Marvel.Jane

Why do you complain about Snipers and Bandits?

In a game where there are Sniper Rifles in the loot table, why do people complain so much when they get killed by a Sniper?

Is it that you just aren't used to this feeling or have you had a 'bad experience' and never got over it? Or is it just that you dont like getting killed by other players?

Most of us are aware that when you are being targeted by a sniper, it's not usually because he wants your beans, it's for the sheer thrill of it, as there is a great risk involved with travelling to loot your victim when you are so far away. Thus being said Sniper Rifles are on the loot table for a reason, I really don't think it's to kill incoming Zombie Hordes but to take out another player for what-ever reason, if there is one. It is also possible to make a Snipers job hard, there are several tactics you can use while looting or travelling that will make any Sniper have to work hard for their kill. In my experience most of the Snipers that have taken shots at me have been so terrible it has given me plenty of time to get away. I still try not to make it easy for them and if I do, I know it's my own fault and I am over it and respawning.

Also why is there such negativity towards Bandits? It is how the game works, hence the Bandit skin. Other players are the major threat in this game, otherwise you would not be able to kill other players in the first place.

Every Hero needs a Villain or he is just another guy. We should embrace the Bandits for creating balance, giving us adventures and keeping us aware.

Afterall Good without Evil, is just Mediocre.

• Like 7

You're brave Marvel. I anticipate the good old PVP debate incoming.....

My opinion is that without bandits and snipers DayZ would lose most of it's tension. It's worth remembering that one of the things that helped DayZ become so popular was the Youtube vids of people being truly paranoid whilst trying to survive. If your remove that paranoia then you remove one of the key elements of DayZ.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 10

The complaint is not at the existence of bandits I believe so much as the prevalence. Some people (myself not included) that the game has shifted from survival sim with zombie-strips to a get-sniped-or-shot-on-sight sim with zombie-nuggets.

• Like 2

I think snipers, bandits make this game great but I want to see more friendly guys and group related stuff in the SA :)

• Like 1

I agree. Once you get all the loot, have all the cool gear, have tons of food and water and blood packs, its time to hunt some zombies and optionally people. The first time I've killed someone was when I had a Ghillie suit and was on a hill, scouting over the landscape, and saw a guy riding a bike, man, good times, good times :)

I think snipers, bandits make this game great but I want to see more friendly guys and group related stuff in the SA :)

I think that's Rockets plan for the SA. By adding a lot more content the idea is that player killing out of boredom won't be as much of an issue. To be fair the mod was only really created to provide a few hours fun and although it's been polished up a bit the actual content is still pretty much the same as day 1.

• Like 2

I like the bandit snipers and just your plain old shotgun toting bandits. I would prefer they kill me fresh spawn.. than to kill me when I'm geared up. They add tension to the beginning of your story.

I think bandit snipers who have earnt their gear in the way everyone decent does (looting bases, barracks and so on) are entitled to the right to kill you. However, hackers on the other hand, they dont have any right to spawn in an AS50 and shoot you in the face with it.

I actually respect the snipers who earnt their gear the hard way because i know how hard it is to find a decent weapon, never mind a ghillie suit and a military-grade rifle.

• Like 3

I had a lot of awesome adventures spawing in the game and getting shot by a sniper on the beach.. Oh my such adventures

I respect anyone who can effectively engage targets beyond 800m.

No matter how much content there is in the SA, If I see you, you die.

Unless I feel like fucking with you, which you will just die anyway after some torment.

• Like 1

I think people complain about snipers in DayZ for the same reasons they complained about them at their inception in real life wars.

Of course back then you had armies in a field lining up and volleying shots at one another, and the sharpshooters were seen as ungentlemanly because they took shots at you without being man enough to stand there and trade volleys. I think the same is true in this, and many other games. When death comes from afar and the unsuspecting victim feels he isn't given the chance to defend himself, the victim feels like they weren't on a level playing field with the sniper. This is especially true at the long ranges that snipers can reach out and touch someone in this game. People rarely complain when they go toe to toe i a shootout with someone who has a similar weapon as them.

Human condition really. We prefer a "fair fight". That being said, I don't complain about snipers.

• Like 4

I think people complain about snipers in DayZ for the same reasons they complained about them at their inception in real life wars.

