Sign in to follow this  
DemonGroover

Sixth Sense

How about a mechanic that momentarily alerts you when someone is watching you (ie has you in their sights)? It doesnt have to be intrusive, just a tingling sensation. It might just give you a split second to go prone before a sniper blasts your head off.

I know Rocket is implementing a 'gut feeling' mechanic when rolling your sights over an uber-bandit. I just dont think too many of us would get close enough to test this new mechanic out.

• Like 1

I had the same idea... But how about, that every player starts with a "Sixth Sense" of 100% (200-300yards maybe) and is gona lose this Sense by 50% for every Murder he does. Gaining it back for 50% if he kills an Bandit. As for the logic: All that killing, makes them mental. As for killing Bandits you regain that.

I think that would even the odds a bit, for the survivors, who don't try to kill anything on sight.

/salute

Edited by Galen Cox

Demon - Mixed feelings that are leaning towards no. It would have to be so small - maybe a thin border appears around the screen that is the same transparency as the lightest peripheral vision dot? - to not have people always dodging bullets

Galen - No, just no

how bout just some sort of notice if only a bandit is looking at you... and the more they kill the bigger the notice.

I don't want a Pinpoint to the guy, who is aiming at you, only some kind of icon color chaning, that someone is watching you.

Ever played World of Tanks? There is a skill with the same name, and as for a Scout in this Game, this Skill a must. Because you sit in a Bush and see Tanks driving at you, not knowing if they have seen u yet or not. The more Skilled-Guy (u don't get the Sixth Sense skill thrown at you - you have to earn it) in the Tank, tells you via a visual Icon "Someone just spotted you".

@KnT47r: Any reason why? Whats your problem? The "your sense something" thing, or that Bandits getting some kind of "punishment"? Wasn't there in earlier Versions some kind of "Humanity"-Level in this Mod?

In this current state, the Mods gets more and more Deathmatch PvP, nobody just cares about the Zombies as soon as they get a weapon. That saddens me.

Ever get the feeling your being watched?

But also there should be a mechanic for the more murders you commit the more ... crazy you become, you have lost all ties with the real world and are now crazed.

Also it would stop bandits killing newbies because there could be a kind of "wait I might lose my sixth sence ... i'll let this guy go".

how about a "your balls are itching" notice in chat everytime there is another creature - zombie, cow or player - in your proximity?

• Like 2

But i'm not Spiderman. This is going against the whole realism concept the game is based on.

Well, i don't want to burst your bubble, but this is a Game, right? Or did you plan on uninstalling the game, right after you died? I like DayZ very much, especialy because it is on some level very realistic. A Sixth Sense is also realistic. As i said, i don't want a "PopUp on Radar, pointing the direction"-kind of Sense. I even don't say, that the guy in the mountain 2 miles away just triggers your senses. To be honest - if there wasn't the mentality to shoot everything on sight in this mod (but it is), even on guys who don't have a Weapon in his hand ("Omg! He has the a FLASHLIGHT! I need to kill him! ASAP!"), i wouldn't ask for that. As i don't won't to punish people, that want to play this game like a Deathmatch. Bandits are cool and needed in this scenario - but Deathmatch murders ruins it. Well, at least in my opinion.

But i'm not Spiderman. This is going against the whole realism concept the game is based on.

Beans... have some!

I don't mean it as a slam, but why is this needed? Do you want to be able to know when it's ok to relax? The main joy of this game for me is the deep seated paranoia that has begun to set in on me when I'm playing. When I'm in game, I'm constantly moving as though someone's trying to line me up for a shot, because they could be at any time. IMO it's one of the better things about the game.

Well, i don't want to burst your bubble, but this is a Game, right? Or did you plan on uninstalling the game, right after you died? I like DayZ very much, especialy because it is on some level very realistic. A Sixth Sense is also realistic. As i said, i don't want a "PopUp on Radar, pointing the direction"-kind of Sense. I even don't say, that the guy in the mountain 2 miles away just triggers your senses. To be honest - if there wasn't the mentality to shoot everything on sight in this mod (but it is), even on guys who don't have a Weapon in his hand ("Omg! He has the a FLASHLIGHT! I need to kill him! ASAP!"), i wouldn't ask for that. As i don't won't to punish people, that want to play this game like a Deathmatch. Bandits are cool and needed in this scenario - but Deathmatch murders ruins it. Well, at least in my opinion.

A sixth sense is not realistic. You know why? Because people don't have a sixth sense. This is an incorrect response to the PvP issue. The only way PvP will ever be addressed (and Rocket has said this many times) is by the players themselves doing something about it. There will never be anything implemented that discourages one play style over another Rocket has been pretty clear about that.

• Like 1

A sixth sense is not realistic. You know why? Because people don't have a sixth sense.

