Sign in to follow this  
Blobmaster

Shooting system for the standalone

Good morning everybody !

So I've bought arma 2 only to test dayz, I've played dayz and had really good impressions. Now just something who is a bit hard for me. I used to play day of defeat, other shooters since bf 1942 !!! Yeah, I know... Something who really desapointed me is the shooting system. I found it slow and really hard to shoot at someone, or zombies, not reactiv enough at all. Actually, that the only thing (and a bit the zombies epileptic moovement) who gives me "issues" about this game.

I read a lot of review, devs video (interview), and devs blog. I know that you are working a lot (pictures are beautifull and boots where just... Just too much... Great). I understood you are creating like a new engine, what is it planned about the shoot system, moovement, ballistic ?

Thank you.

Edited by Blobmaster

I have to say that ArmA's mouse sensitivity has some issues... turn up the sensitivity and turn down smoothing and it's more responsive, but then it gets harder to aim at long range. And some mouses seem to work a lot better than others.

Yup I did it, but I feel the moovement and reflexes I have become really weird in this game. Is it planned to change it ? If yes, I'm almost 10000% that the standalone will be a huge succes. They have everything to make a great game, a real mmo sandbox survival, and clever devs. They really took the right decision to wait before to release it and to give themself time to be creative.

/Edit : Thx for your reply Gews

Edited by Blobmaster

Might also be your fps, arma has a lot of fps issues. Try optimizing your settings a bit (just look up some guides). Low fps can make aiming quite slow and unresponsive.

Actually my brother bought it too, he is also an hardcore gamer and had the same feelings. I turned off couple of settings (to minmize the blur effect for exemple and some stuffs). It is really a problem to aim. Hard to explain more.

I got a good config, my brother too (in sli) I know that is not an hardware issue.

Edited by Blobmaster

Look up some more in depth guides, if your computer isn't very capable you need to squeeze every bit of fps you can get. Like I said, look up some guides.

It's mostly intentional to simulate weapon inertia. You can certainly expect less clunky animations and movement in the standalone but it's not going to change into a twitch shooter.

• Like 3

Look up some more in depth guides, if your computer isn't very capable you need to squeeze every bit of fps you can get. Like I said, look up some guides.

Mmm well, I will try again but I don't think it is an fps issue. I've got 16giga of ram, a i-2600 proc and an ati 560 ti (my brother have a double 580 in sli)...

It's mostly intentional to simulate weapon inertia. You can certainly expect less clunky animations and movement in the standalone but it's not going to change into a twitch shooter.

This : Inertia, completly. I really feel that the inertia is way too big.

Edited by Blobmaster

Arma2 is more infantry simulator than arcade fps game, so you will never be running around popping 5 headshots in 3 seconds.

That said, the higher your framerate the better. Even tho your system is probably giving you 100+ frames in generic run and gun shooters arma2 will bog it down, big-time lol.

I'm new to dayZ, but I've been running bohemias army games since the original opF came out, and personally hope they keep the sim-like aiming system in the dayZ stand-alone(or at least dont change it to much).

• Like 1

Do you experience

if you have mouse smoothing off? If so have you played with GPU_MaxFramesAhead and GPU_DetectedFramesAhead? It can be laggy if you haven't tried to adjust those to suit you.

You can't get rid of the negative mouse acceleration in Arma 2 which might annoy you also. According to

video's comment it's removed in Arma 3 so we hopefully get the same in DayZ. Edited by St. Jimmy

Guns should auto-aim if they are within a metre or two of you and your gun is already aiming within a 2 foot radiout of their torso.

The reason I think this is a good idea is because in real life if you have the pleasure of owning a gun (I don't) you would automaticaly aim at someone infront of you if they atacked you. But in game if you have a zombie jumpout you ave to react then aim then shoot

Guns should auto-aim if they are within a metre or two of you and your gun is already aiming within a 2 foot radiout of their torso.

The reason I think this is a good idea is because in real life if you have the pleasure of owning a gun (I don't) you would automaticaly aim at someone infront of you if they atacked you. But in game if you have a zombie jumpout you ave to react then aim then shoot

For the love of God, uninstall ARMA II.

• Like 5

I turn my mouse settings right down and it improves things for me. Don't chase the zeds when aiming, let them walk/run into your line of site. I also like the fact it's not a twitch shooter, gives us old boys more of a chance. ;)

Auto aim? Crikey! Be glad you posted that here and not on the BiS forums...

• Like 2

Don't have time to play on DayZ those days, but I've taken all your advices and thank you. I will give you soon a feedback.

Here the deal.

You know all these other shooters, they generate a bullet from the center of your screen, ArmA does not. In ArmA the bullet spawns in the chamber of your rifle and depending on the weapon's ballistics, the bullet travels in a ballistic arc to it's target. In ArmA you have to take several factors into consideration, when you pull the trigger:

The distance to the target.

The zeroing of your weapon.

The elevation of the sights above the barrel.

This is not your standard console controller auto-aim shoot em up.

If you want to shoot straight, you must be willing to think and you must be willing to learn.

Edited by Dallas
  • Like 1

The reason I think this is a good idea is because in real life if you have the pleasure of owning a gun (I don't) you would automaticaly aim at someone infront of you if they atacked you.

That is only valid if you have been bitten by a radioactive spider.

Here the deal.

You know all these other shooters, they generate a bullet from the center of your screen, ArmA does not. In ArmA the bullet spawns in the chamber of your rifle and depending on the weapon's ballistics, the bullet travels in a ballistic arc to it's target. In ArmA you have to take several factors into consideration, when you pull the trigger:

The distance to the target.

The zeroing of your weapon.

The elevation of the sights above the barrel.

This is not your standard console controller auto-aim shoot em up.

If you want to shoot straight, you must be willing to think and you must be willing to learn.

I think you missunderstood me. The problem is more about the moovement to be able to aim correctly, I didn't had any weapons like snipers ore anything else to be able to test ballistic fully and how it could works. The inertia word resume really well what I felt when I played this game. I used to play operation flashpoint long time ago but can't remember clearly how it was. I am new in arma games.

I also found the cross weird but cool to descover something new like this. My main impression was : Zombies are super fast, and I felt amazingly slow.

Edited by Blobmaster