Snablas

Making DayZ harder (less bandits?)

What is with the weird fixation this community seems to have on fecal matter??

Have you seen this poll?

How old is the DayZ fanbase? [POLL, please put in your age!]

If making survival more difficult created even more need for banditry, it would still be a good thing because they're killing others out of necessity because they need to survive.

It will certainly reduce pointless KoS with no intention to loot, and personally, I believe it will make players show their true colours.

Yes! I don't have any problem with players choosing to murder each other, but if you want to play the role of lone psychopath killing everything that moves, or lone saint for that matter, your path through the game should be authentically hard.

Have you seen this poll?

How old is the DayZ fanbase? [POLL, please put in your age!]

Yes! I don't have any problem with players choosing to murder each other, but if you want to play the role of lone psychopath killing everything that moves, or lone saint for that matter, your path through the game should be authentically hard.

That's not really how good vs bad should work in games. It's pretty widely accepted its easy to be a bad guy, but hard to be a good guy.

Like it or not I'm a player killing another player.

How is that not player vs player?

Semantically you are correct, bravo.

Maybe I should have said that is called being a dick and just left out the the PvP part. Although the spirit of PvP is player versus player where both players would have the ability to hurt each other (hence the versus part implying that they both are able to engage in combat), instead this is a dick versus a guy who has no way to defend himself. I just hate when people who snipe newspawns call themselves bandits or claim they are participating in PvP, the correct name for this activity is douchebaggery not banditry.

Edit: Not really trying to insult you in general just pointing out that most of us would consider what you are talking about a subsection of PvP and most of us would not label that section with a flattering term. In team deathmatch spawn campers are regarded as scumbags even though technically they are playing the game within the rules, same concept here you might not be cheating but you are being an asshole for no gain whatsoever.

Edited by Zombie Jesus

I can't even begin to imagine what array of fantastic diseases await us in the future.

Gotta catch 'em all

Std's.

Didn't read lol. too much letter. But make DayZ harder is 100% good idea. Make zombies 45k of blood, 3k damage, buff speed x3. Make players 4.5 k of blood. Make best military loot AKM(aks)/M16(m4)/M24/G17, remove every other military guns. Make food & other weapons rare = hardcore mod.

Edited by Citizen X

That's not really how good vs bad should work in games. It's pretty widely accepted its easy to be a bad guy, but hard to be a good guy.

I, atleast, am not satisfied with the difficulty in killing other players. I do, occasionly, play the bad guy and when I do a single kill can sustain me for almost a whole life. PVP in this game is too easy. Surviving is too easy. I think increasing the players need of supplies will make both harder. People who find good gear will be more afraid of losing it, and that can only be a good thing.

Edited by Snablas

Didn't read lol. too much letter. But make DayZ harder is 100% good idea. Make zombies 45k of blood, 3k damage, buff speed x3. Make players 4.5 k of blood. Make best military loot AKM(aks)/M16(m4)/M24/G17, remove every other military guns. Make food & other weapons rare = hardcore mod.

TL;DR is bad for the brain. Anyway, I do think stealth should be more important. But I still think zombies should be quite slow. The numbers is the way to go.

Caves would be a really good addition. Going to need somewhere to keep all the bears and wolves!

I wonder if they'll give us a touch of rabies in the standalone.

The only time my character got sick was from a random chance hit from a Zed, and I just so happened to have antibiotics in my kit, so it didn't pose a threat in the least.

I can't even begin to imagine what array of fantastic diseases await us in the future.

Gotta catch 'em all

Caves would be good. The military or towns people or hunters could have left small loot spawns there. The caves could contain wolves or bears. I remember being a new player. Running through the countryside, happening upon the towns/cities. It would be good if the countryside was treacherous too!

That's because it IS easy to be a bad guy, and easier still if you're with a posse of other bad guys.

You couldn't possibly argue that making the choice to NOT kill every person I see on sight is easy. Especially since 4 out of 5 think killing for fun is the entire point. But most of the time I'm not alone, and we watch out for eachother.

The fact is, doing anything alone should be possible, but seriously difficult. While adding more to your team makes it easier, but adds more pressure on resources.

EDIT: And popping an unarmed survivor because you still have "1 bullet left", is a terrible excuse, for a bitch move. Whether it's a hypothetical situation or not.

Edited by Chabowski
  • Like 1

I think as well as this we just need more end game content.

