Sign in to follow this  
phronk

4 Questions for Rocket/DayZ developers

Supposedly Rocket checks out the threads on this forum from time to time, so hopefully he'll see these handful of brief questions and provide answers soon. :]

1. It has been a while since we've seen another handy-dandy patch for DayZ. Can we expect one to come around during or before Halloween maybe?

2. And additionally, I'm quite interested in seeing something from DayZ standalone! A screenshot for us all, maybe?

3. I read that you guys will be using the "ArmA 2.5" engine for DayZ, instead of the ArmA 3 engine. What's holding you guys back from utilizing the ArmA 3 engine?

4. I've come to accept that hacking is and always will be a huge issue with the mod, so instead of focusing on brainstorming an idea how to prevent it for the DayZ mod, how about... redoing the zombie A.I. and choppiness? :D (redoing the zombie A.I. for the mod, not just for the standalone)

Much love in advance,

~ Phronq the Tonk

Edited by Phronq

4 topics everywhere summed up in 1..

• Like 1

I'm no dev, but I can answer 3 and 4 already.

3. It will be ArmA 3's engine, but with all the things that aren't needed, weeded out. Also, the standalone won't start out with a finished engine, infact far from it. It won't be to much different to the one we have now, but it will get closer to ArmA 3 in time.

4. Hacking is an issue with the mod, and only the mod. It will be completely different in the standalone with no scripting. Zombies are going to be completely re-written.

I didn't go and ask rocket myself, just read the Eurogamer interviews he did

I had a feeling this community would assume these questions were answered, but I assure you, they were not. I've googled, watched interviews, and even the recent Euro stage presentation of DayZ thing, and I still don't think these questions were addressed directly with a solid-enough answer. They've only been answered with partial responses like 'maybe.'

And if they are answered and I somehow overlooked it, it helps to support your argument that they are answered by actually linking evidence that it is. Otherwise, I'll just assume you're trolling or an idiot. ;)

1. It has been a while since we've seen another handy-dandy patch for DayZ.

ANSWER: They have had 2 key players doing game art taken to jail in greece. Rocket after Eurogamer has jumped in to do his bit and standalone is the priority to have a launch, not the patch as some of the problems cannot be fixed with the current engine as a mod.

2. And additionally, I'm quite interested in seeing something from DayZ standalone! A screenshot for us all, maybe?

ANSWER: He spoke at Eurogamer about maybe showing off some shots, Google the interview and Q&A for further and more accurate answers.

3. I read that you guys will be using the "ArmA 2.5" engine for DayZ, instead of the ArmA 3 engine. What's holding you guys back from utilizing the ArmA 3 engine?

ANSWER: At the Eurogamer dev talk he explained this. Its the same reason why you get intense FPS lag. It is because just like the ARMA 3 engine, DayZ doesn't require all the finer details that ARMA does. These come in layers, bones, skins, models etc.

They are taking elements from the ENTIRE ARMA range and putting them into a modified engine. The Devs made this engine and now how to reap the rewards from it.

They removed tiny things from zombie models and the FPS boosted. They changed the zombie AI from solider AI Zig Zags to avoid being shot, just as you would.

All these things are the reason why 3.0 isn't being used and a 2.5 engine is.

Less is more in this case.

4. I've come to accept that hacking is and always will be a huge issue with the mod, so instead of focusing on brainstorming an idea how to prevent it for the DayZ mod, how about... redoing the zombie A.I. and choppiness? :D

ANSWER: I answered this above regarding the zombie and choppiness.

The hacking or as dean laughs at "Hecking" is because the ARMA engine allows itself to be modded. Thats why its so easy to do so. Now that all the hackers have shown how they have hacked they have logged how they are doing this. They are locking it down so no scripts can be run, and with battleye finally getting on the money update wise this won't be a problem. Their are rumours it will be accompanied by maybe VAC on steam.

These are as good as I could remember, to the other people who just say these have been answered and give no direction. You are the type of lazy people who waste forum space.

Doesn't take long to type a couple of sentences.

Edited by pvtjace

The 'dog' patch will not be released until it is ready. Rockets words on this forum. 1st sep.

Regarding patch 1.7.3, I'm not going to make the mistake of releasing a patch before it is ready. 1.7.3 just isnt ready yet.

I assume that he is not going to fuck around with the zed ai anymore as standalone is not too far away, why spoil the surprise and why waste time on it now when the standalone will be Alpha anyway ?

Screenshot ? We all are waiting for that. Muchly.

Edit : see above as well :)

I had a feeling this community would assume these questions were answered, but I assure you, they were not. I've googled, watched interviews, and even the recent Euro stage presentation of DayZ thing, and I still don't think these questions were addressed directly with a solid-enough answer. They've only been answered with partial responses like 'maybe.'

