Sign in to follow this  
slaace

namalsk gauss gun question

So i just found the gauss/railgun in the Namalsk bunker (Well, found it last night) but it didnt have a sniper scope it has a holo sight. This normal?

Yup what? There's only one gassu rifle as far as i know (er7), and it has sniper scope (same magnification as the DMR), unless they updated the thing.

Edited by WalkerDown

I don't get it. Why would the game need such an overpowered gun? Isn't there enough 800m sniping going on?

Yep, that Gauss Rifle is just ridiculous. C'mon, there is zero skill needed to operate that gun.

Step one: Get enemy in crosshair

Step two: Pull the trigger

Step three: profit.....

No bulletdrop, one hit kill.

lolz

Edited by Draxx
  • Like 1

On my server ill log in find the gun and hide it deep in the woods. Yes, im that guy.

• Like 1

I don't get it. Why would the game need such an overpowered gun? Isn't there enough 800m sniping going on?

Why do you need an AS50 when there's an M107? Why do you need an M107 when there's M24?

Isn't DayZ all about slowly working your way up to getting the best gear?

Isn't DayZ all about slowly working your way up to getting the best gear?

Sure, but everyone has their own definition of best gear. I do not use M107, AS50, nor would I use this Gauss gun.

To me, it would seem like this gun,which takes away time of flight and bullet drop defeats the purpose of playing this mod on a military sim, where one of the selling points is realistic gunplay. Just one man's opinion of course.

• Like 2

That's ine of the issues with custom maps/servers IMO. It can break the balance of the game sometimes.

Yeah, but in original DayZ is also a complete overpowered weapon - the L85. My squad found one yesterday - we put it into a Zombie body and hid it. I really hope these kind of weapons (Gauss, Thermal) won't be in the standalone. The really hard sniper rifles like the .50cals could stay - they are extremely powerful, and this little advantage of these sniper rifles is ok in my opinion.

• Like 2

From what I know the thermal scopes won't, I heard that the thermal scope weapons are actually going to be taken out in the next update, not sure if true or not, and the gauss rifle imho is completely overpowered, and needs either nerfed or taken out.

The gauss, or rail gun, is current technology that is still in its infancy. The point about zero "bullet" drop is accurate, as the projectile is moving so fast, that over typical engagement distances, there is no percieved drop at all, and because of the velocities, time of flight is not even worth considering.

Everything classed as a projectile suffers from gravity, its just the velocity of forward motion that dictates drop over a certain distance. They will all fall at the same rate, but if your gauss projectile gets to the target before an m107 round, when fired at the same time, due to the much slower speed of the 107 round, it has had enough time to fall further.

The gauss, or rail gun, is current technology that is still in its infancy.

Yeah...for a battleship.

Edited by bfisher
  • Like 1

Yeah...for a battleship.

Haha yep. I've seen videos of (I think it was the U.S. Navy) testing a rail gun. There is absolutely no way one man could carry the current rail gun technology and use it as a sniper rifle.

I thought the gauss had been removed in latest version of namalsk?

I suggest a google search for "homebuilt rail gun" then . . . .

You can use capacitors from flash cameras or old tube tv sets . . .

The average person is perfectly capable of constructing a low efficiency, single stage gun.

Wont be a world beater, but it will be a rail gun, and you wont need a battleship for it.

I suggest a google search for "homebuilt rail gun" then . . . .

You can use capacitors from flash cameras or old tube tv sets . . .

The average person is perfectly capable of constructing a low efficiency, single stage gun.

Wont be a world beater, but it will be a rail gun, and you wont need a battleship for it.

Does it actually do anything though?

Think the fastest homebuilt (but it was a two stage gun) projectile was clocked at around 1900mps, efficiency of around 12%. You need a fair bit of cash and a real grasp of electrickery to churn out an multistage version, with velocities in the 3 - 6km/sec range, but perfectly possible mate.

First timer homebuilt? You could expect muzzle velocities higher than basically all high power conventional rifles.

Seriously, have a look around on the web, i was surprised to find what i did.

Sure, but everyone has their own definition of best gear. I do not use M107, AS50, nor would I use this Gauss gun.

To me, it would seem like this gun,which takes away time of flight and bullet drop defeats the purpose of playing this mod on a military sim, where one of the selling points is realistic gunplay. Just one man's opinion of course.

You're talking about Namalsk. A map with the intention of making military weapons VERY common, but food/drink rare. PVP was the goal of the map, as much as some of us don't like it.