HamHamm

As a new player, This mod is so difficult its un-playable.

im not playing this game until they bring back the weapon you get at the start.

bandits have the upper hand now.

people that made this mod, basically updated the mod, for you have no weapon, no food, no drink and no ammo, and bandits now have easy targets, whats easier, shoot someone that has a gun or someone that has no gun.

they updated this mod like this because they thought, it would make survivors work together more, but unfortunely it ain't working. all they did was made it more difficult for us survivors.

As someone who felt that every patch up to 1.7.1.5 after 1.7.0 was completely unplayable for new players, the idea that you need a starting pistol to be able to play this game now is complete BS. Stealthing around zombies is not a problem whatsoever if you're cautious, and finding good gear is easily solved by looking at a map and avoiding Elektro/Cherno until you have that gear. Yeah, it can be frustrating to get plugged by a bandit, but depending on where I spawn, I have about three go-to locations for getting new gear whenever I die that are sparsely (if ever) populated and not very long runs.

people that made this mod' date=' basically updated the mod, for you have no weapon, no food, no drink and no ammo, and bandits now have easy targets, whats easier, shoot someone that has a gun or someone that has no gun.

they updated this mod like this because they thought, it would make survivors work together more, but unfortunely it ain't working. all they did was made it more difficult for us survivors.

[/quote']

I disagree.

Sure there are bandits killing survivors on spawn but you couldn't do anything about that with only a pistol.

Seeing that before the patch i rarely shot with my pistol even once in the first hour i actually felt no difference except that you now actually have to find food/water asap because you don't have anything of that from the start, which i really like.

I also don't get all that "it's impossible" talk. The last 2 days i tried out starting with the goal to find 2 water bottles, hunting knife, matches, hatchet, map, compass and a binocular when i found all that i killed myself in some stupid ways (because i can't bring myself to press respawn ^^) by running shooting into a group of bandits or something like that and start over. Out of a total of now 7 attempts i managed to find all that 4 times in 1 hour, 2 times in ~2hours and only 1 time i didn't make it of the coast.

All that on full populated vet servers.

i really don't get what is so hard at all...sure if you play your first few lives in this game you won't be able to do that but you should learn fast what not to do and what nets you more profit for your risk.

So in short: I really like the no start gun setting. Only annoyance is all these barbwiring inside of buildings while the toolbox is so rare (atleast it feels like it)

Game is easy. When you chain spawns till u get electro/cherno then run down street looking at loot in firestation, church, army tents and supermarket. If you find something you want find a building with a way in and out. Run the zed's through it should give you enough time to loot. Here's a loot map http://dayzmap.info/

Then you may as well uninstall the mod, I read somewhere in a interview that rocket said he had always intended that we start without a pistol/starter weapon, We only had a pistol at spawn before so it made rockets life easier in closed testing.

I prefer starting without a pistol & id way the largest majority do too.

Look at this image of my gear(i have a Epi-Pen in my backpack too) > http://i.imgur.com/bgy22.jpg

Now i was a fresh spawn & found all of the above gear in 20 - 25 mins max all in Elektro, Now fair enough im not a noob, Ive been playing days for quite a while now, I know where to look and i kind of know the two major city's, Berezino & Balota airstrip pretty well.

All im saying is stick with it, Get to learn the what buildings you can enter & loot.

All i want is a compass and im heading way up north away from the chaos of the city's ... Gonna live off the land.

Playing alone right now is hard i agree unless you do things you shouldnt be doing, for example running to a house or camp with loot then abort and rejoin to get rid of zombies.

Dont do that! you want to play the game as intended or not at all.

Because you start without a weapon the first thing you think about is naturally a weapon and how to aquire one, but what is most important in the long run is morphine/blood packs, water bottles (not soda) and cans of food, or if you are lucky enough to aquire a hatchet, box of matches and a hunting knife, you only need to find a animal to gut the animal and roast the meat on a fire.

First get one of your friends you can trust that does not shoot you in the back when given the chance ( i was kidding! real friends dont do that) and find a spot with loot by scouting it first, then one of you run in and pull all the zombies and run with them while the other go in and loot.

Now that you have a simple weapon handgun hatchet or whatever you now now need to focus hard on supplys for a while, go to both the hospitals in Chernogorsk or another town and check the medical tents for blood packs, morphines/epi-pen and pain killers.

Remember the most powerful weapon is not always the best because without ammo a weapon is useless.

Shotguns are great at close range and the easiest weapon to find ammo for in the game so aquiring one is a good idea unless you want to kill at range.

Ak is way more powerful than a mp5 and takes less shots to kill zombies with, but a mp5 attract less attention to its surroundings with a silencer attached.

To travel away from spawns and further into the land here is what you need to survive untill the next supply town.

