shadowboxer (DayZ)

Weapon Customisation

Weapons need to have the appropriate rails on them to hold attachements of a certain type. Civilian weapons in general don't have these so you don't have to worry about anyone running around with double barreled shotgun that has acog sights on it. For guns without rails we could still utilize things like duct tape + flashlight combo or other makeshift attachements

i see, yea, i agree with u on the whole "duct tape" idea, it would be nice to have some basic attachment(s) on civ weapons such as a flashlight

I would like to see bayonet in the game . if you run out of ammo there is still option to stick that blade into the rotten head . IMHO That would be pretty useful i think and cool too .

wow, never thought of a bayonet, that would be amazing if they added that, good idea

As long as any attachments are 1.) Realistic, and 2,) Useful, I'm all for it. In my opinion, the more the better.

However if I find a hearbeat sensor for an M107, I'm going to blow a gasket.

:huh:

Only problem I see with the custom options for weapons is, the high percentage of people that have no real clue what realistic is.

Only problem I see with the custom options for weapons is, the high percentage of people that have no real clue what realistic is.

I think we can trust Rocket on this one. After all he had Military experience.

This is important for people to remember. ^^^^^^^^

It's also important to remember that we repair vehicles in this game - we have a toolbox. I can take my AR15's down to bare components relatively easily using only a few hand tools. It's FAR less complicated than say, aircraft maintenance. I've never tried to fix an engine in a helicopter, but I imagine it's a bit more difficult than changing a tire or mounting a scope. As long as attachments make sense, I'm not going to be upset. IRL I have an optic, a vertical foregrip, and a light on one of my AR15's. They aren't there to look sweet (even though they do), they're on there to increase functionality of the weapon.

As long as any attachments are 1.) Realistic, and 2,) Useful, I'm all for it. In my opinion, the more the better.

Chokes for shotguns. Scopes for rifles. Suppressors for rifles/pistols. Bipods for rifles. Lights for carbines/pistols that have appropriate mounting hardware (frame rails, threaded barrels). Even threaded pistol barrels are easy to install, you can do it without tools in many cases. These all make sense, and have a legitimate use not only in real life, but in game.

However if I find a hearbeat sensor for an M107, I'm going to blow a gasket.

:huh:

How many AR's do you have? I have only one. With a Aimpoint Comp m3 Red Dot, Laser Devices LAS/TAC 2 LED mounted left, Bottom mounted NcStar Vetical grip, and an A2 stock. Also have an actual ACOG, that I have run and gunned once. lol. Is my baby. Practically cost as much as the AR-15.

Also have a slide fire custom stock, for the times I'm feeling... round happy.

I think we can trust Rocket on this one. After all he had Military experience.

Agreed, Officer in the New Zealand Royal Air Force, has to have some knowledge of military grade weapons. I think that he can be trusted with these things. I am a gun nut, and have some training in military tactics so far from my Law Enforcement, and the realism of the Arma II engine IMHO could be used as a training simulator for quite a few situations to be completely honest. Honestly, with some programming, it could be used to teach anything from hostage situation tactics to firearms stripping and cleaning.

I can strip almost any weapon that you put in front of me, and put it back together in under an hour. Then be able to do it again in under ten.

DayZ is the best thing to hit the gaming world in awhile, and IMO the best thing to hit the sim world in well... ever.

Edited by OfficerRaymond
  • Like 1

Agreed, Officer in the New Zealand Royal Air Force, has to have some knowledge of military grade weapons. I think that he can be trusted with these things. I am a gun nut, and have some training in military tactics so far from my Law Enforcement, and the realism of the Arma II engine IMHO could be used as a training simulator for quite a few situations to be completely honest. Honestly, with some programming, it could be used to teach anything from hostage situation tactics to firearms stripping and cleaning.

I can strip almost any weapon that you put in front of me, and put it back together in under an hour. Then be able to do it again in under ten.

DayZ is the best thing to hit the gaming world in awhile, and IMO the best thing to hit the sim world in well... ever.

Yeah. I mean I've never been in combat and obviously you can't really simulate combat, but I'd say ARMA easily is the most realistic shooter on the market.

• Like 1

I would love to see a basic scope, flashlights, bayonets, for things like the enfield. For the military stuff there should be loads of options, but it should be mostly broken (heli crashes are not good for precision engineering) and rare as rocking horse s**t. In terms of needing a workshop and tools, it would have to be easier than patching up the cars, so a leatherman and some WD40 should probably be enough.

