Sign in to follow this  
Ovation

Base Building in Standalone

Player underground bases

I have no confirmation of this information, I wanted to underline and clarify how i imagine base building will work.

Rocket has stated these bases will be instanced "As in separate from the game world but at the same time connected. He stated them as a personal place to store gear and keep your character "safe" so what does it mean?

My understanding goes something like this theoretically

As you survive in dayz you come to collect "tools" these tool slots are not connected to your bag but our fundamental things to find as they increase your survival in different areas, like matches/axe/hunter knife, are required to live purely on bush survival, i think base building will have the same type of tools required to build.

Once you have built your underground base i imagine its a place to store items, But here's the catch..

these bases are connected to your living character, These bases cannot be "destroyed" while the player is alive, but once you die in game these bases become "open" to anyone who finds them.

Why are they not destroy-able when the player is alive?

simple; they are safe havens for logging out and in, This does not mean they are not loot-able from people with skills capable of "unlocking" personal locks, But bear in mind they should not be either easy or safe to breach. Traps/defense of such bases should be apart of there design ext ext: But they give a player more purpose to protect/trade/stay alive and collect more items because once you die, that base is no longer yours, it is open, unsecured and totally loot-able/destroy-able to any Wandering Bambi..

this adds more concern to your life in-game you are not only to lose what you have on your player but also what you have collected over time with that character.

but remember they cannot be "destroyed" while a player is still alive that "owns" the base

it should be safe to logout of the game, go to bed, wake up with no concern of your player or your base,

BUT!!

looting of your base can still happen!!, think about it, if some lucky joe with skills managed to unlock the base, avoid a trap or two, then he is rewarded by filling he's back-pack with as much stuff as he can grab, but thats not alot of things remember? it's only he's backpack

he would have to risk two trips through your traps to get more things so your looking at minor theft possibly but no major sabotage.

Until death...

Exploration of the big wide world means death is almost always imminent. once your character has died, BAM!, your base is up for grabs of everything in it, including being trolled by some 13year old by destroying it completely!. harsh yeah?, tuff bickeys!

Also to mention it cannot be retaken, its security is now breached completely and your new character will have to start the collection all over again, he can try go back and scavenge some things but overall its unsafe, This way we all have a meta, we all feel longevity is rewarded, and death.....is hell.

Think of it like your back-pack, you keep it with you when you logout safe from harm, its a small place of storage "a base larger" but think of the bases not as clan sized but small. "perhaps then even further can be build into clan bases witch run under different rules.

Edited by Ovation
  • Like 1

*Also note there is blacked out text up the top*

HA!

To solve this problem, right click and drag over the blacked out text.

these bases are connected to your living character, These bases cannot be "destroyed" while the player is alive, but once you die in game these bases become "open" to anyone who finds them.

No thank you. Why does everyone want to make DayZ more like other games? Does anyone just enjoy it because there are no saves and nothing is safe? Where is the paranoia once you can have everything safe? People need to get over their obsession with clinging onto their gear and more into just the base survival of the game.

• Like 7

^ I agree to the extent of "nothing should be safe" These underground bases Beast are already planned.

i am suggesting them to be as no more safe then your backpack, once you die..you lose it.

Edited by Ovation
  • Like 1

Bases should be destroyable. If i am stalking someone and i see them enter a base, why shouldn't i be able to lob a grenade down the hatch?

• Like 3

Bases should be destroyable. If i am stalking someone and i see them enter a base, why shouldn't i be able to lob a grenade down the hatch?

Perhaps theres a venerability in opening your base to enter it, so there is the opportunity to stalk someone into the their base, kill them, and now the base is destroy-able

but if someone is logged out in there base and logs back in the next day to find there base destroyed and subsequently there character dead from being underground. would that not be unfair?

Edited by Ovation

That would be an issue. If someone found your base while you had logged out and proceeded to destroy it then what would happen to the player? I agree killing them is a bit harsh. It is a definite issue that needs to be addressed before bases are implemented.

