Sign in to follow this  
philbottle

DayZ = No Mo Money

So, what with there being a zombie apocalypse and all.... it seems as if money has gone by way of the Dodo and monty's parrot, it is deceased.

It's possible that clan by clan humans would start to form little communities again, for mutual aid and protection, if nothing else.

Would you bring back money? If not, how would you see human survivors organisng thelseves in a back to basics, start all over again type scenario?

Being of an anarchistic persuasion I aleady know what I would do.

But what would you do?

I think what with it being set with the breakdown of all government and general normal vibes of a functioning society, the real currency would be trade. That would probably be more valuable than any form of token.

• Like 9

I have to agree with mzltv. You cannot eat money. You cannot hunt with money. So, what would you do with money?

A can of beanZ would be far more worth than a shiny paper with a printed face on it. (No I am not talking about a Justin Bieber poster ^^).

Trade is the only solution if the world is so fucked up. Trade in form of food, manpower or working materials.

• Like 3

I have a plan where we can just replace currency worldwide with a simple system of blowjobs and cheeseburgers

Doug Stanhope

• Like 6

Barter / trade, I would personally be a hunter and fisherman.

No-one would question Horsemeat again.

Edited by Michaelvoodoo25
  • Like 4

So far the apocalypse is looking more rosy. Blowjobs and cheeseburgers eh, I hadn't considered that :lol:

So far the apocalypse is looking more rosy. Blowjobs and cheeseburgers eh, I hadn't considered that :lol:

Go live in Bradford, Infected people offering cheeseburgers and full blown sex

• Like 2

I think DayZ represents the likely outcome pretty well.

The most aggressive survivors would take what they need from everyone else.

Then eventually, what's left of the world would just die of stupidity.

Money is essentially a promise from the bank that the piece of paper in your hand or the coin in your pocket is worth what they say it is. With the fall of banks in DayZ (I assume we can say they are now closed for business) the money in your pocket becomes worthless unless someone wants the metal or paper.

Trade is the way forward unless you want to set up your own bank of course....

• Like 2

Go live in Bradford, Infected people offering cheeseburgers and full blown sex

Oh the parallels to the modern world....but that was the point of zombie horror in the first place for some, a critique of modern times.

I think DayZ represents the likely outcome pretty well.

The most aggressive survivors would take what they need from everyone else.

Then eventually, what's left of the world would just die of stupidity.

Is that in a mad max kind of way?

Barter economy goods traded for other goods or services.

Beans, bullets and medical supplies are going to be the new Gold Standard.

Trade my friend.

Helicopter/Car parts would likely be high priority.

Water

Food, especially cooked meat.

Ammunition, depending on PvP... lol.

Pretty much what other people have said already.

And..

A can of beanZ would be far more worth than a shiny paper with a printed face on it. (No I am not talking about a Justin Bieber poster ^^).

So basically, what you're saying, is.. A Justin Bieber poster WOULD be far more worth than a can of beans, since you excluded it!

• Like 1

Trade... couldn't we just use bottle caps?

Beans for the Fallout reference.

Zombie Brothal, Not sure how that will work yet, still trying to iron out some details...

Set up your own government. Install a police force and an army. Return society to what it once was!

• Like 1

So basically, what you're saying, is.. A Justin Bieber poster WOULD be far more worth than a can of beans, since you excluded it!

Correction. Justin Beiber himself, with his purty face would be a valuable commodity. I'd be like a lending library. Fill in the rest yourself.

As to a currency, how about bullets? I put some inside your body and you give me everything you own?

Trade is the way forward. "Currency" be it bottletops or cash will have no value without some sort of central governing body.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

I would be in the business of medical trade.

After you've peppered me, you can search my pack for all the morphine, blood bags, and anti-biotics one could dream for!

There are no recorded instances in history of barter being the go-to default trade system. The only time barter is ever used, historically, is when stuff is so messed up there's literally no other alternative so we're talking about 1951 in Hungary (a period of massive hyperinflation, in fact the hyperinflation was so bad you needed scientific notation to write it correctly). In Day Z... well yeah it's a zombie apocalypse so stuff is messed up... but in reality people would still revert to some kind of 'currency' given any alternative whatsoever, so a kind of hybrid currency like cigarettes for example. Cigarettes are frequently used in prisons as a means of exchange because they have many of the characteristics of fiat currencies - as in they are a unit of exchange that can be easily divided up, they all have a similar mass, and everyone instantly recognises them. Ammo would be a good alternative.

But straight up barter? As in, me wanting to buy your 4x4 in exchange for a load of bandages or beans? Very unlikely.

So, what with there being a zombie apocalypse and all.... it seems as if money has gone by way of the Dodo and monty's parrot, it is deceased.

It's possible that clan by clan humans would start to form little communities again, for mutual aid and protection, if nothing else.

Would you bring back money? If not, how would you see human survivors organisng thelseves in a back to basics, start all over again type scenario?

Being of an anarchistic persuasion I aleady know what I would do.

But what would you do?

I have to agree with mzltv. You cannot eat money. You cannot hunt with money. So, what would you do with money?

Trade is the only solution if the world is so fucked up. Trade in form of food, manpower or working materials.

The problem here Draxx, is that it's very unlikely the participants in the rudimentary trading system would ever coincidentally happen to have the specific desired commodities which they would gladly trade for the types of food/manpower/materials to which you refer.

This is why 'money' exists, so we don't have to carry around a whole random bunch of **** just in case the guy who has that morphine you need only accepts payment in the form of car parts or something equally hard to find. A stable, trustworthy medium of exchange, would probably be something along the lines of common ammunition types (bullets are all nice and regular, easy to transport, easy to count, easy to subdivide) or something like cigarettes which have similar qualities as a medium of exchange.