Also i would like to be able to use the rifle butt to smash Z's in the face, alot, Really really hard.

I really hope it's not crysis style swap while you run but that you can only do it in some kind of workshops that would be scattered around the map.

That's only going to lead to camping outside the workshops. And before someone suggests (not sure if posted yet, didntread.gif) safe zones.. no.

Just one thing i'll do....

Enfield with scope

mwahahahaha

Yep, that's what I was thinking. It really is a good marksman weapon, just lacks the scope.

Yep, that's what I was thinking. It really is a good marksman weapon, just lacks the scope.

yea,a basic scope would be a good idea, however either the weapon (lee enfield) or the scope should be nerfed to a relatively low drop rate, i would make the scope low drop personally, mostly because if a sight for the lee enfield was really easy to acquire it would probably become annoying with everyone trying to snipe eachother and make cqb in city's obsolete

Just one thing i'll do....

Enfield with scope

mwahahahaha

I have just got a goose flesh reading your post . Lovely and deadly idea you posted sir .

• Like 1

i like shareing beans to people muahahahaha lol alsao i want to be use duct tape to pit a knife,flashlight and maybe change optics but as long as my crossbow has a scope ill be happy

I would love weapon customization as long as it's practical and somewhat realistic.

.. also I'm sure I'm not the only one that would enjoy swinging around a nailbat :D

I don't care how many players know what is realistic and what isn't. Too many threads on this forum highlight that the players often have no idea. As long as Rocket and the other Dev's at BI know, I'm not worried.

Yeah. I mean I've never been in combat and obviously you can't really simulate combat, but I'd say ARMA easily is the most realistic shooter on the market.

In a game, decisions are never based on emotions in AI, and usually never based on emotions in players.

Who is gonna freak out that their best friend Billy Bob just got shot in the face and freeze in place in a video game? Not anyone.

Unless you are WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY too into the game.

In a game, decisions are never based on emotions in AI, and usually never based on emotions in players.

Who is gonna freak out that their best friend Billy Bob just got shot in the face and freeze in place in a video game? Not anyone.

Yeah you can never get the emotional part of battle, but the I think ARMA get's the tactical part down pretty well.

Yeah you can never get the emotional part of battle, but the I think ARMA get's the tactical part down pretty well.

yea agreed , it is pretty much impossible to exactly create the environemnts of an apocalypse, mostly due to no emotional repurcussions, as you are only killing pixels

These people exist, and they will go so far as to try to murder you if they think you aren't taking it seriously enough. Take my word for it...

What makes sense in the scenario?

If the game was based in the states I would suggest trigger assemblies, all manner of rail attachments, magazine sizes, barrels, shotgun to cartridge adapters, and gobs of ammo types but does that make sense in the setting? What kind of weapons are we even going to see in the SA? How realistic do we want to get? I'd personally like to avoid "taping a knife to a barrel" type customization.

My thoughts?

I hope it isn't as easy as 1, 2, 3.

I have a terrifying vision in my head of people mounting ACOGs and forward grips to AKs or every M4 coming with a quad rail...

I really don't want the weapons in the game to be transformed into a sort of 3D "Pimp My Gun", but it does seem likely and it will irk me if it happens.

I'm easily irked when it comes to guns and games.

this is so true im not sure on the customisation of the guns i would like to see how it goes im sure if it is hated and not a success rocket and his team will take it out dayz stand alone is trial and error its just that we (us as a community) have to fix those errors, i am really nervouse though about this.

-cheers- great question and great posts

What makes sense in the scenario?

If the game was based in the states I would suggest trigger assemblies, all manner of rail attachments, magazine sizes, barrels, shotgun to cartridge adapters, and gobs of ammo types but does that make sense in the setting? What kind of weapons are we even going to see in the SA? How realistic do we want to get? I'd personally like to avoid "taping a knife to a barrel" type customization.

At release there will be less weapons than in the mod. But there will be weekly updates so it should be back up to the mod in no time. I think we will eventually surpass the mod in number of weapons. As to the setting I think all AK variants should be more common than M4/M16 style rifles. M4/M16's are easier to modify than AK's.

I'd personally like to avoid "taping a knife to a barrel" type customization.

Why's that? That kind of customization would probably be the most common you would find in a post apocalyptic scenario.