snafu18

New monitor - Mod is unplayable, have been playing since day one

Hey people,

The situation is quite complicated... I bought a new monitor about a week ago, another Samsung. However, the old one was a 19', 1280x1024, this one is a 22' 1920x1080 LED.

Now the game is unplayable on any of the settings, low, medium, max, tweaks in the CFG files, NOTHING.

It's absolutely shit, you can't even look around without the game stuttering. I do realise this is probably the fact of the resolution being so much bigger compared to the old one but before the game was at least playable on medium settings and I mean like 30-40 fps throughout the whole playtime.

I didn't change anything in my pc for good two and half years now, I'm planning to get a new motherboard, ram and a processor for christmas but could you just tell me why the game is unplayable even if I put it onto 1280x1024? I was certain that the problem occured because of the big change in res. size but now I have absolutely no idea.

Could I ask for help? On a side note I'd like to add that I did try uninstalling both Arma 2 OA + DayZ. None of these operations helped.

Cheers

I forgot to add, these are my PC specs.:

Processor: Quad Q8400 2.66 Ghz

Ram: 2GB DDR2

Motherboard: Asus P5Q SE PLUS

Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 460 1GB

Edited by Snafu18

1920x1080 is I believe the native resolution for a 24" monitor, at least that's what mine is.

The 460 is well up to the job but the rest of your config is lacking.

I'll leave the topic here for the moment.

What? Even if you leave the resolution at what you had it on before, the game still runs slower?

Are any other games affected by this "hardware change"?

Is performance still bad if you switch back to the original monitor?

Edited by ActionMan

http://www.samsung.c...r/LS22B150NS/XY

Eh, could the topic be left for a different reason? I'll rename the title.

What kind of stuff should I get to run not only DayZ but games like Far Cry 3 on ~high settings with this kind of resolution?

Will 800$ be enough to get a good equipment?

What? Even if you leave the resolution at what you had it on before, the game still runs slower?

Excatly, I have no idea why :/

Edited by Snafu18

When you change your resolution, have you change the 3d resolution also ?

Beside that, that is weird. Maybe refresh rate but I never seen making any issue. The only possible thing I could see is if your GPU have to do extra work to Upscale or downscale the feed for your monitor (kinda like a HD Signal on a SD TV).

Are you using same type of connector (DVDI, vga, etc.) ?

The connector type is the same, just a new one that was added with the monitor (it's excatly the same just younger, lol)

I use the same 3D resolution as my current resolution, before when I had the 1280x1024 I was using the 1280x1024 3D resolution, so always 100%, besides what does it actually do, I can't see the difference between 25% and 200%?

I had this problem aswell,all i did was reinstall my nvidia drivers and it auto setup to my new moniter and the game ran fine again.

hope this helps,do it even if you are putting in the same driver again.

Perhaps your graphics card can't keep up with the extra pixels it has to process? As a check, you could always run Arma2:OA in windowed mode at the same resolution as your old monitor.

Hope this helps,

AC

I had the same problem. For me it was the field of view which had to be changed. You can give it a try:

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/31609-ultimate-fov-field-of-view-guide-for-arma-2-and-dayz-from-dayzpvpcom/

Another thing you can try is to set the shading quality to zero:

go to My Documents/ArmA 2, open up the file called "<profilename>.ArmA2OAProfile" Change these lines to the following: shadingQuality=0

Actually it's quite simple, more pixels, more cpu/gpu needed to render the extra pixels, and your system is not "a beast" , i also have a 1920x1080(2073600pixels) native monitor, my system is a dual core amd 2.6GHZ (crap) 4GB ddr3 ram (enough) and a ati radeon HD6550 (more than enough) and i was having a lot of trouble with FPS(15-18FPS) i did all the tweaks in the CFG files, all in-game settings on low, anti aliasing off, postprocessing off, 3d resolution at 88% and even the Ramdisk tip. I knew the problem was my cpu but i have no money to buy a new one right now, i'm saving for a future-proof system. And all of a sudden i remembered that my old monitor was a 1360x720(979200pixels in comparison with the 1920x1080 display it more than half pixels) native and i tought to me: "maybe i can run it with less pixels?" And then after connecting the old monitor i was amazed, literally, now i run the game with everything on normal settings the 3d resolution the same as screen resolution, and no more fps problems, the zombies became easy kills with the hatchet and it runs so smooth and now i have two displays the 1360x720 to play dayz and the 1920x1080 to watch movies and other stuff.

So yes u better keep the old monitor to play dayz.

Are any other games affected by this "hardware change"?

Is performance still bad if you switch back to the original monitor?

Oh no, not your avatar again! and I really hoped I wouldn't see it again...

Sorry for the off topic, had to say it. This damn avatar is wrecking my head lol

Its not the larger size folks as its the same amount of pixels be pushed when you run 1600x1200 on a 13in vs a 24in since your pushing 1600x1200 pixels.Just guessing here but I think it may be two things.First is that the monitor could have a terrible response time/ refresh rate and this is causing some visual issues?Is it a bargain monitor?What is the response time?Another thing could be that the monitor is defective.

1920x1080 is I believe the native resolution for a 24" monitor, at least that's what mine is.

The 460 is well up to the job but the rest of your config is lacking.

I'll leave the topic here for the moment.

1920x1080 = 21,5"

1920x1200 = 22"

// @ TE

bigger monitor needs more power

bigger resolution need more power

so yeah^^

btw: bigger monitor = bigger range of view = more ram needed to load all the models = more hdd data transfer)

@Theduriel,but he lowered the resolution and same issue.A PC dishes out the same amount of juice at 1024x768 if run on a 19 in or a 55in monitor.There is not more stuff added in on the larger monitor trust me.This is why you need to increase the resolution when you go to a bigger monitor since using the same resolutions results in a shitty image.

Will 800$ be enough to get a good equipment?

Good? Better than good actually. Top of the line. I recently bought a OCZ vector ssd and a Gtx 680 ftw+(a very high-end graphics card) for that price. You could upgrade your current computer and get greats specs for much less than $800 dollars.

Go to the Tom's hardware forum and do a quick search around the place.