Izziee

Rocket, Don't leave us out the SA!

ATM dayz is a popular mod, something that makes the mod what it is, is it's community. While at the end of the day, its your game to do as you please, please head the warning of other developers to not leave the fans out.

For example

http://store.steampowered.com/video/35450/2028139

If you watch the second video in the list, the developer talks about their mistakes and how going from a mod to full product had them making the mistake of leaving the fanbase out, which is what created the game (Red orchestra 2)

Ultimately, the mod has had it's developer time taken away for you to work on the standalone, while this is completely fair, and something that many don't understand, it's YOUR time to do as YOU wish, and you don't owe us anything, please don't forget about us, and the die hard fans that WANT to see the game make it.

I don't know much about the standalone at all, but I do know it's being released in the not too distant future, that worries me, I'd love, as many others would, to be involved, even if it isn't directly.

Why does it worry you?

I already posted in the opening line with a video, I'd be writing a wall of text if I mentioned everything, but the video sums it up. Developers lose sight of things.

Take what he said with a pinch of salt or not, but it's quite obvious in MANY games nowadays. Going from mod to standalone, the casual gamers though it was too hardcore, while the hardcore players thought it wasn't hardcore enough, which is true for so many games.

This game/mod has taken a lot from it's community feedback.

Edited by Izziee

Personally, I think Rocket and co. keep their fingers on the pulse of the community.

Theres a solid amount of info about the standalone already available on the forums. Perhaps reading some of those threads will ease your 'worrying' a bit.

It's a nice post, but I still don't get it. Is it the general lack of communication that bothers you most? I'm just not sure you can draw a comparison between the 2 games really.

Edited by Fraggle

rocket is always referring to the community and the importance he attaches to it in presentations and interviews.

He's clearly a bright guy and knows how it works, he is focusing on getting the SA out and i reckon the less we get told about it the better, we are going to be in for some lovely surprises methinks.

Edited by wabbit

One of the reasons they are so quiet ATM is because they are working hard and concentrating. Rocket has spent a big chunk of this year chatting on the forums and even more reading them. I also notice him quite often having a snoop around too.

I agree with Wabbit. The less we know at this point the better. Until now DayZ has had one of the most open development processes I've ever seen. They've used this to their advantage and listened hard to the community, now it's time for them to get their heads down and work on it.

• Like 6

Interesting because I’m thinking the opposite, don't listen to everything the forums say because mostly people don't know what they really want. And the whiny ones are always the loudest.

• Like 1

Words things and stuff? To the OP, don't weep little willow, methinks you won't be left out in the stand alone, you can still have a nice xmas

I dont agree that the DayZ team are ignoring the community.

If they are a bit busy at the moment i am sure you can understand why. Would you prefer Rocket to discuss what he is putting in the SA or just get on with the job and continue to work on the SA?

I know what i would prefer.

I'm a little butt-hurt and cautious about others stealing parts of the ideas, so I'm tending to release little details rather than entire design sketches and documents as I had originally planned too.

The last factor is mainly time, I've been wanting to do another Tumblr update but time is problematic as I've been quite sick and other delays creeping in.

Edited by smasht_AU
  • Like 1

There's no way there forgetting about the community.

I would much rather wait and keep somethings a surprise.

this thread is just like the pre-mature discussions about wether Battlefield 3 or CoD Blackops will be better before games were released

all we can do now is wait for the standalone, any speculations about how the game be will be pointless, since we only know so few things and are not part of the developement process at the moment

I hope they will react as to how the community will think of the standalone and will still be ableto change a few things

Whilst I can sympathise for you in the sense that I too am dying to get a progress update, you have to appreciate that they've got the end of the year to get the initial standalone out by... they're gonna be working hard with little time to get involved in the forums, and they're all very community-orientated anyway - I don't see why you're worried!

You live out of the (money) world, you may have your wet dreams, but you must face the reality without being sad.. it's how the business works, keeps or leave:

- DayZ will be a stripped version of the current mod: no more custom mods, new user contents, and everything that made this mod epic. The control will be back in the developer hands.

- DayZ will be much more enjoyable to the casual player (call it more arcade). You cannot avoid this if you want to sell more copies, no matter how many "hard core" players there's on this forum, the money will be made by the shot-shot-shot-ramobo kids.

- In a way or another we will be "forced" to move away from this mod because (ironically) it will compete with the final game due the similarities (it will be a random patch that will break that content.. or any random accidents that will make a frustrating experiencing continuing to develop this).

That's not exactly "bad"... i mean if you're waiting to have a "better" DayZ, it's better you forget it... it will be a DIFFERENT DayZ, and you may enjoy it... the only sad part is that this mod will be probably buried, so you wouldn't have any option by then.

