reuben5150

Why do you even play dayz ?

This mod is a testing ground for ideas. Rocket is the first to admit that some of these ideas have failed. As far as I know they do have plans for making teamwork more important but the pvp element will always remain. Don't forget also that it wasn't designed to be used on those custom maps so they often skew it even further towards the pvp fest due to their layout. Also, many people are just bored and resort to pvp because they've done everything else to death. The standalone will address this by having far more content and concentrating more on survival.

I agree with you about the balance being off at the moment and I know the devs are aware of it, I guess like many other issues with the mod the answer is to wait for the standalone to see what they come up with. It's not an answer many are happy with but that's just how it is.

Hers's Rockets thoughts on PVP and why DayZ is the way it is: http://dayzmod.com/f...__180#entry4308

sadly im gunna disagree with you here..

based on what ive seen/heard from Rocket and given that from what the community of DayZ has become, i think the SA will be exactly like what we see now..

just on huge deathmatch arena were the very idea of COOP is only for those within clans/groups. if ur alone and play by yourself mostly if not always then i suspect you will always be starting over at every player encounter or reduced to playing on low pop. servers.

its a dam shame this experiment has become what it has, but i dont see any way for it to change unless Rocket ad's some kind of rules to calm the KoS situation down. but i have zero faith he will..

chances are the DayZ SA will fizzle out quickly when players pick it up and realize its no different then the current Mod is. in terms of player encounters.

hope to hell im wrong but i just dont think i am. not on this

Nah, man, if I used the quote function, I'd make this stuff way too easy. Cheers!

Again, player behavour is the problem.

And you're playing the DayZ the only right way, I assume?

Regular, vanilla Arma II just doesn't cut it for the same reasons BF3 doesn't cut it: If you meet a player from the other team, you already know in advance what's going to happen. In DayZ, however, most of the time you do not know his intention, and you then have some decisions to make which makes this game so much more rewarding fun and tense than a straight shooter.

• Like 1

not for those taking the bullet after running around for 30 mins trying to find a fucking tin of coke.

Take a hint, heres a fun shooter for you where you can start with any gear you like (once unlocked) and when you die you can spawn back in the exact same location in 5 seconds, its call Bad company 2, yeah its great, proper ragdoll fx, explosive physics, great vehicle handling, the list of good things is to long.

i reiterate, why do you even play dayz ?

Sure the low TTK and hardcore feel of arma makes shootouts intense, but why do you not just play arma if thats what you want.

Again, player behavour is the problem.

It's fun because I can choose to play however I like, sometimes that includes PvP, other times it's running a taxi service, killing zombies or playing the role of a medic. I like the interaction with other players, including bandits trying to kill me. The game is supposed to be brutal. I like that it's hard to survive and that most players will kill me for my beans if given the chance, this makes me value my characters life and fear death because I invested time gearing up.

Edited by smasht_AU
  • Like 1

well since June people have been complaining about there being no endgame and blah blah blah, and nothing's really been added since then. not to mention all the hacking that tends to discourage people from pursuing long-term goals. and yeah, some people just like to run around Elektro pvp'ing

I'm not really mad about any of it. the mod was meant to be a 'proof of concept' or whatever, not a 'game'. I have faith that the stand-alone will be more complete, but honestly that "faith" isn't based on much empirical evidence...

It's fun because I can choose to play however I like, sometimes that includes PvP, other times it's running a taxi service, killing zombies or playing the role of a medic. I like the interaction with other players, including bandits trying to kill me. The game is supposed to be brutal. I like that it's hard to survive and that most players will kill me for my beans if given the chance, this makes me value my characters life and fear death because I invested time gearing up.

ahh, thats better.

I've never laughed this hard playing a game until DayZ. Some of the ridiculous things that occur during firefights is amazing and no other game can match that really.

Nah, man, if I used the quote function, I'd make this stuff way too easy. Cheers!

And you're playing the DayZ the only right way, I assume?

Regular, vanilla Arma II just doesn't cut it for the same reasons BF3 doesn't cut it: If you meet a player from the other team, you already know in advance what's going to happen. In DayZ, however, most of the time you do not know his intention, and you then have some decisions to make which makes this game so much more rewarding fun and tense than a straight shooter.

