Sign in to follow this  
infinitegrim

ALT-F4 or just plain DC'ing....cheating?

Is it cheating, as in server wide ban?

And is there an official rules thread around here somewhere?

It is a exploit that is being fixed soon. Cheating, maybe not so much, but it is in very poor taste, avoid it if possible and enjoy the thrill of the gunfight, win or lose.

It is a exploit that is being fixed soon. Cheating' date=' maybe not so much, but it is in very poor taste, avoid it if possible and enjoy the thrill of the gunfight, win or lose.

[/quote']

But then I might lose my precious gear.:dodgy:

It is a exploit that is being fixed soon. Cheating' date=' maybe not so much, but it is in very poor taste, avoid it if possible and enjoy the thrill of the gunfight, win or lose.

[/quote']

Right now I have a AK kobra, a silenced m4 and a Coyote pack, it's gonna suck hard when I get hit, but the fresh spawn also has it's excitement lol, you'll explore places you normally wouldn't when on a fresh spawn...not that i'm looking forward to it yet!

I ask because I have been in several gunfights and never DC'd, but one in particular I DC'd. Why?

First it appeared that the group shooting at us was server hopping to get behind our sniper.

Second I killed a guy in the ATC of the NE airfield and I went to bandage myself but then 2+ guys started shooting at me so I had three options. Bandage and get shot and killed, bleed out, or DC. So guess what I DC'd. I already had a fair 1v1 with a guy and won, I didn't feel liking letting the others kill me because I had to expose myself to bandage.

I posted the video on youtube and I've got a guy messaging me saying how I'm such a cheater and that he is reporting me.

Last time I was heavily geared up I lost everything because I tried hopping over a sandbag wall and broke my legs, of course the zeds heard me and ate me alive.

The only real time I find disconnecting acceptable is if you are fighting a haxor, or one of those groups that D/C then rejoins behind you. Other than than I consider D/Cing a "cheat"

It is considered an exploit by the dev and will hopefully be made ineffective with future updates. A 5 second timeout where your body is staying on the server after disconnecting is planned for the next patch.

However, you just cannot "forbid" people to stop playing a videogame. That would simply be retarded. Theres always a chance that someone who disconnects has a RL reason which is none of your business. You cannot blame somebody for stopping to play.

If someone can get an advantage just by leaving, then there is simply something wrong with the game design that needs to be addessed. Until then you just have to deal with it.

Last time I was heavily geared up I lost everything because I tried hopping over a sandbag wall and broke my legs' date=' of course the zeds heard me and ate me alive.

[/quote']

A door in Balota Airfield devoured me, and I had just found an MP5SD6... XD I shot one zed with it too

I ask because I have been in several gunfights and never DC'd

Oh?

So guess what I DC'd. I already had a fair 1v1 with a guy and won' date=' I didn't feel liking letting the others kill me because I had to expose myself to bandage.

[/quote']

Liar liar, your dick is on fire.

[/quote']

Right now I have a AK kobra, a silenced m4 and a Coyote pack, it's gonna suck hard when I get hit, but the fresh spawn also has it's excitement lol, you'll explore places you normally wouldn't when on a fresh spawn...not that i'm looking forward to it yet!

Yeah I was joking because people value their gear WAY TOO MUCH.

How about running indoors to slow down zombies? Exploit/cheat? One case I think everyone is guilty of :)

How about running indoors to slow down zombies? Exploit/cheat? One case I think everyone is guilty of :)

Or climbing a ladder for that matter. Yes I know they can go up some ladders but I've gotten away from zeds before going on top of a building, eventually they fuck off.

I ask because I have been in several gunfights and never DC'd' date=' but one in particular I DC'd. Why?

First it appeared that the group shooting at us was server hopping to get behind our sniper.

Second I killed a guy in the ATC of the NE airfield and I went to bandage myself but then 2+ guys started shooting at me so I had three options. Bandage and get shot and killed, bleed out, or DC. So guess what I DC'd. I already had a fair 1v1 with a guy and won, I didn't feel liking letting the others kill me because I had to expose myself to bandage.

I posted the video on youtube and I've got a guy messaging me saying how I'm such a cheater and that he is reporting me.

[/quote']

I would personally define what you did as cheating. Yes, maybe you cheated a cheater, but you cheated. Others may call it unethical, poor sportsmanship, or whatever, but the facts are you faced death and used what is essentially a game bug to avoid it. The honorable thing to do would be to kill yourself (your character that is, not your actual self ;P) and start again from the coast. At that point you can go back to loot your corpse if you really want but since the players that would've killed you probably would've done so you should really just start completely from scratch.

Otherwise, you'll spend the rest of your time with this character knowing you cheated. Also, if you don't correct your mistake now, you'll be far more likely to convince yourself you're facing cheaters in your next firefight and just do it again.

Even if the zombies didn't walk slowly inside buildings I'd still run into one when being chased. You want a choke point where you can sit there and pop them in the head as they come through the door. If you try to fight zombies in the open you'll get surrounded and hit from all sides.

It's not the same as hitting alt-f4 when you think your losing a firefight.

