DZR_Mikhail

Infected children in DayZ. Poll.

1. 1. How do you like the idea of adding zombie-children to DayZ?

• I'm against this (I have children)
    • I'm against this (I have no children)
    • I'm indifferent (I have children)
    • I'm indifferent (I have no children)
    • I would like to see it in DayZ (I have children)
    • I would like to see it in DayZ (I have no children)
  2. 2. How adding zombie-children will influence DayZ and it's core concepts?

• DayZ will be much improved. This will help to understand survival better and make right decisions. DayZ will get better and more useful.
    • This will change nothing. Just useless work.
    • The core concepts of DayZ will be jeopardized and it will be a most controversial feature. DayZ reputation will be put at risk.

Recently Rocket expressed an idea of introducing infected (zombie) children to DayZ.

What is your opinion on this idea? Please, vote up.

6z603.png

Russian users who want to vote can find identical closed for technical issues poll with translated options in the Russian section or look at the screen with the translation below.

Русские пользователи, которые хотят проголосовать могут найти перевод вопросов в уже закрытом из-за неисправностей опросе в русской ветке или просто посмотрите перевод на скрине ниже.

PJoEX.png

Edited by -=PA=-Mikhail
  • Like 6

i would like zombie children in dayz but i dont think it would be allowed

While I believe this would add to the "realism" of the game, I think it would become kind of disturbing. Might be just me though.

i dont think it would be disturbing........................and female zombies should be added too

The issue is one of PEGI rating. ARMA already has quite a high PEGI rating due to it being a Military Sim. Dayz as a mod would be running of the the core of the ARMA PEGI.

For me I have kids and would find it not to odd. The other issue is what will it bring as killing children is not what people have signed up to do, what game mechanic will it serve?

If shooting a Zed reduces humanity and shooting a child Zed reduces more then ok, maybe. But too me a Zed be it Adult, child, animal, vegetable is still a Zed and not a living person. That goes out the window since they chomp on other living people.

• Like 3

It's hard to make a comment about this poll despite standing firmly on one side of it.

While it would make the game more realistic, and possibly more scary, non-inclusion wouldn't make me mad.

I mean hell, would anyone here say that taking the children out of Fallout would make it better, or that making them killable would make it worse?

I mean hell, would anyone here say that taking the children out of Fallout would make it better, or that making them killable would make it worse?

Skyrim's killable children mod did indeed improve my gameing experience...

• Like 3

This is a hard choice to make, honestly.

First off, I have no kids, I'm only 22 to begin with, and don't even have anyone that important in my life. But I have a kid brother, and.. well it definitely says something that Rocket is suggesting this. I don't mean that as it's a bad, or inhumane, idea. I actually rather like the realism it would provide. Children would have been more susceptible to the virus than older folks with stronger immune systems, and would likely have been among the first age groups to be most heavily impacted. It makes sense, and it would likewise make sense that they're still around as infected along with the other zeds.

There is an incredible amount of negative backlash that could be generated from this though. I mean, shooting infected children isn't something you see in every zombie game for a reason. I agree with the posts above, that it doesn't serve much more than adding to the realism.

But admittedly, we play this game because of the atmosphere, because it feels sort of like what would happen if the zombie apocalypse did hit us. There would be children infected, and they would likely try to bite our throats out.

So I vote yes. But perhaps there could be a way to turn them off, show them as children on one player's version, and the little hopper things on another player's.

In modern warfare 2 there is the infamous airport scene. You could kill civilians, and while there weren't any children that I saw, it still was a rather interesting concept.

My two bits, take them as you will.

• Like 5

Skyrim's killable children mod did indeed improve my gameing experience...

At this point, I think the PEGI/ESRB ratings issue would be the biggest crux, but then again I know 5-year-olds who love GTA IV :P

I'm starting to think I'm into hardcore realism.

I am living in Germany. Germany is infamous for its very strict youth protection laws, especially regarding display of violence in games and films. In Germany, games and films receive an age rating, similar to the PEGI rating. But if they are especially violent they may be refused the rating. Media that does not receive an age rating is considered restricted in Germany. You may still buy such media, if your are at least 18, but public display of such media is prohibited. So you are not allowed to advertise such media, display it in shelves or report on it in magazines, etc. Basically you commit commercial suicide if you do not get an age rating in Germany. For that reason most companies release special low-violence versions of their games in Germany.

