Publik

Rocket I love you: Going out of bounds - exploit or acceptable?

why shouldn't you be able to? there's nothing unrealistic about being able to hide something away in a 225 square kilometer area of mostly wilderness' date=' and it doesn't hurt gameplay either.

[/quote']

It is OUTSIDE the map. You have 225 square kilometers to hide your loot, yet you have decided that this isn't enough for you. Stop making excuses.

It is an exploit and it will be fixed.

I was talking to antvan you mong. Do you even read threads before posting in them?

The map is infinite, BI just couldn't detail infinite at the time.

It is OUTSIDE the map. You have 225 square kilometers to hide your loot' date=' yet you have decided that this isn't enough for you. Stop making excuses.

It is an exploit and it will be fixed.

[/quote']

Blay and I were merely exchanging our opinions on the whole tent issue, in general, within the actual map area (225 square kilometres). We were not talking about hiding stuff beyond the borders of the map.

Until I can actually put my tent in a decent spot (Meaning I can place it ANYWHERE I want) I will continue to do it on the outside.

Exploit? please... You can reach them areas just as easy as someone else. There is a perfect balance with putting a base in the map and putting it out. For us that do it outside the map we have to spend AGES, and I mean ages running/driving back.

As the game is right now 255km is not big enough to hide a base within it. Even more so when tents have to be in the open and on flat ground. Far to easy to find someone's base.

Don't cry just because you don't invest the time in building the base further away.

What enaver says sums it up: hiding stuff inside the map is borderline impossible once you get more than one tent up, so players are responding by going literally miles outside of the game world. It goes to show that there's a problem with saving items and vehicles, and simply banning people from using the border regions isn't going to solve it.

It's dickish to stash crap out of bounds but on the other hand, they gotta jog a long way to get to it.

There is no risk in pitching a tent outside of the map miles away from any city which is why I would call it an exploit. NOBODY is going to look for tents that far out of the map. To those of you who think ideas to stop this break immersion, after travelling through a thick forest toward the end of the map and then suddenly encountering a massive open flat area while the tree line that I am in is perfectly aligned with the map is "IMMERSION" breaking.

If you and your clan hides vehicles or tents in this way, YOU ARE CHEATING.

It's funny how people that actually do stuff like this defend the idea no matter what, making up all kind of good reasons to do so.

Assuming there was a point in the map where i could fly into the sky and store my gear in heaven, is that also ok? Just because it's there?

I think it's fair to make it easier to hide the tent INSIDE the map, regarding the terrain, i mean, but hiding stuff outside the borders is of course wrong.

There is a map for a reason, and those areas are not included for a reason, that's what i think at least.

What enaver says sums it up: hiding stuff inside the map is borderline impossible once you get more than one tent up' date=' so players are responding by going literally miles outside of the game world. It goes to show that there's a problem with saving items and vehicles, and simply banning people from using the border regions isn't going to solve it.

[/quote']

Still, solving the issues with tent placement (allowing people to place them without such strict restrictions in woods, hills, lakes, buildings, etc.) does not solve the problem of using land areas beyond the map for the bases. People will be still going to do that because it is considered more safer choice.

If you and your clan hides vehicles or tents in this way' date=' YOU ARE CHEATING.

[/quote']

In smaler deathmatch modes in ArmA, designated game zones or spawn areas are often shielded off, to prevent players from leaving the killzone or spawn camping. If Rocket had any desire to prevent players to using the full expent of the map, all he had to do, was place four triggers. He didn't, hence you can travel all over the map.

considering the way this thread exploded with the most asinine reasons as to why this isnt an exploit I cant wait for the flood of baby tears when Rocket finally fixes it.

It's not a bug.

Remember flying a jet in BF2 and constantly having to turn, because you got out of bounds. Dorothy we're not in BF2 anymore.

Assuming there was a point in the map where i could fly into the sky and store my gear in heaven' date=' is that also ok? Just because it's there?

[/quote']

Reducto ad absurdum.

It's funny how people that actually do stuff like this defend the idea no matter what' date=' making up all kind of good reasons to do so.

[/quote']

It's funny how the people that actually don't hide stuff like this attack the idea no matter what, making up all kind of bad reasons not to do so.

All your arguments are invalid or ridiculously.

Also to the other person claiming that its "cheating" needs to look up what the word means.

when the person you're arguing with starts quoting the wikipedia page on logical fallacies, it's time to get out

I cant wait for the flood of baby tears when Rocket finally fixes it.

This.

It's amazing how people on one hand can complain about map size' date=' lack of [u']realism and immersion when trying to set up camp inside the borders, then in the same post go on about how uber - realistic their behaviour is when walking off the map into a giant zone of endless green hills and no vegetation.

Not only are these people bypassing the core game mechanics behind the mod by hoarding stuff like that in zones that are not ment to be ventured into for a reason, these people are fucking with the respawn mechanics of vehicles as well. The more you stash them away in the weirdest places the less can be tested to find and squash out the bugs.

Even a drunken chimp could have figured that out by himself, but oh well. There's the interwebz to be won with 1337 azz wehiculs n stuff. :dodgy:

The out of bounds was never intended to be played on

hence no grass,textures or objects.

I would say its basically an exploit to use any area not in the textured map.

Easily fixed with a boundary script though.

Either instant death after 30 seconds with an on screen warning of radio activity or something.

Or health drops to blood 1000 until you use antibiotics.

