Flawless1

Dying and the Consequences-SA

45 members have voted

1. 1. Are you gonna want to punch a wall when you die in DayZ SA?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe, but I'd rather scream in my pillow.

It is just far too easy to part with your character after death. If you don't fear for your life in this game, the devs have done something wrong.

Opinions? Suggestions?

Edited by Flawless1
  • Like 1

i personally hope that a 30 min 'ban' gets put in place for that specific server you died on. Let the world turn a little before you pick it back up and head straight for your dead body.

You would be able to play on another server for that 30 min, just not the one you died on.

• Like 7

running back to your corpse needs to be stopped that's why nobody cares if they die cause they usually know where all their stuff is. Sometimes people kill themselves because they are low blood etc and know they can just go get their stuff back but this time they got full blood/hunger/thirst/temp. Well equipped people with tents don't care if they die because they can just restock at their camp even if their body is lost.

I'm not suggesting to remove corpses on death or remove tents etc but maybe when you die any tents you placed show up on the map as a consequence.

Running to bodies is one way to move forward after your character has died.

Dying means starting a new, not meant to be taken lightly or used as a easy way to return your self to your previous stature. I don't think you understand what the point of death is in this game.

• Like 4

I think it's difficult to find a good solution.

As it stands, all your character progression is tied to your gear and you can very quickly get yourself to Cherno or Elektro, where there are both gear and action.

I always wanted more competitive players to be as fearful of death as I am. To me it's all about adding another day to my days lived, but to others it's about getting the best gear and the thrill of winning fire fights. I think no matter what kind of punishment you can't change other people's play style and probably shouldn't. That people are playing days for so many different reasons, makes it really hard to predict, which kind of player you face, when you meet a stranger in the supermarket. Some players will flee, live another day and find another place to loot alone in safety. Some will insist that there's enough loot in the supermarket to share and even ask you to join them for a while. Others are so afraid of people, their paranoia will make them quick to violence and others again, will kill you on sight because, they don't want to share or because they specifically came to the supermarket to find people to kill.

I think any mechanism that prevents people from playing the mod is a bad one.

Any mechanism that makes the mod challenging is a good one.

• Like 12

Running to bodies is one way to move forward after your character has died.

Move forward to what? The exact same moment that you died previously? Isn't this just playing reincanate tag-team? Personally this is not how I enjoy DayZ - but I understand that this is my own viewpoint. Other players runing back too their corpses doesn't effect me or how I play the game.

That asside, IMO for players to care about their lives there has to be something unique to each life/ character - something which can not be carried from one life to another.

Rocket is planing on introducing disease, what if each player had a unique immunity/resistance to a specific disease? This could be very advantages (once you figure out what it is you are resistant to :) ). OR what if each player is a CARRIER of certain diseases, this would then mean that all their equipment/items will be infected - and therfore make it more of a tricky decision to loot your own corpse.

Anyway, I think disease is going to play a big role in giving people more depth to their decision making. Also, I could live with some sort of 30min ban :) .

Edited by Hoik
  • Like 5

I think it's difficult to find a good solution.

As it stands, all your character progression is tied to your gear and you can very quickly get yourself to Cherno or Elektro, where there are both gear and action.

I always wanted more competitive players to be as fearful of death as I am. To me it's all about adding another day to my days lived, but to others it's about getting the best gear and the thrill of winning fire fights. I think no matter what kind of punishment you can't change other people's play style and probably shouldn't. That people are playing days for so many different reasons, makes it really hard to predict, which kind of player you face, when you meet a stranger in the supermarket. Some players will flee, live another day and find another place to loot alone in safety. Some will insist that there's enough loot in the supermarket to share and even ask you to join them for a while. Others are so afraid of people, their paranoia will make them quick to violence and others again, will kill you on sight because, they don't want to share or because they specifically came to the supermarket to find people to kill.

Any mechanism that makes the mod challenging is a good one.

Beans, sir.

You might of misunderstood me, I don't want to prevent people from playing the game, only that specific server for a short time period. Since it's only on that server, you can play on any other server, and just transfer your character back over to the original server after the time is up

I reminds me too much of WarZ's attempt to create an artificial consequence of death.

You don't want to create a mechanism, that forces people to constantly strain the servers, by switching servers or divide server communities, be forcing players to jump server to respawn. The only reason I see for a respawn timer would be to punish suicides from player trying to select a new respawn location. Maybe a culminative respawn timer for people who die often like in other MMOs.

Well not doing anything creates artificial benefits from death and DayZ isn't here to make it easy for you. Either way the game Death mechanic will be artificial, and arcady. Though you do make a good point about server stress, Idk if it would really result like that since it hasn't been tested.

Also in WarZ, your character dies, but it doesn't force you off that server temporarily, you just simply change characters. You shouldn't compare my idea to that just to shine a bad light on it.

The problem is that weapons and ammo are quite easy to find, that's why they are not that valueble and people don't care loosing them. I died, so what, I know where the helicopter crashsite is, so gonna run there and get myself another sweet gun. There are also item respawn bugs, just loot the lucrative area wait for respawn and restock yourself with good stuff, can store some in a hidden tent nearby just in case.

