Sign in to follow this  
Slyguy65

So what is special about namalsk

I've not played it that much but my initial impression is that it suits my play style. I killed 4 bandits inside a couple of hours and even if you do die re-gearing is quite easy, the map is also smaller than Lingor so you aren't running around forever.

As others have said all loot bar military is scarce and the elements play a bigger role in your survival, below is a link to our first night of playing it and some of the daft things we got up to:

• Like 1

namalsk > chern

The reason why namalsk is better is because there is more friendlies, the reason for that is because people are not as scared to lose their guns because they are easily found, making less paranoid players and much more friendly players, I found more friendlies on namalsk in 3 days then I did in the past 2 months on chern

I cant stop praising this map, I hope it gets compatible for stand alone

namalsk > chern

The reason why namalsk is better is because there is more friendlies, the reason for that is because people are not as scared to lose their guns because they are easily found, making less paranoid players and much more friendly players, I found more friendlies on namalsk in 3 days then I did in the past 2 months on chern

I cant stop praising this map, I hope it gets compatible for stand alone

Funny, I had the complete opposite experience in Namalsk. Maybe I need to give it another try.

Loads of zombies, awesome survival elements (low food/water/cold weather elements), guns common but food rarer...the food scarcity is a welcome change, mid/high tier weapons need tweaking and less availability!

Water sources/soda is much more scare, I cheered when I found one water bottle after finding m4s, aks, akms by the truckload. Food so damn rare I saw a rabbit and shot it with an AKM on a full 60 person server. I went in to gut it...rolled the mouse wheel onto hide body trying to be quick and cried as the rabbit sank into the ground...that and snow, new heli…gawsh what’s not to like!

The creepy children sounds are annoying. People say they add mode but it’s a crass way of going about it. As sutble as flying jet around the sky towing a sign reading “FEEL IN SCARED MOOD NOW”

Edited by Trizzo
  • Like 1

There also seem to be some excellent new weapons too.

So far i've found: AK-74 with GP-25 grenade launcher and a L85A2 ACOG with AG-36 grenade launcher. Very Snazzy.

Warm clothing looks fantastic, and its good to seem temperature being a real concern.

So so much of this is taken right from STALKER. Some of the buildings, the anomaly to the north and some items kicking about.

Needs bloodsuckers, needs bloodsuckers badly.

• Like 1

I wish the Warm Clothing was white/snow camo in design. More green clothing was disappointing, especially since those clothes shine most in allowing you to live off of the frozen white mountains others would die on. I was hoping to live atop the mountain with my white clothes and my new gauss rifle, but I guess it's not to be.

Also, I keep hearing this map compared to STALKER. Coincidentally, I bought STALKER CoP for about two bucks a few days ago... sounds like I need to try it out!

Guest cRy

Nothing really.

You are forced to run through mountains, never finding clothing and shivering uncontrollably. Which makes banditing ridic, compared to the already steep learning curve of shooting in this game. I would be fine with the map if you could find warm clothes more readily but I spent a few hours on several servers and none of them had them. In fact, most server seemed to be bugged and were just barely spawning tin cans. If they did spawn a weapon it would have no ammo.

The map's ambient sound is nice. But, that is about it. The layout of the map is horrid as well. It's like a poor man's Lingor. Compact, dull, and not very many locations to explore. Also, the best place in the game is so easy to defend. The underground labs have the best loot, apparently. When I finally was able to get in there, after some failed attempts because ppl camp the ladder like crazy I was in. Tin cans, empty bottles, ohh... akm... no ammo..

Horrible map!

Edited by cRy

I've been loving it. It's a well designed map that has various choke-points lacking in Chernarus. Don't get me wrong, for me Chernarus will always be the best overall map for now but of all the "new" maps Namalsk is my fav. The temperature adds a really interesting tactical element. Where I play it's fair to say that it has become a bit of a PVP map but that isn't an issue for me since I can enjoy a separate character on there and then skip back to Chernarus for my more "long-term" character.

Guest cRy

I bet you keep them together so you can handle situations.

Right, Fraggle?

I like it very much. Still haven't found a single piece of clothing though! Does the winter clothing spawn in Residential areas like the rest?

Also, played the Nightstalkers campaign before and enjoyed that as well (and the one back in OFP, 2007, called Nightstalkers: Return to Chernogorsk Zone :P).

Edited by Ceallach

The only thing missing from this map is a hind.

