Publik

Rocket I love you: Going out of bounds - exploit or acceptable?

or it should remove vehicles that have not entered the game map for x amount of days' date=' which means they probably aren't being used and simply stored indefinitely.

[/quote']

^This.

or it should remove vehicles that have not entered the game map for x amount of days' date=' which means they probably aren't being used and simply stored indefinitely.

[/quote']

^This.

^ That.

The way we counted it on our server is we followed the clans transport to find the base in the abyss, killed the driver and looted the riches.

Ignoring my dopey voice heres the clip.

Like i said anyone can do it.

Of course it's an exploit. The area outside the map is intended to be there so you don't suddenly run into the end of the world. It's not there to be entered or interacted with. It's empty, dead space that's nothing more than scenery for the main map. A tent camp that can't reasonably be found in a completely safe, dead area is completely missing the point of the game.

The only reason why people are for this is because actually hiding tents and vehicles in the actual playable area is too hard. I spent two hours once roaming a single area looking for a place for some tents with a friend.

Eventually we found the perfect spot: wall of bushes and trees on one side, a small hill blocking the view on the other. It was near nothing important, away from roads.. and a day later it got found accidentally by another friend running in a straight line between two distant places. imagine how I feel when I hear on teamspeak "wow I found a tent with three m1014s in it!" "wait, that's your tent."

Tents are too easy to see, and the map isn't big enough for them to stay hidden for long. People will be fine with removing the bullshit of hiding stuff in the 'skybox', if they can reasonably put a tent down somewhere on the map. Maybe add more ways to actually make a tent hard to spot? They're just too obvious

I would not have any problems with hiding stuff outside of the map bondaries if that meant that anyone in the game can still find a fresh broken vehicle inside normal map.

I have never encountered any *natural* vehicles inside normal DayZ's map(I've stolen a repaired motorcycle with an almost empty tank' date='but I think it belonged to someone before).Im starting to think that hiding vehicles outside of the map's borders causes a stop to the spawning of other vehicles.And this is bad.

Maybe number of vehicles on the server should not be limited?Or am I mistaking here and they still spawn and Im just unlucky?

[/quote']

Vehicles don't spawn like ammo and guns. Vehicles are manually placed by the devs on the server via the database or something. Lets say that initially 50 cars and 3 helicopters spawn. If one chopper is killed there wont be a new one until the devs place another one in. So these organized clans that are 20km out in the map with 90% of the vehicles are denying the rest of the playerbase access to a game feature. That's griefing and it shouldn't happen.

There is no excuse for going out of bounds and you cant defend it by saying "just take a chopper an look" because all the choppers that spawned on a few servers are either blown up or parked out there. My clan is organized and we have now 10-12 players and our own server. We have camps within the boundaries and some vehicles and its been safe for a couple of days now. So NO excuses and i hope that they add that script from arma that gives you 30 seconds to get back on the map or your dead (ofc after they fix the limbo bug)

The problem is not that tents are too hard to spot - it's too hard to find a decent spot to place them due to the glitchy/bugged mechanic.

That however is no excuse for going out of the boundaries of the map to set up camps and hide gear and vehicles there. That is in fact an exploit - just like d/cing and serverhopping. Oh wait...

Easy fix for this is not an invisible wall the people run into and stop them, it's the (among ArmA/OFP veterans) well known out of map killzone. This has worked for years now:

As soon as a player crosses the boundaries of the map, he will get 60 seconds to return back inside or he will be automatically killed/the vehicle destroyed. There is no reason to be out there and the boundaries are obvious enough to not cross them accidentially.

If you want to bring up emergent gameplay, why don't you set up a camp with 24/7 guards, sandbags and wirefencing? The tools to let gameplay like that emerge are all in DayZ, and even exploit-free.

Oh yeah, that actually takes effort.

this exploit fixes a problem: Setting up tents is dangerous, because people are likely to find them. Players feel like there's nowhere to hide their stuff knowing it probably won't get stolen. It doesn't feel fair, and people have found a way to deal with it by hiding their shit out of the map

if you simply remove the exploit without changing the way tents work, then you've kept the problem and taken away the only solution. Make tents more usable, harder to find, harder to spot, whatever, just make them a reasonably safe place to put your gear IF you've hidden them well enough

establish a camp? now? with server hopping?

People see a camp, switch server.

enter in the area without any risk

Switch back to server inside the camp in the best strategy position?

Not gonna happen.

The problem is that vehicles "snowball" into attaining more vehicles. Once you have one, it is far easier to find more, and so on. You can cover more area with more vehicles.

And then there are clans that pick a main servers which collect all the vehicles.