No but if you read my original post and understand what i'm saying- the balance is off.

Yes i agree in part, but again the magic seems to be lost, hope we can see those days again soon.

Definetly have some different kind of laughs for all of the fully geared bored players....just start over its alot more fun not having a care and just playing a fun game!

I've never laughed this hard playing a game until DayZ. Some of the ridiculous things that occur during firefights is amazing and no other game can match that really.

But there are much more fun games to do PVP, really, just look at the engine for a start, it feels like a 10 year old game, but thats part of the attraction i guess.

Edited by Mutagen_7B4

But there are much more fun games to do PVP, really, just look at the engine for a start, it feels like a 10 year old game, but thats part of the attraction i guess.

The engine is quite amazing, I love it. It's not the easiest to learn but once you figure it out and get the mechanics down it can be very rewarding visually and how it handles. Yes, it can feel bulky and slow but you're a character full of gear and that should weigh you down some. As for what you said that is all opinionated. I really like the fact I can take sometimes items away after killing them. Not too many games have this feature included, a classic was UO and I played that a ton. It's a hard, unforgiving game and some are after that kind of PvP. Most games nowadays are made to be too easy and that isn't fun for me in the least.

Although PvP is an integral part to the experience, I have to agree with OP - KoS is beyond rampant now. As a perfect example:- I joined a private hive recently. I decided to give it a shot because it was actively admined, the chance of hackers was greatly reduced and it boasted a friendly atmosphere. You were only allowed to PvP in certain towns, airfields and heli crashes; PvP anywhere else would net you warning, then a ban. Right from the get-go, people were offering lifts, trading goods, teaming up to tackle the airfields etc. It got a little boring not having the tension there, but there were PvP areas around if you wanted to seek some action. That all changed recently.

The rules were modified to allow PvP anywhere except a few key cities to allow new spawns to gear and take refuge. Within a week, the once friendly community had turned on itself. No-one offered lifts in side-chat, people avoided contact outside cities, and PK's began joining in droves. A friend managed to save some random's life, but was killed in the process. The random thanked him for the kindness. My friend spawned in only a click or so from his body, so went back to recover his stuff. The guy he'd saved was waiting for him, and took him down with a DMR, looted from the very sniper that my friend had saved him from.

PvP with well-equipped people is one thing - where is the challenge or excitement in killing a fresh spawn? Bandits should have a guilt or remorse system. Could you sleep at night if you killed someone? I'm willing to bet that most PK's out there wouldn't have the stomach for it. This isn't an experiment in the human condition because, just like every other online interaction, anonimity is the veil that shields us from our actions.

After playing Chernarus Apocalypse over the weekend, I think this would really help the KoS situation:-

- Power up the zombies. 3 hits to kill is excessive, but if a swipe from a zombie took away 3000 blood, people would be much more hesitant around them.

- Guns and ammo are way too populous. Stumbling across a couple of bullets for *anything* should be a monumental find.

- If you want better guns, you go to an army base and police station etc. But with great reward comes great risk (crap loads of zombies that are more dangerous, populous, do more damage etc). Also, many hands would make lighter work, promoting teamwork again.

- Gunshots should attract hordes of zombies, regardless of the caliber.

- Zombies should spawn EVERYWHERE (forests, remote locations etc) to making camping and sniping that much more dangerous.

Giving power back to the zombies will balance this game out again.

• Like 1

The engine is quite amazing, I love it. It's not the easiest to learn but once you figure it out and get the mechanics down it can be very rewarding visually and how it handles. Yes, it can feel bulky and slow but you're a character full of gear and that should weigh you down some. As for what you said that is all opinionated. I really like the fact I can take sometimes items away after killing them. Not too many games have this feature included, a classic was UO and I played that a ton. It's a hard, unforgiving game and some are after that kind of PvP. Most games nowadays are made to be too easy and that isn't fun for me in the least.

that's true. the mix of pvp and looting makes it different from other games where you can just pick up their gun. no one's killing someone for beans in CoD. it's also why people are bummed PvP isn't in Diablo 3 (yet)

i like the solitude mixed with the occasional run in with random strangers to either say hi or die to.