I think the KA-77 is a perfectly acceptable substitute.

Love this map,been playing it for past few days,deffinitly my favorite after Chernogorsk,the winter effect adds that little extra,never liked the Lingor Island,zombie apocalypse in tropic place is not so scary as it is in this winter hell that is in Namalsk.

Also I like that you usually fresh spawn in the south while the shops are all up north so you have to go look after the food and water in order to get to the north.

My first objctive is usally to get to Object ALL,gear up and then head up north to Varkuta to get more food and if lucky better backpack,cause everything bigger then that starter backpack is extremly rare(havent seen any yet).

here is a fresh pic of me in warm clothes i found in the underground facility in Object ALL.

arma2oa2012-10-3018-48-55-59.jpg

I heard the temperature is actually important, also that there is some scifi gun and that there "broken equpment" that you have to repair with scrap metal...is there anything else that is special about the map.?

Basically its almost an addon, its a great little map where you have to watch your temperature and where you, the ambient sounds add a level of paranoia from what I've heard, it almost reminds me of STALKER. Well technically the map is STALKER in origin, a lot of the buildings and areas are recreations of STALKER buildings, and its eerie. Just the way it should be in a STALKER game or DayZ.

Now we just need some genius to come out with a Metro2013 Map of the Surface for DayZ and we'll be set.

Only thing that is crappy atm is Warm Clothes, they only work on males... no surprise there, and they are bugged, while wearing Warm Clothes only one person can get into a vehicle with warm clothes. So if you encounter an issue where you know a vehicle is more than one passanger and you can't get in, try taking your warm clothes off.

Only thing that is crappy atm is Warm Clothes, they only work on males... no surprise there, and they are bugged, while wearing Warm Clothes only one person can get into a vehicle with warm clothes. So if you encounter an issue where you know a vehicle is more than one passanger and you can't get in, try taking your warm clothes off.

You can fix it by having other people get in before you.

Been playing it for couple of days now and so far liking it. In my experience the friendly/bandit ratio is about 50/50.

I usually play douche and just shoot everyone on sight, basicly because they will most likely just shoot me on sight or until they find a gun, but yesterday I had to play friendly since matches are so rare and I've only seen one cow so far.You just can't eat your self back to full health in Namalsk. Someone has to punch those bloodbags in you if you get hurt. Anyway it was a refreshing experience to notice that live survivors can be more useful than dead survivors.

Even though the cold weather is very very annoying, it is annoying in the good way. Fighting in the mountain tops is really hard if you keep shaking all the time. Only problem I have with this is that I don't know how heatpacks work, atleast when I used them I didn't notice any dramatic changes in the thermometer...

The residential/military loot spawn ratio is really interesting in this. Basic military weapons have been reduced to empty tin cans in my mind. Every house, building and wreck is just littered with them. The more "rare" military weapons are also as common as makarovs in Chernarus. And you can usually find ammo for these guns more than you can carry. And like everyone else have said in this topic, food is RARE! You can usually find enough coke or pepsi to keep you going but those beans... you just can't find them unless you hit the old hospital or the big city and those are packed with bandits.

Coyote backpack is still a rare drop even though military spawns are everywhere and because of there are so few residential spawns and such, if you find a bigger backpack you can consider your self lucky.

Lurking the side chat and talking to couple friendly survivors gave me the impression that attitude towards bandits is very hostile which made me reconsider that do I even want to get lots of negative humanity and "accuire" the bandit skin because then I would not only have the other bandits to worry about but also every survivor and hero too.

All in all the enviroment is really harsh and a lot more unforgiving than it is in Chernarus. My unprofessional oppinion is that this will force people to work together with random survivors just to survive, IF you are playing without +3 man squad in skype that is.

Most fun I've had since playing chenarus for the first time ! Great little map pvp is more common and I found myself becoming a bandit very fast 3 hours in and 6 kills later I logged off but man what a great few hours gameplay ! So much fun highly recommend it to everyone .

Just found out about these underground labs !! I never knew I must find them now !

Banditry is more fun i have to admit, I've been doing it on private servers and the fact that most players will have an assault rifle makes for a real challenge.

Everyone also seems more friendly, even had a newbie player run up to me and say hi. I proceeded to tell him to piss off or I'd empty a mag in his face (I dont shoot unarmed players, no sport in that)

Also traded an M16A2 for a can of beans once, due to the lack of food co-operation seems to happen alot more, especially as things like assault rifles are really common.