Sign in to follow this  
JimJam (DayZ)

What the heck is the Winchester 1866?

For anyone who has looked at the loadout for this weapon, saw 12 gauge done a double take and realized something is wrong....

Winchester never made a lever action shotgun with a 15 round magazine.

They did make a 10 gauge, but that loaded max. 5 rounds, and looked nothing like the game weapon:

800px-M1887_LH.JPG

It was also very rare.

The game weapon also does not behave like a shotgun, it has a much longer range and better ballistics. And it hits pretty hard. ;)

The real "Winchester 1866" was a rifle, which fired .44 caliber rimfire Black Powder cartridges.

It was a descendant of the 1860 Henry Rifle, which was used by the Union Cavalry in the Civil War. But the 1866 only had a magazine for 7 rounds.

8531528_1.jpg?v=8CCA6026C8FB4E0

And it is extremely unlikely that a weapon this old would be available in the Caucasus, especially when it required a antique black power round.

Winchester did make a very popular internationally successful lever action model which fired modern smokeless powder, the "1892", chambered for .44/40 pistol rounds, with other versions chambering smaller pistol rounds like the .32/20. Over a million were made. The 1892 did have a magazine of 15 rounds, although I am not sure it took 15 when chambered for the .44/40. This was the weapon you always saw John Wayne carrying in the movies, in the movies it was intended to represent the "1876" model, another black powder lever action.

799px-Winchester_Model_1892_1477.jpg

I think the weapon we have in the game is a rifle, and I think it is the "Winchester 1892" chambered for the .44/40 pistol round.

44-40_Winchester_-_1.jpg

The question is whether it has the right magazine load for a .44/40 cartridge.

Anyone can answer that?

In any case, game needs to revise the weapon.

• Like 5

What is it? It's a lifesaver for those who found one when they needed one!

I don't take anything too seriously when it's based around a game.

You're absolutely right. The DayZ wiki already acknowledges this as true. Since the gun essentially behaves exactly as a rifle and does not actually interchange with the other "slugs" ingame, as in you can't combine 2 8 rounds packs into a 15 round pack, the only difference is semantics. We KNOW it's not supposed to be a shotgun, its just a matter of time until the ammo for it is rewritten as .44 Mag.

• Like 1

Wasn't the Winchester 1866 originally just a placeholder for the double barreled shotgun and could use both slugs and pellets in the early DayZ builds. I guess they tweaked it a bit through the various updates, pellets were removed, sound increased, but they probably never fully completed it.

Edited by Dallas

Yeah, there is a lot of issues with the game. This one isn't that important though.

This is the final straw that has broken the camel's back

Uninstalling as we speak

This pantomime has now come to an end :P

Edited by Marmoo
  • Like 5

Uninstalling as we speak

Why?

also the lee enfield is a bit out of place, but those two are among the most loved and useful guns you can find when you spawn, and changing the name of the ammo and updating the number on the rifle it would fit sufficiently i think

Uninstalling as we speak

O I know man, this is an outrage. I find out the best looking gun in the game is a complete fraud. OMG what is next? We gonna find Rocket is a democrat? :o

• Like 1

I found my first one of these yesterday and found it very useful after my initial "WTF is a cowboy rifle doing in Chernarus? WTFF, it's a shotgun??" spluttering had calmed down.

That's it!

ARMA 2 is now being uninstalled also

I'm not having it

C'mon boys,no one suggested this was an outrage, OP simply posted something interesting.

Edited by Dallas

I made this post as a suggestion for the game developers. Didn't say the game was bad, or the rifle's use was bad, my point was since the rest of the weapons in the game are based on actual weapons, it would be a good idea this one should also be.

For those who attacked the post, feel free, and while you're at it, maybe you should ask the developers for rayguns and pulse weapons too.

• Like 2

Wow, i doubt it really matters if the gun has slight hiccups.

The modern Yellowboy can be chambered for .45 Colt with a 13+1 magazine. .45 Colt guns can load and fire .410 shotshells, so maybe that's the explanation, although the longer shotshell would reduce capacity considerably. Other, later designs were often chambered for .410 directly, but 14+1 rounds still feels like a lot. The smallest .410, the 2.25 inch, would require a magazine almost a yard long to contain 14 shells.

I still tend to think of it as a .410. It explains the low noise, low range and lack of ammo compatibility with other shotguns.

Still....Its one of my favourite looking and sounding guns in the game! :D But if it were to be changed to make it realistic, what would have to be changed? Are you saying it should be 10 gauge (and that means less powerful, right?) and only 5 rounds? I think I would prefer it to be slightly unrealistic rather than making it much worse tbh.

To the contrary, .410 is the weakest of the commonly used shotgun cartridges. It's different from the others because it's described by its caliber (410 thousands of an inch in diameter). The "gauge" on most shells works like the gauge on wire or metal plating--smaller numbers are bigger diameters. Technically, the gauge tells you how many spheres of that size you can get out of a pound of lead. 10-gauge means each ball of that diameter would weigh a tenth of a pound, so they're the biggest of all. 12-gauge slugs, however, tend to be one ounce, or one sixteenth of a pound, since they are hollow, and not solid spheres.

Anyway, enough jabber, the 1866 kicks zombie ass and can win a gunfight, also it looks and sounds good to me. I say leave it the hell alone.

To the contrary, .410 is the weakest of the commonly used shotgun cartridges. It's different from the others because it's described by its caliber (410 thousands of an inch in diameter). The "gauge" on most shells works like the gauge on wire or metal plating--smaller numbers are bigger diameters. Technically, the gauge tells you how many spheres of that size you can get out of a pound of lead. 10-gauge means each ball of that diameter would weigh a tenth of a pound, so they're the biggest of all. 12-gauge slugs, however, tend to be one ounce, or one sixteenth of a pound, since they are hollow, and not solid spheres.

Anyway, enough jabber, the 1866 kicks zombie ass and can win a gunfight, also it looks and sounds good to me. I say leave it the hell alone.

So for idiots like me you're saying the 10 gauge is more powerful than the 12 gauge? :D

It's been stated by Rocket himself that the winchester is nothing more than a place-holder. It will be changed.

Still....Its one of my favourite looking and sounding guns in the game! :D But if it were to be changed to make it realistic, what would have to be changed? Are you saying it should be 10 gauge (and that means less powerful, right?) and only 5 rounds? I think I would prefer it to be slightly unrealistic rather than making it much worse tbh.

No, I don't see changing its basic characteristics. Just call it by the right name, and supply the right ammo.

Although if it is a 15 shot mag, it should be matched up to the right caliber and hitting power.

As mentioned, the 15 version of the Winchester was a Carbine, and fired a pistol bullet, ie. not much more hitting power than a .45 revolver.