Sign in to follow this  
bahhh

cans of beans should turn in to an empty tin can

When you eat a can of beans, it should turn into a empty tin can.

This would be much more realistic and tin cans could be more frequently used by players, since they have it in their back packs.

This goes same for the sodas.

The problem is that you would just dump your empty cans everywhere... I don't think the engine would we happy about that.

Yeah, this is how it worked initially. But it increased lag. Looked at having them just appear locally, but then we realized that would be confusing.

The problem is that you would just dump your empty cans everywhere... I don't think the engine would we happy about that.

I don't really know how hard it would be for the engine' date=' but dumping empty cans would add a new moment, where u would guess that someone was here.

Prehaps we can remove trash as a loot?

Then the engine wouldn't be that angry at us lol

[hr']

Yeah' date=' this is how it worked initially. But it increased lag. Looked at having them just appear locally, but then we realized that would be confusing.

[/quote']

Oh...i see.. that's too bad. :(

What if the chance of normal empty cans was reduced (or 0%), and the server cleaned up player-spanwed cans after a day or so?

yes, because that can be a huge indication of "shit, there was a guy here less than one hour"

(if the can stay on the server for 1 hour per example)

You can remove all other fake can in loot table.

Finding cans lying about was incredibly spooky. I really hope you will consider making this happen again, Rocket.

Even if it disappears very shortly after it is dropped.

I'd much rather see nothing spawning in barns than seeing a bunch of randomly spawned empty cans. This is one of these things that can connect you to other players without even seeing or hearing them, which is a pretty huge deal about what makes this mod great.

A suspiciously slim loot pile, a dead zombie, a door that is usually open now closed etc.

While I like your "heartbeats means bandit" idea, it is these little things that induce the genuine physical response that nail this thing down as something special.

Free-roaming is part of the success, obviously. But dealing with real, sentient, beings that could both potentially end you or save you is really why this mod is something special imho.

I absolutely TOTALLY agree about the little things making a big difference. But this does have a big impact on performance. I will conduct some more tests once performance and netcode improvements have been confirmed as working in 1.7.1

Yeah, I am aware that you are probably jumping through a lot of hoops behind the curtains, to make everything run as stable as it does now. Just out of curiosity, is it even possible to make player-dropped items despawn at different rates?

I hope I didnt come across as self-entitled in my previous post, it was just very cool to stumble across signs of life.