Sign in to follow this  
CF Mallard

Player Camp Etiquette

So before I really anger some people me and my team have found several player camps around 10 tents and vehicles to be exact is there an unwritten rule about looting camps or is it fair game especially because they placed them in obvious areas like north of the dam... Of you honk that no one will go up there your all wrong cause everyone knows that's where people are guns tried to hide camps.

So what's the etiquette.

• Like 1

etiquette is taking everything you can, load it into their helicopter/car.

run over the tents, blow up the vehicles you dont need and then fly/ drive off.

Well, that what I do.

• Like 3

Well, that what I do.

lol'd

If you can find it, they are practically giving it to you.

Take what you what and destroy everything else, but make sure to leave a thank you note via map marker. It's the polite thing to do.

• Like 3

I've never understood hoarders in this game, and assume they are only collecting it to keep others from having it. I definitely agree with other posters with one exception. If there is a dedicated medic on our server, who's only goal is helping anyone that asks, I usually try to find out if its their camp first. If its not, I take everything I can in the best vehicle there and put up a marker to let everyone in the server know its there. Then, after I'm well out of the area I start broadcasting to the server what all is there. I have scoped in from afar and watched some truly epic battles take place when a decent population on a server all rush to grab what they can. Actually pretty entertaining.

• Like 2

As the police said when Shergar was finally located.... Findus keepers.

The only thing I do differently to those above is that I do not destroy what I do not take. That, to me, always seemed a little churlish and tantamount to vandalism.

I don't think all camps are necessarily "hoards", I know I have several caches around the place that I use for a quick re-gear in the event of me getting killed. Sometimes several tents and vehicles just indicate a group stash rather than one person hoarding gear. That said, I still wouldn't do things that way as I prefer to spread stuff out so that, in the event of one of my caches being discovered, I haven't lost the lot.

Edited by Bansidhe
  • Like 2

Hello there

I honk that there is no actual set code of conduct. I honk it's down to the individual and his own in game "moral compass".

Myself? I tend to just take what I need and get the honk out of there.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 3

Hello there

I honk that there is no actual set code of conduct. I honk it's down to the individual and his own in game "moral compass".

Myself? I tend to just take what I need and get the honk out of there.

Rgds

LoK

Honkers gonna honk

• Like 5

Good to hear, looting complete, now to find that stashed Huey....

Another strategy besides destroying everything is to only take a little bit at a time and leave the camp alone. If the owner(s) of the camp don't suspect that it's been discovered, they might keep stashing stuff there, which means you'll be able to keep dropping in to take a little bit here and there. Plus, most players keep their very best stuff on them, so take a look at what's in their tents and cars, and figure their personal gear is a step up from that. If you're a bandit type then, you might get lucky one of the times and find them at their camp, and have chance to take them out and get their better personal gear.

• Like 1

I'd fuck with the guy a little bit. If there's vehicles i'd shoot out every single tyre. Not enough damage to force them to respawn but enough to make them useless. Especially funny miles from nowhere.

• Like 1

Basically what bigdog said, or if they have Air transport basically take all the goodies out their tents and replace them with tins and chemlights...

Take a couple vehicles and put them on the coast and damage the rest , them Tears, so good.....

• Like 1

Well, that what I do.

Then wait for them to come back to kill them and loot their corpses. ;)

Haha, man, you guys are assholes. :lol:

But to answer the original question, I tend to look at what's in the tent - if it's mostly medical stuff, I'll check it doesn't belong to a server medic and possibly leave them a blood bag and some morphine for emergencies if I can't verify either way. Those guys deserve a break every now and then.

On the other hand, if it's full of military gear and hard-to-find loot, it's open day. I'll take everything I can possibly carry, and if there's anything left, I'll advertise it to the rest of the server on a 'first come, first served' basis. Then I sit back and watch the bloodshed. :P

Take everything, destroy rest. Go and wait in a safe sniping spot, wait 'till them SOB's come back to their camp and kill them all. Try shooting their legs out at first, then mock them on chat if it is enabled, then aim for their heads as they regain conciousness.

**Edit** if you have a heli, you can fly to coast to kill them all over again when they are fresh and weaponless.

Edited by Kuolio
  • Like 1

I can understand taking gear from someone else's camp for yourself, because that's all about survival and it fits the theme the game is going to, and I can even understand destroying someone's stashed vehicles, because due to the limitations of the game engine, a stashed vehicle limits the number of vehicles spawning in the world... but destroying someone's tents and gear that you don't want or can't carry just to grief them is completely out of place in the world that DayZ is trying to create. In a real post-apocalyptic situation, if you came across signs that someone else was successfully rebuilding civilization, you wouldn't just destroy it and laugh, you'd instead be excited that their might be hope of eventual recovery from the nightmare of the apocalypse you were living in. (The exception would be if you knew it was the camp of an enemy or someone who had preyed on you in the past.)

That all being said, I understand that right now in DayZ, PvP is the endgame for most people, and as such, taking out other peoples' supplies is a valid tactic, but you should still see the whole thing as a sign of a flaw concerning a lack of content in DayZ when it comes to the later survival game. If the game was ideal, the endgame would primarily involve a player or a group of players using a wide variety or loot and crafting to slowly build an oasis or sanctuary in the middle of the zombie wasteland, and the game would include a proper humanity system that punished other players who went out of their way to thwart attempts at rebuilding civilization.

Unfortunately a well stocked camp is most likely belonging to a bandit. Its really just skewing the odds in your favour by trying to reduce the supplies said bandit has to prey on survivors.