Sign in to follow this  
sostronk

Tips for fighting in the bush

Seriously Im up over 100 kills without death. All of my firefights have been in the bush between 50m-500m. It seems like nobody knows how to fight in the bush. When you come upon someone, if you have been running for a while take cover. If you stop and fire right away your going to be lucky to get one hit on them because heavy breathing really messes up your aim, then your going to be in a bad position. I find trees to be the best in most cases, well because they are everywhere. When you take cover behind a tree do not lay down. Ive had a couple of guys get in cover behind a tree and lay down. The last guy I killed did this and his legs were off to the side so despite not being able to hit his head/torso he went down just as easily. Also had a few roll because they didn't know lean when you are prone is roll and you roll right out into the open (lol).

As soon as you get in cover poke with lean, sometimes they take cover and then try to get in close and flank you straight away, if they do this finish them then. If they are smart enough to take cover and use suppressing fire then be sure to stay in cover until suppressive fire comes down. Dont always poke on the same side of the tree and vary between standing and kneeling as it becomes predictable and they can be waiting for you to re-poke in the same spot.

Try not to use the pine trees with the large branches as cover. They cause you more problems than they cause your opponent. The bullets can still penetrate and you lose visibility. I only use these trees to block their visibility whilst changing position.

The idea is not to panic. They can't kill you if they can't hit you. Most players shit a brick at this stage. They aren't used to players putting up a fight. Then they make a mistake and die. You can pretty much sit behind that tree forever. I have five steaks, three water bottles and 7 cans of coke.

Terrain is another good one but its not as common. Whenever Im moving through the bush Im always looking for the best option if I run into someone. Trees are just alot easier and I find them 100% effective. Terrain can be flanked a bit easier, which sounds strange, but trees you can just move a bit to one side and you have completely adjusted to any flanking movement you couldn't stop. You can't do that with a hill.

The last guy I fought came after me whilst I was leaving NWAF. He was smart enough to take cover behind a tree and made the mistake of laying down. Easily loot off a guy I didn't even want to fight. But he did better than most I come across. Just that one mistake of laying down. His legs were covered when I poked the left side of my tree but when I poked the right side I could just see the end of his legs. As it stands, laying down is just bad in most circumstances because the grass can stop bullets in their tracks. It can work in your favor, but its random luck. In this game you need clean kills because it can take time for damage to register.

Anyways just some info on how I fight in the forest I think some people will find useful.

• Like 8

When I take cover behind a tree I usually wonder if the other person can hit my legs, I now know. Thanks for that one.

Thanks for this zombie charlie sheen, i will now use these tactics.

Some good common sense advice Sos! The "don't panic" bit is very important. I still find myself in panic mode from time to time (usually when i don't know where the shooter is) and have to remind myself to breath. (Deeply and with control)

All good tips.

I believe the technical term for using the terrain is to take a "defilade" position. The advantage is your are standing and still mobile, but the angle of the terain blocks all but your head and weapon from the enemy. The disadvantage is that it doesn't block your head.

Honestly though, I've had very few close quarter firefights like you described. Usually I get killed by someone I never saw from 100m away.

One tip I've found successful is personally is don't be too stationary or static, especially if you're not 100% on where the guy is. Sure, cover is awesome when you can get it, but don't underestimate the power of mobility. I've killed so many people who make the mistake of proning or crouching at the wrong moments and simply running out of their line of sight and around them for a easy kill.

Yep. Situational Awareness. If you are attacked first and do not know where the firing is coming from , try and pin point it by 'looking' towards the sounds. If you cannot work out where they are don't be static for too long, look for an escape route that offers some cover as you run, take a risk and run to another tree then wait a few seconds and recheck. Sometimes busting cover gives away your position but if you are taking fire thay already know where you are. You can wait them out as most people are not patient and will bust before you, but there is nothing worse than sitting still and having no idea where they are..if you can nail down their position that is half the battle.

I have managed to escape several firefight deaths by running through the clumped fir trees then getting behind another decent sized tree and waiting. Even had a guy run past me and popped in the back.

Good advice op. Don't panic. Don't prone behind trees. Scout your next position before moving.

I have an even more ingenious idea: stay out of the bush! There's nothing that I will ever need in there. Just saying.

(snickers) I love the bush everything i need is in there! Just saying.

as a sniper I spend most of my time in the bush and prone, however when I start to move either relocating after a kill or moving location I wont go prone again until I have reached my destination.

A few things to add to this, and I will also stress DONT PANIC!!..

When moving, always move from one cover point to another, if your in the forrest and have open woodland to your left and a massive rock to your right, move to the rock and pause a second, look for your next cover point and move to it, then again pause for a second.

I have earned so many kills simply by taking my time through the bush, most people are very impatient and will just run full speed through the tree's in a straight line to their destination, the pause you take at each cover point gives you a second yo regain your breath and allows you a second to listen out for any other players or hazards.

I find the biggest problem with people losing their shit, and the reason they panic so often and prone to early is that their sound is not good enough and they really cant tell what direction fire is coming from, I find that the closer a player is when shooting at you it's often even harder to tell because the gunshots are so loud anyway, what I do is run like a crazy to cover and then try and watch for impacts, its often a their bullet impacts on a tree, or wall that can give their position away, although this can and often is very hard to do or remember to do when the shit hits the fan.

Another thing to watch for is a water source, pond, sea, if I am traveling near water I will always be in the shallows, a three step dive and your under water and the water stops all bullets dead in their tracks, I had a player get close to me I dove in and took cover , he saw this and ran upto me from 2 meters he shot, when he realized his bullets were not hitting me he moved back, the second I saw his character make the throw animation I stood up and single shot him in the head, I then promptly ran like hell as the nade went bang at my back.

A lot of this stuff is very situational, you might not always be near water, or a wall, or tree's close enough to cover behind, but it will happen, and the more you practice this the better you will get.

When Playing with others, never let them push you into moving faster, its often a big mistake as a clan or group to let your guard down and just charge through the woods , you think with more eye's your safer , in fact your more visible and more of a target and when more than one person is involved its so easy to confuse the sound of gunfire from a friend with an enemy, so stick to your breath,listen,move,cover pattern and you will live a lot longer.

Finally , and players will never admit this, but it helps to have a bit of luck, in fact a lot of luck, a lot of encounters come down to simply spotting some one first and getting that crucial first hit, when your the first one to fire its the other guy that will lose his shit, so luck helps a lot.