Of course back then you had armies in a field lining up and volleying shots at one another, and the sharpshooters were seen as ungentlemanly because they took shots at you without being man enough to stand there and trade volleys. I think the same is true in this, and many other games. When death comes from afar and the unsuspecting victim feels he isn't given the chance to defend himself, the victim feels like they weren't on a level playing field with the sniper. This is especially true at the long ranges that snipers can reach out and touch someone in this game. People rarely complain when they go toe to toe i a shootout with someone who has a similar weapon as them.

Human condition really. We prefer a "fair fight". That being said, I don't complain about snipers.

This is a perfect explination

• Like 1

I usually only get pissed when I'm a fresh spawn on the coast. I only complain for like, a minute of two though.

Actually, I think the general complaint we have is guys that either spawn this gear, or just gather in up and wait out in areas, spawn camping folks or sniping passer by's just to.

What really gets my nerves, is when you have the occasional cunt coming onto the forums all "LOLOLOLOLOLO, LOOK HOW I TOTALLY SNIPED THESE SCRUBS, COME LAUGH AT THEM WITH ME, AND WATCH MY YOUTUBE VIDS OF ME SNIPING AND BEING AN ASSHOLE, LOL!!!11!!1!!1"

Bad sportsmanship is what causes problems for games, not sniping.

• Like 2

Actually, I think the general complaint we have is guys that either spawn this gear, or just gather in up and wait out in areas, spawn camping folks or sniping passer by's just to.

What really gets my nerves, is when you have the occasional cunt coming onto the forums all "LOLOLOLOLOLO, LOOK HOW I TOTALLY SNIPED THESE SCRUBS, COME LAUGH AT THEM WITH ME, AND WATCH MY YOUTUBE VIDS OF ME SNIPING AND BEING AN ASSHOLE, LOL!!!11!!1!!1"

Bad sportsmanship is what causes problems for games, not sniping.

#420yoloswag

xx1337quickscope420swagoptichackxx

• Like 2

I do agree with that, but as I mentioned, there are alot of ways to avoid a sniper or make their shot harder to take. You also have the advantage of being able to use cover and they have the disadvantage of some one sneaking up on them and shooting them in the back.

As for getting shot on a beach by snipers... there are assholes every where and they will find a way to kill you. They could drive up and down the coast or fly and kill bambis all day. Doesn't mean you should dislike everyone who has a vehicle. Who really cares anyway, you didn't have any gear if your on the beach and you are likely to spawn some where else without a sniper watching you.

• Like 1

If Rocket wants to make the game more realistic, he should add this to the standalone:

<Put wheel on sniper's head

<Light tire on fire

That's what happens to snipers IRL when they get caught.

Sniper hate comes from not seeing your enemy; the same was said about snipers in many of the wars during the last century, however, if you have a sniper in your squad pinning the enemy down, it's an extremely useful asset that many real life soldiers would be accepting to have.

I don't hate snipers or bandits even.

Yes I do get frustrated when I've just spent the last hour avoiding bandits and zombies and getting myself geared up only to get killed by some guy wtih an AS50 from 700 yards away. I don't quite understand the thrill of getting a sniper rifle and camping a town and killing people from a distance. But I do appreciate the sniper rifle as a form of covering a friend or group from a distance and as a way of scoping out a town/city from a safe distance.

I've learned to accept snipers as just another obstacle in the game. The odds are if you go to Cherno or Elektro on a populated server, there's going to be someone hanging around with a sniper rifle picking off players. It's just the risk you take by going to those populated areas. It's only really when someone's picking up fresh spawns that I see it as being pointless and unfair.

Bandits are part of the game. I used to hate on banditry all the time because I felt the game was more productive when you were able to form alliances/help each other/work in a team etc. but bandits are a necessary evil in keeping the game exciting.

I usually play as a survivor and I'm generally willing to help out other players, but I know that if everyone played like that then most of the thrill of the game would be gone. And there's definitely benefits to playing as a bandit. For one thing, it does make survival that much more certain.

Ideally I think DayZ needs a more stable balance between the friendlies and the bandits. If everyone's a bandit then we might as well be playing BF3 or CoD, but if everyone were a hero then there's very little point in playing as well.

The idea of the game is "trust no one." That's what makes the game exciting and fun, you interact with other players at your own risk. The game would be boring if every single player you saw greeted you with a hearty hello over direct chat and a free can of beans.