• Like 1

^ i also agree to destroying bases, if anyone can think of another method around that problem then bases being destroyed while your offline could become a feature.

that is why my only solution to this is bases are destroy-able when the "maker of said base dies"

Edited by Ovation

I prefer in dayz "living in a living world". No offline parts... (atm)

It should destroy underground bases give the opportunity? Yes.

It should be easy? No.

You can´t destroy undergroundbases with a pistol only.

Something like this?

HE and C4 could the chance to loot rare/low.

Wooden structure... HE is needed. Each HE has 20% chance to destroy/ collapse parts of the undergroundbase.

Stone structure... C4 is needed. Each C4 has 90% chance to destroy/collapse parts of the undergroundbase.

We don´t know the concept of underground bases rocket is thinking about.

Maybe he is planing that you can skill/built some things in bases if you are offline like in eve online. Hard to discuss this way.

Edited by NoCheats

^ i also agree to destroying bases, if anyone can think of another method around that problem then bases being destroyed while your offline could become a feature.

that is why my only solution to this is bases are destroy-able when the "maker of said base dies"

With talk of underground bases being instanced the game could just have you spawn outside next to it if destroyed, at the last location before you entered the instanced base.

Edited by smasht_AU

I think that can be a good idea if you disconnect in the base of your clan, one npc "appear" with your guns and with your skin and protect the base while you are offline

Edited by Viriato-Oundil

With talk of underground bases being instanced the game could just have you spawn outside next to it if destroyed, at the last location before you entered the instanced base.

though the way i see it, death needs an increased punishment the longer you stay alive

this would increase the punishment thresh hold if you had more character attachment to a base you built

logging off for a day to come back to not have most your stuff is a punishment on unfair terms, but with "stealing" from bases still possible it means if you leave your base long enough like "offline more then a week"

you will come back to find all your things gone, but your base still there. "Remember these are underground" there not sitting around on the world in the way"

*edit* unfair because of punishment for not playing

it would not be hard to distroy most bases as there owner would most likely be dead... if not, find him and kill him if you want it destroyed.

Edited by Ovation

The base should not be lost when you die..... It should remain the same because you and your friends should be building bases together... (A bit like you have 4-5 people now working in teams to put tents and cars together)

There should be some sort of key making machine or what ever that makes keys to the base.

These keys not only open the doors but shuts down security measures/traps etc

The keys are then lost when you die (or stolen by other players)? If this is the case then you also need to be able to change the locks.. These locks can be physical or electronic?

The key machine can be either at the start of the base, so when you go back and "pick the lock" of the base you can easy make the key....... But so can randomness (if they have the materials and time)......

Or it can be at the back of the base and you have to fight your way past all the active security measures to get your base back :-)

On a kind of side note (that I mentioned before).... When members die and the base is empty a herd of zombies moves into the base as well (this is to signify your new character could be spawned on the issland months later, as in its NOT you... Your dead), so you have to fight past security measures and also mass zombies, hard when all you got is a hatchet you found on way back to base lol

To understand what I mean here please think about walking dead and the prison clearing episodes.

Also if you can break in and you have the right tools (C4 etch) then you should be able to blow it up.... But if you a lone wolf and you have the skill to break in you may be better using it as a place to loot stuff from..

I think lone players would use the bases as there personal stashes while the bigger group gather for him :-)

And clans would go around looting and then destroying the bases...

