Sign in to follow this  
skyofavalon

Sniping needs to be balanced

BF3 handled this well with the reflecting scopes.I think they should add this in the stand alone to counter camping.

Perhaps give more detail on why you think this would work out instead of "This game made it work!"

I'm interested in why you think that your suggestion should be included in SA.

the bf3 scope glare is cr*p in my opinion ... as if a snipers scope will give glare all the time

yeah, I loved how the sniper scopes reflected light in the dark metro tunnels in bf3.

the thing that makes sniping unbalanced in arma 2 is third person, the ability to lay down in complete cover yet still able to see everything happening in the street below.

so far the only way to fix it is play in 1st person only servers

• Like 4

Nothing should really be balanced in a game such as DayZ. When stuff is not balanced, it is fun and scary to play a game where you realise that you can be killed at any moment by anything. I don't really think adding a glare on a sniper lens is really needed. Especially the lens glare in BF3, it was pretty unrealistic.

• Like 3

I'd like to see that, but only if there is a bright sun on the sky. Something like between 7-Am and 11AM and then at 1PM-5PM. Not on rainy days or foggy days.

I'm a sniper myself and I agree is pretty hard to people to spot me while im well hidden.

About the 3rd person, it doenst make that much of difference.

kind of like it, but make it so that you scope only glares, if you are watching in the direction of the sun (everything else would be stupid), so that you don't have a flashlight attached to your scope, like in BF3

one yould also add a new lootable item like this:

http://images1.opticsplanet.com/365-240-ffffff/opplanet-leupold-mark-4-tenebraex-ard-anti-reflection-devices.jpg

as a high value spawn (not only military)

but you should also be able to "craft" a kind of anti glare device with tape

(i was looking for a picture, that i know existing, but i wasn't lucky)

About the 3rd person, it doenst make that much of difference.

are we playing the same game?

let me run 3 scenarios by you, I went and grabbed some screenshots to illustrate, the image on the left is 3rd person, image on the right is 1st; now these may not only apply to snipers but it proves how 1 sided 3rd person is for those who lie and wait.

https://dl.dropbox.c...Games/compa.png

sniper laying down on hospital roof, using 3rd person he can see any and everything happening in his sector without any risk of being spotted, you are his bitch when he takes the 2 seconds (being generous) to crouch, aim, shoot and go prone.. you will never know where he was. the 1st person shot you will see is quite different story, the sniper sees a wall...

https://dl.dropbox.c...es/compara2.png

enemy player can see, watch and again make you his bitch thanks to third person you cant see through his tree, but he can see around it, he knows ur every step and u wont know his unless he wants you too, again as shown it cant be done in first person

https://dl.dropbox.c...es/compara3.png

self explantory

now I'd like you to answer me how "third person doesnt make a difference" when it lets you see through solid walls, around corners etc etc etc.

also note third person wont help the other guys see these campers.

Edited by Skrewy
  • Like 4

Arent military scopes coated with some sort of anti-glint material?

most yes, others are well camoed so that any glint won't show up.

are we playing the same game?

let me run 3 scenarios by you, I went and grabbed some screenshots to illustrate, the image on the left is 3rd person, image on the right is 1st; now these may not only apply to snipers but it proves how 1 sided 3rd person is for those who lie and wait.

https://dl.dropbox.c...Games/compa.png

sniper laying down on hospital roof, using 3rd person he can see any and everything happening in his sector without any risk of being spotted, you are his bitch when he takes the 2 seconds (being generous) to crouch, aim, shoot and go prone.. you will never know where he was. the 1st person shot you will see is quite different story, the sniper sees a wall...

https://dl.dropbox.c...es/compara2.png

enemy player can see, watch and again make you his bitch thanks to third person you cant see through his tree, but he can see around it, he knows ur every step and u wont know his unless he wants you too, again as shown it cant be done in first person

https://dl.dropbox.c...es/compara3.png

self explantory

now I'd like you to answer me how "third person doesnt make a difference" when it lets you see through solid walls, around corners etc etc etc.

also note third person wont help the other guys see these campers.

I'm talking between sniper / regular soldier.

As a sniper, most of the time, im on a higher ground looking thru my scope, not runing around corners, on top of buildings in middle of the city, or firing in middle of the woods.

Well, if you want really realistic game without 3rd person, increase the FOV to 180, which is what humans see.

I don't see why it needs to be balanced, sniping isn't balanced. That's the whole point of sniping.

• Like 1

1 - save the term "Campers" for CoD and BF. In a real apocalypse situation I'd be finding the the best area to secure myself and camp the shit out of it...