• Like 1

Guys, PVP and banditry are what make this game different from any other zombie game (Left 4 Dead, etc.). Think of every good zombie movie ever made. Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, etc. The zombies were scary in these movies, but what was scarier? The other people. The zombie genre isn't about zombies, it's about the horror of what otherwise good people will do to each other when society breaks down. Under the threat of a horrible death at the hands of the undead, people will do terrible things to each other. DayZ is the first zombie game that mimics this sort of horror. Watch the Cherno Journo's interviews with players about their first murders. This is why DayZ is the best zombie game ever made: the zombies are only a threat at first. Once you get the hang of surviving, it's the other survivors you need to worry about.

Given that, the only type of PVPer that I don't like are the ones who don't take it seriously. Even if they're not a hacker, someone who taunts in side chat after killing someone or tries to lure people with sidechat traps really detracts from the game because ruins the feeling you get from the dynamic I mentioned above. If you're genuinely trying to survive, why would you take unnecessary risks by hunting players without any benefit? A group of survivors might hunt others for sport, and that's a horror in and of itself, but a lone survivor is unlikely to do such a thing out of pure malice, because the risk would outweigh the reward in real life. That said, I never complain about PVP anymore because it's pointless and makes me look like a noob.

• Like 3

I had a lot of awesome adventures spawing in the game and getting shot by a sniper on the beach.. Oh my such adventures

The spawning system is awesome...for snipers and bandits.

Just sit/camp at one of the predictable spawning locations/loot and let the game bring them to you.If the pickings slow down,just server hop for some more spawn kills.

OP has a cool story when you leave out what is really going on.

Just sit/camp at one of the predictable spawning locations/loot and let the game bring them to you.If the pickings slow down,just server hop for some more spawn kills.

I have never ever been shot by a sniper or bandit as a fresh spawn, though I hear it is common, is it really so prevalant that there are snipers at every single spawn location? If you are looting a high traffic area or "predictable" as you put it, the survivor should be aware of this and perhaps choose another location or scout the surroundings first. If you are on the beach, well you have nothing anyway and yes I know it's frustrating, but there are alot of servers out there. I also believe there are alot of players, including myself that flank these locations in the hopes of finding a sniper with his guard down. If you can't handle this kind of PvP your choices are to join a PH with all friendly, no KOS vehicle overload or to persevere and enjoy all aspects of the game, even if it doesn't go your way all the time. I am getting sick of the pessimistic attitudes about the parts of the game that are vital. If you dont like the feeling that some one could be watching you down the end of their scope at any time.... don't play DayZ.

• Like 2

=SOFT

I have never ever been shot by a sniper or bandit as a fresh spawn, though I hear it is common, is it really so prevalant that there are snipers at every single spawn location? If you are looting a high traffic area or "predictable" as you put it, the survivor should be aware of this and perhaps choose another location or scout the surroundings first. If you are on the beach, well you have nothing anyway and yes I know it's frustrating, but there are alot of servers out there. I also believe there are alot of players, including myself that flank these locations in the hopes of finding a sniper with his guard down. If you can't handle this kind of PvP your choices are to join a PH with all friendly, no KOS vehicle overload or to persevere and enjoy all aspects of the game, even if it doesn't go your way all the time. I am getting sick of the pessimistic attitudes about the parts of the game that are vital. If you dont like the feeling that some one could be watching you down the end of their scope at any time.... don't play DayZ.

=BEANS

• Like 1

I've never been killed as a fresh spawn either and neither have most of the guy's/girls I play with so it seems like a problem that doesn't need solving.

Obviously Cherno/Electro are always going to be hotspots for PVP and IMO you should adapt your gameplay to deal with this, that's part of learning to survive. If you notice a player on a server camping a specific area then go and deal with him or avoid the area, it really is as simple as that.

• Like 2

Don't like snipers?

Universal anti-sniper tactics:

1) Check your surroundings for probable sniper hideout areas.

2) Think what can you use as cover if you get under fire from one of them.

3) Begin moving, listen to gunshots, look at the spots and stick to cover most of time.

4) Loot quickly (if you happen to). Keep your guard on while looting too.

5) Choose an escape route which has most cover possible and where probability of an encounter is lower.

Profit. I always do so, especially in PvP hotspots. If you play much you may even have permanent plans of looting certain places.

• Like 2