1 Rifle/assault rifle or sniper rifle

4-8 mags depending how much you will be shooting on your way, even small towns can have alot of zombies so look at your debug monitor and think about what you kill before its dead.

1 Handgun - makarov is usable but honestly its trash if you ask me, a m1911, g17 or revolver is what you want and remember you can convert ammo.

3-5 blood packs, 2 morphines, 1-2 epi-pen, 3-5 cans of food and 1-3 water bottles that you can resuse on small ponds or wells, soda is onetime use and is only for emergency.

Morphine, blood packs, food and water is the most important things mentioned here, unless you have a long range weapon and plan not to get hit i would not leave without having two morphines in my bag.

The green army bags you often see on the ground you should always check what is in it, you can aquire a map and a gps or compass if your lucky but also ammo.

Always check zombies for cans of food or water bottles.

people that made this mod' date=' basically updated the mod, for you have no weapon, no food, no drink and no ammo, and bandits now have easy targets, whats easier, shoot someone that has a gun or someone that has no gun.

[/quote']

here is my history: was going to meet up whit a friend, we met up and went to cherno on the way into cherno we saw a unarmed guy and my friend wanna give him a chance since he was new. we went around cherno found him guns ect, ect. i had all the best thing in the whole map(gps, nvg, rangefinder, AS50, m4a1 cco SD, gilli suit, 3 antibiotic , coyote backpack) you wanna know what he did? he fucking shoot me and my friend! now you see i dont care no more if they have guns or not i just kill them beacuse they will become a danger at a point.

I'm finding it quite fun actually. I don't complain and actually try it out. Sure some people don't like the lack of starting gear but for me i find it easy to deal it. The first thing i do is find a hatchet. Having that serves two purposes. Later on you will use it to cut wood to cook meat. And as soon as you've got it, it will be your primary melee weapon. It's a bit screwed up with the whole reloading situation. The animation of the player inserting a new 'magazine' into the axe is funny :) But that's going to be ironed out in the next update.

The axe is a silent weapon and should you aggro a zombie just stay patient and kill it and move on. Get a backpack, some morphine (don't underestimate the zeds abilities to break you're legs) I've had to crouch for hours on end to hit a city and find some morphine. And then get the hell away from the coast and move on up north and raid barns and military areas (stary sober is good for this) but be careful in certain locations, just because you're up north doesn't mean you're safe.

Good luck.

here is my history: was going to meet up whit a friend' date=' we met up and [b']went to cherno

"I went to Cherno and got killed" stories start sounding so funny after awhile. Like "I touched a hot stove and it hurt! Now I smash all stoves." or "One time I jumped out the window and got killed. Nerf windows!"

I was new recently. I have had no problem playing. I have had some trouble staying alive, but playing works just fine. If getting killed bothers you so much go play COD where it has less consequence.

No starting gun means far less random shooting sprees along the coast from people just being annoying, letting off steam, or getting an early start on their Kill Score.

No starting food means, in one simple switch, bean bandits became a thing of the past.

Although I enjoy the threat of being killed by players at any time, I REALLY think these changes are great steps forward.

I have not, (except for that 24 hour period of crazy-spawn-zombies-with-crazy-eye-direction-detection), noticed zombies being any better at detecting me. But I fully accept that belly-crawling is a full 1/3 of the way you need to move in this game.

Initially I was uber disgruntled at DayZ because

A) I had no weapons to defend myself

B) In order to get weapons, I had to get by the zombies camping the buildings

C) Catch 22

But then I realized that zombies will eventually patrol (even if theyre just standing in there) if you just wait it out, thus letting you sneak in and grab whatever you see. I gave their dection mechanics a lot of undue credit. Now I just sneak in and bug out of apartments. Easy peasy.

So long as you only have one or two bars of detection, nevermind 0 of both, you should be damn near invisible. It seems like it takes a lot for the zombies to be alerted to you.

When in doubt, crawl and/or hold shift to crawl extra slow.

Don't be afraid to run across empty fields or through wooded areas at full-bore. Zombies typically lurk around villages and buildings and even then, they cant detect stuff that far away.

Dont worry, disgruntled newb. Just suicide sneak and learn what exactly you can get away with. It's not exactly like this new patch's starting inventory gives you anything a freshly spawned character cant lose.

here is my history: was going to meet up whit a friend' date=' we met up and [b']went to cherno

"I went to Cherno and got killed" stories start sounding so funny after awhile. Like "I touched a hot stove and it hurt! Now I smash all stoves." or "One time I jumped out the window and got killed. Nerf windows!"

I just want to be able to shot a couple things if need be!

If u want shoot a couple things u will die, because u attract Z's.

Grab yourself a hatchet and go for meele, its the best u can do at the beginning.