2 - Sniping is balanced. The role of sniping is to be able to observe and engage targets from a disguised position at range. If your that fed up of getting sniped then make yourself aware of your surroundings and learn to move in cover, duck under windows etc. :)

• Like 3

1 - save the term "Campers" for CoD and BF. In a real apocalypse situation I'd be finding the the best area to secure myself and camp the shit out of it...

2 - Sniping is balanced. The role of sniping is to be able to observe and engage targets from a disguised position at range. If your that fed up of getting sniped then make yourself aware of your surroundings and learn to move in cover, duck under windows etc. :)

The only problem I see is the "zombie spawning situation" I normally snipe from very, very far away, like 400m+ (current highest was a 950m killshot)

I just stay on hills ouside of high populated areas and wait for the zombies to spawn nearby. Even if you look around, you wont find me.

http://v.cdn.cad-comic.com/comics/cad-20060826-ff7ce.jpg

can I ask you how "sitting in 1 spot and waiting for a target to come to you" in dayz/arma is different from "sitting in 1 spot and waiting for a target to come to you" in bf3?

it seems to me like its the same thing, your both sitting in 1 spot (check) your both waiting for a kill to present itself (check) oooooo I know what you mean

you where going along the lines of "hurr durr this is dayz, cod/bf3 is so low brow ho hum cup of tea I'm an elitist fuckwit,"

glad we got that cleared up.... may you also refuse the cheaper pharmaceuticals because they dont carry big names and snob at the notion of using anything less then the most expensive glassware to sip your bottled water....

I'm not saying the sniping itself is unbalanced, its fine, I'm saying that the issue is the way you can use 3rd person to see through solid objects, and as high and mighty as you claim to be there is a lot of snipers/bandits in this mod who use 3rd person in this way, if 3rd person suddenly stopped revealing players/zombies that where blocked by solid objects (just showed the map) there would be a fuckload less rooftop snipers in cities, because they would have to look over the edge and expose themselves.... [the whole no showing blocked players/zombies is just what came to mind I'm sure there is a better way]

that's most of the issue solved right there, no more city snipers cos skylining on a rooftop is bad. which is the only issue with sniping at the moment (besides the zombie spawning) long distance sniping that requires effort was never mentioned in my posts because it shouldnt be balanced for the victim....

for some reason you guys seemed to think 3rd person isnt an issue because u didn't do it yourselves in the same way crack, herion and any other drug epidemic hasn't been an issue anywhere anytime because I'm not addicted.

let me dot point this motherfucker for you

1.) 3rd person camping is bad

2.) long range sniping should be sided towards the sniper

3.) the definition of camping is determined by the action not the game, speeding on a motorbike is no different then speeding in a car

4.) playing dayz doesnt make u better then a bf3/cod player in the same eating pringles makes you no better then the guy eating lays crisps

5.) running out of shit to put here

6.) G24HAM is still a fuckwit for point 4

Skrewy I understand the third person around walls etc... but other than that sniping is fine just check the city/area you are going into and use lots of cover. Don't run through cherno blasting zombies, use a hatchet. Also get behind cover from the sniping spots so in elektro get cover from Dobryy

No. First this kinda stuff is not what this game is about. It's about survival, not balancing teams/players/whatever. Survival can be very unfair. Second you never know who killed you with what. How do you know were sniped with a scoped weapon? For starters I rarely see them in the game anymore. You could have just as well been shot in the head with a pistol by someone who snuck up on you, or "sniped" from the building across the road with an AKM, or shot from the hill with a lee enfield, none of which have a scope.

• Like 1

Reduce the problems with sniping by reducing the number of available sniper rifles.

Most long weapons in the game now have scopes.

If the number of scoped weapons was reduced by 75% then more people would be walking around with Lee Enfields, Winchesters and Shotguns and you wouldn't see these incredible distance kills.

Sniping is balanced... Do t like it play bf3. As a sniper, if a close ranges weapon is aimed at you, at close range, you are screwed.

I have flanked and killed several snipers on hills etc, by coming from where they aren't looking, and shooting them in the head with an akm

Blah..blah..blah..........

Lol seriously....

Point 1 was a sarcastic comment on the subject as it's something you hear through your speakers/headset every 30 seconds when playing those games (yes, I play them too, A LOT :) ). Although I do appreciate that the written word does not always read with the intended tone.

No idea where all the elitest bullshit came from, I certainly never said nor think I am more privileged than you or anyone else. I only have what I've worked for.

