Sign in to follow this  
yanney

you dont need an expensive PC

hey guys, still new to DayZ. ive watched a shit ton of videos before hand and knew how to play before i started, now its just down to figuring the small stuff out

anyway, just wanted to give other newbies hope. you dont need an expensive PC to play. Im playing on an HP G6 and it runs great on 'normal' settings. i can run some maps on high, but chernorus is always choppy.

Welcome !

Post the spec's then, so all can see.

People post here every day asking "can I run it", so it would be helpful.

Thanks.

Arbitrary much lol

With better specs some people can't play for crap and with some crap specs people can play fine.

But there is a middle line or lets say a mean to where we think there specs can run.

Kind of false hope :(

My old PC would run ok if i set video memory to high, most of the parts in it were 8yr old

it had intel core 2 duo processor on an old mobo and the gfx card was the only newish thing in it Nvidia 630

My brother was running it great with video memory set to default and normal settings

His was an intel celeron processor (2 cores) G540 on a Gigabyte H61M - DS2 mobo which i know cost less than £130 for both, but there have been people with amazing setups that still have trouble.

Dont know exactly what it is with the video memory but when i set mine to default (with my old PC) even on low settings it was only good for 5 minutes max. I think if you have more than 512mb of Vram on your video card set it to default, if its only a cheap card like mine was it worked better set to high.

Don't be/be scared to play about with the settings to see what works for you, heard one guys PC caught fire after playing a few hours so im not gonna commit to this bit

heard one guys PC caught fire after playing a few hours so im not gonna commit to this bit

I "hear" lots of things, very few are true. DAYZ/Arma doesnt ignite PC's

rgds

LoK

Yeah i also heard someone took down a heli with a makarov, heard he had a video to prove it and he was uploading it soon.

Yeah i also heard someone took down a heli with a makarov, heard he had a video to prove it and he was uploading it soon.

Wasnt it his PC that burst into flames???

Apparently his PC was just not ready to upload that footage for the world to see :P

• Like 1

Heh if you play on the standard map it will LAG like no tomorrow in the big cities. This is because the game is so unoptimized and actually has many design flaws like buildings with 3 entrances and no vis blockers and a plethora of windows the engine has to render. This is bad for performance. Hopefully they will improve Day Z standalone and redo building models with proper vis blockers and entrances etc. They can do away with most windows to improve performance.

Even with Arma 2 dialed to support 4 cores and extra threads running on lowest object detail and settings you will get lag in Elektro and Cherno. Hell just being near those areas your fps drops. It's a constant battle to tweak settings and find the sweet spot for Day Z. Even then it will be less than optimal. We need some solid game design on Day Z stand alone to fix some of these issues. Not to mention some performance enhancements with the engine. Background culling and removal of all these excess objects being drawn when you cant see them would be nice.

Edited by Malicar