Also, highest priority has morphine, because if u break a bone in most cases u are dead. The tools with the highest priority are a hatchet, a hunting knife and matches.

Stay alert, allways be prepared to run but never run if its not necessary, that means don't crawl to much u wont get up fast enough if they get aware of you. If u press 2x W u sprint, that is a bit faster for a short time than just running.

Run through barnes, with doors open at both sides, that slows Z's down also run up hills zigzag that are to steep to run them straight and run through bushes as often u can.

good luck :D

No starting gun means far less random shooting sprees along the coast from people just being annoying' date=' letting off steam, or getting an early start on their Kill Score.

No starting food means, in one simple switch, bean bandits became a thing of the past.

Although I enjoy the threat of being killed by players at any time, I REALLY think these changes are great steps forward.

I have not, (except for that 24 hour period of crazy-spawn-zombies-with-crazy-eye-direction-detection), noticed zombies being any better at detecting me. But I fully accept that belly-crawling is a full 1/3 of the way you need to move in this game.

[/quote']

No starting gun means free griefing to coastal trolls with weapons.

I've only seen one person so far in the game and I saved his life and we teamed up until a door crushed and killed him. I have been solo so far and I don't find the game to be hard. You must sneak around a lot though.

Pro tip: Never use the Enfield to kill ANYTHING unless you know it is the only zombie in a mile :D

New spawnies should get a butter knife as starting weapon. Or a fork.

New spawnies should get a butter knife as starting weapon. Or a fork.

I'll take a spoon so I can drink water properly. :)

Keep trying, when first starting and getting used to the range of each level of noise, (1, 2, 3 bar etc...) it's best to just sneak everywhere, be over-cautious. Out in the open like on the beach, large grassy fields or up in the forest, sprinting is fine, but as soon as you see/approach any sort of building, crouch run, as soon as you see a zombie, walk/crouch walk and keep your distance. Don't be afraid to go prone if you feel like you need to.

Zombie hearing is good, but eyesight bad, so you only really need to focus on the noise you make. But going right against a wall can bring how much you're seen down to 0 bar. So when crouching/prone against a wall, they can more or less walk right up and past you without detecting you.

Also, sprinting on roads makes huge noise... never do it. When crossing roads near towns or cities, walk over them, sprinting over a road is like shooting a gun, when I first started I treated roads and rock/concrete like grass and moved quickly across them, I got so much aggro from zombies who were seemingly nowhere near me.

In my experience, towns rarely yield good loot. With the majority of buildings not being enterable, and the few that are having low yield loot, you're lucky if you find a can of soda, and unless the town has hardly any zombies, I find it isn't worth the risk*. *Unless... you are very low on food and/or water, then you might be lucky.

Barns are a great place to start, find barns, sneak inside and they are great places for loot, sometimes I go into a barn to find 3 primary weapons with ammo. Usually I have a choice going into a barn. And lots of generic loot is there. From memory... there must be 5 - 8 loot spawns inside of barns. Good place to go when new. As are hunting stands if the zombie guards have wandered off somewhere.

Warehouses and gas stations can be very useful. Or if you want to try... and get a good fast start, if you know where to go, hit Berezino, Elektro or Cherno, you need to be quiet and fast though. Get in and out of everywhere looting for everything you need. Cities are high threat places, much more likely to find other survivors.

I hit Berezino which is a smaller city, but packed with good loot, across 2 looting runs, I found myself a Makarov with 7 mags (good for killing zombies, ammo is plentiful), and a Shotgun with again plenty of ammo. An ALICE pack, tent, hatchet, hunting knife, watch, compass, map, matches, binoculars, plenty of bandages, painkillers and morphine. 4 Smoke grenades, and I packed away about 5 Soda and 5 Cans of food. And still consumed food while in Berezino to get my blood back to 12,000 before I left. The only problem is some apartment buildings may have zombies inside, so be careful...

Oh, and if you do aggro some zombies in a town or city, and you have a weapon of some kind, run into a building, they are forced to walk, makes them much easier to kill, you can just headshot them all fairly easily, or even take out a horde with just a hatchet. Which is one hell of a job out in the open when they are sprinting towards you.

Keep at it, eventually managing your noise becomes natural, you can move through towns and cities easily without getting any aggro.

Oh, and be careful with other survivors, I have only met about 5 who have been friendly, and about 30 who have shot me in the face instantly. Avoid them if possible.

And I still think fresh spawns should get a melee weapon, or be able to use themselves as a weapon, (kicking zombies away for example). It can be very harsh to newcomers.

No offense man, i´d just share my experience (as a newbie!!!) so far:

- i have not died once so far

- i have around 75 zombie kills

- i killed 2 players (and was spared by 1^^)

- i had really intense encounters with a load of zombies and one time with "pro-players" aswell

- i escourted a buddy who broke his leg in no-mans-land back to cherno and saved him

I HAD F*CKING FUN SO FAR !!!^^

... and yeah ... so i would consider it "unplayable" ...

