thygrrr

Can you get a global ban for FRAPS?

Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt:

Battleye support site says they disallow DirectX Overlays, explicitly mentioning Fraps. (and would that include Steam Overlay, too?!)

I wanted to make some let's plays but now I'm scared to run fraps. (I also wanted to run fraps to see my FPS with my new graphics card, too)

How are all those youtube videos created if not with Fraps or similar DirectX-Hooking software?! I hardly doubt everyone has a HD video capture device at home...

You can turn the FPS overlay off in Fraps. Or are all DirectX hooks forbidden now, and not just overlays?

You need to raise this issue with BattlEye. I don't know the answer, I use fraps all the time and I'm not banned but YMMV.

I use Dxtory with the overlay disabled. Fraps probably has a similar feature. Personally, I haven't encountered any BattleEye issues, and I've been recording ARMA 2 MP content for over a year.

I've been running MSI afterburner to monitor my FPS, GPU temps etc for ages, haven't been banned for it.

IMO its stupid to ban for things like this, imagine you buy the game via Steam, start playing, only to get banned for having the steam overlay open. That's a wasted £15-£25

directX hooks might yield too many false positives, I doubt BattleEye would ban globally for it (but kicks / local bans might be possible)

But FUD runs high since the global ban thing (because so many people claim to be innocent and for people who don't know the "Process", ironically kafkaesque as it is, there is now way to know whether these people are actually guilty or not - only hoping that the at the current time somewhat trolly dayz staff is correct in its authority)

:-) this is more of a hypothetical problem, and as a programmer I'd say an app cannot reliably identify whether a hook is just for screen capture or the injection of info, so turning the FPS overlay off should look all the same to BattleEye.

tl,dr; Kudos for banning a lot of cheaters, may there be no false positives, ever.

If this would be true i would have been insta banned aswell. I permanently have fraps running, because from time to time i need to restart the game since i magically permanently lose about 10 fps, which is fixed after restart. This shit cost me my life already.

It's just what they recommend. In the same way as PunkBuster recommends that no other programs be running on the computer except the game it protects - this came after a certain IRC exploit. Obviously though, you can run whatever you want.

I should really start FRAPSing - but it's quite easy to turn off the overlay? I forget how it works... I'll reinstall tonight :)

Never had a problem with FRAPS and neither has anyone else in this thread. I would say you are pretty safe.

I will continue to use it. I have always used FRAPS from Arma 1 through to Arma 2 / OA and now Dayz.

Dont think that because you are playing Dayz that this is the problem. If there is a problem (which I very much doubt) it is the game and not the mod.

I don't know. I'm guessing I got banned for using a program called Six Updater. My friend told me to get it. It is a third party program so heads up to anyone who uses these instead of launching through Steam.

Six Updater is the official launch/update tool for DayZ, so you'll not get banned from using it.

i use fraps overlay , mumble and used to use steam overlay before i went beta patch. No ban yet...

I don't know. I'm guessing I got banned for using a program called Six Updater. My friend told me to get it. It is a third party program so heads up to anyone who uses these instead of launching through Steam.

No, you wont get banned for that, all those programs are safe, Im using most of them without any problems.

A shit, using fraps overlay all the time, haven't logged yet so I hope I didnt get banned for that. :S

OUCH MY FRICKING EYE MUSCLES.

My eyes like rolled out of my head.

I can't believe anyone would think someone could get banned for using the Steam overlay.

Um, what percentage of the client base bought this game on Steam (calm down, I mean Arma II)? There would be a huge tidal wave of people bitching and moaning, not just the innocent lambs on here making threads about how they found mysterious weapons and can't someone please help them???

Yeah, I know. But from a programmer's perspective, the steam overlay is no different from other overlays. In fact, I'd make my process look like the steam process at the windows/DirectX API level if I were a cheat developer.

The whole anticheat discussion is an arms race that legit players always lose. (but the permabans are a good thing though because they starve the community of all themkids who just copy publically available hacks instead of developing their own)

I mentooned steam overlay because technically, it's the same kind of directx hook as any other would be. :)

I use bandicam to record + see my fps, no problems so far. "cross fingers"

Yeah' date=' I know. But from a programmer's perspective, the steam overlay is no different from other overlays. In fact, I'd make my process look like the steam process at the windows/DirectX API level if I were a cheat developer.

The whole anticheat discussion is an arms race that legit players always lose. (but the permabans are a good thing though because they starve the community of all themkids who just copy publically available hacks instead of developing their own)

I mentooned steam overlay because technically, it's the same kind of directx hook as any other would be. :)

[/quote']

I'd say that this is a discussion of an unlikely source for the bans.

From my admittedly arm's length knowledge of how people are spawning stuff, it seems like memory editting and file replacement through scripts, not using any kind of overlay like steam. I think the overlay portion of the discussion is probably for wall hacks or other visually based in play problems. While those may exist, I don't think that this type of cheat is what is resulting in people killing entire servers or spawning ships and tanks.

Ok can we just say that using the following:

FRAPS

Steam overlay

Mumble overlay

TS3 overlay

Bandicam

Gameclaw

Six Updater

etc, etc, etc...

WILL NOT GET YOU FUCKING BANNED!!!

It's just what they recommend. In the same way as PunkBuster recommends that no other programs be running on the computer except the game it protects - this came after a certain IRC exploit. Obviously though' date=' you can run whatever you want.

[/quote']

If you play call of duty II with steam overlay you get kicked from pb. I think it should work the same way in arma 2 with fraps occasionally. Maybe. Never tried it.