rocket

Devblog update: Where is the Standalone?

@rocket,

im quite curious about a screenshot of a house by night with a survivor in it that holds a flashlight.

will we see better light / reflexion management by the "optimized" arma engine?

Dayz medic's.....roll out were gonna have a shit ton of patients heading our way B)

At least rename it to something else than Designated Marksman Rifle, every time I hear one in actions it sounds something like this: Boom...........................BoBoBoBoom...BoBoBoom...BoBoBoBoBoom...BoomBoomBoom..BoBoBoBoom... Reloading! Boom...BoBoBoom!

Unarmednoob was killed by Elitesniper1337

DMR needs a slower effective fire rate.

Yep, it's basically used in 100 meter range or in hip fire distance. I haven't seen anyone shoot it precisely at 300+ meters.

Edited by Sutinen

Lolwut? Is DMR an easy thing???

Yes. Its ROF is very high and hardly has recoil. Sure the first time you use it for sniping it can be hard, but like 10 minutes later you find out the max range for when the bullet drops etc. Its ROF means if you miss your first shot, just spray and you get the kill. It also kills in 2 shots.Can be used with NVGs and has a sniper scope....

Sniper rifles should be more of the " if you miss your first shot, you failed" kinda of thing, one of the ways to stop those cherno/elektro campers.

I read about it happening in dayz and arma2... :)

I don't know what are the chances to that but I'll guess something 0,00000000000001% because so many people including me have used TS, Mumble, etc. overlays for years in Arma 2 without a ban. I believe that the same odds are in every other good Anti-cheat programs.

VAC has had issues with overlays and whatnot, but I think that's all in the past

Yes. Its ROF is very high and hardly has recoil. Sure the first time you use it for sniping it can be hard, but like 10 minutes later you find out the max range for when the bullet drops etc. Its ROF means if you miss your first shot, just spray and you get the kill. It also kills in 2 shots.Can be used with NVGs and has a sniper scope....

Sniper rifles should be more of the " if you miss your first shot, you failed" kinda of thing, one of the ways to stop those cherno/elektro campers.

Oh, maaan... Compared to M107 still... It has recoil, but can be fired from any position precisely, accurate at great ranges and isn't that hard to find!

IRL firing an anti-materiel rifle standing up will kick off your shoulder, and you will be barely able to move your arm. Firing rate is also really slower.

About the DMR itself... I agree it has to be nerfed. As any sniper rifle except SVD/M24/CZ550. It's 20 round mags make it more of an assault rifle. If you played ArmA, Vintorez there is a silenced copy of DMR, having the same hilarious firerate. In DayZ, in comparison to ArmA, you will never (or very rarely) meet an encounter that is above 500m. Just the DMR's border of effect.

It's really good to have a DMR now, though it doesn't kill you in one shot.

So if we drop our clothes, does it mean we get colder faster? Like namalsk has warm clothes. I assume that its planned, but would be cool to see in release.

Oh, maaan... Compared to M107 still... It has recoil, but can be fired from any position precisely, accurate at great ranges and isn't that hard to find!

IRL firing an anti-materiel rifle standing up will kick off your shoulder, and you will be barely able to move your arm. Firing rate is also really slower.

About the DMR itself... I agree it has to be nerfed. As any sniper rifle except SVD/M24/CZ550. It's 20 round mags make it more of an assault rifle. If you played ArmA, Vintorez there is a silenced copy of DMR, having the same hilarious firerate. In DayZ, in comparison to ArmA, you will never (or very rarely) meet an encounter that is above 500m. Just the DMR's border of effect.

It's really good to have a DMR now, though it doesn't kill you in one shot.

I think it just needs a lower fire rate and maybe a ten round mag. Everything else is fair about. And as fare as the VSS goes, its nothing like the m14. Its has way shorter range, and has more stopping power because it shoots a subsonic 9x39mm round, a round designed specifically for that gun. So really the VSS isn't cheap at all, because it has barely any range. Edited by JESUSARIUS REX

Lolwut? Is DMR an easy thing???

The DMR is one of the easiest sniper rifles to use because of its 20 round mag and able to use NVGs at the same time.