Completely agree. If OP wants to know if there's a bandit waiting to shoot him in the face, maybe he should open his eyes and scan treelines/buildings/rooftops more often, instead of blindly running around thinking he's safe. Bandits gonna bandit, just gotta accept that fact.

• Like 2

@KnT47r: ...or that Bandits getting some kind of "punishment"?....

That was my problem exactly

Bandits will never be punished, just give up on that idea all together. Bandits will never be able to get something that a survivor cant and vice versa, fact of life.

In this game you have to options:

"If i cant beat them, join em!" or

"Il try and be friendly with these randomers and die."

In this game you have to shoot on sight, that is all there is to it. because everyone that says they are a friendly will turn around and kill you. banditry isnt an option, it is a do or die tactic. You want to form a group to play around with? go make some friends, and shoot anyone who isnt in your group on sight. great success.

Completely agree. If OP wants to know if there's a bandit waiting to shoot him in the face, maybe he should open his eyes and scan treelines/buildings/rooftops more often, instead of blindly running around thinking he's safe. Bandits gonna bandit, just gotta accept that fact.

Gee, you've made a huge assumption about how i play the game. Do you have a sixth sense or something?

When i came up with this suggestion a while ago it was when Rocket was implementing the Bad Vibe feeling. I thought another progression was a "feeling" you would get if someone was watching you, as in, had you in their sights. I didnt suggest it would tell you where that person was, call it a shiver down your spine.

If Rocket is going to implement gut feelings why not this one? Some people do get the feeling they are being watched, why not add this mechanic to the game as a subtle feature?

Postal 2 multiplayer had this concept for sniper rifles. When someone aimed at you with a scope the edges of the screen became dark with a little distinctive tension sound. I'll try to find a video to post it, but the game wasn't very well known so it may be hard.

How about a mechanic that momentarily alerts you when someone is watching you (ie has you in their sights)? It doesnt have to be intrusive, just a tingling sensation. It might just give you a split second to go prone before a sniper blasts your head off.

I know Rocket is implementing a 'gut feeling' mechanic when rolling your sights over an uber-bandit. I just dont think too many of us would get close enough to test this new mechanic out.

I've posted a suggestion in the ''dog suggestion'' thread: As rocket is planning to implement dogs (german shepards i think), i suggested to give them the ability to sniff out bandits and/or snipers, showing the player where they hide. Or make them barking when some bandit is close/aiming at you, warning the player through barking towards the enemy snipers direction, indicating the player where they are.

This would be a more realistic solution, so no need for a ''sixth sense''.

Edited by jone4s

maybe if it's for all creatures and has a range limit on it.

Also has to be a feature that is duplicate of another mechanic of the game.

E.g.

Cough (when sick)

or cough when a character is watching.

thus you wouldn't know if you are getting sick or someone's watching.

P.s. coughing/sick is just a place holder to make a point ;) I don't really want it to be coughing rather a twitch or something along those line.

Edited by Bullfrog

I think perhaps a six-sense feeling when it comes to being in close proximity of another player. However, tingling because you're in the sights of a sniper could be a hard pitch to the community.

I dunno, all i think it would be was a slight shiver, you know the sort of feeling when people say "Someone just walked over my grave" It would be quick and not something that all players would recognise - not the sort of thing that would be persistent if the sights stayed on you.

A half second chill and thats it, but something that could cause you to prone in an instant if you were quick enough to recognise it.

this would really take away from the immersion. once you know about this cue, you will constantly be looking for it. you should just be constantly looking for players.

i don't see the point in explaining with this thread sucks, but if you can judge with 100% accuracy when someone is watching you IRL, you should be able to do it in game too, without some dumb mechanic telling you. i might agree to this if it only worked 1/100 times people looked at you

this would really take away from the immersion. once you know about this cue, you will constantly be looking for it. you should just be constantly looking for players.

i don't see the point in explaining with this thread sucks, but if you can judge with 100% accuracy when someone is watching you IRL, you should be able to do it in game too, without some dumb mechanic telling you. i might agree to this if it only worked 1/100 times people looked at you

This is pretty weak right here. The game world is two headphones and a screen with colored lights on it. I can't read body language, smell the air, or hear anything in the environment not pre-coded to my limited digital perception.

This is pretty weak right here. The game world is two headphones and a screen with colored lights on it. I can't read body language, smell the air, or hear anything in the environment not pre-coded to my limited digital perception.

That doesn't change the fact that this is still game breaking. The second someone is trained on you and your spidey-sense kicks in, no matter how subtle it is, you will become accustomed to it and react immediately. You will train yourself to notice immediately when someone is aiming at you. All it will do is increase tension and cause people to shoot each other even more out of fear of being stalked like an animal. I don't see how anybody can think that is a good idea.

General awareness and caution is all you need in my opinion. Once the item duping stops, and the ammo glitch is fixed and a real endgame is implemented I believe PvP action will subside significantly. Right now it's happening mainly because theres nothing else to do. You don't fix that by making people super heroes.