Diz (DayZ)

Who Else Thinks 1.7.5.1 Pushes Annoyance and Survival Too Far?

My opinion: Yes, the game is just annoying now.

As single player, in order to get blood after zombie hits, I need matches, a knife and hatchet to eat myself back to health.

There is no other way of doing it. I just spent four very boring hours looking for matches. I'm now at 2000 blood due to

zombie attacks whilst scavenging, and I have no way to proceed except to commit suicide and run back to my body.

In v174 and the v175 betas, I could nearly always find matches, knife and hatchet within a couple of hours, and THAT'S when

I can start to play the game in earnest; knowing I can repair my character when he gets hurt.

If it's going to take several hours just to get a basic starter kit, then unfortunately I have to make the decision that I've got

better things to do with my time. That's not realism, it's just a broken game.

I've said this before and I'll say it again - single players need to be able to blood themselves more easily. I really resent

that paired players can simply go to several places on the map which are guaranteed to have blood bags, and return to

full health immediately. Single players are already at a huge disadvantage as it is, and not being able to get yourself

healthy as easily as teams is just a kick in the teeth.

I'll suicide now, and give v1751 another few hours with a new character. If I die again before I can get basic gear, I'm going to

retire from the game and do something less boring than running from place to place looking through garbage, which is all this

patch has offered so far.

As a player who used to run miles back and forth in maze of Alien buildings on Mars/Phobos, whatever, in search of spared medikit or ammo for shotgun in Quake 2 or Doom 2 I see DayZ in pink tinted nostalgia goggles and I love it.

But as open minded person I understand it can be annoying for someone who is used to hide behind a wall and wait for his health to regenerate and for that all ammo/weapons he need are straight on way to finnal boss.

Who knows, maybe standalone DayZ will be casualized to appeal to wider audience but I hope not. For now I enjoy DayZ as it goes away from being CoD clone with 1.7.5.1 patch.

Who knows, maybe standalone DayZ will be casualized to appeal to wider audience but I hope not. For now I enjoy DayZ as it goes away from being CoD clone with 1.7.5.1 patch.

1.7.5.2 will be even better ;) Same difficulty (sorta), but less of the bugged behavior, so it's more ovbious that a player died because he did something stupid rather than because stuff is glitched front to back.

1.7.5.1 doesn't make things "complicated" it just makes things tedious.

Spawning an empty tin/soda can every time I eat/drink? OK sure it's realistic, but it's also tedious that I have to drop them every single time. It feels like adding a few extra mouse-clicks just for the sake of it and it's not like there aren't enough empty tin cans lying around in almost every single spawn point already. Do we really need even more junk clutering up servers?

Needing to boil my water before I drink it? Yeah sure it's realistic, but ultimately it doesn't exactly make the survival experience super exciting or anything. Worst case scenario is it wastes about 5-10 minutes of my time while I try to find a tree that the game will allow me to chop down. Finding an empty tin can isn't difficult since it's the most common loot item in the game.

Zombie AI "improved"? Sounds good to me. Oh wait, the zombie behaviour is still extremely erratic? The AI is now even MORE buggy than before? Well nothing has changed then as far as I'm concerned.

Can't log out because I'm standing too close to my buddy? That's just asinine.

Edited by porkus_maximus
  • Like 2

More complication and annoyance.

A few examples:

• Blood bags can give you an infection now
    There are more antibiotics now, actually making them have a purpose rather than be something you carry around for days on end without using and never finding when you actually need it.
    Beyond that, blood transfusions are OP enough as they are. At least now they are brought back down a bit. Add a bit of risk to using them so to speak.
  • Water can make you sick unless you go through a process to boil it
    Exactly, which forces you to boil it or go for the infectionless soda cans. No more finding a water bottle and being set liquidwise for the rest of your life without effort.
  • Lots of annoyance added like when you eat canned food it puts the empty can into your inventory
    Personally i like this change as it gives me something to throw at people after i eat. And if i don't want to throw it i simply double click it to drop it where i stand. I am already in my gear screen. A double click extra every 30 minutes hardly makes it an annoyance.
  • Meat was split up into 5 different types (more bag slots needed as a result since diff. types don't stack)
    That or you simply carry one type of meat per person. Besides, if you have inventory space problems you are most likely carrying a lot of stuff you don't actually need. Thus you are a hoarder and hoarders are just taking up bandwidth and performance on the servers they play on.
  • Chopping wood attracts zombies
    Yeah, it makes noise. Zombies can hear noise.
  • Zombie AI got a boost across the board, they hear better, (hit harder?),chase better, are harder to lose etc.(but are still bugged in so many annoying ways)
    The range of different actions sounds will be adjusted in the next hotfix. All in all, Zombies are getting a boost in the right direction but so far they are still nothing more than an annoyance. The number of bugs pitted against you with zombies are outweighed by their inability to pose a real threat to you and how easy they are to run away from.
  • Zombies can damage cars and even pull players out of their cars
    Oh boo hoo, zombies actually pose a threat to you now when previously you could sit inside a car and be perfectly safe...? Cry more.
  • Ammo drops nerfed drastically
    I still manage to fill my inventory with mags for my weapons and i primarily do PvP... It's a good thing because before you could be damn well sure to run into a magazine every other lootspot you came across.