So once you've cleaned all the sand out of your vagina and changed your tampon please feel free to go about your business in a cheerful, stress free manner ;)

• Like 2

"SNIPING NEEDS TO BE BALANCED"

It ruins the game IMO since it makes players choose from surviving an apocalypse to being a paranoid military style player who literally crawls from tree to tree,bush to bush,building to building searching every possible place for enemies.Then it hit me just now that snipers just need to be nerfed bullet drop wise.They still have a huge advantage at range though .......just bring the ranges in since its a dam zombie game with a whole bunch of other unrealistic/authentic things. There I said it and now I will wait for the haters and Ninnymuggins to start their attempts to ridicule any suggestion posted on the suggestions forums.Every idea I post here will be multi-quoted for stupidity as is usual practice in Dayz forums. :rolleyes:

TL:DR........add in more bullet drop for sniper rifles,smaller scope views,no zoom (for weapons that have it) and finally.......tracers.

Lets face it,Arma2 claims ultimate realism but its not very realistic.Yes it has certain aspect that adds in realism but is lacking in others.In real life its hard to snipe yet I am pretty good in game.Now on to the way to nerf them.

More bullet drop very easily makes firing a sniper weapon and actually hitting anything much harder to do.

Smaller scopes just to add in less view space which makes it slightly harder to locate enemies.

No zoom even on scopes that allow it.Come on now....make em harder peeps!!

Tracers because its a game and they look very kool.Also,because its a game its hard to see bullet impacts and range shooting with increased bullet drop needs something to counter the fact that its hard to see where bullets impact at far distances.

This video below shows what I am talking about and is using the ACE mod.It has smaller view diameter for snipers(the white indentation circle is the scope size before the mod made it smaller).It also has a very kool recoil effect added in.And it also shows the shooter having to adjust using the tracer as a guide.NOTE.....I am not talking about adding in the severe wind deflection.Start at 1:55 and you will notice he 3D scope effect,smaller sniper view diameters and using tracers to adjust.

Generally, when you zero your rifle for a particular range, bullet-drop is factored into the equation (Hence the point of zeroing)

"More" bullet drop would require that we be able to better fine-tune the zeroing of the rifle.

Tracers are a server-side setting.

Also "Paranoid military-style" is likely how one would survive in a zombie apocalypse where the general populace had access to military grade weaponry. Just be glad you don't have to avoid tank columns and aistrikes.

Edited by Dekartz

"SNIPING NEEDS TO BE BALANCED"

It ruins the game IMO since it makes players choose from surviving an apocalypse to being a paranoid military style player who literally crawls from tree to tree,bush to bush,building to building searching every possible place for enemies.Then it hit me just now that snipers just need to be nerfed bullet drop wise.They still have a huge advantage at range though .......just bring the ranges in since its a dam zombie game with a whole bunch of other unrealistic/authentic things. There I said it and now I will wait for the haters and Ninnymuggins to start their attempts to ridicule any suggestion posted on the suggestions forums.Every idea I post here will be multi-quoted for stupidity as is usual practice in Dayz forums. :rolleyes:

I'm not going to bash but to nerf snipers is rather ridiculous. A sniper weapon is designed to reach out and touch someone from afar, and is a very important element in this game.

More bullet drop very easily makes firing a sniper weapon and actually hitting anything much harder to do.

What the above posted said. I would like to see you actually having to zero the weapon though. Meaning a weapon might be out of zero or battle zeroed. You would also have to be in a steady firing position and control your breathing using the natural respitory pause many are "trained" to use when firing a well aimed shot instead of just... shoot, shoot, shoot as fast as you can click the mouse.

Smaller scopes just to add in less view space which makes it slightly harder to locate enemies.

Weapon modularity has already been confirmed. Hopefully we will be seeing a large variety of optics. Some more rare than others.

No zoom even on scopes that allow it.Come on now....make em harder peeps!!

I agree if a certain scope is fixed zoom then it should remain that way, though if the scope has a variable zoom then it should also be capable of that as well. Again multiple optics with their own unique properties.

Tracers because its a game and they look very kool.Also,because its a game its hard to see bullet impacts and range shooting with increased bullet drop needs something to counter the fact that its hard to see where bullets impact at far distances.

Minus the "cool" factor, it would be nice to see an assortment in ammunition availability.

Edited by Dreygar

To be honest, i actually like snipers as they are at the moment. I feel at a real disadvantage when using them to combat zombies and close range targets. I do however think that there should be less military grade sniper rifles and more civilian style hunting rifles that have less range and power in comparison to the larger anti material rifles.