Judemoukari

Do you trust Rocket's vision?

nobody should expect the initial release to be OMG SUPER AMAZING FLA;SDFJ;ALSFJ because there will be bugs. this is unavoidable. I only say this because I know there will be a ton of people saying, "omg standalone sucks" when they have to realize IT HAS JUST BEEN RELEASED.

/pre-rage

Just to add to this, keep in mind that the stand alone release will follow the Minecraft model meaning the game will release in Alpha at a reduced price of the final product. So it will most certainly have bugs and glitches in it, although most of the hacks we are seeing now will be done away with.

dayz has the best foundation. Zombie apocalypse, huge maps great loot system, pvp encounters. The concept is there but now it is time to build and polish the game.

Dayz has so much potential I hope it is not gone to waist.

Its not always easy to understand one another using just text. I know that sounds stupid. But when I say 'realism' what I really mean is what you described. If you and I had a verbal conversation about the subject we'd be talking about the same thing and agreeing. I guess the easiest way to describe it is you say tomato I say tomato. Am I making any sense? I havent had my morning coffee yet...

Absolutely. No worries. I was a bit sarcastic at first, so I probably deserved it. My point is that the focus should be on the quality of the experience, not some impossible goal like realism. So yeah, we do agree for the most part although I would endorse wholly unrealistic features if it made the game more fun or more engrossing. I don't think everyone shares that opinion as it seems to me that some people do not want the game to be more fun. Often these people use realism as their excuse, so I may have unfairly lumped you in with them.

Cheers.

So many cry baby's in here.

Bring on the "anti game" cuz I've been playing the same shit since 1997.

Bout time someone like rocket creates a game that's hardcore. So all the pussys can fuck off and play with themselfs if they want some "fun"

So you want the game to be not fun?

There are plenty of not fun games, like "Poke Yourself in the Dick with a Switchblade." That game is mega hardcore but no one really plays it.

Is that what you want for DayZ?

There are plenty of not fun games, like "Poke Yourself in the Dick with a Switchblade." That game is mega hardcore but no one really plays it.

You do realize fun is subjective right? So just because you don't think something is fun... doesn't mean it isn't.

Also why does a game have to have such a broad appeal? Isn't it perfectly acceptible (as long as BIS is happy) to be niche?

I'll restate what I said before, If you aren't having fun in DayZ at any point in time, don't play it! Simple really... no?

Is that free to play?

• Like 1

No I do not, simply because the core gameplay bugs still exist yet they change the dumbest of features, namely not being able to eat in a vehicle, that is quite possibly the stupidest alteration I have ever seen. Until they can sort out the "pick up hatchet" frustration I cannot place my trust in someone who did a half-arsed job.

• Like 1

I think what he is saying is that he prefers a game with a little cerebral activity and a lot of balls to juggle at one time, as well as requiring tactical skill. Your typical shooter (COD,Battlefield, CS, etc) is tactical skill based you don't need to keep awareness about 20 different variables which will affect an outcome, outcomes are basically decided with perk/weapon ladders, physics (usually greatly simplified physics) and reaction times. On the other hand strategy games don't require much tactical skill(stating the obvious), reaction times and physics play only a minimal role and your success depends primarily on your planning/adaptation ability and how good you are at dealing with a large number of variables. DayZ has taken ARMA - which is basically a tactical game with more realistic physics (ATVs excluded) - and has added a lot of small scale strategy - eating, drinking, healing, looting are significant variables on the outcome which you have to juggle.

DayZ reminds me of the great fun I had playing games like Rainbow Six, Grand Prix 3 and Railroad Tycoon (before I started playing DayZ I was on an insatiable Railroad Tycoon 2 bend, it still holds up). But there's actually much more to DayZ then these games because although they offered a fusion of hardcore strategical and tactical gameplay simulation they offered limited storylines. DayZ on the other hand is wide open to story creation. These days there aren't many are hardly any games made which are willing to be so demanding of the player on both tactical and strategic fronts. From what he has said I don't think rocket wants to get out of this 'hardcore' niche, in fact he seems to want to introduce even more balls to juggle - which is fine by me.

You do realize fun is subjective right? So just because you don't think something is fun... doesn't mean it isn't.

Also why does a game have to have such a broad appeal? Isn't it perfectly acceptible (as long as BIS is happy) to be niche?

I'll restate what I said before, If you aren't having fun in DayZ at any point in time, don't play it! Simple really... no?

I get that. I was just pointing out that if it wasn't fun, no one would play it. I think there are some who want DayZ to be a griefer's paradise. Maybe that's Rocket's vision and maybe that will be fun to some people. I wonder how well a game designed for sociopaths who enjoy other people's misery would sell? Maybe Rocket has discovered an untapped market, the sociopath market.

Whether people agree with every decision made or not, DayZ has a following which will ensure it's success.

The project could end up going in a direction totally the opposite of what the masses want, I trust him to do what HE wants.

He's getting shit done, and I'm going to support him because I respect his vision.

His work has earned Rocket a shitload of appreciation.

You can't deny that.

Edited by Chabowski

stand alone will not fall too far from the mod, so i expect a hard game,good graphs etc, whatever he does i will like

I want DayZ to be DayZ.

I have faith in him, I mean he has gotten us this far. When I started playing DayZ I never thought it would get as popular as this. Even if the SA is a complete disaster I wouldn't care, the mod has given me hundreds upon hundreds of hours of fun/fear/excitement/dickery which I will never forget.

Seeing what he has done in DayZ and hearing where his plans are heading, I trust him to take the right path. With his comments on things, I don't expect a sudden deviation from hardcore military sim survival, into a casual action game at all, not that I'd mind that, but I think the DayZ ship is pretty steady in the direction it has laid out lol

Worst thing for some of you, maybe. Good thing for some of us. Personally i hate where Rocket plans to take DayZ and it's getting more of an annoyance then fun.

Fun > Realism. In every case. Feel free to check the Last players in 24h... 1.3mil unique players in total and only 35k in the last 24h? Simply pathetic, even for a mod.

You are playing the wrong game then, there is another game(name starts with war) with more emphasis on fun that would better suit you.

I just hope he doesnt ruin a great game with a bunch of crap....

I just hope he doesnt ruin a great game with a bunch of crap....

I suggest you reconsider and rephrase this "bunch of crap".

no substance what so ever, nor anysense of decency to at least explain what exactly is "bunch of crap" to you.

and the notion of "ruin a great game" is totaly absurd. If an individual managed to create a great game, wont you agree that it is fairly unlikely that he will also be the one to turn it into bunch of crap? Usually it goes like this: First guy have a great idea and brings it to life > First guy moves on to his next stop in life > his succesor takes over the project and change things around > the project wether turns into bunch of crap, or turning even more successful than before, or the person incharge getting fired before neither happen.

Edited by Josefinko