Sign in to follow this  
samzerks88

Is Cherno based on Chernobyl?

Whenever i play DayZ i just imagine Cherno is inspired by Chernobyl, It's post apocalypse, industrial city. Just like Chernobyl.

Even the name is similliar, Chernogorsk, Chernobyl. Unless 'Cherno' is russian for city or something.

Wow, what a blatant ripoff. I wonder if the people living there know the plan for their city was completely stolen from a video game? (;

Also idk why this always bugs me but Chernobyl is the name of the PLANT. The city is called Pripyat.

• Like 4

Pripyat was the city with the Nuclear Power Station, not Chernobyl. Neither of them is totally abandoned, even though it was (as of 2010) illegal to live in Pripyat. Many "old-timers", specially self-sustaining farmers/hunters, decided to return to their homes...the Ukrainian Police, and officials, generally turn a blind-eye to these activities. Wildlife, specially wolves, are flourishing, and it has become an adventure-tourism destination...yes, there are companies with packages that "permit" you to visit Pripyat (non-officially when I was there), you just can't go near the "Sarcophagus", and a couple of other "hot-spots". I visited, with a couple of friends, in 2011, and the place is absolutely beautiful, pristine, and has very few pests (humans).

If you wish to visit I'm sure Google will point you in the right direction (there is an Ukrainian Radical Tourism Company with very well organized trips...not sure if they are totally legal but, like I said, the Ukrainian Authorities tend to ignore people that get "slightly lost", and go walkabout 50/60 miles from where they should be). Of course there is a thriving night-life (in Chernobyl), with female "entertainment" being the main course...

• Like 1

It's not based on Pripyat but in fact a real location in the Czech Republic. You can follow the link and see it for yourself in googlemaps.

The environment and especially the buildings have been recreated with a stunning attention to detail!

Do these hills look kind of familiar?

3KYKch_zpsaa53f7b2.jpg

Perhaps this looks even more versant?

sam0620v_zps5b5aa915.jpg

Yup that's right!

Guiduh_zps1d230c2d.jpg

It is indeed

uyk86h_zpsa0c3dad5.jpg

2hhK1h_zps28aa7fa8.jpg

With its barns

j7Wjdh_zps084e9b32.jpg

There is even more awesome stuff such as this trailer we always wanted to strap on our bicycles

sTFuHh_zpsf7b0374a.jpg

Or that waterpump that has satisfied our thirst so many times

5E4WBh_zps228edf41.jpg

I wonder how many of us would actually be able to kind of navigate in that "unknown" territory already :P

Edited by PurePassion
  • Like 1

god could you imagine like being There with 75 other people all equipped with Airsoft. I would love to visit There.

god could you imagine like being There with 75 other people all equipped with Airsoft. I would love to visit There.

I can see it now...

"Take a tour of lovely Chernarus. Visit your favorite sniping spots and see how they match up to your gaming experience."

hmm... after the just saw rocket again thread I question every image of rocket...

• Like 1

Someone once told me that Chernogorsk means "Black Mountain City" and Zelenogorsk is "Green Mountain City", so I've always thought that. Dunno if it's true.

Isn't there a photoblog out there someplace of a few people going there on vacation and taking pictures of each other doing DayZ cosplay with cans of beans? I'm pretty sure I saw something like that once.

Chernarus is based on a real place, only in real life it's on a much larger scale.

Namalsk on the other hand, in vorkuta it really does feel like your in Chernobyl.

Someone once told me that Chernogorsk means "Black Mountain City" and Zelenogorsk is "Green Mountain City", so I've always thought that. Dunno if it's true.

Isn't there a photoblog out there someplace of a few people going there on vacation and taking pictures of each other doing DayZ cosplay with cans of beans? I'm pretty sure I saw something like that once.

http://imgur.com/a/qEkrm

Wow they really captured that place absolutely perfectly in-game. All my god damn beans to the person who posted those.

Man, it feels cool seeing those pictures knowing you've been there in a game. I always think it's cool when game developers base the game of a real location that nobody is ever heard of such as Chernogorsk. It's like the map Celle that is based of a real german town I think, and a simple Wiki search shows you how accurate it is.

As for Pripyat, I'd be really interested in going there. For some reason I've always been interested in in visiting places where incidents such as that or where natural disaters have taken place. I'd have to invest in a Ghille suit and put on my best Scottish accent first though obviously. B)

think about going there with your family. and you know where everything is without looking at a map.

"And this spot here is where I was betrayed and shot in the back of the head.."

"And this spot here is where I rolled off the hospital roof.."

"And this spot here... Ah, you get the point"

B)