Sign in to follow this  
xx_fr0st-w0lf_xx

Your opinion on scarcer food and harsher temperatures.

Survival apsects  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see scarcer food and harsher temperatures?

• I would like both scarcer food and harsher temperatures
    • I would only like scarcer food
    • I would only like harsher temperatures
    • I would not like scarcer food or harsher temperatures

Dayz has 2 parts to it that work together to make it the best it can be. This is PvP and survival. At the moment, survival is not really a big issue. Within the first 20 minutes you could find enough supplies to last you ages. Surviving in Chernarus is as easy as it can be and there are 2 simple reasons for this.

1) Food and drinks are everywhere. Every time I play Dayz I find my guy to be carrying enough food and drinks to last 10 lifetimes. If you happen to pass by a supper market,you can find up to find 5 cans of food and plenty of drinks. The portion of the game that is supposed to be spent to looking for food is removed because of this. You can just go about your business and forget about hunger and thirst because you know you are going to stumble upon mountains of beans and enough soft drinks that you can take a bath in them.

If you compare Chernarus to Namalsk, then the situation is completely opposite. I don't think, that in my entire time of playing Namalsk, did I ever leave a can of food on the floor because I did not have enough inventory space. Plenty of times I would go hungry and use my full effort to hit those super markets to get food. I even had a guy trade with me a map a compass and a box of matches for a can of beans because he was starving. I had me and 4 friends pass around a water bottle taking turns to fill it up and drink from it. These are things that cannot happen due to abundance of food and drinks on Chernarus.

2) Temperature is non existent in Chernarus. There is simply no way you will ever be sick on Chernarus unless you are swimming on the coast in the middle of the night while it is raining. I have never seen my temperature even flicker when on Chernarus. This makes campfires and heat packs useless (unless you want to cook food for a few seconds). You never have to worry about staying warm or battling the cold hard wind as you fight to stay healthy.

In Namalsk, heat packs regain there value. I can't count how many times I have sat down by warm fire with some friends to warm up in the middle of the night. Or the amount of times I heard that sad cough coming from me or one of my friends. How many times have I made trips to hospitals just to find antibiotics. I have never experienced any of this in Chernarus.

In my opinion, add these 2 simple survival aspects to make Chernarus more deadly and a bit more about survival. We should learn from Namalsk and the map;s key features that make it so good and implement them into Chernarus to make dayz be the best game it can possibly be. I'm talking about game changing mechanics, just 2 things that would help with the immersion of Dayz.. I'm curious in what you think about these 2 survival aspects.

Thanks for reading

- frostwolf

TL;DR make there be less food and more harsher temperatures in Chernarus just like in Namalsk

• Like 7

I think it's a pretty unanimous agreement that DayZ needs both these things. Rocket has agreed that the temperature mechanic is severely underutilized, so I think we can expect it in the standalone. I'm sure food will become much more scarce, too.

Agree.

As a group on Namalsk we found that food is basicly the most scarce resource, a good few times have we been using many blood bags to keep topping up our health because its being depleted from starvation. That had happened on Chernarus before but very rarely and usually when I was on my own.

Agree.

As a group on Namalsk we found that food is basicly the most scarce resource, a good few times have we been using many blood bags to keep topping up our health because its being depleted from starvation. That had happened on Chernarus before but very rarely and usually when I was on my own.

Yes this is exactly what we are missing from Chernarus, Due to this I play almost exclusively on Namalsk. So much more immersion when you must fight for you food, rather then it being handed to you.

Edited by xX_frost-wolf_Xx

As far as Chernarus is concerned i think food and weapons/ammo should be more scarce, temperature could be tweaked but not to the extremes that you find in Namalsk as that wouldnt fit in with Chernarus' enviroment.

I think Namalsk pretty much nailed it, although I don't like the abundance of weapons. Some people say that people are more friendly when they're not afraid to lose some high-end weaponry since those weapons are everywhere on the map, but I'd prefer to see crap-tier shotguns, crossbows, and hatchets rule as the predominant weapons on the map, with AKMs being as rare as the crossbows are now. Although I love the changes Namalsk has introduced, I think it makes banditry and general survival too easy with the abundance of good weapons. Being a bandit with a shotgun or the likes would be much more challenging, and interesting than the current 300m+ engagements that take place.

