts and such have trams that are computerized and a lot of the functions are automated, but still ultimately controlled by a human somewhere making sure there's no glitches in the system. As for a solar powered train, a solar power plant would have to put a good chunk of its output into the power the infrastructure an electric loco is on. And as for simply having solar panels on the train itself? Not enough space to fully power one.

NO 'automatic', automated, self running, or NPC controlled trains. Runaway trains aren't really an option either, the train would run out of fuel eventually, or derail when going to fast on a corner, or (not sure if they have this on Post Soviets) the Dead Man's break kicks in and applies the breaks (modern US trains have random intervals of time where the engineer has to push a button to prove he's awake and alive within 30 seconds or the train starts to apply breaks), and you would run out of tracks eventually or hit something large/strong/small enough to derail the locomotive, if Chenarus' rail line was set up like a model railroad continuous loop (which pretty much never happens on 'real' railroads, they usually run 'point to point' to save money) this MIGHT be possible but would still run out of fuel fairly quickly.

well at least think of a static train.. one that went to fast and crashed at Cherno or something

There is a Static train sitting on the docks at Cherno, this would be an example of something small players could repair with just 1 or 2 cars to pull.

There is a Static train sitting on the docks at Cherno, this would be an example of something small players could repair with just 1 or 2 cars to pull.

We don't necessarily even need carts in my opinion. A single locomotive could house enough people so that small groups of people could be transported at once. Of course this might create some competition, but that would only make things more interesting and force people to make deals and compromises.

The faction in control of the train could demand food or some other form of compensation in return for a 'ticket'. Whoever has the most beans gets a ride to Cherno.

Carts would just add to some things, like cargo capacity and passenger seats. Also loco cabs are fairly small, they can fit maybe 4 people comfortably inside but really only made for 2 people (engineer and conductor). People could cling to handrails and sit on the walkways but that gets to be dangerous in and of itself.

The scenario that the train with cars could be used for would be something like, group fixes up train, and starts heading along the tracks, hitting up the 'major' loot places (Kamrovo's factory, Balota airfield and the evac base, Cherno's industrial section, ect) and loading up loot into the box cars and picking up a few randoms along the way to give rides or whatever. They get to 3 valleys or wherever their going to and stop the train, loading their loot up into a ural or two to take to their base before abandoning the train.

hej listen up!

imagine a huge city like cherno+ now add two structures at two different ends of the city connected by...

a tramway!

yeah imagine a little tram network..