Hmmm... i very like this game and this mod. Gratz for creators :)

But...

Something is wrong with climate for me.

For exapmle, if i could, compare this:

http://media.moddb.c...6994/zat1.1.jpg

http://media.onlinek...er/stalker1.jpg

http://i235.photobuc...-37_pripyat.jpg

http://static.clanba...ild_1935_03.jpg (love this one)

...to images from first and second post in this topic.You know... Stalker (it's only example) have more post-apo climate and all all there is really dirty, destroyed. Interiors in mentioned screens in firsts posts are too clear, colorful and... to "happy" for zombie apocalypse. I appreciate your work guys, really, however in games like stalker or fallout i can feel THIS, in DayZ - still not. That's shame, because i love this game, there's sooo much details, things to discover and use...

That's only my modest opinion :)

Sorry for my bad english - i'm from Poland.

Cheers!

Edited by Colourkey

Cheers!

Hi mate, I am sure you have seen the posts where it has been confirmed that the SA will ship with "Chernarus +", I also seem to remember that textures and the feel of the map etc will be quite different from what we know Chernarus to be now.

You might well get your "Stalker" feel to the game afterall...

• Like 1

They call them Brothels around here.

I guess your in america where you guys do everything bigger.

Close...i'm in Oz. :)

At least rename it to something else than Designated Marksman Rifle, every time I hear one in actions it sounds something like this: Boom...........................BoBoBoBoom...BoBoBoom...BoBoBoBoBoom...BoomBoomBoom..BoBoBoBoom... Reloading! Boom...BoBoBoom!

That would be me, i am a particularly bad shot .. if i miss i will continue firing just to keep them running :D

• Like 1

I hate how the comunity is starting to sound like the bf3 forums.... and wanting to balance weapons n shit... a 7.62/308 should f you up. A dmr is a great rifle. If you are being constantly sniped by noobs, perhaps you need to adapt yah play style.

It has been stated by rocket in this thread that they are changing the weapons tables,to more realisticly reflect weaponry found in life... i hope they have thrown in .300 whinchester mags, .30 06s, 338s or some o the super high velocity stuff, like the ole .270 they f shit up compared to a .308. Time will tell i suppose. But it will piss me off no end if it ends up with weapons being nerfed n nuked because whiners like in bf3. Not all weapons are equall, deal with it. End rant :P

• Like 3

Just gonna leave you this short video,

Your point is invalid!

Edited by Grodenn

Weapon balancing will be very easy, guys relax

the fact people can't pop a DMR out of there asses with loads of ammo means that you will never have a real problem with them overused.

They can also change the rarity of item spawns, The idea some weapons are OP is a good thing in dayZ because you will feel rewarded by finding them, but also ammo will be rare balancing the use of said item

Edited by Ovation
  • Like 1

I hate how the comunity is starting to sound like the bf3 forums.... and wanting to balance weapons n shit... a 7.62/308 should f you up. A dmr is a great rifle. If you are being constantly sniped by noobs, perhaps you need to adapt yah play style.

It has been stated by rocket in this thread that they are changing the weapons tables,to more realisticly reflect weaponry found in life... i hope they have thrown in .300 whinchester mags, .30 06s, 338s or some o the super high velocity stuff, like the ole .270 they f shit up compared to a .308. Time will tell i suppose. But it will piss me off no end if it ends up with weapons being nerfed n nuked because whiners like in bf3. Not all weapons are equall, deal with it. End rant :P

I agree with the sentiment, just not the delivery.

Day Z is profoundly -NOT- about "balance", it's about giving players tools. The DMR's main fault is that the ammunition is currently too readily found to be realistic, 20 round magazines available in every industrial shed or deer stand. The weapon itself doesn't need to be balanced, but the ammunition availability needs to be more realistic and brought in line with most everything else.

On the other end of the spectrum, I understand why things like the L85 Thermal shouldn't be in the game from a "balance" perspective, but it's again, something about realism and rarity. I personally didn't ever have a problem with people using anti-materiel rifles and TWS, but I understand why these can be seen as griefing tools with no real world application in terms of Day Z.