Or food and drink get used 10x faster

saving out of bounds should not be allowed. Char should be placed back inbounds where the char first left the bounds.

Can't really see how walking over the line is cheating... but ok whatever floats your boat. Anyone can do it and no dev has demanded it a no go zone so at this moment in time, you're ok to go there.

Simple as that really.

Also to the other person claiming that its "cheating" needs to look up what the word means.

Hey Enaver it seems like you're shooting me, let me disconnect. Alright, I'm moving position on another server, let reconnect and find you. Oh, you found me again, I'll disconnect again.

Damn Enaver you have some great weapons! Clan let's camp the barracks and then switch servers together. We need better guns! Alright, our inventories are all full with rocket launchers, now we need tents.

Alright let's head a mile to the West and North outside the map and hide the tent with our ATV. Nobody will find our stash!

Alright, we found a bunch of vehicles and are camping most of their spawns. Let's all fuel them up and fill them with easy to find Jerry Cans so we can drive them to points outside the map only known to us and our personal out of bounds map. Let's grab all the helicopters while we're at it too and hide them the same way.

We're not cheating at all! It's in the game so it's fair game for anyone. No vehicles spawn on the server anymore? Not because of us! It's not our fault that you're too lazy to look outside the map.

edit: Oops I meant to post this on our clan forums. How do I delete!

I cant wait for the flood of baby tears when Rocket finally fixes it.

This.

It's amazing how people on one hand can complain about map size' date=' lack of [u']realism and immersion when trying to set up camp inside the borders, then in the same post go on about how uber - realistic their behaviour is when walking off the map into a giant zone of endless green hills and no vegetation.

It's amazing when people pull "facts" out of their arse. Could you please give me 2 examples of people on here supporting the idea of putting tents outside that have also posted a comment complaining about the lack of realism.

Not only are these people bypassing the core game mechanics behind the mod by hoarding stuff like that in zones that are not ment to be ventured into for a reason, these people are fucking with the respawn mechanics of vehicles as well. The more you stash them away in the weirdest places the less can be tested to find and squash out the bugs. 

Explain to me how venturing out to the wilderness is bypassing "the" core game mechanics?

If they were not meant to be ventured into then you wouldn't be able to do so. I'm quite amazed how many people claim to know what rocket wants/thinks.

I agree... It is merely "gaming the game"' date=' exploiting a loophole in the game system that allows things, not originally intended by devs, to be done. Enaver, I am sorry to say, but eventually this will be fixed in a way or another. Unless of course the devs consider it ok.. which I [b']seriously doubt. So enjoy while you can.

I personally never have (and never will) sent up a tent city outside of the boundaries... however I have no problem with others doing so to store gear.

What I do have a problem with is hoarding vehicles out there.

In my perfect situation it would be fine to go out there, but any vehicle left unmanned (or unmoved) for 10-15 minutes would be destroyed/despawn.

That way you could take a vehicle out there to store gear in (or retrieve gear from) your tent, but you would have to bring the vehicle back within map boundaries before logging out (or going AFK) if you wanted to keep said vehicle.

It's an exploit' date=' and I hope it gets fixed. I actually made a post about this in the suggestions forum earlier today. It isn't fair for a clan to stash all of the vehicles on the map outside of the boundaries a million miles away, where no player can reach it without jogging for hours.

[/quote']

Go back to Hello Kitty carebear.

Welcome to society, where people have opinions that might be different.

If the map had the same system like Minecraft, where it's much bigger than the map one makes, I would call it uncharted territory, give out stories of golden stashes of M101's, etc.

However, since there is a very clear difference between the map and past the map (if I understand right/what I've been told: rendering stops) then it's definitely an exploit. It's not much different than DCing from Zeds and it has very similar justifications: It's gaming the system, it's doing what's outside the norm, and it's a game so it's supposed to be exploited, no matter the immersion breaking.

Explain to me how venturing out to the wilderness is bypassing "the" core game mechanics?

If they were not meant to be ventured into then you wouldn't be able to do so. I'm quite amazed how many people claim to know what rocket wants/thinks.

If you disconnect while being shot at .... that is in the games mechanics

If you duplicate tents while making a tent ... that is in the games mechanics

If you server swap to loot barraks and kill players from behind .... that is in the games mechanics

If you disconnect in a fire fight to swap servers and move then reconnect behind your enemy .... that is in the games mechanics

If you log out to lobby then back in to rearm you SD gun .... that is in the games mechanics

If you place a base/vehicle of the map boundaries .... that is in the games mechanics

Just because .... that is in the games mechanics Does not make it right...

What enaver says sums it up: hiding stuff inside the map is borderline impossible once you get more than one tent up' date=' so players are responding by going literally miles outside of the game world. It goes to show that there's a problem with saving items and vehicles, and simply banning people from using the border regions isn't going to solve it.

[/quote']

Still, solving the issues with tent placement (allowing people to place them without such strict restrictions in woods, hills, lakes, buildings, etc.) does not solve the problem of using land areas beyond the map for the bases. People will be still going to do that because it is considered more safer choice.

my point is more that you can remove the border region, but you'd also have to do something about storing loot and vehicles inland. I think that right now it's not unreasonable to leave the map to hide stuff, but it would be better for everyone if a different solution was found. Obviously just making tents better wouldn't stop people leaving the map, but if you do want to put an end to 'void camps', give players an alternative