Some of these sound cool, till you consider that zombie AI is bugged terribly to begin with and as a result zombie combat is far more luck/exploit than skill based. And the expansion of the infection/disease mechanic is just random punishment for punishment's sake.

All in all, what i hear is "BOO HOO, the game has changed and i don't want to adapt and overcome".

• Like 2

"Meat was split up into 5 different types (more bag slots needed as a result since diff. types don't stack)

That or you simply carry one type of meat per person. Besides, if you have inventory space problems you are most likely carrying a lot of stuff you don't actually need. Thus you are a hoarder and hoarders are just taking up bandwidth and performance on the servers they play on."

Not even that (@ green stuff), Diz seems to be either complaining that his backpack item list is getting longer or doesnt understand the fact that meat never stacked in the first place, just because the limited backpack view (when not pointing your cursor at a loot pile / car trunk) lists them as numbered doesn't mean they take up any less space.

My opinion: Yes, the game is just annoying now.

As single player, in order to get blood after zombie hits, I need matches, a knife and hatchet to eat myself back to health.

There is no other way of doing it. I just spent four very boring hours looking for matches. I'm now at 2000 blood due to

zombie attacks whilst scavenging, and I have no way to proceed except to commit suicide and run back to my body.

In v174 and the v175 betas, I could nearly always find matches, knife and hatchet within a couple of hours, and THAT'S when

I can start to play the game in earnest; knowing I can repair my character when he gets hurt.

If it's going to take several hours just to get a basic starter kit, then unfortunately I have to make the decision that I've got

better things to do with my time. That's not realism, it's just a broken game.

I've said this before and I'll say it again - single players need to be able to blood themselves more easily. I really resent

that paired players can simply go to several places on the map which are guaranteed to have blood bags, and return to

full health immediately. Single players are already at a huge disadvantage as it is, and not being able to get yourself

healthy as easily as teams is just a kick in the teeth.

I'll suicide now, and give v1751 another few hours with a new character. If I die again before I can get basic gear, I'm going to

retire from the game and do something less boring than running from place to place looking through garbage, which is all this

patch has offered so far.

Hate to break it to you dude, but you could have eaten the meat raw without cooking it. You would have saved a lot of time and death, antibiotics are much easier to find than matches so dealing with infection form eating raw meat wouldn't be much of a problem at all.

I'm in a different position to many here, as I've only just started playing since 1.7.5.1 landed, so it's pretty much all I've ever known. There's only been a couple of times in the 24-36 hours I've spent in-game where I've muttered 'bullshit' to myself:

Zombies walking through walls/doors at will.

I have no problem with Zombies being sneaky, hiding round corners, chasing me for miles, that's fine - part of the experience. However, being hit by a zombie that's phased through a wall is utterly frustrating and demoralising, especially in a survival game where a single hit can have dire consequences. If that zombie gets a lucky hit and breaks my leg, I'm pretty much dead unless I happen to be armed with a quiet gun in a very low-population area and also have some morphine. In a 'death is final' game, it's imperative that cheap deaths like that can't happen, or players will get frustrated and give up. For me, fixing this should be the biggest priority right now (assuming it's not already fixed in the standalone).

Spawning levels in isolated villages.

