Azrail (DayZ)

please read: matchbox spawnrate

The spawnrate of matchbox is totally screwed. playing for a few weeks now, i found more sniper rifles then matchboxes. i don't think its just me, because i hear other people having similiar problems.

Together with a knife and a hatchet, the matchbox is the most important thing one needs to survive. Knifes and hatchets i will find plenty while i work my way up north. but they are both useless without a matchbox.

Nothing like running accross the map, starving to death, or having a 3 digit blood value, with a backpack full of useless raw meat.

Either, raise the spawnrate of matchbox, or give us alternate ways.

For example, if you have a binocular (also more common then a matchbox), you can use the lens to make fire - requires LOS on sun from your current position (so wont work at night or cloudy days) and process will take 60 seconds.

Another possible solution would be flares, but it would be onetime use, so if you use a flare to enlight a fire, its gone.

Last but not least, i think has been suggested before - let us eat raw meat, with a 15% possibility to catch an infection.

I would rather like to see these alternate ways implemented, but i guess it will require much more work.

I can confirm this. In my last three days of playing (even back in 1.7.0), I found a grand total of 5 ALICE Packs, 3 Binoculars, 7 Watches, more flashlights than I bothered counting, about the same number of knives, two maps, several hatchets, m1911, revolver, m104, AK-47, and two camo suits, but absolutely no matchboxes whatsoever. I raided the entire eastern coast, then worked west from Berezino all the way to Putoshka, but I still haven't found a single box of matches. I haven't even tried 1.7.1.1 yet, due to a lack of free time recently, but from what people are saying, I wouldn't have much luck there, either.

Yeah, maybe it's felt that because they're unlimited once found, that the need for them to be rare is the option.

I would feel happier if you got say, 10/15 matches per box, and they spawned a little bit more.

The matchbox spawnrate is painful. I'd be better off hunting zombies, hoping to find a can of beans, than hunting for a matchbox to cook meat with.

Maybe the randomised spawn is not a good idea for some items.

Matchbox example: If you go into any supermarket, gas station, little shop, whatever there will be matches (or lighters). Its absolutely 100% certain. They never run out or anything. Why? because a lot of people smoke. Some people (and almost all women) still love candles.

So maybe there is some sense in placing them in every store and giving them a pretty high chance to spawn in every house.

If it makes the game too easy you could still give them limited uses (around 20?). It should be slightly annoying but not really difficult to obtain.

i strted playing last week, until now i found 2 ghillie suits, compass, watches to no end (was fixed i think) and a lot of weapons and ammo, everything basically, EXCEPT boxes of matches, or maps (alt tab ftw) or morphine injectors (getting a bone broken -> hit respawn atm)

I'd say make each spawned matchbox contain 3-5 matches (requiring only 1 match per fire). Then have your matchbox be able to contain like 20 matches max. You could pick up new matches and add them to your matchbox. Maybe we could have the matches be separate from the matchbox. Each match would take up one inventory slot unless you had a matchbox which would be in the tool belt which could hold 20 matches.

EDIT: Accidentally posted before finishing...

Haven't found any rare spawns and yet I have found more than 5 match boxes in the past week.

I don't think it needs any tweaking I think you guys are most likely looking in the wrong direction.

Haven't found any rare spawns and yet I have found more than 5 match boxes in the past week.

I don't think it needs any tweaking I think you guys are most likely looking in the wrong direction.

its random loot.. there is no "wrong direction"

that you found 5 and others found 0 means nothing.

To be honest, I have never found a matchbox on the ground. All that I have found were on the bodies of dead players (I wasn't the cause for their deaths most of the time, I can assure you).

I have found plenty of knives, watches, maps, compasses and hatchets. Maybe it should be looked into?

suck too be you guys in less than 4hours me and my 3 friends found a total of 4 box. Wanna get the extra one ;)

suck too be you guys in less than 4hours me and my 3 friends found a total of 4 box. Wanna get the extra one ;)

shure.. meet in cherno? :angel:

Just allow the use of empty soda cans as a way to start a fire if there is sun.

Youtube it.

I actually find a ton of these,the item i have a hard time finding is the compass.It will vary from person to person and ultimately boils down to luck.

you should be able to light fires with road flares... uses one flare each go... then you dont need matchboxes at all...

I do agree with this 100%, found a single matchbox so far and it was off a dead player (who tried to murder me but didn't know I wasn't alone..)

I have never seen a house/supermarket/gas station irl without matches. This needs to be corrected.

It might be a good idea to limit the number of matches in a box, but no need to "refill" the boxes, as atleast I have never fallen in love with a matchbox so much that I would move matches from other boxes to my beloved matchbox.

Increase spawn rate of these important boxes (and increase it alot please)!

but make sure you can only use them a few times before you have to find new one, because one thing is for sure, 99% of the players of this survival game wouldn't be able to light a fire in the woods with a single matchbox..

I don't know where you guys are looking, but so far each time I have gone into a supermarket in any town inland, I almost always find a matchbox. In fact, a lot of times, I will find multiple matchboxes in the same supermarket.

' pid='171845' dateline='1340386257']

I don't know where you guys are looking' date=' but so far each time I have gone into a supermarket in any town inland, I almost always find a matchbox. In fact, a lot of times, I will find multiple matchboxes in the same supermarket.

[/quote']

It's not a matter of where we're looking. It's just an oddity of the random spawning. Three of the six watches I mentioned in my previous post were in the same supermarket.

I found a site that list the drop rate. 1.25% in residential. that is all. thing guns have a higher drop rate then that. why cant i use a road flare for lighting a fire. i have used them to start campfires before it works well.

I normally wouldn't be the guy doing this, but I think you guys are doing it wrong.

Yeah, matchboxes tend to be hella rare. But recently, since I've been rolling with a few mates, we've been hitting supermarkets every so often. And every time, I've found anywhere between two to five matchboxes. Granted, those might be just my lucky spawns. But we hit them just about every few days, and I'm always finding the things.

So, if all else fails, just check your local supermarket. Though, I really wouldn't suggest Cherno. That place'll probably be cleaned out before you can blink.

I normally wouldn't be the guy doing this' date=' but I think you guys are doing it wrong.

Yeah, matchboxes tend to be hella rare. But recently, since I've been rolling with a few mates, we've been hitting supermarkets every so often. And every time, I've found anywhere between two to five matchboxes. Granted, those might be just my lucky spawns. But we hit them just about every few days, and I'm always finding the things.

So, if all else fails, just check your local supermarket. Though, I really wouldn't suggest Cherno. That place'll probably be cleaned out before you can blink.

[/quote']

where would you suggest?

where would you suggest?

Electro (though it'll probably be just as empty as Cherno, due to all the spawnees being on the coast), Polano, Zelenogorsk, Pustoschka, Vybor, there's two in Berezino, and if you're really feeling hardcore, you can try for the one in Stary.

No seriously, though. Don't go for the one in Stary. No matter how badass you are, you will die. Probably. Or at least get shot at if there are horrible shots on overwatch. But it really isn't worth the risk. Just go for Vybor instead. It's just up the road.