Sign in to follow this  
BuLLDOG771

Dayz The Dead City

Alright guys I have an idea.

THE DEAD CITY

How about a Dayz city...

Of course theirs the problem about optimization but there might be a solution.

If you've ever played Fallout 3 in the DC ruins they cover the problem of lag and optimization very well.

For instance the DC ruins is not one big map its lots of maps connected through subways and sewer systems preventing lag.

Imagine this a bunch of subways leading in different directions leading into small pockets of the city's ruins.

Buildings would either be destroyed,damaged, or normal. Some parts of the city would be very easy to identify maybe a huge sky scrapper with some floors accessible some not.

I get the same feeling with every server running through fields and roads I want to see a map more compressed making the player seem more immersed in the environment.

Subways would be the common ground maybe even underground settlements much like metro.

Also note that when playing on this map you can't simply run around getting to place to place because ruble would be in your way the metros/subways would be your forced route.

Also, I would like to add I have no Idea about map making or anything like that this was simply and idea after playing metro and fallout.

This isn't the nuclear apocalypse, zombies can't destroy buildings like the nukes did in fallout. This thread is pointless

This isn't the nuclear apocalypse, zombies can't destroy buildings like the nukes did in fallout. This thread is pointless

What where the hell did I say that? zombies would simply spawn on the surface..

What where the hell did I say that? zombies would simply spawn on the surface..

Why would a city be destroyed? The zombies can't knock down buildings to the point of how it is in fallout. You would need some explanation as to how the city got destroyed, this is the zombie apocalypse, it just doesn't make sense

The mechanic wouldn't really work the same for DayZ, DayZ is a multiplayer game vs Fallout being single player. DayZ just has one big open map rather than the the large map and entering buildings/smaller maps with Fallout, not to mention Helicopters. They would have to basically remake the game (again) if they switched to the Fallout/Skyrim style.

Why would a city be destroyed? The zombies can't knock down buildings to the point of how it is in fallout. You would need some explanation as to how the city got destroyed, this is the zombie apocalypse, it just doesn't make sense

Alright, I was coming up with a map not a storyline. Simple enough zombies got into the city and the military was forced to use shock and awe to destroy the infection. Nukes dropped then they dropped napalm to stop the infection. Then the Military abandoned the City and headed for Namalsk where they studied the infections origin.

Dead City? Get out of here S.T.A.L.K.E.R. :lol:

I like the idea of abandoned urban environment. Sure it is cliche but it is popular for good reasons.

The mechanic wouldn't really work the same for DayZ, DayZ is a multiplayer game vs Fallout being single player. DayZ just has one big open map rather than the the large map and entering buildings/smaller maps with Fallout, not to mention Helicopters. They would have to basically remake the game (again) if they switched to the Fallout/Skyrim style.

From what I hear from the developers there making the game more optimized. Also you could look at Taviana for an example these pockets wouldn't be huge cities (some bigger then others) the subway would carry the player to another pocket. You wouldn't be able to see past the pocket and the subways would elongate and pockets would be spread apart. its not one big city together that's what it looks like for the player but really its large pockets spread out from each other.

They are making the game more optimized, but not by converting it to Fallout's system, which more than likely would put more strain on the server than help with any player side lag. What you propose would be just too difficult to implement the way you say, they could do something where there's rubble blocking all paths into the city and you have to go into the sewers or some kind of metro system, but it wouldn't be a loading screen, you just open a manhole cover or walk into the subway like you would any existing building, crawl/run around for a bit then either walk up some stairs or climb up a ladder to get in. It wouldn't reduce any lag or optimize anything, Id just be kinda a cool city to play in/defend, not to mention still being open to choppers landing in them.