This one's a bit situational. I happened to be driving my SUV through an small village (can't even remember which one now, but it was one of the ones South of Stary Sobor), and I happened to just nudge a wrecked car. Boom. Two blown tires. Now, that's a bit annoying, but not entirely impossible, I guess. Either way, not a big issue. Unfortunately, I'd attracted the attention of a couple of zeds, so before hopping out and changing the wheels (the previous owner had the foresight to carry two spare wheels, for which I was very grateful!), I figured I'd run round the town and lose the zeds. Of course, my luck dictates that I somehow manage to run across another four or five zeds, and before you know it, I'm being chased out of the village (and it really was a small village - only about 10-12 buildings) into a field by a mob of about eight.

Fortunately, I had an M16A2 with a couple of clips, and a M1911 with plenty of ammo, so I figured I'd run into the middle of the field where I had a nice clear line of sight and just pick them off before losing any stragglers in the nearby woods and going round into the village from the other side - if the gunshots attracted any more, I'd have plenty of ammo to deal with it.

An hour later, I was still being chased by mobs of 8-9 zombies every time I tried to go anywhere near the town. I'd checked on the map, and there were no other buildings/towns or likely population centres nearby, so presumably all these zombies were living in a handful of buildings!

I tried everything - when it became obvious that the 'field' tactic wasn't going to work, I tried the 'distraction' tactic - stood on the edge of the town near a nice fir-lined forest, fired off a few rounds to get the aggro, then lead them on a merry chase through the woods before sneaking back round into town - only to be met by another batch of zombies fresh and ready to chase me.

I don't have a problem with gunshots attracting zombies, and I'm aware that the very nature of DayZ requires zombies to be spawned instantaneously to avoid groups of players just walking into cities and playing Call of Duty then picking the loot from an empty city, but there also needs to be some kind of sane upper limit to the number of zombies that can spawn in a given area and within a certain time period (not including high-activity areas like Cherno, Elektro, NWAF etc - high player count means zombies are going to be needed more or less constantly) - it took me upwards of two hours to finally grab enough time to retrieve both wheels from the trunk of the car and fit them, and even then I took some nasty hits as I drove away. That seems excessive to me.

Edited by Target Practice
  • Like 4

• Blood bags can give you an infection now
  • Water can make you sick unless you go through a process to boil it
  • Lots of annoyance added like when you eat canned food it puts the empty can into your inventory
  • Meat was split up into 5 different types (more bag slots needed as a result since diff. types don't stack)
  • Chopping wood attracts zombies
  • Zombie AI got a boost across the board, they hear better, (hit harder?),chase better, are harder to lose etc.(but are still bugged in so many annoying ways)
  • Zombies can damage cars and even pull players out of their cars
  • Ammo drops nerfed drastically

I'm actually really pleased with the direction they're heading. I am ALL for increasing the survival aspect of the game, in fact most of these changes you've listed are things I wanted to be in the game for ages (boiling water, blood bags giving infection, zombies spawning while in a vehicle and players not being invulnerable to zombies in vehicles among others). Moreover, meat never stacked to begin with.

I do think that with zombies being the buggiest feature in any game ever they should be fixing them before making them harder. When they're fixed I'm all for having BRUTAL zombies, but I want them to be proper difficult to handle and not artificially difficult because they're super glitchy. That said, last week I've been playing on a server where zombie damage and numbers have been increased tenfold, they're able to hit you while you're running and they spawn randomly in the woods, and vanilla zombies are laughable after this experience :P

I made my comments and remarks earlier so I just would like to add;

Zeds can hit trough moving vehicle with unbroken glass and eventually brake bones. (this is now known I believe)

Animals - As a survivor I don't carry blood bags. My problem though is that animals simply disappear at times, (not always though) before I get to them across field. (400-600m). It's not easy as it is and vanishing animals make it real tough for lone players. It'd also seem there are far less animals at night.

I can't stress enough that when there are couple people on servers (donno, mostly survivors I guess), finding an animal can be harder than finding silenced MP5.

# Please consider at least slightly increasing animal spawns, as zeds can take loads of blood and again, as survivor its extremely hard some days, usually when many ppl online.

I'm in a different position to many here, as I've only just started playing since 1.7.5.1 landed, so it's pretty much all I've ever known. There's only been a couple of times in the 24-36 hours I've spent in-game where I've muttered 'bullshit' to myself:

Zombies walking through walls/doors at will.

I have no problem with Zombies being sneaky, hiding round corners, chasing me for miles, that's fine - part of the experience. However, being hit by a zombie that's phased through a wall is utterly frustrating and demoralising, especially in a survival game where a single hit can have dire consequences. If that zombie gets a lucky hit and breaks my leg, I'm pretty much dead unless I happen to be armed with a quiet gun in a very low-population area and also have some morphine. In a 'death is final' game, it's imperative that cheap deaths like that can't happen, or players will get frustrated and give up. For me, fixing this should be the biggest priority right now (assuming it's not already fixed in the standalone).

