rocket

Kronzky's SP "hack" removed (his words)

So I make the thread, and the people who made all the other threads, don't come in here. Instead, people come in here and say "hey, what is this thread about".

Honestly, at this point, I just started pissing myself laughing at the complete absurdity of it all :)

EDIT: To confirm, I'm not being sarcastic, and I'm not making out its not important. I'm just saying its kind of crazy.

People love to complain. Everybody knows that, but once an "official" word is said, they hide. Always the case.

So I make the thread' date=' and the people who made all the other threads, don't come in here. Instead, people come in here and say "hey, what is this thread about".

Honestly, at this point, I just started pissing myself laughing at the complete absurdity of it all :)

[/quote']

This is when you shake and hit them with wooden sticks.

It can be serious, its internet rumors. Thanks to some misconception spread by group of stupidf fuking angry fucktards on reddit that use their downvotes as main argument, rocket now has to stress over some bullshit instead of polishing and working on patches. in any case it shouldn't even get out on reddit in the first place.

just deleted my +50K karma account of reddit as sign of support 4 rocket :)

[attachment=866]

So I make the thread' date=' and the people who made all the other threads, don't come in here. Instead, people come in here and say "hey, what is this thread about".

EDIT: To confirm, I'm not being sarcastic, and I'm not making out its not important. I'm just saying its kind of crazy.

[/quote']

big elephant becomes an annoying fly again.

good to read you laugh again.

Reading a little about IP's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellectual_property

What I believe that other people are talking about is, if you make a MOD in Arma....is that then your intellectual property?

I wasn't trying to talk out of my ass Rocket. But the way it was explained to me at one point was, the modding tools are released by Arma...so anything you make with those tools is owned by Bohemia.

But I know that you work for BI....so yes no one knows what you own and what you don't own.

So I apologize for talking out of my ass in the other thread.

That being said, yes, EULA's and IP's have nothing to do with this. You had a gentlemen's agreement with this guy...he broke that agreement...you pulled the plug...

Then members of the community called you a tyrant....accused you of killing the mod....said "You can't do that....I didn't sign a EULA...I didn't do this or that...so you can't stop me from running the SP on my server...."

And now we're here.

Hopefully that catches some people up to the shit going down here.

I really don't think this is the time or place for an Intellectual Property discussion. Like, an internet forum is the last place you want to do that.

The only people who should care about that, is me, the guys who worked with me on the mod, and Bohemia Interactive. For anyone else - its not really relevant.

[/quote']

Are you referring to me?

I made a suggestion, however you had already done it. (Created this thread) So I didn't really feel the need to comment.

The whole discussion about EULAs and so on only came up, because none of us really know what we're allowed to do and what's better left untouched.

I'm going to be honest with you right now:

As a matter of fact i am hosting a DayZ server. Not hive connected, but utilizing a local database that i made all by myself.

I did that, because all the rules that can be found on the forum only address requirements for official servers. There is no explicit word on not being allowed to host a server on your own and even the required files are publicly available. I did not crack or reverse engineer anything. All files are unaltered and in their original state.

So i went ahead and created the server to have a place for me and my friends to play, without having to go though the hour long pain of finding a non glitching, desyncing, slow server. It is even public so that every other player gets the benefit and I inform them in the MOTD about it not being an official server.

Now to the point:

I'll be willingly taking it offline if you tell me to do so. Just one word, and away it goes. If this happens everyone else will know that private non-hive servers are not welcome.

I really don't think this is the time or place for an Intellectual Property discussion. Like' date=' an internet forum is the last place you want to do that.

The only people who should care about that, is me, the guys who worked with me on the mod, and Bohemia Interactive. For anyone else - its not really relevant.

[/quote']

No I agree. What I'm trying to explain was why I said what I said.

Like I said before, I had no idea about any of this shit until I read the other thread.

Working with the ACE guys, one of them explained to me that they could never sell the ACE mod because the modding tools are owned by BI. That's why a lot of guys are pissy that the SP mod got shut down...because they think YOU can't do that.

Explaining the mindset a little...I guess.

What I believe that other people are talking about is' date=' if you make a MOD in Arma....is that then your intellectual property? [/quote']

Even if it doesn't qualify as "IP" he holds a copyright. That's implicit. You don't have to apply for or even label something as such. Any creation sufficiently differentiated from other original works, including derivatives, is automatically protected.

rocket authored the MOD. The content is his property unless he expressly grants it to someone else.

How noobish. Have not you learned anything from your own mod?

Its like getting into a Day Z server and expect survivors to be friendly.

Anyways, the truth is you should not trust anyone and certainly not

right now when the mod just exploded. Everyone wants a piece of the cake.

Rocket i understand you being irritated and burdened by this. it was fucking extra workload you had to deal with and i would be just as pissed if it was my hard work. Your making something (art) that some people dont understand or dont want to understand then tries to rationalize/change it since they feel they have the right to it.

you did the right thing.

another thing i wanted to mention is that you said you spent a large amount of time checking forums post etc. if you focus on the negative posts then its gonna effect you and your work.

• Like 1

What I believe that other people are talking about is' date=' if you make a MOD in Arma....is that then your intellectual property? [/quote']

Even if it doesn't qualify as "IP" he holds a copyright. That's implicit. You don't have to apply for or even label something as such. Any creation sufficiently differentiated from other original works, including derivatives, is automatically protected.

rocket authored the MOD. The content is his property unless he expressly grants it to someone else.