- DayZ will be much more enjoyable to the casual player (call it more arcade).

i think you should follow the dev-updates on twitter and co. more. it will be the opposite.

Edited by spliff

i think you should follow the dev-updates on twitter and co. more. it will be the opposite.

Yeah, yesterday someone posted on twitter about an alien invasion... are you looking at the sky?

I think it's fair enough to say that Rocket and team have been active enough on the forums, asked enough questions and listened to the community that they will do ok come the release of the beta (alpha?) - let's face it - they are essentially releasing the same game we've been playing for months but without as many hackers and with things fixed that were broken before. We might even get new content as well and then can look forward to newer content as they develop it.

Yeah, yesterday someone posted on twitter about an alien invasion... are you looking at the sky?

Well rocket has said that if anything he wants to make the game less 'accessible', more hardcore and more niche. Smart move if you ask me. It's not like BIS doesn't know about niche markets either.

Maybe he's lying, but a girl can dream can't she?

The only thing I worry about in regards to DayZ is the difficulty of the game.

I know Rocket has said he wants to keep it hard and a more specific type of game (Survival FPS) many other PC developers have said the same and eventually gimp the game to appease the unwashed masses.

I really hope that if the game were to be released on console/ more widespread recognized that they wouldn't make the game easier to attract more players - it would really ruin it for me.

I don't think there's any need to worry as much as certain people seem to.

Rocket seems like a well grounded guy, and he's made it pretty clear what he's setting out to achieve.

Any "die hard fans" should appreciate that the devs, whether they get everything exactly perfect or not, have only the best of intentions for DayZ.

Regarding difficulty, I believe it's a subject that will have to be addressed over the course of alpha/beta as more people get access to the game.

It doesn't sound like rocket plans to cave in to floods of n00b tears, that's for damn sure. ;)

tentions for DayZ.

Regarding difficulty, I believe it's a subject that will have to be addressed over the course of alpha/beta as more people get access to the game.

It doesn't sound like rocket plans to cave in to floods of n00b tears, that's for damn sure. ;)

I really hope he doesn't, there are many games that have really changed for the worse by ignoring their main initial demographic that got them popular and starting to listen to the players who only play the game because it is popular.

World of Warcraft comes to mind for me, it was brilliant at the start (albeit buggy, but Blizzard gave free membership to make up for it) it was really focused around the story and roleplay aspect of it - then became the popularity and the flood of new players.

This made loads of players start playing, whether they had interest in the game or not and the one thing that Blizzard promised to the fans is that they would never do this and that no matter how many new players asked for it.

Then came:

The paid server transfers

The paid name change

The paid race change

The paid faction change

The paid mounts and pets

This in my eyes ruined WoW and the amazing sense of community it initially had.

You were stuck of a server with the same people, if you acted like a dick people knew about it, now it's people stealing valuable loot, changing their names/race/faction/server and getting away with it.

I really do hope that DayZ doesn't stray from the core ideals and the initial fans that made a DayZ standalone possible - no matter how much whining about 'Oh it's too hard at night!', 'Oh it's hard without weapons' and other nonsense that will surely come to the forum after it reaches a more mainstream status as a brilliant game.

Edited by Rossums

You live out of the (money) world, you may have your wet dreams, but you must face the reality without being sad.. it's how the business works, keeps or leave:

- DayZ will be a stripped version of the current mod: no more custom mods, new user contents, and everything that made this mod epic. The control will be back in the developer hands.

- DayZ will be much more enjoyable to the casual player (call it more arcade). You cannot avoid this if you want to sell more copies, no matter how many "hard core" players there's on this forum, the money will be made by the shot-shot-shot-ramobo kids.

- In a way or another we will be "forced" to move away from this mod because (ironically) it will compete with the final game due the similarities (it will be a random patch that will break that content.. or any random accidents that will make a frustrating experiencing continuing to develop this).

That's not exactly "bad"... i mean if you're waiting to have a "better" DayZ, it's better you forget it... it will be a DIFFERENT DayZ, and you may enjoy it... the only sad part is that this mod will be probably buried, so you wouldn't have any option by then.

WarZ already has the casual player/arcade/gear fetish crowd covered. It being released first can be a great advantage to DayZ SA as it is giving many (me included) a taste of what they don't want. (have yet to log in this month)

Rocket is on record saying he will not sell out to the bean counters and will walk away if forced from his vision. If he walks chances are I won't be far behind. Dayz SA will be a niche game for sure and i think there is a big enough market to support this niche. Lot of gamers are tired of the cookie cutter status quo. The real test for Dayz SA will come from the competition once success has been established. Will DayZ SA be able to ride the crest of the wave or be left in the wake?

For me, i would rather see it die than be stripped down ... if it comes to that.