Indeed. I just spawned fresh on a server, ran around obtaining the essential survival tools which took me roughly an hour. I was on the top floor of some flats looking for food/drink when suddenly a zombie somehow detected me even though it was pitch black outside and I was crouch walking. Before I can run downstairs and get out the zombie enters the building and then promptly teleports up some stairs, instantly knocks me unconcious and breaks my legs. I wake up after losing about 6-7k blood and I'm forced to shoot him with my revolver which attracts at least 10 other zombies which eventually kill me because I keep passing out from blood loss. It's the kind of thing that's been happening since the mod was released and it's a bit disappointing to see that it still hasn't been fixed. At this point I'm assuming it's impossible to fix.

Edited by porkus_maximus

I have personally learned (mostly the hard way) that zombies can hit you through walls and thus i make sure to keep my distance from walls.

The other reason i keep my distance from walls is because i know my characters body parts can stick through walls and be hit by bullets.

I have also learned where zombies tend to walk through walls, this is especially true in the stores. And i have learned where zombies simply cannot go.

There are a few rooftops where zombies can never reach you and there are a few places zombies can never pathfind to hit you.

I have learned how zombies walk/run inside certain buildings. Thus it's easy for me to slip past them with some patience.

Sure, there are some "annoying" glitches and illogical bugs (putting your 10 slot rifle into a 8 slot packpack to have it disappear on you forever for instance) but once you learn about it you learn to not repeat the same procedure. It's not like your chances of doing it wrong with an AS50 is so high you would rage quit over it. I have lost a few assault rifles that way but i have learned and now i make sure i have the room needed.

Then there's the glitches you can do with car wheels. If you have one slot in your inventory you can take the car wheel and it will momentarily disappear but once you drop 5 items from your inventory it magically appears and you can now repair your vehicle and pick up the stuff you dropped.

All in all, it's just a matter of knowing about the bugs and play the game with them.

A final reminder to you all... DayZ is in the ALPHA stage still. This means we are playing a mod that hasn't even reached a stage where players should be playing it for real. We are playing the versions where new features are added, the gameplay being structured and balanced and only in BETA stage will bugs be ironed out.

This is not a finished game... Deal with it or play a finished game.

I have personally learned (mostly the hard way) that zombies can hit you through walls and thus i make sure to keep my distance from walls.

I have learned how zombies walk/run inside certain buildings. Thus it's easy for me to slip past them with some patience.

All in all, it's just a matter of knowing about the bugs and play the game with them.

A final reminder to you all... DayZ is in the ALPHA stage still. This means we are playing a mod that hasn't even reached a stage where players should be playing it for real. We are playing the versions where new features are added, the gameplay being structured and balanced and only in BETA stage will bugs be ironed out.

This is not a finished game... Deal with it or play a finished game.

I think everyone recognises this is an alpha, but singing that catch cry doesn't change anything.

The point is that the devs should be fixing the bugs in the zombies before making them harder or adding new stuff.

All we end up with is the zombies being even more buggy than they were before, enough to now make the amount of grind almost not worth playing.

Edited by nutshot

While 1.7.5 doesn't push anything much on me personally, I feel that if we make zombies harder that we could get some zombie fighten' weapons. For example, more common melee weapons with more variety, a very quiet .22 pistol or rifle, or something like that.

lol.. the reason i got into dayz was because of the survival aspect... that you had to survive in a zombie apocalypse.. i gotta say that the zombies wasnt very impressive in the first gameplay videos i saw.

but instead the humans that you encountered and that you could build your own little camp, that you had to hunt animals, scavenge for food and weapons. Thats why dayz caught my eye, that and because i was already a huge Arma 2 fan

To be completely honest... even with the latest patch it is very simple to RUN into Elektro/Cherno, get basic kid (matches, knife, gun, hatchet, food, drink) and leave within the hour. I've noticed an increase in the amount of Zombies chasing me, they are however VERY easy to shake off and numbers mean nothng if they can't hit you.

As a player who used to run miles back and forth in maze of Alien buildings on Mars/Phobos, whatever, in search of spared medikit or ammo for shotgun in Quake 2 or Doom 2 I see DayZ in pink tinted nostalgia goggles and I love it. But as open minded person I understand it can be annoying for someone who is used to hide behind a wall and wait for his health to regenerate and for that all ammo/weapons he need are straight on way to finnal boss.