Yeah, that makes sense.

Plus, he works for BI...so one could say that DayZ is owned by BI anyway....I don't know. That's me talking out of my ass again.

Like Rocket said, we don't have all the facts.

As a matter of fact i am hosting a DayZ server. Not hive connected' date=' but utilizing a local database that i made all by myself.

[/quote']

You seem like a smart guy, why don't you figure it out.

Have you read my posts on WHY private servers are no good? You realize that the database changes on a daily basis? What are you going to do every time it changes?

No, private servers aren't allowed. But what am I going to do? Sue you? Get my crack-hot team of lawyers and go on Judge Judy? Call the FBI? Hold an internet trial?

Yes, maybe we need to do all that EULA stuff. We have a draft hosting agreement. But I really think some of you don't appreciate quite how busy things are. Literally, it is 1:30am and I am still at work. Yesterday, I was here till 4:30. Tonic has it even worse. We've got a hacking war going on, I'm trying to upgrade everything. We have our server team constantly quitting because people keep crushing the spirit out of them. I couldn't give a crap about EULA's and lawyers.

So ask yourself, do you think you are really helping the project? Branching it right now? Is that what this needs? Why did you even do it? To make things better for a few people? This is a techdemo/proof of concept to, oh I don't know, do something really really special.

Think about it. Think about what is going on here.

EDIT: And I don't work for BI, I was CONTRACTED on ArmA3.

I think its a sad situation that we're in these days. The more popular and well known something is, the more people actively seek out opportunities to rage about its creators. Any excuse for a good lynch mob.

I didn't know anything about the SP mod, or even that it existed for that matter. Even if i had known about it i'd have not cared much as DayZ is a multiplayer oriented mod.

Its funny that people have such a sense of entitlement. People seem to honestly believe that anything they find on the internet is theirs, and its creators should bend over backwards to suit their needs. What they don't realise is that if you wanted to take DayZ down and discontinue development, you are completely entitled to do so. Though we'd all prefer if you didnt!

Any problem between yourself and another person should ideally be kept that way, as its none of our damn business. As soon as it hits the public eye it gets twisted and bent out of shape and before you know it people are doing their best to ruin your image despite not knowing the full facts.

You're doing something innovative. Thats always going to carry its own dangers and i think you're getting a lot of ill deserved grief.You've said you haven't been paid a dime for what you're doing, and i believe you fucking well should have been.

Apologies for the ramble marathon. I guess i'm pretty passionate about these things. It pisses me off when i see small-time developers getting shit for something that they're not getting paid for. I do sometimes have to think hard about why you even bother.. Bleh.

Chin up. Theres more people rooting for you than against ;)

How noobish. Have not you learned anything from your own mod?

Its like getting into a Day Z server and expect survivors to be friendly.

Anyways' date=' the truth is you should not trust anyone and certainly not

right now when the mod just exploded. Everyone wants a piece of the cake.

[/quote']

Worst post I've seen in a long time.

I don't understand how you're relating in-game to what happened out-of-game and blaming dean for it. How childish.

First time I read this, didn't even notice post were allowed.

Despite it, all I have to say is:

I like this mod, really.

If two guys have a problem, the two guys should solve it alone. I don't care what is going to happen.

I just like this mod and want to play it in it's full version.

Everything else is not of my business.

As a matter of fact i am hosting a DayZ server. Not hive connected' date=' but utilizing a local database that i made all by myself.

[/quote']

You seem like a smart guy, why don't you figure it out.

Have you read my posts on WHY private servers are no good? You realize that the database changes on a daily basis? What are you going to do every time it changes?

No, private servers aren't allowed.

Yes, maybe we need to do all that EULA stuff. We have a draft hosting agreement. But I really think some of you don't appreciate quite how busy things are. Literally, it is 1:30am and I am still at work. Yesterday, I was here till 4:30. Tonic has it even worse. We've got a hacking war going on, I'm trying to upgrade everything. We have our server team constantly quitting because people keep crushing the spirit out of them.

So ask yourself, do you think you are really helping the project? Branching it right now? Is that what this needs? Why did you even do it? To make things better for a few people? This is a techdemo/proof of concept to, oh I don't know, do something really really special.

Think about it. Think about what is going on here.

EDIT: And I don't work for BI, I was CONTRACTED on ArmA3.

Point taken.

Plus, everyone I know thinks you work for BI...confusing times.

No' date=' private servers aren't allowed.

...[/quote']

I am deleting everything as we speak.

Rocket I really think you need to look into getting everyone to sign/agree to SOMETHING.

Perhaps similar to what people have to do when participating in closed beta's. ie: Here's the Beta/Alpha/whatever. Talk about it here, but no where else. Modify the underlying code and I will fuck you up!

Rocket I really think you need to look into getting everyone to sign/agree to SOMETHING.

Perhaps similar to what people have to do when participating in closed beta's. ie: Here's the Beta/Alpha/whatever. Talk about it here' date=' but no where else. Modify the underlying code and I will fuck you up!

[/quote']

/signed

I think this will eliminate 99.9% of the bullshit.