In my opinion to make player more cautious about his character's death developers need to put emphasis on personal customisation of a character, I don't mean face, body, etc, but his skills and equipment. For example If you have a simple makaroff and you really like this gun there should be different options to modify it, make it a personal weapon, not just a simple makaroff: put in sights and adjust them how you want it, make a semiautomatic(I know it sounds like crap), or modify its rate of fire, magazines and so on. You like when you have bandages seperate from other stuff, so saw in additional pocket for 4 slots only for bandages, because you prefer it like this. This will make things not the ones you found, but the ones you made wich are much dearer to you and you'll think twice before loosing them.

Another thing is to budge in a little RPG in DayZ. We don't start allknowing and supersurvivor, we need to get some knowledge and experience through time and practice. So in my opinion there should be some sort of level up system. I think of a day level up system wich shows what and how much have you done for a day of survival, what you did and what improved. You ran all day, it means you become more experienced and dexterous in running, you can run faster, longer etc. Or maybe you have been lying all day and shooting noobies in cherno with a sniper rifle. That makes you a good sniper. Or you were hiding in bushes wich makes you more stealthy and you can manage your looks to become more inconspicuous. All that personolises a character and makes him unique in some sort, and loosing him will be awful.

• Like 2

Here is an idea some people are sure to love...

How about whatever items that you have on your character becomes unequipable to yourself when you die. Your tents and gear within them will not be impacted. The thought of losing whatever items you have equipped (clothing as well), will lead to better planning and organizing and therefore have more impact on death.

• Like 1

Or make the body unavalable to loot by respawned character

• Like 1

I have no idea what guys are talking about. I'm scared to die and to lose my gear. Unless my killer is an idiot, I can't imagine finding my gears after hiking back to where I died.

Maybe some of you are very good at the game, but to most people, DayZ is still difficult.

• Like 1

Make the corpse get an infection say after 10-15 minutes? Touch the corpse and you risk getting an infection. You could have an indicator for the disease like more flies or a rotting corpse so if you come across a dead body you can tell it's risky to loot.

• Like 2

i think i never went to my body..timers and restrictions are an absurdity..making you unable to loot your body could be useful, but if we assume that the new char isn't the previous survivor this isn't possible.

and not knowing where is your body is just a bit further that knowing where cherno is.

Rocket is planing on introducing disease, what if each player had a unique immunity/resistance to a specific disease? This could be very advantages (once you figure out what it is you are resistant to :) ). OR what if each player is a CARRIER of certain diseases, this would then mean that all their equipment/items will be infected - and therfore make it more of a tricky decision to loot your own corpse.

Anyway, I think disease is going to play a big role in giving people more depth to their decision making. Also, I could live with some sort of 30min ban :) .

Excellent ideas!

Perhaps the whole idea of looting corpses should be a risky business if they aren't freshly killed? Perhaps the sound of flies shouldn't signify a dead body but a decomposing one that should be avoided. Make the risk of contracting a disease high and the player doing the looting cough loudly and retch, unable to control his weapon and bowels until he leaves the area and gets some fresh air?

I'm also not against a lockout timer but this produces massive gameplay problems from the outset. What if you spawn in a city and some malevolent thug is picking off bambis from a hillside? It's clear that a lockout timer would be incredibly unfair. If a timer has to be applied make it one that increases in sync with the time you have been playing that character up to one hour. Bambi who didn't make it out of Cherno on your first run? Just a 2 minute timer to catch your breath. Seasoned veteran that has been alive for days? A full hour before you can join your buddies. This means that prolonged firefights aren't about dying only to gear up again and join the fight in the same place as before or your squad coming down to pick you up. But it won't ruin a night of gaming on your favourite server either.

I stil have some issues with arbitrary rules like a lockout, though. The bottom line is that the philsophy that your xp bar is the equipment in your backpack breaks down when highly mobile squads can get you up and running in minutes. We need to come up with something that a character genuinely loses on death that they spent their time building up but we need to do it without compromising a player's actual skill at the game like an RPG would.

I'm not suggesting to remove corpses on death or remove tents etc but maybe when you die any tents you placed show up on the map as a consequence.

That isn't a good idea. This is a survival simulator. You can't do that in real life.

Maybe if a zombiee is around he will eat your corpse and since zombies are dumb he might eat a few stanags or bandages

There is plenty of talk from Rocket about bullet damage in certain areas making your equipment unusable:

“The new system opens the door for durability of items, disease tracking (cholera lingering on clothes a player wears…), batteries, addon components, and much more,” he explained. “If you shoot a player in the head to take his night vision, you will damage the night vision. The changes to this inventory system are huge.

When the disease mechanic is fully introduced that'll change things quit a lot. For example if you catch a lethal infection/disease/virus and aren't able to cure it and die, you won't want to return to your disease riddled body and risk catching the same infection/virus again. Also the gear on the body itself could carry a risk of transmitting the disease/infection depending on what it was you died of. In general, once the disease mechanic is in place, looting dead bodied will be a risky business.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 1

Here is an idea some people are sure to love...

How about whatever items that you have on your character becomes unequipable to yourself when you die. Your tents and gear within them will not be impacted. The thought of losing whatever items you have equipped (clothing as well), will lead to better planning and organizing and therefore have more impact on death.

This creates another problem for players that like to play lone wolf; You can't loot yourself (spacetime paradox, world ends) but your buddies can get it for you. The plan for DayZ, I think, has always been to make working in a squad preferable but not to make lone wolfing impossible. A mechanic like this would be a real problem.

• Like 1

Not really because your clothes and gear would carry the risk of passing on the disease so they wouldn't want to go near your body unless they know what virus you died of and had the cure :)