Private Evans

An easy way to build bases

Since many people are day dreaming and posting about base building but mostly do not provide concrete ideas how it really could work ingame I would like to show you a simple way of building bases in 3 easy steps...

As joe mcentire suggested somewhere else before, we could use predefined places/structures (new areas placed by the devs for this pupose only) for building camps and bases. Places that are protected by static walls, fences or barricades anyway like prisons, small military camps factories or farms. Of course such structures would need an entrance.that can be closed somehow, I would suggest to use large vehicles or gates that can be pushed to block the entrance ( like the prison fence gates in The Walking Dead). This vehicles could be used for this purpose only of course.. Pushing these vehicles/gates should work only from inside the walls. This way opening or closing the gates of the camp would always require at least one player inside the base.and since blocking the entrance would take a while, other players could could take the chance to attack the gate and get in. Barbwire, sandbags, tank and bear traps could be used to fortify this places even more.

Inside this bases players could build their tents, campfires and park their vehicles. Of course structures should provide a water supply but not any loot spawns.

Since such bases would use only stuff that is used in the everywhere ingame this would not have any bad impact on the performance !!!

Before a group of players could use such a structure as their base they would have to wipe out all the zeds there, which should be a very hard task of course. Only a well armed group should be able to do this. As soon as all zombies in this area are killed the base status turns to safe (simple script ). Zombies will stop spawning and the gate can be closed. From here on nothing fancy is required to run the base. The Players just have to make sure that there is at least always one player inside the camp to open and close the gate. This means also, at least one member of the group has to be able to respawn inside the camp. If no player activity is recognized by the game inside the base for a longer timeframe ( let's say for example 12 hours) zeds would start spawning again and the vehicle/gate blocking the entrance would revert back to its original position (base status not safe) simulating that the base was not guarded for a longer time and overun by zeds again.

To make sure that no server hoppers spawn inside the camp a simple game mechanic or script could be added that only allows players to spawn inside the camp that have saved on the same server.

3 easy steps :

1. Create a new small area on the map (lets say a farm for example) including some buildings surrounded by walls and fences flodded by zeds.

2. Make sure this place has only one entrance and somekind of gate (or vehicle) that can be pushed (forwards and backwards) to close and open this entrance.

3. Create a simple script that does something like this :

if number of zeds in predefined area > 0 set base status = 0 (not safe)

if base status = 0 (not safe) set zed spawn points = activated & gate = deactivated (can not be pushed, reverts to its original position)

if number of zeds in predefined area = 0 set base status = 1 (safe)

if base status is 1 (safe) set zed spawn points = deactivated & gate = activated (gate can be pushed)

if base status = 1 (safe) & number of players in predefined area > 0 set owner status = 1 (guarded)

if base status = 1 (safe) & number of players in predefined area = 0 set owner status to 0 (not guarded)

if base status = 1 (safe) & owner status = 0 (not guarded) set timer = 0 (game hours)

if base status = 1 (safe) & owner status = 0 (not guarded) & timer = 12 (game hours) set base status = 0 (not safe)

game checks if player has saved on the same server and inside a safe camp ...if not player is spawned at the coast ( to prevent server hopping)

that's it...the basic idea at least....

PS: I never looked into arma scripts so I used something simple ( similar to the scripts used in TES or Fallout) to show what I mean....

Edited by Private Evans
  • Like 1

i see your ideas were heavily influenced ;)

:) i had suggested this before in the huge structures thread but yeah it seems we think the same way a lot...let's have a sparkling wine when you visit me in my new cosy base near Berezino

PS : edited op ;)

Edited by Private Evans

hej..no i didn't want you to mention me! that is just wrong! stop it you..you little rascal! Es war nur eine Anspielung... ;)

i just thought of cross-linking threads which are related to this one.

Edited by joe_mcentire

i like the general idea. its simple. what i suggest is to not only allow it in certain areas, instead let us decide where we wanna make a base. the most well known example is probably the factory between polana and orlovets. but there are other places already ingame that i thought of "this would be an awesome base" most of the time this thought was killed by the zombies and the inability to really fortify it and having a open/close entrance.

so yeah, vehicles to block the door, kill all zombies so they dont respawn. great!

i like the general idea. its simple. what i suggest is to not only allow it in certain areas, instead let us decide where we wanna make a base. the most well known example is probably the factory between polana and orlovets. but there are other places already ingame that i thought of "this would be an awesome base" most of the time this thought was killed by the zombies and the inability to really fortify it and having a open/close entrance.

so yeah, vehicles to block the door, kill all zombies so they dont respawn. great!

read some of the provided links to threads - there you will see some problems that would come along with your idea

Places like that yes :) but especially designed for using them as bases ...since this would be structures that can be found everywhere in Chernarus it would not destroy the immersion...if you not call it Fort Hooves :P

As long as peeps aren't taking over buildings with loot spawns. If my favorite loot spots get taken over I may throw a hissy fit and have to cap a bitch.

• Like 1

As long as peeps aren't taking over buildings with loot spawns. If my favorite loot spots get taken over I may throw a hissy fit and have to cap a bitch.

well that is something i didn't think of yet quite frankly. Interesting idea. What if loot simply would stop spawning, or maybe base-related stuff only and then very very slowly.

Imagine this:

You took over a farm-house and set up a base. Now you could get base-related stuff slowly over time. wooden planks, scrap metal, maybe rusted barb-wire. You could imagine this loot as if you would literally tear down those things from walls within the house or discover in the attic/cellars to further improve your base. But of course that is just a thought and I'm well aware some of you dislike such ideas...