That's not the answer, in fact we need less end game content, in a real zombie apocalypse you wouldn't be able to find military loot so easily, the military would take it to fight zombies, maybe the left a handgun or a shotgun or even an ak (it's russia people, we need russian weapons, the military bases in russia does not have m4s and m16s) in the barracks on in the storage area in the base, but it wouldn't be too common, and it wouldn't be in a perfect state, and it would be even harder to find a sinper rifle in good conditions and it would be even harder to find ammo, maybe you would be able to find some ak ammo since there's some civilian versions of the rifle that use the same type of ammo, we need like maybe 3 end game rifles, and one end game shotgun, and they have to be as rare as a rocket launcher on an AS50, maybe the common thing in the military bases would be some civilian/hunting type shotguns and rifles. We need weapon degradation, you wouldn't be able to use the same m4 for 10 years in a apocalypse, you would need to clean it ans maintain it, we need to have more regular items and more junk to make the important regular items like food and drinks rarer, make people dance and scream like if they found the holy grail if they found a can of beans. Right now if you have a camp, you empty for backpack, take 2 or 3 mags with and you go in to cherno/elektro/stary empty and you go out with another weapon and you backpack full of beans. That can't be right.... Make the loot respawn every 4 hours instead of each hour, make the good loot rarer, you should need to find mags to use the bullets you have, find empty mags and then find bullets to fill it up with, make people have the need to work as a team. Take out NVGs or make them have batteries that would depleet and need to be recharged in a power generator. That would be the answer

PVP in this game is too easy. Surviving is too easy.

That's because this is not a survival games, this is a military game, what dayz mod does is basically add zombie bots to ArmA and take out a few weapons

Edited by IncognitoNico
  • Like 1

I don't understand how killing an unarmed player is any more of a dick move than killing someone with hours invested into their character.

Do you put value into people's "lives" based on gear? Time invested? Skill level?

It's ok to pop a fresh spawn if he finds a body with gear right away? What about if he's been playing for 3 hours and hasn't found a gun?

Is it a dick move to kill him if he doesn't have a weapon?

Is it a dick move that rocket took away weapons on spawn on purpose?

Is it a dick move that zombies kill you without a weapon?

If I see another player I'm not going to ask "hey, have you has ample time to arm yourself" before I kill him.

The fact is, doing anything alone should be possible, but seriously difficult. While adding more to your team makes it easier, but adds more pressure on resources.

Exactly, players should not expect to be some love child of Jeremiah Johnson and Rambo who can go anywhere and achieve anything within a few hours unaided.

I play solo almost exclusively and looting Cherno during daylight should be almost certain death rather than a brisk jog with only a couple of shots fired.

• Like 1

That's because this is not a survival games, this is a military game, what dayz mod does is basically add zombie bots to ArmA and take out a few weapons

Of course. I think what is really unique in DayZ is the "needs", the needs to eat and drink and apply antibiotics. I think that killing other players make surviving too easy. Attacking another player should really make you think: Is this player valuable to me? Is his loot? Is attacking him a danger to me? Have I got enough bullets for a prolonged firefight? Right now, a lee enfield is a bit of a "click to win" button. Especially out of town.

Do you put value into people's "lives" based on gear? Time invested? Skill level?

No I don't have to quantify the value of someones life, because I'm not a sociopath.

Fact is, the guy doesn't pose a threat, you don't have to kill him.

Now I know you will, still neither of us know why.

I don't understand how killing an unarmed player is any more of a dick move than killing someone with hours invested into their character.

It's ok to pop a fresh spawn if he finds a body with gear right away? What about if he's been playing for 3 hours and hasn't found a gun?

Is it a dick move to kill him if he doesn't have a weapon?

Is it a dick move that rocket took away weapons on spawn on purpose?

Is it a dick move that zombies kill you without a weapon?

If I see another player I'm not going to ask "hey, have you has ample time to arm yourself" before I kill him.

You might not see why it is a dick move but it is, have just a small bit of honor while playing this game it is not really asking that much that you wait until someone at least has a pistol to murder them. No it was not a dick move to take out the makarov since it is a terrible weapon in the first place and zombies are incapable of pulling dick moves since they lack the ability to think. Dying is part of the game so the guy who rages when he dies (regardless of when it happens) is being a baby. Pointless player kills are just a fact of life in Dayz and it depends on your playstyle whether or not you will think that hard about whether killing a player is beneficial or fun, but the idiot murdering new spawns pretending he is awesome at this game is just a douchebag.

But then again douchebags gonna douchebag, so carry on.

No I don't have to quantify the value of someones life, because I'm not a sociopath.

Fact is, the guy doesn't pose a threat, you don't have to kill him.

Now I know you will, still neither of us know why.

I feel like you may need to separate yourself from the game if you viewing killing someone in game a psychiatric disorder.

You might not see why it is a dick move but it is, have just a small bit of honor while playing this game it is not really asking that much that you wait until someone at least has a pistol to murder them. No it was not a dick move to take out the makarov since it is a terrible weapon in the first place and zombies are incapable of pulling dick moves since they lack the ability to think. Dying is part of the game so the guy who rages when he dies (regardless of when it happens) is being a baby. Pointless player kills are just a fact of life in Dayz and it depends on your playstyle whether or not you will think that hard about whether killing a player is beneficial or fun, but the idiot murdering new spawns pretending he is awesome at this game is just a douchebag.