And vehicles don't respawn. Which is fucking retarded, imo. When a vehicle is killed, a new one should pop up after a certain amount of time, even if it were a different vehicle in a different spot to replace it.

But also the map is too small for one clan to have all vehicles, it's hard to hide them anywhere but debug. I have two ATVs, a pickup, and a big infantry truck. I find it hard to even hide the two ATVs even though they are TINY. You can't camouflage them like you would be able to IRL. Putting leaves over it, green camo tarps etc.

Hopefully ArmaIII DayZ map will be a lot bigger with more vehicles.

The problem is not that tents are too hard to spot - it's too hard to find a decent spot to place them due to the glitchy/bugged mechanic.

That however is no excuse for going out of the boundaries of the map to set up camps and hide gear and vehicles there. That is in fact an exploit - just like d/cing and serverhopping. Oh wait...

Easy fix for this is not an invisible wall the people run into and stop them' date=' it's the (among ArmA/OFP veterans) well known out of map killzone. This has worked for years now:

As soon as a player crosses the boundaries of the map, he will get 60 seconds to return back inside or he will be automatically killed/the vehicle destroyed. There is no reason to be out there and the boundaries are obvious enough to not cross them accidentially.

If you want to bring up emergent gameplay, why don't you set up a camp with 24/7 guards, sandbags and wirefencing? The tools to let gameplay like that emerge are all in DayZ, and even exploit-free.

Oh yeah, that actually takes effort.

[/quote']

QFE

There is another issue at the root of these behaviour, currently there are people using maphacks that display the location of OBJ's (tents cars choppers tank traps ext) that allow them to see the location of EVERYTHING on the map (aside from players) as a result they will walk directly to any chopper tent or car and steal everything. Since there is no way to hide anything anywhere inside the map people are forced to travel so far away that the people using the hacks cant walk all the way there with out dying.

I think that once a solution of found to this then people will not have reason to go out there in the first place.

Just to re-iterate my point from earlier, this vast empty void of space IS THE EDGE OF THE MAP - whether rocket or his mother or jesus or his mother decide that at any point from now until the end of time that the map will be expanded to include the entire planet and beyond, what you're seeing in that void is the EDGE OF THE FUCKING MAP. By going beyond it and playing there you are EXPLOITING the map boundries - you know that place where everyone else is playing? "If I can then you can..." yeah but not all of us want to be jack asses like you. If there was a giant invisible wall would you be making the same claims? No? Well the wall is implied. It's implied because there's fuck all beyond it to stimulate gameplay. Use your heads. It's an exploit.

With the broken spawn coding, people are still (me having had this 4 times in 2 weeks) spawned up in the NW wilderness. That's about 20km's off the map.

You think I'm just gonna suicide? Hell no I'm gonna run my ass out of there.

Now what's gonna happen to all the other players like me above getting themselves out of trouble (not even talking clans or people storing sh*t off the map) by running back... what if some "fix" is implemented whereby people in this off-map zone are kicked or banned?

this exploit fixes a problem: Setting up tents is dangerous' date=' because people are likely to find them. Players feel like there's nowhere to hide their stuff knowing it probably won't get stolen. It doesn't feel fair, and people have found a way to deal with it by hiding their shit out of the map

if you simply remove the exploit without changing the way tents work, then you've kept the problem and taken away the only solution. Make tents more usable, harder to find, harder to spot, whatever, just make them a reasonably safe place to put your gear IF you've hidden them well enough

[/quote']

Why on earth should people be allowed to stash their stuff safely? What is this? A hoarding competition? I just don't get the point of collecting loot for the sake of it..

Setting up a tent or two for emergency supplier (food+water) seems plausible, but the ridiculous hoarding that people have embarked on should not be encouraged.

However, I do understand that the hoarding relates strongly to the lack of end game content.. As said, you can become completely self-reliant after finding the standard tools (matches, hatchet, knife, couple of water bottles) and naturally the next step, when the "game" becomes too easy, is to start hoarding stuff..

I see I'm going to spend a lot of time on this forum posting the same thing over and over again if I want to get my point across, aren't I

When I say "make it reasonably safe to hide your gear" I'm not saying "make it so people can hide their stuff easily forever". Notice how those two sentences are different? Try reading my fucking post and don't waste more space in this thread

It fudges the gameplay quite a bit' date=' but short of using a true island there's no real way to enforce any restrictions on it.

[/quote']

Simple solution, actually. Place a trigger that kills anything that either enters/exits it after a certain amount of seconds and place it to border the detailed terrain and cue an indicator on screen when it's activated. You can then optionally line the border of the map with Minefield or Radiation signs if you want to give an additional warning sign that players are not intended to progress further but the on screen indicator should be enough and if not their death will get the point across.