I like the idea but how would players overtake the base? If the entrance can only be opened from the inside what kind of equipment would be necessary to gain entry? Also another idea could be if a firefight breaks out from your base it should attract zeds that attack the base and if not dealt with will overrun it

I like the idea but how would players overtake the base? If the entrance can only be opened from the inside what kind of equipment would be necessary to gain entry? Also another idea could be if a firefight breaks out from your base it should attract zeds that attack the base and if not dealt with will overrun it

Closing the gate by pushing a large vehicle would take a while...this would be the right moment to attack...also you could try to snipe all the the people inside the camp or you could use a helicopter ...a lot of scenarios are possible...people inside the camp would have go out for patrols maybe and have to use special tactics when entering or leaving the camp etc etc

Edited by Private Evans

The bases/structures could be uninhabited(duh) and open when a new server is created and registered into the hive. From there on any changes made to the bases/structures would be recorded and stored, so that the changes wouldn't disappear at server restart.

When I originally made the post in Jeremiah's thread that started this particular discussion in meant that there would be ,say, 5-10 major bases/structures that would require larger groups of players to manage but would also serve some purpose on the map, like a power plant providing power to a certain cities. Just as an example, the power plant in Elektro is currently connected to all the major coastal cities.

We could also have a slightly larger number of more secluded smaller buildings, like small farmsteads that would be easier to maintain, so even smaller groups could have a base of operations.

Keep in mind that fighting against the environment(zombies included) is going to be more challenging in the future. I'm hoping that it'll become so challenging, that it would be a huge disadvantage for players to not join one of these 'communities' in charge of the larger structures/ smaller safe havens. People banding together seems to be a kind of prerequisite for this idea to work. Rocket has said that he wished the main antagonist to be the environment so here's hoping...

The bases/structures could be uninhabited(duh) and open when a new server is created and registered into the hive. From there on any changes made to the bases/structures would be recorded and stored, so that the changes wouldn't disappear at server restart.

Maybe have it so that when the server is initially started there are zeds present in these facilities, but once the place has been cleared out once, the spawn points inside the bases are removed.

Edited by TheSodesa

I've already seen people in vanilla dayz converting the building site in the north eastern part into a fortress. it only takes 1 wirefence to block the back entrance, and one bus blocking the main-entrance.

A bus can only be entered from one side, so no one on the outside can get in, without destroying the bus and waiting for the wreck to disappear.

The most simple suggestion I heard was barricading the doors of a house and entering through the first floor window with a collapsable ladder.

doesn't prevent others from doing the same, but requires them to have a ladder. Having them completely protected, so they are impossible to loot would take out the fun.

Maybe have it so that when the server is initially started there are zeds present in these facilities, but once the place has been cleared out once, the spawn points inside the bases are removed.

Sorry ...but did you read the OP ????

I've already seen people in vanilla dayz converting the building site in the north eastern part into a fortress. it only takes 1 wirefence to block the back entrance, and one bus blocking the main-entrance.

A bus can only be entered from one side, so no one on the outside can get in, without destroying the bus and waiting for the wreck to disappear.

The most simple suggestion I heard was barricading the doors of a house and entering through the first floor window with a collapsable ladder.

doesn't prevent others from doing the same, but requires them to have a ladder. Having them completely protected, so they are impossible to loot would take out the fun.

I am not speaking about temporary blocking a road or building using barbwire and tanktraps or a bus, I am speaking about having a proper base that is safe even if you are offline without using underground instances but also without causing massive lags..easy to implement, immersive and realistic...

• Like 1

read some of the provided links to threads - there you will see some problems that would come along with your idea

the only thing im suggesting, that differs from the op, is to have bases where the players want, not just 10 predefined places on the map. ofc the loot inside would be unaccesable for everyone else, but thats just the nature of the game. (for balancing maybe even remove the lootspawn from bases)

i also really like the "blocked ground floor + collapsed ladder to second floor entrance", with many more enterable buildings this would be great.

Another plus to this system is that hoarders would have all their stuff in easily accessible places instead of in the middle of the northern forest. This way I can destroy everything much more easily thus re-distributing it to the rest of the server where it belongs next restart. If you try to take more than you can log out with I intend to take it away from you.

Another plus to this system is that hoarders would have all their stuff in easily accessible places instead of in the middle of the northern forest. This way I can destroy everything much more easily thus re-distributing it to the rest of the server where it belongs next restart. If you try to take more than you can log out with I intend to take it away from you.

One the one side clans or groups would have a relative safe place to store their stuff even if they are all offline ( at least for some time) but on the other side they would be under constant attack. I am sure this would lead to a lot of very interesting scenarios. Imagine the thrill when a patrol returns to the camp and the gate has to be openend...

Beside this it would provide a lot of potential for rollplaying (bandits, army squads or field medics )

i like the idea i do think there needs to be a balance to someway get into a base or its just going to be a rape base for clans. such as introducing lock picks which are super rare but can get past a locked gate

I think there is a lot of space for additional details :) the point is to make the basic thing work simple without flodding the server data but also make it immersive and realistic.

• Like 1

I think there is a lot of space for additional details :) the point is to make the basic thing work simple without flodding the server data but also make it immersive and realistic.

yeah definately would be better than having base building crap all over the map dont get me wrong i love base building on wasteland but on dayz i dont think it should be implemented