Edited by WalBanger
  • Like 1

Okay i just want to make one thing clear

My idea does NOT evolve clan base building, These should be somewhat different thing either on the surface or underground bigger bases would take a lot of thought in order to work correctly.

i am talking about smaller personally bases that could hold a bed and space for storage

this would be a smaller premises of larger structures "a more single person meta game"

Don't get me wrong though idea an input of clan bases is good because i am also exctreamly excited about them

Okay i just want to make one thing clear

My idea does NOT evolve clan base building, These should be somewhat different thing either on the surface or underground bigger bases would take a lot of thought in order to work correctly.

i am talking about smaller personally bases that could hold a bed and space for storage

this would be a smaller premises of larger structures "a more single person meta game"

Don't get me wrong though idea an input of clan bases is good because i am also exctreamly excited about them

Ahh I see, but I don't think you can distinguish between the 2.... What's to stop me build a "clan" base for my self if I was dedicated enough and had the time?

Yeh dont make them out of the gameworld, safe areas in a game such as this...it would encourage camping and hiding away.

Maybe say if you find a keypad and had a password to the base...but blocking entry to everyone but the baseowner? dont think i would like it. But then its not my game :D

Yeh dont make them out of the gameworld, safe areas in a game such as this...it would encourage camping and hiding away.

Maybe say if you find a keypad and had a password to the base...but blocking entry to everyone but the baseowner? dont think i would like it. But then its not my game :D

I don't thinking camping and hiding away would be an issue....

If your in a safe area that is hidden and very difficult to get into camping would just be stupid..... I know people camp in areas for 10 maybe even 15minutes.... But 8 months for someone to come along? Don't think this will happen....

And what's point of hiding away? If you don't want any action and don't want to do anything in game log off?

What I hearing is that players want to be able to destroy a base even if the player is still alive but the problem is what happens if he/she log out in their base.

Solution:

Imagine an underground base, a player throws a grenade or use C4 to destroy the base.

The base is majorly damages, meaning all things are destroyed inside and the walls and structure are now week.

If the player who started the base is dead then after X number of hours/days the complex will collapse.

If the player is alive then when they next visit or spawn back into it will find all the damage and will need to brace the walls/fix a key point in a X number of hours or days before it simply collapses in.

This is a win win for both since the player who owns the base won't wakeup dead and the player who wants to destroy it, can (all inside tools items etc are all destroyed) but the collapse of the underground structure happens after player is back so it's fair for all.

Topic of Clan bases:

This could be done by simply setting up the key owner but others can add their names to the lease of the base so the mechanics apply to all names on the base ownership.

Either way players can go in and destroy all items, generators, your plumbing or what not which is part of the base development so player(s) would need to fix it of just scrap it and look for a new location for base.

What I hearing is that players want to be able to destroy a base even if the player is still alive but the problem is what happens if he/she log out in their base.

Solution:

Imagine an underground base, a player throws a grenade or use C4 to destroy the base.

The base is majorly damages, meaning all things are destroyed inside and the walls and structure are now week.

If the player who started the base is dead then after X number of hours/days the complex will collapse.

If the player is alive then when they next visit or spawn back into it will find all the damage and will need to brace the walls/fix a key point in a X number of hours or days before it simply collapses in.

This is a win win for both since the player who owns the base won't wakeup dead and the player who wants to destroy it, can (all inside tools items etc are all destroyed) but the collapse of the underground structure happens after player is back so it's fair for all.

Topic of Clan bases:

This could be done by simply setting up the key owner but others can add their names to the lease of the base so the mechanics apply to all names on the base ownership.

Either way players can go in and destroy all items, generators, your plumbing or what not which is part of the base development so player(s) would need to fix it of just scrap it and look for a new location for base.

Over complicated and I think there are a few holes in it...

Best way to do it is like someone said above:-

1) is base still there yes=spawn in base where logged out

2) is base still there no= spawn above ground where base used to be... Easy

As for if the player returns within hrs is not a good solution... Might be on holiday, taking exams so have to study so having a break from games, someone died so have to spend time with family, etc...

Also if I want to destroy a base I want to destroy a base not make it weak....

But having said that if I'm just using grenades or something weak (compared to high explosives) then your suggestion might be good, where work benches, traps etc are destroyed but base is ok, so you can rebuild... But would you want a base that's already been found?