Sign in to follow this  
joe_mcentire

Help enriching the swamp experience!

The recently broadcasted dev-blog footage of the Standalone showed us some nice insights and some innovations.

One of them was a swamp-area, which i was really eager to see in the SA.

I would like this thread to become a pool of ideas and (complementary) suggestions and further to may serve the devs as some sort of brainstorming focused on this swamp-topic. So...

POST THIS:

• "usability" (places to hide loot e.g.)
  • functionality (in terms of health/infection systems, special loot ...)
  • graphical/object implementations (dead trees, dragonflies, mists...)
  • (toads etc.)...

AND MAYBE THIS:

• Negative criticism is always very valuable, but please try to argue and bring up solutions

Three things left to say
:
  • Why not represent your ideas with links to expressive pics or other media!?
  • Everyone suggesting a Skunk Ape gets beanz!
  • (edited) I highly recommend to watch the National Geographic Series "Wild Russia", just fyi
  • I would suggest to have another look at the video from this very moment..

maybe i try to do a summary afterwards right here:

[summary]

[/summary]

All information is subject to change.

Edited by joe_mcentire

Imma take this space and edit my response shortly :)

I think that it needs to be pretty deep so that you can submerge into it except your head, I mean you've seen the small wooden bridges.

Imagine a bandit sniper who is standing on top whilst interrogating a noob.

You sneak up by swimming partly submerged and then reach out the water, grab the guy and drown him.

Like at 1:58 here

Edited by Guest

Imma take this space and edit my response shortly :)

He's going to say 'first', I just know it.

(Edit: I was wrong...This time.)

As for the swamp: It either needs some cover or a major incentive to go there. Like a howitzer or something.

As it looks now you'll just be a guy with wet feet about to get shot through the head should you decide to visit.

Edited by Max Planck
  • Like 3

for loot-purposes...there are quite some

of tanks pulled out from the swamp!

You sneak up by swimming partly submerged and then reach out the water, grab the guy and drown him.

The water in the video already seems to be covered with swamp plants therefore it might be likely to stay somewhat undetected when sitting and waiting for prey.

what i really would love to see are leeches. They would make sense in a health/infection system as it is going to be planned. They would be easily implemented, can also be used as loot (keep them in empty bottle/can) and used afterwards.

effects could be better wound healing...although i question the real use of leeches...

• Like 1

I'm thinking a ranger station or something of the sort with common military and residential loot. Possibly two storys or a guard tower attached.

Throw some busted boats and tractors around for loot spots and cover and this would become a great pvp spot.

I can imagine it now with a squad holding down the fort a couple fresh spawns lurking through the swamp hoping to find a enfield or anything so they can assault the squad. Throw a few bandit snipers in the hills to north would top it all off.

Also it shouldnt need be said but it needs a fan boat or two to spice it up

The swamp should be named "Area where careless people get there car stuck while searching for slaves/n00bs.

I can't wait to find vehicles stuck in the quagmire.

Personally I thin there should be more tall reeds. To conceal movement through the area.

Reeds like this http://atmosfear.cro...n-noahs-ark.jpg

or http://media.moddb.com/images/articles/1/112/111092/auto/swamp_3.jpg

Right it is just a large deadzone (pun intended). The decision players will face is: Go through the dangerous swamp and be exposed or go around it and take more time.

It could also have more/bigger trees to hide amongst, more like a mangrove than a swamp.

• Like 1

What i really want this area to be, and i think this is according to rocket, is to add a new layer of survival experience and feel to the game. There are in fact wide and unique swamps all over russia as the vasyugan swamp e.g.. I don't think they want to add just another PVP area. The idea of adding a ranger station with a huge unhinderd view over the swamp would just add a sniper's-paradies: in fact a Mohrhuhn (crazy chicken) - Minigame. I would hate to see this tbh.

WoW i just have to add:

2l9qtdd.jpg

this area is bigger than switzerland btw.. :o

Edited by joe_mcentire

what i really would love to see are leeches. They would make sense in a health/infection system as it is going to be planned. They would be easily implemented, can also be used as loot (keep them in empty bottle/can) and used afterwards.

effects could be better wound healing...although i question the real use of leeches...

