Sign in to follow this  
timboski

Does anyone else think this is odd?

My mate watches DayZ vids on YouTube all the time,hours and hours of them yet he has never played it. He refuses to get it and its not even because he can't run it but its a mixture of not wanting to pay for it and not wanting to spend time playing it(though he spends loads of time playing other games and dicking about online already). Only thing I can think of is he one of these people that hate not being instantly amazing at a game(and the Arma 2 engine does take a bit of getting used to)and me showing him the ropes might be a bit be a bit humiliating. For me the fun part was learning to play and basically being shit and getting owned by Zeds/players, hell I still do. Does anyone else think it odd to take such an interest in something you have no intention of ever experiencing?

Edited by Timboski

Maybe he is just waiting for standalone?

I like watching lots of things im interested in but i dont always want to experience them and with most things i cant.. specially the videos i watch with the two women and..hang on.. too much info..

• Like 2

Nope hes not interested in getting the mod or the standalone (sorry should have said that). I know quite a few people who have not yet played it but will once the Standalone comes out which makes total sense but this guy is not one of them.

I like watching lots of things im interested in but i dont always want to experience them and with most things i cant.. specially the videos i watch with the two women and..hang on.. too much info..

Never say never :P

It's like the military for most. People will spend hours researching and watching videos and shows of the military forces, yet they have no intention whatsoever to be a soldier. I don't know, but if that's what they want to do then ok!

• Like 1

It's like the military for most. People will spend hours researching and watching videos and shows of the military forces, yet they have no intention whatsoever to be a soldier. I don't know, but if that's what they want to do then ok!

Yep totally understand and I myself do this with quite a few things(some I will do one day but others not a chance). But when all that stands in your way of experiencing something you have spent countless hours researching is buying and installing a game....

Buying and installing is only the first step, spending hundreds of hours pushing keys, moving a mouse & talking into a microphone isn't quite as simple.

Honestly, I'm the same. Except instead of avoiding situations where I would be bested, I just become proficient at the game as fast as I possibly can.

When I start the game, I want everyone to immediately be aware I have the potential to pull off what they can. I have no problems with them knowing I haven't yet, or even if I'm not entirely sure how. But if it's a fighting game, I'm adamant I can defend whatever they throw at me and dish it back out, if it's a shooter, I tell them they'd better keep their heads down or I'm taking it off.

A year ago, I would be just like your friend.

Now, I always check reviews before I purchase a game.

Quite a few people I know don't want to get on Dayz with me because of stand alone... I don't see the logic in not playing an amazing game now because sometime in the future there will be another version >_<. If stand alone had a solid release date for next month I could see their point, but right now it might as well be "some day". Worthless bastards make me have to hunt for beans all alone =p

I know one of my mates did play this Day Z mod, but says it's too buggy so is waiting until the standalone comes out

I watch Fraggle with my hidden cameras all the time, but I don't want to own one...

As with your friend, each to their own.

Rgds

L

• Like 1

While I do enjoy more people joining us on the mod, in all honesty if the only reason they are considering getting Arma is because of DayZ I tell people to not bother. Even though we haven't heard anything about the SA, we know it is coming soon. I don't think it would be worth the money to buy OA just for maybe a couple months and never play it again.

Maybe he is contemplating whether it is worth actually getting the mod for ARMA II or waiting for standalone.

Well like I said, he is not waiting on the standalone either. That was the first thing we spoke about last time we were out (well when DayZ came up in convo, first thing I probably said was something like "awright bawbag?") and he's just not wanting(willing is probably the better word)to actually play either the mod or standalone for the reasons I've already said. It just seems so odd that he's voluntarily missing out on some great gaming.

Edited by Timboski

I always enjoy reading about Eve Online but I've never been tempted to try it. I just find the stories that arise from the game interesting.

I always enjoy reading about Eve Online but I've never been tempted to try it. I just find the stories that arise from the game interesting.

Atleast get the 14-day trial, and try it out. It kicks major ass.

Staying off topic. Eve is an enormo time sink. I find it more interesting to read about than play.

Right, back on topic.

L

I did that for the longest time with DayZ, mainly because when I first bought it I had such a crappy PC.

Not that odd considering it's realism aspect, it's like watching a 3D movie.

I myself spent hours watching DayZ video's before I played it which I'd recommend to everyone, to save everyone the time of answering every question a bambi has on the side channel, so when I played it,I had almost no questions to ask, it was very natural and helped me concentrate on adjusting to the ARMA physics.