And if they are answered and I somehow overlooked it, it helps to support your argument that they are answered by actually linking evidence that it is. Otherwise, I'll just assume you're trolling or an idiot. ;)

Question 1 isn't even a question, you just flat out state there's been no updates.

Question 2, I don't think dean has forgotten he's trying to sell a game. We'll get a screenshot when he wants to give us one

Question 3, it will be the base ArmA 3 engine, with things taken out to make it fit for dayz

Question 4 Rocket has stated so many times now that zombies will be re-written, it's incredible you're so terrible at googling.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-09-27-dayz-standalone-release-this-year-says-dean-hall

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/95784-eurogamer-dayz-developer-presentation-article/#entry901790

I guess one thing I should have clarified about the hacking portion was that I was talking about the DayZ mod, not the game. I don't think he has the power or authority over ArmA 2 or the anti-cheat program they're using (since DayZ is sort of powered by both) to actually implement any of his own reliable changes to prevent hacking in DayZ. What I meant was, instead of beating around the bush with DayZ Mod and not getting anywhere with preventing hacking for the mod ('Tis the harsh reality of DayZ Mod I guess) he should, instead, work on releasing a patch or hotfix that fixes zombie A.I.

Appreciate the community's assistance with answering these questions, but I'd still prefer a response from a developer of the mod. It's just more... official. :P

PS: Ah shit, must've zoned out on #1. Changed it to an actual question lol

[EDIT]

Marked question #3 answered; didn't realize 2.5 meant 3.0 with a couple stuff not in it. As long as the game's graphics are more modern and perform well, I'm a happy guy!

Edited by Phronq

All more information comes from the Eurogamer Dev talk & Q&A you dont need a dev to waste time repeating stuff that iv quoted from dean saying at the talk.

Thats the whole point of the forum community. Its not a portal to devs. Devs make games.

Supposedly Rocket checks out the threads on this forum from time to time, so hopefully he'll see these handful of brief questions and provide answers soon. :]

1. It has been a while since we've seen another handy-dandy patch for DayZ. Can we expect one to come around during or before Halloween maybe?

Patch 1.7.3 will be out when it's ready. No sooner, most likely later. It will come around the time they release the standalone, so this or the next month.

No 'official' screenshots as of yet as far as I know. But it'll look a lot like the same as DayZ currently does.

I'll answer this too, because I'm not sure what answer you accepted for it.

Rocket has said in a recent interview that the standalone DayZ will use a REFINED ARMA 2 ENGINE, not ARMA 3's engine. Why? Because they can't be dealt with with a whole new engine. BUT. It will still be very much locked down, like your standard multiplayer game, so there will be no way of using scripts, and it will most likely not be as buggy/glitchy as ARMA 2. So it'll still be ARMA 2.5, but more literally this time.

4. I've come to accept that hacking is and always will be a huge issue with the mod, so instead of focusing on brainstorming an idea how to prevent it for the DayZ mod, how about... redoing the zombie A.I. and choppiness? :D (redoing the zombie A.I. for the mod, not just for the standalone)

Wait for 1.7.3, after that, we'll see what Rocket decides to focus on. Though he has said that he will continue supporting both, the mod that's open for the modding community, and the standalone as a real game.

Much love in advance, You're welcome.

~ Phronq the Tonk

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man
  • Like 1

I guess one thing I should have clarified about the hacking portion was that I was talking about the DayZ mod, not the game. I don't think he has the power or authority over ArmA 2 or the anti-cheat program they're using (since DayZ is sort of powered by both) to actually implement any of his own reliable changes to prevent hacking in DayZ. What I meant was, instead of beating around the bush with DayZ Mod and not getting anywhere with preventing hacking for the mod ('Tis the harsh reality of DayZ Mod I guess) he should, instead, work on releasing a patch or hotfix that fixes zombie A.I.

Appreciate the community's assistance with answering these questions, but I'd still prefer a response from a developer of the mod. It's just more... official. :P

PS: Ah shit, must've zoned out on #1. Changed it to an actual question lol

[EDIT]

Marked question #3 answered; didn't realize 2.5 meant 3.0 with a couple stuff not in it. As long as the game's graphics are more modern and perform well, I'm a happy guy!

A mod knows nothing more than we do, they are community members that ban and keep the peace here.

And no offense, but your thread isn't worthy of a response from rocket. We've answered every one of your questions. It's not like they're even good ones.

Go download Take On Helicopters = That is what it will be like =)

I'm surprised how many people think the sa engine will be base arma3.

I can see a zombie mod for Arma 3 becoming competitive with the sa at some point, unless the sa evolves to A3 pretty quickly.

I can see a zombie mod for Arma 3 becoming competitive with the sa at some point, unless the sa evolves to A3 pretty quickly.

I don't think so. Mod is still a mod and will have the same problems it has know maybe less hacking.