Chenarus' building's aren't tall enough and the roads are too wide for things to happen like how you want. There's no skyscrapers, tallest building is the International Hotel and that's maybe only 10-20 floors tall? The next tallest thing would be a lot of the industrial buildings, and there wouldn't really be a reason to bomb those (If anything they would probably be something the military would protect and try to use as shelters or for the forlorn hope of trying to get them up and running again after all this is over) There will be more 'destruction' in the game (There was a photo of what looked like Cherno's supermarket with a commercial airliner crashed into it). And to be honest I don't think Chenarus' military was big enough to use 'shock and awe' against the infected. Theres evidence in the major cities that they used mostly ground troops and barricades to try and halt the infected (the hospital in Berezino kinda looks like a last stand to me)

the army could have bombed the city down trying to contain the infected.

In one of the best Zombie novels "Day by Day Armageddon" the U.S. military is trying to stop the undead by nuking all the big cities !

Thinking of a DayZ universe it would be cool to see different maps from all around the world in the future..Why not having a gigantic destroyed or at least partly destroyed urban map ? Using instances could be indeed a solution for making it really detailed without killing everyones framerates.

The OP idea isn;t for a urbanized Chernarus, but a completely new map. Rocket has aspirations for a new map eventually

Yeah I like the idea of one big city as a map instead of rural environments with trees and fields. I would think that New York would be a good place to have a Day Z map set you know like somewhere away from eastern Europe in a REAL location

Rocket has already said that the next map after Chernarus will most likely be a Western City. I hope we get something like Atlanta, in the Walking Dead. His description of what he wanted sounded pretty similar.

BTW, OP, I don't like your idea. It would be far better to have an open city. Just look at Seattle in Take On Helicopters, that's already 60x60km and is well optimised. A city map for DayZ would be probably a quarter of that size, and with more detail and enterable buildings I imagine we will get something very similar.

I would like to see another map similar to Namalsk I like the concept of a nuclear fallout wasteland

or somewhere in Chernobyl would be a nice map to make not sure why

the game doesn't have any real countries that are able to be explored in Day Z I don't

understand why they have made up islands and countries

simple, the government bombed out the cities try to stop the hordes

The OP idea isn;t for a urbanized Chernarus, but a completely new map. Rocket has aspirations for a new map eventually

??? nobody talked about an urbanized Chernarus

I would like to see the city's with more depth to them. However I like the idea of being able to expand out of the city's limits and live the bush life all in one large playing area gives both aspects.

I would like to see the city's with more depth to them. However I like the idea of being able to expand out of the city's limits and live the bush life all in one large playing area gives both aspects.

yap but imagine if we could combine different maps by travelling..we could have some maps like chernarus ( more countryside) linked to a huge city map ..for example something like Moscow if we keep it russian for this example...imagine the possibilities :)

Edited by Private Evans

Maybe some Meteors hit and caused the zombie virus

destroyed cities could be logical.

I hope we get something like Atlanta

Oh god please no, Atlanta is a shithole. (I live there)

I'd love to see a city like Chicago or New York.

• Like 2

Sad to see this topic get so much flame. I like the idea of more sophisticated central spots. I'd like to see a higher counts of zombies in Cities in the SA. Coupled with, of course, better loot.

Oh god please no, Atlanta is a shithole. (I live there)

I'd love to see a city like Chicago or New York.

Well, I was going off the Walking Dead. Atlanta seems a reasonable size for replication - I looked at the details and the Atlanta-city proper is around 300km2, meaning that condensed a bit for map purposes Atlanta is probably a good idea of the scope Rocket should be aiming at.

The original post talked about using loading screens ala Fallout 3 to try and reduce lag. He just used the DC ruins as an example. As the game stands now it wouldn't work like Fallout to reduce lag and would just complicate things.

A single player game only has to worry about the SINGLE player. Fallout and other similar games that have transitions or loading screens are ways for game developers to cheat a little when it comes to space. Take Fallout, instead of having to make sure say Vault 101 fits without any kind of clipping errors or a part of it sticking out of the terrain at some place, in the overworld map they just have a small cave with a door, then you load into a map of Vault 101. The DC ruins as example are just a series of doors that go to smaller maps, (don't know if this is true or not for fallout since I never used any kind of Noclip cheat to check it out) If you were to fly over the DC ruins in the overworld map you'd probably wouldn't see much past the facade and props.