I have swam in water with leeches while on vacation in Canada. There isn't really a problem with them attaching to you unless you sit still in the shallows.

It could also have more/bigger trees to hide amongst, more like a mangrove than a swamp.

but we have to conisder the climatic region. mangrove would be more miami or south american style of swamp. russian / east european are more tundra/taiga influenced, meaning cold, somewhat fallow more seemingly "lifeless"

Edited by joe_mcentire

I have swam in water with leeches while on vacation in Canada. There isn't really a problem with them attaching to you unless you sit still in the shallows.

and that's what some of us will most certainly do, when lurking for fresh meat...

edit:

Interesting fact: waterweeds function as natural water purifiers -> maybe a better source of clear water than others.
Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 1

This is how they should be :P

No hobbitses in my Dayz please.

• Like 1

well i could live with some sort of skeleton props from time to time...or other and more recent signs of decaying...zeds would be trapped quite easily i guess

personally i like the idea of brushy swamps which feel more like marshes (which is in fact the one we know from the video) as they seem to fit slightly better to the whole region of russian-style chernarus. On the other hand a river, splitting in the middle of a dense forest into a bog, with a long derelicted mansion, maybe with a branched cellar-vault.

oh my....

A marsh is a type of wetland that is dominated by herbaceous rather than woody plant species.[1] Marshes can often be found at the edges of lakes and streams, where they form a transition between the aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems. They are often dominated by grasses, rushes or reeds.[2] If woody plants are present they tend to be low-growing shrubs. This form of vegetation is what differentiates marshes from other types of wetland such as swamps, which are dominated by trees, and bogs, which are wetlands that have accumulated deposits of acidic peat.[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marsh

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 2

I hope for swamp fog and certain areas for Loot.

Not wanting to draw similarities, but Stalker had swamps and were deadly places to venture into. the threat and atmosphere made them scary places to be.

I will be hiding under the walk-ways waiting for 3 goats!

Man, I read Howitzers, sniper spots etcetera and I think 'GOD NO!'. Pls stop with all the military stuff being added that will only unbalance the whole direct pvp aspect, even more then it already does.

As for loot spots, there would be water birds in the swamp thus also bird nests on the ground/in the water, maybe you can find protein rich eggs? Or maybe there are some beavers building a dam that you can hunt/set traps for? And in general that might be a good place to find traps, camo nets, hunting rifles, rare plants/cures you can find?

Man, I read Howitzers, sniper spots etcetera and I think 'GOD NO!'. Pls stop with all the military stuff being added that will only unbalance the whole direct pvp aspect, even more then it already does.

The howitzer thing was a joke, relax.

well i could live with some sort of skeleton props from time to time...or other and more recent signs of decaying...zeds would be trapped quite easily i guess

personally i like the idea of brushy swamps which feel more like marshes (which is in fact the one we know from the video) as they seem to fit slightly better to the whole region of russian-style chernarus. On the other hand a river, splitting in the middle of a dense forest into a bog, with a long derelicted mansion, maybe with a branched cellar-vault.

oh my....

A marsh is a type of wetland that is dominated by herbaceous rather than woody plant species.[1] Marshes can often be found at the edges of lakes and streams, where they form a transition between the aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems. They are often dominated by grasses, rushes or reeds.[2] If woody plants are present they tend to be low-growing shrubs. This form of vegetation is what differentiates marshes from other types of wetland such as swamps, which are dominated by trees, and bogs, which are wetlands that have accumulated deposits of acidic peat.[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marsh

I think it would be good that while in a swamp your movement is much slower (unless you're using walkways obviously), and there is a small chance of getting temporarily stuck.

All this would apply for zombies too

Edited by RobbL

but we have to conisder the climatic region. mangrove would be more miami or south american style of swamp. russian / east european are more tundra/taiga influenced, meaning cold, somewhat fallow more seemingly "lifeless"

don't forget the mosquitoes. those damn fuckers.

they could slowly drain your blood though!

• Like 1

ambient sound is one main core when it comes to creating atmosphere. and i see very huge potential regarding marshes/swamps. Those typical toad-noises, the rustling of reeds, the sound of flies, humming of other insects. and how awesome would be owl-howls during night-time in the dense mists of the cherno-swamps!

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 2