------

The only time i've ever dc'ed to avoid combat was when I logged in and heard someone opening a can of soda right next to me, I didn't want to use my spawning in beside him to my advantage.

People play this game as if its COD or BF, as if its something to win, and the highest score is the best player. What they don't realise is, in a game like DayZ, you are playing in order to die. Its supposed to be a realistic simulation of what you would do and how you would act in the given situation, and the most meaningful part of each life is the way in which you die.

Its essentially a warriors death, and every time you disconnect you increase the chance of dying to some bug instead.

I ask because I have been in several gunfights and never DC'd' date=' but one in particular I DC'd. Why?

First it appeared that the group shooting at us was server hopping to get behind our sniper. [/quote']

Alright, fair enough.

Bad form. Exposing yourself to bandaging is no excuse to DC. Take the risk or try to escape or take out the guys before you bleed out.

DC'ing to save yourself?

It is cheating, regardless of the scenario.

It is denying an unfortunate chain of events that just unfolded, as crappy as it is, it is still cheating because you 'should' of died but by using the clients mechanics you rip yourself out of that situation and away from danger.

May as well just type IDDQD to turn on God Mode and be done with it, it is death avoidance and no different.. except in god mode you might still be able to shoot..

DC'ing to join another server to relocate to a 'better' position?

That is teleporting, it is exploiting a mechanic designed to allow people to carry their characters across to other servers to make it easier to not only play with friends/groups when the servers max out but also to create an element of persistence.

There is not devices that allow this type of action, thus it is an exploit.

Running inside a building with a train of zombies 'could' also be called 'cheating' or 'exploiting the AI' because of the unfortunate AI when the zombie gets inside.

It is not as serious as the other issues above, because generally it does not impact directly on other players, unless someone knows their is another person inside the building and just wants to bring a horde in to swamp them.

From what i also read, it is unlikely this behavior will change as its a hard coded AI thing.

I do also agree with statements above from others who say, positioning your self to bottleneck your enemy is a logical strategy and a viable action in such a situation.

My 2c

[/quote']

I would personally define what you did as cheating. Yes, maybe you cheated a cheater, but you cheated. Others may call it unethical, poor sportsmanship, or whatever, but the facts are you faced death and used what is essentially a game bug to avoid it. The honorable thing to do would be to kill yourself (your character that is, not your actual self ;P) and start again from the coast. At that point you can go back to loot your corpse if you really want but since the players that would've killed you probably would've done so you should really just start completely from scratch.

Otherwise, you'll spend the rest of your time with this character knowing you cheated. Also, if you don't correct your mistake now, you'll be far more likely to convince yourself you're facing cheaters in your next firefight and just do it again.

As for killing myself, dont worry. The next day I logged in under a pine tree and the tree instantly killed me somehow.

It's always funny to me to see bandits complaining about people DCing. These are the same people who constantly complained because "a player shouldn't be punished for playing the way they want to" and "Might makes right" Apparently Might makes right, until it's something they don't like, then it's cheating and should be banned. Hypocrisy makes for a stinky cologne.

It's always funny to me to see bandits complaining about people DCing. These are the same people who constantly complained because "a player shouldn't be punished for playing the way they want to" and "Might makes right" Apparently Might makes right' date=' until it's something they don't like, then it's cheating and should be banned. Hypocrisy makes for a stinky cologne.

[/quote']

I'm no bandit but LOL WTF? How is disconnecting "might"? I mean, it's not like the bandit just got pwned or anything, they were cheated out of a kill by a coward using an exploit.

It's funny that you think murdering people in-game is just as bad as d/c'ing during combat. One is intended, the other isn't, can you not understand that?

I'm no bandit but LOL WTF? How is disconnecting "might"? I mean' date=' it's not like the bandit just got pwned or anything, they were cheated out of a kill by a coward using an exploit.

It's funny that you think murdering people in-game is just as bad as d/c'ing during combat. One is intended, the other isn't, can you not understand that?

[/quote']

Oh, sorry, "Might makes right" is just terminology that means "If I have some advantage that lets me do something and get away with it I shouldn't be punished for it." Usually it applies to having greater numbers, greater armaments, or more resources. In a nutshell: "If I've got 3 people and you're by yourself, then I can do whatever I want to you because you can't stop me, because might makes right," The "might" in this situation is the ability to instantly disappear from game as long as you haven't been damaged by a player yet, everyone's got it, some people are using it and others are complaining that they do.

The opposition is "Right makes Might", succinctly, your adherence to a doctrine/ruleset is what allows you to do what you want without being punished.

I know it's cliche, but games like deathmatch, team deathmatch, that's where kills count. In this game kills mean just as much as days survived, mtn dews collected, and number of choppers you can jump over in your dirtbike, there is no set goal, so your goals mean about as much to me as my goals mean to you. Essentially, if I don't care about the kills you have why should I care about the kills you got "cheated out of"? PVPers complaining about the kills they "should have gotten" are no different than people complaining about the life they "should have lived" if they'd known the person who killed them was a bandit.

One is intended' date=' the other isn't, can you not understand that?

[/quote']

-snip-

That was a lot of words for a simple no.