Anyx7

Asking people if they are friendly?

Hey guys. I've experienced that saying "friendly" to another person is not always ending good. I've tried being friendly several times, but yet getting killed.

Tired of losing my gear...

I don't want to be seen as a bandit, so I don't kill survivors. What do you do if you have good gear and you meet someone?

• Like 2

Eye em up

if they have anything i want, kill em

if they have anything that can do bodily harm to me, kill em

if they are unarmed, threaten/humilate/enslave then kill em

if they have a ghille suit, kill em

if they say anything through the microphone really loud, kill em

if they are called paul, kill em

• Like 3

Also dont listen to that ^

Join a private hive. only thing that can help you find friendlys.

I'm currently a hero on main hive, it's hard but duable. (easy if you have friends but i'm forever alone ;( )

• Like 3

Hey mates, i'm not sure what you're talking about, ive never heard somone say friendly and later try to kill me.

Perhaps you should do more to help them? Usually when i spawn and someone offers me help, they might end up gettng me a gun. I aim it at their skull and... I can't do it i shoot the nearest zed, to not create supicison. And most bandits don't talk at all, they don't let you know their names so you can't bitch about them and you don't know who to put a kos on.

Of course if you're playing on a server with no gobal or side the best you can do is tell any surivors you see who to not trust and that usually carries with them for a while.

And how to survive a visit from Asshat, you carry a flahlight, no bodly harm, not unarmed, not named paul, don't have something he wants, don't use a mic, and guille suits are impossible to find anyways, well that is unless you use item spawn websites.

And how to survive a visit from Asshat, you carry a flahlight, no bodly harm, not unarmed, not named paul, don't have something he wants, don't use a mic, and guille suits are impossible to find anyways, well that is unless you use item spawn websites.

I personaly try to stay away from people, at least those who are alive and if you decide to team up with someone make sure you don't scare the hell out of them, i already (unfortunately) shot some guy who ran into my barn with a bunch of zombies chasing him.

I myself don't shoot newly spawns. unless they follow me around or pose/become a threat. If I see people but they do not see me. I tend to leave them alone as well.

I found 3 ghillie suits in the past 2 hours. legit spawn locations at the coast in the cherno and electrozavodsk restaurants. however I don't like to wear them. People tend to shoot ghillie suits on sight.

Never trust any one if you have a fully geared character. If you are a new spawn, you can if you want but don't be surprised if they shoot in you in the face once they get a weapon.

Hello there

Personally, the "i'm friendly" over comms has always seemed a bit of a waste of time, someone planing to kill you for your beanz is highly unlikely to let you know in advance.

Trust no one. Zeds are the most reliable, you know where you stand with them.

rgds

LoK

• Like 1

Well, my personal standing on this is that I am usually extremly cautious and I don't usually team up with randoms unless they've shown to me that they're trust worthy.

I am friendly, but if you threaten me in any way then you're a dead man. As for example, I don't shoot newly spawned, I rather help them out on their way.

If I see a person that is armed, I usually check if the person is a threat to me in any way. I usually see people first, not the other way around, and if I need anything I simply hold them up at gun point saying like "Hey buddy. Don't freak out now, I'm not going to shoot you unless you do something stupid so please put your weapon on the ground so that we can talk." Believe it or not, but on private hive's people actually listens to what you say.

I only shoot if I'm bloodthirsty (A) or if I need something badly (As for instance food or medical supplies as I'm playing on Namalsk atm). Obviously also shoot if people are stupid and turn towards me, or being shot at.

Combine "Friendly, Friendly!" with taking cover.

You should always either be on the move or very close to cover. If the person, you've called to attention, is trying to flank your covered position, ask him to stay behind cover, if he continues, you're free to assume, he's making an act of aggression. If you're forced to defend yourself, do it. If you receive a bandit skin for legitimate self defense, leave the populated area and adventure into the wilderness. If you don't kill anyone else within and hour or two, your humanity should slowly regenerate and you'll regain your survivor skin.

Communication between friendly strangers are always much more productive, when none of you have a direct line of fire to each other. Don't communicate with someone while pointing your weapon at their head, don't allow someone else to point a weapon at you either. Tell them to lower their weapon(2xCtrl) or stay behind cover.

Strike up a short conversation about DayZ, bandits, what they need and where they are going. But remeber to be careful about what you hear them say and what you want them to say. If you want their company too much, you might fail to notice any warning signs. If they mock you in any way, if they are sarcastic and cruel, there's not far between disrespecting you and pulling the trigger. If they are overly nice, if they offer something too good to be true or you get the feeling they are overacting, stay alert and don't allow them to get a line of fire on you. If you're survivor senses tinkle, say good luck and goodbye, if they follow you uninvited, kill them dead without hesitation or remorse.

If you get a good feeling about them, at some point you have to extend them enough trust and this is when your intuition will stand it's test. Keep in mind, you don't have to group up with every friendly person you meet, sometimes simply looting a supermarket together in peace and wishing each other good luck is a big moment too. Groups of strangers talking together over direct chat is a very desirable target for bandits. If you decide to group up, stay on your toes in dangerous areas, possibly plan how you treat other strangers and don't get tunnel vison on you new best buddy.

When you're looking for friendly interactions, you have to go to the populated areas, but where there are friendlies, there are bandits. Don't bring your best gear, you might lose it or you might tempt weaker souls.

