Sign in to follow this  
master11388

Can Opener

How about a Can Opener as Tool for the Standalone? I think it would add a bit difficulty to the game.

• Like 1

Or a knife.

Or some hard but blunt tool like a crowbar, but wouldn't allow you to get as much health/hunger from it, seeing how dirt kinda ruins the content and/or you might not be able to get all of it out.

• Like 1

I've seen this suggested but I dont like it. Honestly you would be able to find a way to open a can without one

I've seen this suggested but I dont like it. Honestly you would be able to find a way to open a can without one

I always assumed food had ring pulls.

Why not add variety later down the line?

I mean, yes, there are lots of ways to open a can of anything and there are cans with and without opening rings. (Whatever they're called.)

I think it would be nice if the description of the item would say something like "A can of tasty baked beans. Has an opening ring." or "And old, about-to-expire can of tuna. There doesn't seem to be a way to open it without tools."

And the "tools" could include, but not be limited to;

Can openers, knives, hammers and other industrial tools(No, not for smashing the thing open. Think.), etc.

How about a Can Opener as Tool for the Standalone? I think it would add a bit difficulty to the game.

I believe this has already been mentioned as a possibility. Nevertheless Rocket has said there will be tons of new gear and weapons when the standalone releases.

Or a knife.

Or some hard but blunt tool like a crowbar, but wouldn't allow you to get as much health/hunger from it, seeing how dirt kinda ruins the content and/or you might not be able to get all of it out.

But dirt is delicious...

Just scrape the can upside down on some concrete or any rough surface. Quick and easy.

Not saying I don't want some new tools but this i could do without.

I came up with that! Me and you were'nt the first ones to think of it

most cans have pull tabs. Derps on you.

Maybe in America where you even get pre-chewed foodstuffs...Maybe in Russia there a a lot of cans that don't have those and you need an AK to open them...

Sorry I don't agree. If I'm starving in the zombie apocalypse I'm just gona break that can open with a rock and lap beans up off the floor...true story :beans:

you could put both cans, without and with opening rings, but the ones that have the rings are way less durable, while the ones without are better sealed and will last much longer without corrosion or contamination.

So cans without the opening ring would need a can opener to be used, but would restore more hunger with less chance of infection, while the ones with a opening ring would appear more rusty, and have a bigger chance of infection, restoring less hunger.

And there could be a chance of the opening ring to break while you try to open the can, then you'll need a can opener or a knife to open it.

And the chance of this occurs would increase with the durability of the can, if the can is rusty, you'll probably break the opener and would need an opener to eat it.

Edited by lipemr

The recent link that was posted on here by an artist for SA -possibly wrong- had three separate version of canned good. Normal-Dusty-Rusty, now the normal one should open 99% of the time, Dusty 66% of the time and Rusty 33% of the time with no worries. However if the ring pull snaps off you need to use your Hunting knife/Can Opener to actually eat.

The recent link that was posted on here by an artist for SA -possibly wrong- had three separate version of canned good. Normal-Dusty-Rusty, now the normal one should open 99% of the time, Dusty 66% of the time and Rusty 33% of the time with no worries. However if the ring pull snaps off you need to use your Hunting knife/Can Opener to actually eat.

I don't think Joey is a dev - he made the forums and website I think but his UI designs and cans are just his own work. Devs need to see that work and get it into the mod however ASAP, it's great stuff that would add a ton of variety to the game.