I don't think Day Z really -needs- .338 LM or similar type rounds, simply because engagements don't usually exceed 500m. I think it'd be a waste of resources, but I'm all for gun variety... so what the hell.

• Like 1

Sadly my english isn't good enough to say what i wanna say but i'll do my very best. :)

When i played DayZ the first time i thought "Wow. Nice game. Nice idea."

Then after a couple of weeks in the world of the Zeds i thought "Wow. Really nice game. With so fucking much potential."

Atm after all i have read i think "Wow. I'm part of a complete new state of the art. THIS game will have its save place in the book of history. Holy Moly!"

I wish you, Mr Rocket ^^, and the rest of your amazing team the very best. 2013 will be YOUR year. :)

And now a limerick (Sorry again if my english suckz :))

I looted a town with nothing to eat

and all i found was some rotten meat.

Then ,Oh Lord, i found some beans.

A shot, i'm dead. Fuck! They were Dean's.

Damn weed!! <_<

Edited by Utzelbrutz
  • Like 8

Just gonna leave you this short video,

Your point is invalid!

Does disprove -his- point, but raises another... do you think the person firing that M107 in the video would have hit anything at range? Or hit anything at all? Or would have preferred to take that into actual combat?

Not being contrarian, but simply because something can be done doesn't mean it's a smart or even practical thing to do. While in Day Z, the tools are given to the player to make smart decisions and such... there are several flaws with how weapons like the M107 are represented such as the non-factor of weight on aiming and universally applied sway. Meaning that all weapons appear to sway in the same manner regardless of weight. I personally think the sway after sprinting and stuff is a bit much, I can hit the broad side of a barn at least after I've been sprinting/running a good bit with an AR... much less a man-sized target at 50m.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 1

I agree with the sentiment, just not the delivery.

Day Z is profoundly -NOT- about "balance", it's about giving players tools. The DMR's main fault is that the ammunition is currently too readily found to be realistic, 20 round magazines available in every industrial shed or deer stand. The weapon itself doesn't need to be balanced, but the ammunition availability needs to be more realistic and brought in line with most everything else.

On the other end of the spectrum, I understand why things like the L85 Thermal shouldn't be in the game from a "balance" perspective, but it's again, something about realism and rarity. I personally didn't ever have a problem with people using anti-materiel rifles and TWS, but I understand why these can be seen as griefing tools with no real world application in terms of Day Z.

I don't think Day Z really -needs- .338 LM or similar type rounds, simply because engagements don't usually exceed 500m. I think it'd be a waste of resources, but I'm all for gun variety... so what the hell.

im all tact ;) Dont disagree with yer there, or yah point on the m107.

Does disprove -his- point, but raises another... do you think the person firing that M107 in the video would have hit anything at range? Or hit anything at all? Or would have preferred to take that into actual combat?

Haha ofc not, but that wasn't the point though ;).

Sure the snipers could be more realistic/authentic, something really cool to add would be bullets affected by wind. But I think way to many people are crying about sniper rifles. If you dont want to get shot by a sniper don't bloody rush in an open field (specially if its near electro / cherno), this is mostly a l2p issue tbh. How ever what I can agree with is that the high tire military weapons are a bit to common atm (mostly due to duping).

atm military ammo is way too common (especially the 12,7) due to duping; cut that down and there will be way less sniping in cherno;

and you can hit stationary targets at 800m with DMR once you figure out the bullet drop, does very little damage though (3k blood or thereabout) - so no biggy really.

If anything it is too accurate compared to real thing, should have bigger spread (M-21 (DMR) has 1.5-2 MOA accuracy, which at 800 yards is 12-16in)

we should not forget that most of our experiences where we got shot was due to hackers who spawned a shitload of ammo and sniper rifles.

a normal guy who spent hours on finding that stuff would not just go to cherno to kill people, way to high risk to loose something like that just to have some "fun" sitting somewhere for hours for the sole purpose to kill people.

I defenitely agree that ammo should be alot more limited, and weapon drop system balanced, but i am quite sure that this is going to happen in the standalone anyways. i do not believe that you will get as much loot as you did in the mod.

Edited by Wep0n