I like collecting gear, vehicles and killing zombies.

Once I get to know the regulars on my home server, I hunt the ones that shoot at me or have killed me. If they freshly spawn I especially like killing them. I like to be known as the guy who is an asshole. I like making them want to hunt me, they bring in more friends and do their best to get me and often times they do. Great fun had by all, except whiners. They get killed a couple times and log out and no one is sad to see them leave. Real players love the fight, and the tension between rival groups.

DAYZ, This is your story.

I play to help others. I find joy in helping those in need of assistance. It reflects my real personality. In a game like this you definitely reflect who you are, and who you enjoy you are.

Why do you play as a bandit? Why do you play as a sniper shooting people who spawned two seconds ago? WHy do you play as a medic, risking a bullet in your head from the person after you heal them? Why do you hoard beans? or just ammo?

What use do you have a vehicle? speed? risk being spotted for speed? why use tents? To store things you might have later? Or just to forget its location or it being robbed?

It's all about how you shape the personality you want, because nothing is stopping you. You spawn on a beach with nothing, and you end up with what you want to be. Alive!

Why do you want a helicopter?

For me DAYZ is a game where I can be myself, and no code is stopping me from doing so.

But yes OP has a point, why do it the hard way if you can do it the easy way? There is no real penalty in being a bandit, why? Because only in movies the bad guys lose.

You can be a hero, but it doesn't make you more of a god than a bandit. In reality you are who you are and how you deal with it.

This is just a game. a life means nothing. If this was real, would it be any different? I say yes, but it's a game, there are no consequences.

You die you respawn, the end. :)

I'll reiterate what I've said in other threads. Have you even watched a zombie apocalypse film? Forget that...ANY post-apocalyspe film? Mad Max? Book of Eli? The Road? Walking Dead (it premiers tonight FYI)? The Postman? Revolution?

What is the common theme? It's that the world is full of pyschotic A-holes and it's kill or be killed.

Everyone wants to be Mad Max or Lord Humongus and his clan of bandit assholes. No one wants to be Papagallo and his band of under-armed idiots who get hunted down and killed for their beans.

2 people on a server today and we both happen to be at the barracks at the NW airport. It's night, I'm wearing a ghillie suit and I got my SAW pointed directly at his head. He says "friendly" so I make the stupid mistake and let him go. He grabs an AKM from the baracks and starts a gunfight with me while I'm distracted by some zombies. I get killed for my trouble and end up having to sprint back all the way from Balota to retrieve my AS50 and ALICE pack full of meat and medical supplies this idiot left behind.

Too bad he logged off, because I was looking forward to hunting him.

Edited by bfisher

Why do people just deathmatch around populated areas? simple, People play DayZ and they think the are beasting because they killed like 10 people in the NWAF, They get tat feeling you get when you go 30-0 in a chopper in BF3, only that they don't realize that this isn't battlefield, and that's not the way to play this game, also, right now there's not much left to do in the mod, you can get top tier hacked gear just by sneaking around sniper hill with a makarov, there's no point in doing anything, nobody gives a fuck if they find an AS50 since that's regular loot nowadays, people only get exited by finding a fully repaired, full gas chopper and a mtn dew. That's the pproblem with this mod, Rocket in the standalone, needs to take out a lot of the snipers, just for the sake of realism, and he needs to change it to 1 crash site per server, he needs to make everything rarer, he needs to make players celebrate because they found a can of beans, he needs to make DayZ much more harder.

Edited by IncognitoNico

Really like some of the replies here, makes me want to continue playing, you know, for all it's flaws, I am still hopelessly addicted to this mod, I think that says something.

Well for you folks who seem to know "how" DayZ is supposed to be played... Maybe you are playing it wrong. Just saying, you have equal chance to find everything anyone else does. (minus the cheaters)

So instead of begging for the omnipotent Rocket to fix it maybe you should. Don't like KoS'ers hunt them down and fix it yourself. Yeah I know it's hard, tough you want easy... Guess who is playing it wrong!

We have the tools as a community to combat KoS, just some of us implement them and some want the devs to hold our hands.