-

No starting gun means free griefing to coastal trolls with weapons.

funny. want to see you take them snipers down 200meters +

with your makaroni.

best thing that could ever happen. never was so easy to team up with new survivors.

also if you cant survive the coast without weapons you wont last much longer with them.

this is actually a game that doesn't hold your hand. This is a real game.

Im new aswell to the mod since two days now. Ive played the Arma II games before though.

- First day.

*spawn* Where the hell am i, where is my map? *check inventory*What the.... where is my gun?!

Hmm oh I see a building over there, hey ho lets go! *blaaghhh* (friendly zombie greet) O hai mister zombie, there is no need for violence. Oh I guess there is..., leg it! *Bled to death*

*respawn* Right... lets do it a bit better this time.

*sneak, sneak* Oh i found a hatchet NEAT! *blaaagh* O hai mister zombie, what the..?! I need to reload?! the hatchet first? *Chop chop, zombie dead*

Right... lets find a gun! O hai mister survivor, can you tell me how to..... *pop in the head*

*respawn*

Right.. lets get into town again to find that gun... oh crap... another player. Hopefully this one is less psyc *pop, pop*..... sigh....i knew it...

(before i called it quits this happend a couple of times more)

Day 2

*respawn* right... towns are bad mkay, i gotta find a good place to find me some gear.

*google, ah so deer stands are the good places to find, right!*

-Deer stand 1. Sweet! loads of ammo, this is useful. Lets find another!

-Deer stand 2. Crap... empty cans.

-Deer stand 3. More ammo, yay!

-Deer stand 4. More ammo... erm i cant carry all of this... lets guess which gun im hopefully gonna find.

-Deer stand 5. Bandages and yet more ammo. Crap, im doing something wrong.

*google, AHA! Barns, lets find em*

-Barn 1. Damn 3 Zombies are inside. No Hatchet in my inventory. Lets try and find another one.

-Barn 2. Ah! a Hatchet again, better then nothing right? O hai mister player.. *pop, pop in the head*

*respawn*

Basicly the same as above happend but thankfully i didnt encounter a player untill i got very desperate trying to find a drink and food (both where red at that point) so i kinda stormed into town and got poped in the head by a sniper on the roof.

*respawn*

*walk, sneak, walk* Hey! an airfield! lets take a look in that control tower. Wow a M4! Lets get the hell outta here before i get popped in the head again! Yay im out now lets find some food and drinks!

After a hour of sneaking and walking around i got desparate again and went into the big town found plenty of drinks and just in the right moment a can of beans. At that time the indicator was blinking so i ate it where i found it.

*Oh no.... i hear machinegun fire in the distance... lets get the hell outta here (heart pounding like crazy).

*Makes it to the woods, and thats where i called it a day and logged out.

So yeah... right at the point when i started to no give a crap about the game tbh i finally had a good run. I realy started to think this game is impossible to play on your own, and started to feel very demotivated.

Im sure i will get popped in the head plenty times more but from the last experiance i feel motivated again to continue to learn this game, thankfully.

I do like the whole idea behind DayZ.

Not starting with a gun is a bit brutal because there are times that you are very unlucky and not find a single gun or melee weapon for many hours. But when you do though its a big reward.

I heard (in a video with the mod maker) that one of the reasons behind not having a weapon is that the Rocket hoped that that way peeps would work together a bit more. I didnt experiance that in one bit. I think that peeps are so afraid that when they finally find a weapon the gonna shoot you because theyre afraid that you will take thier gear. Or just for the lulz ofc.

Here is the video where he explains why Rocket removed the guns. (at 19 minutes 10 seconds)

Well played for the 1st time yesterday... yeah its damn hard. Not complaining. I simply have not been able to find any kind of weapon, nothing.

However it is the 1st game in a very long time that has raised my heart beat and hairs on the back of my neck.. literally..who would have thought crawling through a filed with no weapon surrounded my 10 plus groaning zombies could be so tense. Epic.

But i am struggling....but i enjoy a challenge.

The one thing that has pissed me off getting killed in the middle of nowhere by zombies, after reading that they are very rare in the wilderness....but the two times i've managed to get some half decent gear i've run into them in the middle of nowhere.. bad luck i assume.

Game is tough... no doubt.

.but the two times i've managed to get some half decent gear i've run into them in the middle of nowhere.. bad luck i assume.

Game is tough... no doubt.

you only think its middle of nowhere. there was either a deer stand or a loot house/barn nearby. there are no zombies in the middle of nowhere, unless there is a loot place nearby.