It's already available, has been since Operation Flashpoint and takes less then a minute to create.

As to whether it should be allowed? honestly it's rather cheap and has no place in DayZ. For everyone claiming to love the 'thrills', 'difficulty' and 'realism' of DayZ the fact anyone would defend keeping the out of bounds terrain so that they can exploit it for equipment storage/safe base locations is just laughable. 225 square km2, a map larger then anything you'd find in any other game and you still have to exploit the outside of the detailed map? Why cant you just admit that you have a problem with the "Lose everything" death mechanic and/or the completely insecure and unreliable storage system?

Go back to Hello Kitty carebear.

This kind of shit only goes to show how so many spouting "Realism" "Alpha" and "Carebear" are a bunch of dicks that only argue for the aspects they personally enjoy, take advantage of and don't want changed whether it's a cheap ass exploit or not.

Praise the 'Hardcore' aspects of starting with nothing, scavenging for something and dieing and losing it all but then circumvent those mechanics by venturing off the map to set up safe havens far beyond walking distance where you can safely hoard items, vehicles and duplicate supplies so you no longer have to deal with the game mechanics you praise and attack everyone else about when they have a negative opinion to express about them.

Seriously? If you can neither handle the unforgiving landscape of the detailed map and dangers within or the possibility of losing your hard earned equipment like everybody else and have to venture out beyond the borders of the map to try and hide it all I think it's YOU that is the "Carebear".

I see I'm going to spend a lot of time on this forum posting the same thing over and over again if I want to get my point across' date=' aren't I

When I say "make it reasonably safe to hide your gear" I'm not saying "make it so people can hide their stuff easily forever". Notice how those two sentences are different? Try reading my fucking post and don't waste more space in this thread

[/quote']

Listen, I get your point. I just disagree with it. You want to be able to stash stuff around "reasonably safe", whereas I consider it should not be made any easier because it should always be considered to be a high risk to leave your stuff unattended.

Like someone said, if a clan wants to build a tent city and don't want people to steal their precious stuff, why don't they organize 24/7 guarding..

I vote for instant-destroy of any person, vehicle or animal going outside the map for more than 10 seconds.

Just discard all loot saved outside of the map (or even close to the edges) on the database side. Problem solved. :-)

Drain 10 hp per second while outside the main map (radiation ... or something?)

why shouldn't you be able to? there's nothing unrealistic about being able to hide something away in a 225 square kilometer area of mostly wilderness, and it doesn't hurt gameplay either. Loot is infinite, and you can only get to your tent by going all the way to where you've hidden it. There's nothing easy or game-breaking about it.

hiding an entire arsenal under a tree is one thing, but having a small tent hidden away well enough for it to not be found with some basic supplies and gear in it is fine

why shouldn't you be able to? there's nothing unrealistic about being able to hide something away in a 225 square kilometer area of mostly wilderness' date=' and it doesn't hurt gameplay either.

[/quote']

It is OUTSIDE the map. You have 225 square kilometers to hide your loot, yet you have decided that this isn't enough for you. Stop making excuses.

It is an exploit and it will be fixed.

its quite shocking to see the foaming at the mouth about this off map thing, i mean i made my point, i don't really see anything wrong with it, because its not like the ppl going off map are going to a place where you or anyone else can't go, but they are making good of a situation the proper game map is huge, but on a server where ppl are running around aimlessly the probability of someone stumbling upon your cache when your offline is high and the last thing you want to happen. the only true place where you can store stuff without it being immediately discoverable by other players is by hiding it.

its true there isn't much of an end game and hoarding is a means to an end for ppl with nothing else to do.

i'm for some kind of system that checks for vehicles being left idle off the game map for days or weeks to just despawn and repop in the map, but having arbitrary death-borders is stepping on the freedom of the way the game is currently. if you put in borders they get camped.. look at any shooter online currently, a lot of the fighting happens around the edges, battlefield suffers from it because of its open maps all the snipers finding the most awkward place to camp around the edges. wake island for example, how many times do ppl camp that tiny freaking hill behind the bunkers at C because its the furthest to the edge that you can go where noone pays much attention.

mostly it just break immersion, i've walked off the map a couple of times and it took me hours to get back, having 'you are going to die in 10.. 9..8..' pop up would just kill the immersion for me.

why shouldn't you be able to? there's nothing unrealistic about being able to hide something away in a 225 square kilometer area of mostly wilderness' date=' and it doesn't hurt gameplay either.

[/quote']

It is OUTSIDE the map. You have 225 square kilometers to hide your loot, yet you have decided that this isn't enough for you. Stop making excuses.

It is an exploit and it will be fixed.

Oh really? please source that.

i don't do it myself but i find nothing wrong in it, makes for good looting afterall.