• Like 1

Try Namalsk, enjoy your 1 hour life

I have been saying for ages to set up a map in the North of Scotland, The Highlands is an ideal place for ultimate survival, nearest thing to that so far has been Namalsk.

• Like 2

I think Namalsk pretty much nailed it, although I don't like the abundance of weapons. Some people say that people are more friendly when they're not afraid to lose some high-end weaponry since those weapons are everywhere on the map, but I'd prefer to see crap-tier shotguns, crossbows, and hatchets rule as the predominant weapons on the map, with AKMs being as rare as the crossbows are now. Although I love the changes Namalsk has introduced, I think it makes banditry and general survival too easy with the abundance of good weapons. Being a bandit with a shotgun or the likes would be much more challenging, and interesting than the current 300m+ engagements that take place.

Namalsk isn't perfect. The abundance of military gear is a major downfall in certain situations. The temperature may be a little too much, but this is not about Namalsk, its about learning what Namalsk did well in, and where it didn't and learning from it to improve dayz.

Option 5 : leave it alone and play the game as is :)

That is option 4........

Both of those, and zombies need to not be a joke. This is a ZOMBIE survival game. Right now they can pretty much be ignored, aside from the occasional side step to dodge their (mostly) wimpy attacks.

Namalsk isn't perfect. The abundance of military gear is a major downfall in certain situations. The temperature may be a little too much, but this is not about Namalsk, its about learning what Namalsk did well in, and where it didn't and learning from it to improve dayz.

I disagree,I am in love with what Sumrak has done so far.The island is full of military bases and you would expect them to have alot of weapons.This also prevents noob hunting by giving them a chance to fight back pretty well.When I die though I still get hurt since I lose hours of farming the matches,compass,canteen,skins,GPS,NVG etc.But again I love that very fast into new life I am in fighting form.The other items are very beneficial but not having a good weapon to fight with just sucks.

Shit temp? (Namalsk) I froze my beard off tits deep in snow crawling up to a couple guys squaring off beef over a rifle barely made it an hour after that from catching emphysema.

Food? Whats the point if you run like I do with hatchet and supplies I havent been to a store for a can of pasta for a week plus cant dump that organic living off the land style

Edited by Steak and Potatoes

I don't want the food to be as rare as it is in MineZ. Finding food in there is like trying to find a L85AWS.

I disagree,I am in love with what Sumrak has done so far.The island is full of military bases and you would expect them to have alot of weapons.This also prevents noob hunting by giving them a chance to fight back pretty well.When I die though I still get hurt since I lose hours of farming the matches,compass,canteen,skins,GPS,NVG etc.But again I love that very fast into new life I am in fighting form.The other items are very beneficial but not having a good weapon to fight with just sucks.

Dont get me wrong, I love the map, I love the military bases, I love just about everything. I'm just saying that I understand why some people would dislike the amount of weapons. Personally I agree with you 100%

I am nicely geared up with warm clothes,M4A3 cco,6 magazines,compass,matches but also once again 5 cans of beans w/5 cans of soda.And once I finally found the warm clothes I feel on the edge of being bored.Yet I do know how to fix this problem....just throw all my food and soda away and in 1/2 hour I will be fully immersed again.But the problem is I do not have a canteen and animals are hard to find at times.If I do throw out all my supplies then I will likely die and lose what I worked all day to achieve.Gonna do it anyway as I like the scavenging to survive feeling.

Frost-wolf,yeah it kinda throws realism out the window when places have 3 riles laying on floor.I think a way to fix this is to put downed soldiers with the weapons laying next to them to signal that its not just massive amounts of weapons everywhere.

I feel that food doesn't spawn to much, but it's enough to change it to a more scarce spawn chance. Along with that I also agree with strong temperatures. Heatpacks are basically useless unless you have a boat. I suggest there should be jacket spawns. You put it on to keep you warm when the temperature drops so you don't have to constantly use heatpacks, and when the temperature rises you should take it off so you don't get heat stroke or something of that nature. It would add a nice little spin to the game.

I believe with harsher survival conditions people will come together and help each other to survive. Either that or everything will continue to go to hell when people keep killing each other for their beans. I hope it won't be the latter as I haven't seen much friendlies and would like to help other people and become the Chernarus Medic.

I do believe the food icon should also take a little longer to start flashing or if it does start flashing it should take a little longer for you to start dying by starvation.

• Like 1