Sign in to follow this  
Skadefr0en

Is DayZ becoming a shoot'em up game?

I don't think you've missed anything. DayZ is a mod only, it's not meant to have more to it than what you've experienced. Not yet anyway.

And some players just find player killing amusing, for that I'd suggest migrating to Wasteland, another really good Arma2 survival mod. Less survival, more weapons and more vehicles. And you get up to 80 players playing one map, more than enough action.

dude you should play dayz 2017 there are no military weapons very little of anything else ,there are still some bandits but the incentive to work together is much higher it is what i thought dayz was in the first place.....

In the public servers, most definitely its becoming just a shoot'm up, not because someone wants your things but because they have a DMR or AS50 and want to light you up from 800m b/c you stopped even if you are a newb... They should just start everyone on the publc hive with a double-barrel shotgun and some pellets so you have a fighting chance.

Also if you want Something that's a shoot'm up just go play some COD...

Edited by Andrew C

Accept it: In the apocalyptic landscape, people would kill each other and it'd be akin to a tribal society. How would that be with thousands of predators hunting people as zombies and scarce resources? Warfare between 'tribes' over resources, loose alliances for trusted trading, paranoia due to no order and frequent chaos/murder/robbing, and people who embrace an anarchistic world to indulge in blood-lust (as a few Nazi psychopaths did when officers of a regime which tolerated their attitude).

• Like 2

I stopped playing for about 6 months due to the fact that a lot of people were just playing with a KoS attitude, don't get me wrong I can understand if you see a sniper guarding an area by all means take him out, but the players who camp spawn areas with high powered rifles and shoot unarmed players is just pathetic.

I actually enjoy playing the bandit role but I prefer to role play and sneak up on victims and tell them to drop their weapon etc if they try to escape then I shoot them. Thankfully due to hive servers I can now play the game the way I and many others want it to be played. I just stay away from the official servers as much as possible to avoid these idiots.

I don't think those AS50s are meant for killing zombies...so yeah, PvP all the way.

If I'm honest I do feel ambivalent about the stand alone. I try not to talk too much about it these days as I don't think it helps. Sometimes we hear quotes from Rocket and I think, "Oh that does still sound like DayZ, so stop worrying, Sula. It'll still be a wide open sandbox for you to play in as you please."

But other things I read trouble me a little. For example, if there are not enough servers and servers are for 150 players, where and how will I quietly go hunt zombies and food and fill my water bottles without Call of Duty style PvPers killing me repeatedly? Is that what the game has/will become? Is there still room for people like me who have no interest in playing shooter games, and were attracted to the fact DayZ was something more, something different and genuinely unique?"

I wonder if there will be so much need for various vaccines that those of us who want to play survivalist style will be driven to visit locations - for vaccines - where the PvPers and snipers can just sit and wait to pick us off. And whether the feedback and comments will be, "well, that's what it's all about now".

The reason I have always been anti- no single player is there is nowhere for me to retreat to if the Mod continues to change in the hands of developers of whom I know nothing, and the SA proves to be so very not a survival game, where do I go? I can't run a private server on my PC like I can with other games. So there wouldn't be anywhere for me. That's what I do sometimes think about.

So I struggle between excitement and caution. I am trying to manage my excitement about the standalone because I know it will be different and have wonderful places to explore, scary faster zombies to escape from and new weapons but I know too it won't be perfect and there's lots of work that will continue on the game's development. :thumbsup:

Edited by Sula
  • Like 1

Surviving the other players is, part of survival, what you want is to play a scoot n loot. like the fallouts etc.

IRL, when society has broken down (somalia, congo, sudan, lesser extent east timor etc) Society fragments, resources dwindle, and law dies... banditry, murder rape and mayhem become the norm, driven by need, and greed. Sure, groups band together, but its to screw over the next group, or defend against another group (gangs, militia, rebels, all the same thing, they are in it for personal gain... thats the reality, of what happens, its well documented. (and a hell o a lot more brutal than any thing that goes on in dayz obviously)

The freedom in dayz see's the same thing happen, driven by the same things, paranoia, and competition for resources, just on a lot smaller scale.