Four hours for a vital piece of starter kit is a bit extreme by anyone's standards (anyone who has a life outside of gaming, a job and a family, anyway). Granted I may have just been very unlucky that time.

But the main point I was making is that for single players, eating meat is absolutely necessary, whereas teams can just forget about it completely. I wouldn't mind the difficulty so much if everyone had to go through the same thing, but teams have access to an overpowered mechanism that single players can't access. If bloodbags were taken out, and everyone had to think about finding matches, knives and an animal before their first serious injury, then there would be a hell of a lot of complaints about how difficult it can be, and what a waste of time it is before you can get started in earnest.

Hate to break it to you dude, but you could have eaten the meat raw without cooking it. You would have saved a lot of time and death, antibiotics are much easier to find than matches so dealing with infection form eating raw meat wouldn't be much of a problem at all.

You only get between 100-200 health points for raw meat. So to gain 4000 blood to get me just to half health it would take about 60 meats (about 15 animals). I'd be likely to get infection 6 times, so I would also need to try to find that many antibiotics without taking a zombie hit or encountering a player. And I'd STILL need to find matches before my next serious injury. So no, not really a good solution.

• Like 1

The patch is cool. It improves the game a lot. Dayz is not supposed to be a pvp game, but a survival game.

That said, some of the claims of people in this forums are understandable.

Improve it, don't simply remove the patch. Some things need to be improved, like, for example, the possibility to apply yourself a bloodbag. Why the hell not? Just make the bloodbags rare, very rare, and add the possibility to give some of your own blood to people. That's survival. (We could obviate the blood types for playability' sake.)

Also, make it so that giving a blood transfusion requires more time, not just 6 seconds.

Oh, not that, make blood transfusions so that they can't be applied whilst in combat.

Edited by Mitor
  • Like 1

It improves the game a lot. Dayz is not supposed to be a pvp game, but a survival game.

Explain how it improves the survival game please.

Survival is no easier or harder than it was in 1.7.4. I need exactly the same tools to survive with the addition of needing 1(!) empty tin can to boil my water with, matches just seem to take a little while longer to find now. If I want to play a mountain man that spends 100% his time in the forest eating animals and drinking pond water then I do everything exactly the same as before, only now I have to boil my water.

Oh, please. Survival.

Zombies now are a more real threat. That's what it is important.

• Like 2

One of the main things I can stop thinking about is, if they are ZOMBIES, shouldn't there be like different types of them, some that are slower because they are missing their legs, some that can't hit as hard becuase they are missing hands or arms, some that can't see as far because their face is smashed in, etc, not just a walker, a crawler and a lying down-er.

I think that there a some big problems with the mod that need to be fixed like what everyone is talking about, the overly complicated way to do simple things: eg, I want some water in DayZ but if I drink it, I'll get AIDS and die. So in order to get some hydration I need to search through Cherno for a water purification kit, or make a fire to boil it, but when getting wood to make the fire, that'll attract zombies, and when I try to run from them they'll gang-rape me. In the small chance I escape from them, I drink my water and be on my way, until I need to eat and then thats just another story.

Doing simple tasks in this game like drinking water and gathering food shouldn't have to be a fucking project. I completely understand that they are trying to make this game like a proper zombie apocalypse, but if I wanted to do that I would go and create a zombie virus myself, but I'm playing COMPUTER GAME! I don't want to spend half my time gathering shit to purify a cup of water!

Doing simple tasks in this game like drinking water and gathering food shouldn't have to be a fucking project. I completely understand that they are trying to make this game like a proper zombie apocalypse, but if I wanted to do that I would go and create a zombie virus myself, but I'm playing COMPUTER GAME! I don't want to spend half my time gathering shit to purify a cup of water!

This is what I've always believed this game will be. If I want to play some fast action zombie game I choose for example L4D. DayZ isn't just survive against the zombies or humans, it's also survive against the environment.

Water purification or meat cooking isn't really that hard what you make it sound. Empty tin cans, hatchets, knives, animals, water bottle, and matches can be found pretty easily. If you don't like cooking or purify water then you can eat canned food and drinks with no risk of infection. Btw the infection chance isn't too big if you drink unpurified water and antibiotics are easy to come by nowadays.

• Like 2