P.S. To me, holding someone up at gunpoint, asking them to disarm this a dangerous world, is an act of aggression. I'm as friendly as can be, but if you ask me to get on my knees, we can no longer be friends.

Edited by Dallas
  • Like 4

Ah yes, truth is, people are a bunch of liars. And I say that as your friendly friend.

Just the other evening I was having a bit of a skip through Cherno, confident in the knowledge that there were only 2 other players in town, when one of them asked who was in town. I said I was and he asked where exactly. Ahahaha! Oh yes, I'm going to tell him that. Next thing a bullet whizzes passed my ear and like a feeble-minded chicken head I stop to taken time to wonder who could possibly be shooting at me. The shooter - very generously, I thought - shot at me again, to encourage me to think faster. So I legged it out of town as quick as my avatar would carry me. And what does the shooter say? "Hey, I killed that zombie for you....come back...do you need anything or help?" <_< I told him I'd take a rain check and I kept on running.

To be honest, I rarely meet anyone in dayz that I don't already know. When I do, it's because they've died repeatedly on the server and I can't take it any more, I just have to go help them. But the kids I come across who are immediately asking "where are you?" always end up being killers. Avoid them like you would the plague. :thumbsup:

Dallas, I agree. That's the one thing I don't like about Frankie's approach. It's humiliating and intimidating, even though he doesn't mean it to be. He's just trying to stay alive.

Edited by Sula
  • Like 1

I've met many a guy from saying friendly, I've also shot folk in the back of the head after saying it, just because I wanted their gun. We've driven around in a car looting for an hour with two guys, only for them to try and fail to kill us. We ran one over lol.

There's no real way of knowing, depends on the player, their mood and the day of the week.

The only way you survive around me is if you are on my Teamspeak, hence i give it to anyone wanting to play... if you aint on ma list then you are a threat...

Unfortunately yes there is a problem with bandits and not so friendly friendlies but hey, who said surviving the end of the world was going to be just and fair....

if you dont plan to kill other ppl you dont need good gear. Who ever see you with good gear will think you wont pvp and in most cases you are going to need to fight.

Some good advice in here. I'll keep mine short.... don't give up on people.

Yeah, 9 out of 10 times you're gonna die. Frankly that's DayZ. Tired of loosing your gear? Get used to it.

That ONE time out of 10 can be the most awesome experience you've had in DayZ yet... totally worth it in my book. Some of the best times I've had were those rare people who say they are friendly, actually are friendly, and we go on an awesome adventure.

• Like 2

No one said that, being one of the last survivors includes being "nice" to people.. that said. im not the type of guy who just pulls the trigger in your face.. And yeah, it sure is alot more fun when you have someone with you. But when you've played for.. maybe days, with the same character, being killed by someone you asumed being friendly is totally NOT worth it.. it's mentioned a few times in this thread, but it deserves to be repeated: If you're not 100% sure if you can trust a stranger, then don't. 99% is not enough.. unless you're 100.00% sure, you should probably walk away, on your own. - My suggestion is: Tell a friend about the game, encourage them to play, and if it's real life friends, chances they'll turn on you is almost non existing.

Another suggestion would be something like; Meet up in here, at the forum, or any other place you can talk with people.. get to know the ones you wanna play with.. usually helps me. - And having TeamSpeak or Ventrilo or any other engine like those, is a GREAT help due to the increased communication availabillity.

Unfortunately I've started adopting a shoot first ask questions later. IF you're tired of losing gear that is. If you're fine spending HOURS finding another compass and matches and running 3/4 of the way across the map scrounging for food, then that's your deal.

Shoot first, ask questions later.

As I mentioned recently, if you see me on the servers, playing as Sula or Twiglet, you're safe from me. I don't shoot at anyone who isn't shooting at me. Actually, you're unlikely to ever come across me unless I want you too, as I'm a bit of a lone traveller. But if you see me on a server list you can ask me for help, such as transfustions/morphine etc. I'm often up in the country but if I can reach you I will help. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Holding someone up at gunpoint and making them drop their weapons is the only sure way to get someone to talk to you.

It isnt an act of aggression is they comply and then realise you are not going to shoot them,

If you do want to team with randoms, a server with side chat is essential. Listen and wait, sometimes you will see a couple of people team up on side chat. If you can find them, try and join them yourself.

If you see someone under fire and calling friendly, kill the person attacking them and try to talk to them.

Saving someones life if they are unconcious is a good way to show your not a douche.

If you do team with someone, best thing you can do is let them have first share of the loot. If you come across a heli crash together, let them take the first pick, this way they are less likely to shoot you for the gun.

• Like 1

As I know, yelling "Friendly?" at someone just lets him know that either you are unarmed or you will not shoot first. Good information for a bandit.

I tried talking to several people only to get shot at. TS is the easiest way to find new friends and someone willing to help you.

If you ask or shout "Friendly?" and there's no answer, shoot the guy. If you don't kill him, he will surely kill you. Or run away as fast as you can if you hesitate to kill the living.

i survived may encounters (probably because i generally play on low pop servers, where everybody seems to don't want too much trouble) but when making contact with someone i follow these rules:

1) speak only when you have a good aim on the guy

or

2)speak only going in another room, going out of the building where you met, going out of sight

and

put conditions, like you don't talk/type i kill you, you aim at me i kill you.

sometimes you can get killed, specially if you have in front an expert cold blood bandit, but a lot of players kill you because they see you don't pay enough attention or because they catch you when you stop considering them a threat