Edited by KingOchaos

When they get to add more cooperative content rather than the "solo" gameplay it's when the difference between the Mod and Standalone will come out. For now we have go suck our tongues and wait for the release of the game because for me it's difficult to add all that coop features (like building cars, bases, different team objectives) in a second for the Mod.

If I'm honest I do feel ambivalent about the stand alone. I try not to talk too much about it these days as I don't think it helps. Sometimes we hear quotes from Rocket and I think, "Oh that does still sound like DayZ, so stop worrying, Sula. It'll still be a wide open sandbox for you to play in as you please."

But other things I read trouble me a little. For example, if there are not enough servers and servers are for 150 players, where and how will I quietly go hunt zombies and food and fill my water bottles without Call of Duty style PvPers killing me repeatedly? Is that what the game has/will become? Is there still room for people like me who have no interest in playing shooter games, and were attracted to the fact DayZ was something more, something different and genuinely unique?"

I wonder if there will be so much need for various vaccines that those of us who want to play survivalist style will be driven to visit locations - for vaccines - where the PvPers and snipers can just sit and wait to pick us off. And whether the feedback and comments will be, "well, that's what it's all about now".

The reason I have always been anti- no single player is there is nowhere for me to retreat to if the Mod continues to change in the hands of developers of whom I know nothing, and the SA proves to be so very not a survival game, where do I go? I can't run a private server on my PC like I can with other games. So there wouldn't be anywhere for me. That's what I do sometimes think about.

So I struggle between excitement and caution. I am trying to manage my excitement about the standalone because I know it will be different and have wonderful places to explore, scary faster zombies to escape from and new weapons but I know too it won't be perfect and there's lots of work that will continue on the game's development. :thumbsup:

twins seperated at birth are we !!!

personaly i share your exact sentiments..

but im almost convinced at this point that the COOP day of DayZ are gone..i have zero faith that Rocket will implement a system that prevents dayZ from remaining the KoS game it is now..

just another FPS set on a massive map..

Edited by Siberian
  • Like 1

IRL, when society has broken down (somalia, congo, sudan, lesser extent east timor etc) Society fragments, resources dwindle, and law dies... banditry, murder rape and mayhem become the norm, driven by need, and greed. Sure, groups band together, but its to screw over the next group, or defend against another group (gangs, militia, rebels, all the same thing, they are in it for personal gain... thats the reality, of what happens, its well documented. (and a hell o a lot more brutal than any thing that goes on in dayz obviously)

The freedom in dayz see's the same thing happen, driven by the same things, paranoia, and competition for resources, just on a lot smaller scale.

While I disagree with this on many levels, I don't think DayZ has become an out and out PvP fest just yet. Perhaps on more populated servers but on lower populations ones I still find players who want to work together, even if sometimes they can't be trusted.

I'm hoping the SA gives players more reason to work together and less reason to kill for gear, from what I've seen and heard so far I think some vital things to ensure this have been included (such as 'improved' zacks, the individual customisation of clothing, the availability of much more basic weaponry, etc). There will always be the uncertainty that the guy next to you with the main rotor assembly for the your chopper won't just double tap you once she's ready to fly, but that is DayZ, it must always be that way.

• Like 1

Some of you guys should come to Dayz+

Zombies hit much harder and kill you in about 7-8 hits, you need other people to survive unless you are extremely good at playing

Zombies doing more damage per strike is fine as long as they can't outrun Usain Bolt...

What I found to be best is to have multiple servers dedicated to different playstyles.

I go on lower pop servers (typically ones which never have more than 20 players) when I want to loot places and prance through open meadows in peace.

I go on higher pop servers where everyone KOS's and just act like a jerk while being a bandit.

Then I go on servers where I found some pretty cool players and I either team up with them or sprint through Cherno/Electro while tossing flares or chemlights in every possible direction. :)