So before you blame player behavior, balance, or them playing it wrong. Maybe it's you who is playing it wrong.

Remember this is their story too.

Edited by Pendragon

Back in the day when a bandit skin meant something and the temperature feature worked this was a really great mod.

I have observed player behaviour for a long time now and recently i realised a few things mainly due to playing fallujah and begs the question- why do you even play dayz ?

On a map like fallujah first priority should be finding a vehicle because everything else comes easy after that, gear and loot.

But no, most people choose to run straight to the airfield for a deathmatch where they will die pretty quick, then spend another 20+ minutes running back to do it over again, I guess it's pretty much the same on chernarus except they run to cherno.

At least 80% of this mod is PVP based and IMO that makes it a failure as far as the original concept goes.

I understand why its devolved to this, but don't you think there are much better games for Pvp ?, I do and never played this mod just to shoot people.

I think the best thing Rocket can do for the final mod update would be to fix humanity, because unless the balance changes between bandit/survivor/hero then the mod, for me, will be dead.

Just some thoughts.

I play DayZ to kill people like you. DayZ isn't old enough to be "back in the day" and I've been playing since May. And FYI, bandit skins means nothing, it was a lame addition to the game to let all the Care Bears know who thy were fighting. And there's pvp games all around us, but not as fun as this one. Furthermore, this community gets so pissed off at dying its absolutely hysterical to keep killing them.

• Like 1

agreed this game is majorly flawed and if there is not something done in the stand alone it will be DOA.

I had my 4 day old guy get killed by a sniper yesterday so I figured I would try and do something different. I was spawning around electro so I decided to run into town, find people and hide from them, but direct chat to them," I have no gear, I have no equipment just want to get a few things and be on my way"said many times" I dont care about pvp" every single time I got shot .

It's amazing how everyone I ever meet when I have a gun and they don't are "friendly" and yet every time I meet someone who does have a gun they try and kill me right away. It seems most people just want to run to "the" spot on the map and pvp it and for a "sandbox" game where you can do "whatever you want" it seems very limited in what people actually do.

The Mod is dead as it is - the engine isn't right for the vision but I'm hoping the SA fixes all of this so we'll see soon I hope.

Furthermore, this community gets so pissed off at dying its absolutely hysterical to keep killing them.

Did your mother ever warn you about taking pleasure in the misfortune of others, i guess not.

So before you blame player behavior, balance, or them playing it wrong. Maybe it's you who is playing it wrong.

I think i've already explained this, but certain people can't seem to absorb it.

Back in the day when a bandit skin meant something and the temperature feature worked this was a really great mod.

I have observed player behaviour for a long time now and recently i realised a few things mainly due to playing fallujah and begs the question- why do you even play dayz ?

On a map like fallujah first priority should be finding a vehicle because everything else comes easy after that, gear and loot.

But no, most people choose to run straight to the airfield for a deathmatch where they will die pretty quick, then spend another 20+ minutes running back to do it over again, I guess it's pretty much the same on chernarus except they run to cherno.

At least 80% of this mod is PVP based and IMO that makes it a failure as far as the original concept goes.

I understand why its devolved to this, but don't you think there are much better games for Pvp ?, I do and never played this mod just to shoot people.

I think the best thing Rocket can do for the final mod update would be to fix humanity, because unless the balance changes between bandit/survivor/hero then the mod, for me, will be dead.

Just some thoughts.

first off, ive started playing survivedayz a mod of this mod, where u hardly get any hackers and the as50 m107 and l85 are out of there. so are nvg's and rangefinders. (also there is more zombies; of which spawn when you are further away, street lights, and some new weapons and magazines)

secondly, i play dayz and usually kill other people because 1. it happens to me all the time 2. its fun and 3. it still is very different with the loot you get off other players

also it is much more fun to play this with friends and once the stand alone has fixed problems like hacking duping and gitching other dynamics have been added (like non gay zombies), it will even more fun.

the maps of arma 2 is unsurpassed in terms of scale and realism, and i think the just character models should be simplified and some of the hyper realistic factors of arma 2 should be taking out because they are just tiring to play with as a entertainment game, let alone miltary 'training'.