Sign in to follow this  
Biosharkz

Well, i got impatient.

Instead of waiting for standalone, purchased on Steam. Any tips while it downloads and installs?

• Like 1

Get ready to punch ur moniter,kick, scream, pull hair, rage, cry, then do it all over again!! Ohhh tips, yeah ummm dont go to the big citys!! (unless ur feeling fearless =P ) Dont break ur legs on door, Best place to hide from zombies is bushes and run into a house.( they cant run in houses, unless ur on a different map). hmm someone else will tell you the other stuff. Ok and watch out for the hackers/scripeter becasue they are here.

Edited by Mastabuds

I've been researching immensely. Watched all of FrankieonPCin1080p's videos. I'm looking for someone to team up with tho.

• Like 1

I've been researching immensely. Watched all of FrankieonPCin1080p's videos. I'm looking for someone to team up with tho.

Deja vu! That is pretty much how i got started. Watched all of Frankie's vids and debated waiting... that lasted for like 2 days and then I jumped right in. Welcome to the game!

Did you get the 2 DLC's? British somethingorother and Private Military Dudes or whatever its called? They will ensure top quality textures on various models including your character.

Also, get DayZ Commander. Use that to update the Arma game to it's beta, and to DL the latest version of DayZ... it sets everything up for you, and is great for finding servers and launching the game.

Keep a web map open (here and here), which shows the various spawnpoints for vehicles and items etc, and also keep the wiki handy for questions you might have on which weapons are better, which ammo goes with what, and what locations spawn what kind of stuff.

• Like 1

Thanks Klesh! I've seen your posts here and there on the forum. Maybe I'll see you in game.

I won't shoot you if you don't shoot me! :thumbsup:

Another word of advice is to stick to some low population servers for the first night. It'll reduce your chances of being hackerkilled and leetsniped by some jerkbag on a hill while you're running around figuring things out. Also, don't freak out when zombo's come at you. You can avoid them for the most part if you keep moving and don't get boxed in, whilst remaining chill.

There are lots of topics full of great tips but one I always post is don't let some bad experiences ruin this game for you or give a bad impression right away. Take the time to learn it.

• Like 1

How are you making out?

My game is still installing atm :P My steam asked me to relog in and OA reset to 20%

Ouch!

Oh, another thing. You have to run each, Arma2 and OA once before you do DayZ Commander. Just firing them up to the main menu is enough, but you'll prolly want to set up your playername at least in OA before you get going.

I recommend you jump right into it.

Before long you've have learned all the mechianics, so don't cheat yourself of the experience of being completely confused and terrified.

• Like 1

The first few days where you have no idea what's going on are the best TBH. I'd advise not doing a shitload of research and using online maps and stuff to start off with. You're basically bypassing the fun part of the game and skipping to the repetitive grind in doing that...

• Like 1

Completely agree with the above.

Don't get sucked into the advantages that are outside of the game. The little things in this game is what makes it so compelling - ie, finding a map for example!

Tip from a newb. Start on low population servers untill you have learned how things work. You should also try out the boot camp on ARMA 2 before jumping into DAyZ

• Like 1

Pro-tip - Avoid public servers, find a good private one with good admins, it'll save you a lot of heartache.

I would second the private server idea. After getting killed (only while fully geared no less) along with the rest of the server by hackers, I can assure you that you want to avoid that.

Don't OD on too many videos.

Just jump in (after running the Arma 2 infantry boot camp) and absorb it.

Shooting will get you out of the frying pan but into the fire.

If you find a hatchet: you need to 1) remove it from tool belt, 2) mouse wheel to select it as the active weapon (if you already have a pistol), and 3) reload it.

Go into the gallery section and look around at different player styles, this will help you know the areas and also player methodology. scour hese forums using search if you come across any problems in game.

Welcome to the game, not many brave like you to purchase the Mod so soon not many would purchase it with the SA coming out soon, I admire the lack of patience, it will get you into many fun situations in DayZ.