Draco122

Old fighter planes?

Just something I was curious about, while the topic of military vehicles in DayZ makes some people frown with disgust I was curious if its possible and would be enjoyable to have something akin to an old fighter plane. Something from say World War 2.

Some examples I can think of would be something similar to a russian Yak, British Spitfire or Hurricane or German Mischatsmit. Whether they'd still have functioning Machine guns or simply be used as air transport and something fun to mess with.

Some picture based examples:

Russian Yakalev Yak-9

yakovlev_yak9um_andreibezmylov.jpg

British Spitfire

Ray_Flying_Legends_2005-1.jpg

Yugoslavian Air force Hawker Hurricane

Yu_Hurricane.jpg

German Nazi Messerschmitt Bf 109

Me109_G-6_D-FMBB_1.jpg

I've used the mustang on i44 thats fun

I personally think it would be more hilarious if people half-assed these themselves.

I.e. cutting holes in the sides of their planes' fuselages and sticking old machine guns out of them for their friends to shoot!

Yee-haaw, redneck AC-130!

I'm guessing most WW2 Planes have been decommissioned and are unusable.

• Like 1

Just something I was curious about, while the topic of military vehicles in DayZ makes some people frown with disgust I was curious if its possible and would be enjoyable to have something akin to an old fighter plane. Something from say World War 2.

Please... no military aircraft. However, I'd be thrilled if in searching through a barn, I came across an old crop duster that needed a bit of tidying up.

cropduster2.jpg

This'd be something that'd make me wanna hunker down right there and protect the homestead.

Edited by codestargod
  • Like 1

its not realistic at all. however strapping a SAW to the side of a biplane would be hilarious

• Like 1

How is a crop duster not realistic in outback country?

Edited by codestargod

How is a crop duster not realistic in outback country?

ok strapping a SAW to a cropduster would be hilarious

I'm guessing most WW2 Planes have been decommissioned and are unusable.

Most from my knowledge are decommissioned but are sold as civilian planes with the guns removed and most military markings removed, I still think its a fun idea though to discover an old unarmed fighter plane. It'd be a bonus if it was still armed of course. I just don't think there are enough single seater aircraft

Play some I44 :-) Need's far more players for what it is! It's got most, if not all of the then-used Military Fighters; My favourite being the P-51D 'Mustang'. Quite fun to fly, though unfortunately no base Missions. A good search of ArmAholic always turns-a treat, though! As does the Mission Editor.

Edited by Zionist Wabbit

I don't support this suggestion because working fighter planes from the 2nd World War are very rare these days, not to mention in need of constant upkeep, and you'd never, ever see them flying in Chernarus.

• Like 1

After ww2 some british bases in the desert (im not sure where) burryed siptfires and lancasters in their crates just in case another war started

you try to find a ww2 plane now and you'd struggle, in a zombie apocalypse in russia you'd struggle even more

There could be an old ww2 aircraft grave yard that you could fine usable parts and repair aircraft

People struggle to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on their Spitfires and Mustangs... Messerschmidts are almost nonexistent... I'm pretty sure you won't be rebuilding 70-year-old aircraft during a zombie apocalypse.

I'd like it if they had one wrecked in a forest somewhere like this one:

But only one or it would be cheap. Don't think they'd go to the effort just for one plane though.

I wouldn't imagine there would be any airworthy WW2 aircraft after a zombie apocalypse. They have enough trouble keeping them in the air at the moment.

Overall a good idea, but really needs to be hashed out more. Maybe not WW2 fighters, but maybe cold war era (its a big era) prop and small planes. If I had any say they'ed be unarmed scouts or trainers.

You'd probably only find a 'flyable' WW2 aircraft in the hands of a collector/historic group with enough money to keep it up and running or a 'repairable' one in a Measueam. After WW2 which ever planes weren't mothballed in crates in a desert, sent to the boneyard, or demiled and acquired by private citizens were sold off to 'third worlders' that could afford an airforce but couldn't afford jets. And eventually thous got replaced with jets or just wore out.

I like the idea of adding crop dusters and the like to the game.

It would indeed be interesting if we could modify the vehicles we find to add weapons.

You say crop duster, I say bus B)

Just saying, bus + 8 or 10 people hanging out the window with a couple on top in makeshift turrets..... oh my.

Not to mention we should be able to shoot out of moving vehicles!

Edited by dayz247

Maybe not WW2 fighters, but maybe cold war era (its a big era) prop and small planes. If I had any say they'ed be unarmed scouts or trainers.

I don't have a problem with adding in small planes like that, you'd be able to find them near airports and "if helicopters, why not planes?". The AN-2 only goes about 200 km/h and it can't land in as many places as the helicopters we already have. A little Cessna would be nice as well.

After ww2 some british bases in the desert (im not sure where) burryed siptfires and lancasters in their crates just in case another war started

belive me a spitfire as strong they were, are just like any other mechanical vehicule against the sand, it get stuck, the sand is damaging everything mechanical to the point that if you really want to pilot a spitfire, it would be easier to ask the company that produce them to build one more juste for you ( and its at least 60 years that they stopped to produce this model)

I don't have a problem with adding in small planes like that, you'd be able to find them near airports and "if helicopters, why not planes?". The AN-2 only goes about 200 km/h and it can't land in as many places as the helicopters we already have. A little Cessna would be nice as well.

piper even

piper even

Yes, this, was much fun in Flight Sim 2004.

piper-cub.jpg

Maybe even something along the lines of a Beechcraft 18.

TMA-beech18_lighter.jpg