But then again douchebags gonna douchebag, so carry on.

What makes someone killing a player a douchebag when it's completely intended and rewarded for doing so?

Honor is very subjective.

You point to the Makarov specifically and while it was the weapon that we spawned with, I said all weapons.

You said zombies can't think, but what's the difference between a zombie killing someone and another player?

I don't understand why people killing newly spawned or unarmed players have to be idiots or douchebags or stereotyped as thinking they're awesome.

It's a way the game was intended and people are playing it that way. Be mad at rocket for making spawners defenseless, don't be mad at me for it.

I made a post about wilderness survival because I'm definitely a Bear Grylls xD And all this stuff is completely complimentary to my ideas. :beans:

I've thought about the bandit issue like this:

tl;dr: if banditry is a problem it's something that needs to be dealt with as a game mechanic. Making the game "more difficult" won't stop the mentality because the mentality will exist regardless of the environment.

It's not the game. People liked to see DayZ as this big social experiment thing and then put on their faux-high brow caps and monocle and proclaim "It's what would happen for real!" Well, whether that's true or not it has nothing to do with a realistic simulation of social dynamics in a lawless environment.

If any of you play FPS regularly, especially on the PC, you may have found yourself sitting around waiting for a game to start (via a warmup round or something else). You may have been on a server where people were doing "melee only" rounds, or to be more broad, you may have been the perpitrator or victim of team killing. Team killing is something that happens a lot, and it has nothing to do with "realistic" situations or scenarios. In the warm up round scenario it's usually players who have weapons and can use them, but the objectives are locked down. In a competitive setting you might kill other players to establish dominance on a map, but when the game is just going to reset in a couple of minutes people kill others out of boredom, because they want to do something. In the melee only setting you eventually find people who will shoot other players because they don't want to play alone (it's almost always obvious that everyone else is using melee weapons only and they feel the need to just ignore that fact). The same can be said for DayZ. Killing other players happens not out of strategy, but boredom, "dickhole syndrome" or some other reason that does not stem from need or game mechanics. If you've become a bandit it's almost never out of necessity.

My point is that this sort of lawlessness, the senseless killing happens in all video games, it's just that in other games, eventually, the game calls for it or is moderated. In DayZ neither is true and there's no way around it. If banditry is a true problem, if it is truely detrimental to the experience (and, in my opinion, the way in which we see it happening in DayZ, it's quite a problem) then it needs to be dealt with at the game mechanic level. It's difficult to simulate realism on one side of things if the natural balance from the other side cannot also be simulated (namely the human quality, the visceral detail of a real world environment, human senses, etc)

Edited by -AoXo-

It's a way the game was intended and people are playing it that way. Be mad at rocket for making spawners defenseless, don't be mad at me for it.

Grow up dude,

If you paid the slightest bit of attention you would know that immersion is the intention of DayZ. But maybe you just can't understand that.

Yes, it's a game. But it's a game people invest a lot of time in, and then get griefed by people like you.

I feel like you may need to separate yourself from the game if you viewing killing someone in game a psychiatric disorder.

I believe the way you choose to play, is a waste of time. The problem is, it's not just your time you're wasting.

Causing any player to have to sit through more loading screens and start from scratch, simply because you can, is a dick move.

And your CoD kiddy attitude IS a major sign of sociopathy. And I'm not just saying that, it's a simple fact.

EDIT: Whether in an internet forum, or in an online game, being "internet anonymous" allows you to behave and act however you like.

But have you ever wondered
why
you like to act that way?
Edited by Chabowski

Yeah increased difficulty could improve this KoS thing I think. I had mentioned it in a suggestion for improving the damage/health system. Rather than repeat everything: http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/95543-mutilation-hit-detectionlong-term-damage-tougher-zombies-gas-tank-shots/

I definitely agree with your ideas that everywhere should have dangers, pretty sure the dev's will put this in the game.

Grow up dude,

If you paid the slightest bit of attention you would know that immersion is the intention of DayZ. But maybe you just can't understand that.

Yes, it's a game. But it's a game people invest a lot of time in, and then get griefed by people like you.

You haven't invested alot of time into the game as a fresh spawn. Also, once your good at the game, you won't get killed as a fresh spawn.

I believe the way you choose to play, is a waste of time. The problem is, it's not just your time you're wasting.

Causing any player to have to sit through more loading screens and start from scratch, simply because you can, is a dick move.

And your CoD kiddy attitude IS a major sign of sociopathy. And I'm not just saying that, it's a simple fact.

EDIT: Whether in an internet forum, or in an online game, being "internet anonymous" allows you to behave and act however you like.

But have you ever wondered
why
you like to act that way?

wow harden the fuck up and quit crying. Its a game. Get good at, get used to being owned by players that are better than you or leave.

Harder is a word that has a decent amount of ambivalence attatched to it.

I`d endorse complexity, more depth, more things to do, but not just making the game "harder".