I am pretty sure a game that allowed you to shoot children - even zombified ones - would not get an age rating in Germany.

Edited by dev0

I just voted yes, but after talking with some co-workers who play DayZ I would like to change my opinion. It would be a very controversial feature; no one can deny that. I think it will draw focus away from what makes this game good and the negative effects of this out-way the good. I'm also thinking of the potential for this game to be banned in most countries.

• Like 1

The "commercial suicide" arguments are null in my mind, only due to the fact that Rocket is (seemingly) not too concerned about the money from retail sales.

More Realism, Not Against this. Altho.... Female Zombies also needed ^^

Oh and Female needs a Gillie/Camo :P but thats another story.

I also think it would cause some decent WTF Moments..."Huh I'm being hit?" "OH SHIT, It's eating my Knee Caps!!!"

Edited by Xuse

It is merely Pixel on a Screen, nothing more.

Why always people thinking about morality?

Bring it in. It is unlogical that only adult zombies running around!

Don't add children, add women.

Add women and we will later have children :D We know how to make children :lol:

• Like 1

It would add to the "horror" and suspenseful side of the game, although it unfortunately would increase the rating, possibly dramatically and even make it impossible to buy the standalone in Australia, where we don't have an 18+ rating :(

Anybody who thinks its disturbing needs to sort themselfs out. So their fine with blowing somebodys head off, or getting ripped to pieces by zombies but zombie kids is a no no get real. Bring on the babies! and females while your at it :thumbsup:

• Like 1

WARNING! NEXT POST IS FULL OF MORALITY :) READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

I would like you to consider the moral side of this issue. Another thing is that depiction of violence towards the underaged is way much serious issue than same for women and elderly.

Killing a zombie-child in DayZ will still be killing a child. Yes, it will kill you if you don't kill it, the choice seems obvious, but why adding this choice? Can you give an example of any real life situation when you could have faced such choice? This is a morally exaggerated unrealistic situation. What can it teach you, how can this improve you overall survival experience? Rocket said that people play DayZ and think about what thay do. He is responsible for what the game bring us and what it gives and adds to our personal knowledge etc. What knowledge is given in this case? That an ugly, infected, agressive child which is running towards you screaming is dangerous and deserves a headshot...

Just remember, that in real life many children can act EXACTLY like this, can look scary... But this kid can be just ill, injured, scared and run in your direction in desperate need for help. Don't try to convince me that I cant tell game from reality. I'm telling you that there is a huge moral underlayer in this case that acts subconciously and will have a heavy impact on infants who will definitely play DayZ all over the world, because rating systems and other security measure s are not working. You know what I mean. They just don't work and everyone will play DayZ.

Another thing I want you to think about. Murder is always a murder, it is dark and inhuman and immoral, blah blah blah... But murdering a child, even infected, is a much more darker and immoral crime, it's a deeply dark taboo matter, which must be hidden, concealed in any way possible... NOT underlined and placed in a game to draw attention. Half of this attention will be legal, another half will be from mentally damaged people who like violence. And at most 1% of attention will be from the ones who voted "I'd like to see it in game" just to make it a bit more scary.

Try to predict deep moral concequence of this idea. Try to guess what exactly will be the function of this, what precicely will be the message to the world from DayZ? And most important: HOW THIS MAKES WORLD BETTER?

Are you ready to pay this prcie, to risk something bright in this world, to take this responsibility and later when **it hits the fan frankly answer "Yeah! No matter what! This was worth it! Brick were shat! Whatever the price. I DayZ scared me better."

Edited by -=PA=-Mikhail
  • Like 2

I'm of the general opinion above. Most of my comments regarding suggestions on how to improve DayZ heavily favour focusing on the realism and atmosphere of the world. Adding children would definately make the world more realistic and their small size (and often better fitness and physical condition) could present other challenges and variables to consider when tackling a Z heavy situation.

It will DEFINATELY attract attention from the usual anti-gaming parties. Common sense based arguments are usually pointless against such groups.

All in all, I'm for it. I'm for female zombies aswell... I believe in equal rights.

When you put it that way, I'm honestly hard pressed to form a cohesive argument to debate it. No, I don't want this to become a 'selling point' or a listed 'feature' of DayZ, or an avenue for which players can be blocked from this unique experience due to rating systems, and morality issues.

Honestly, now that I take a look at it beyond my opinion, is risking DayZ's playability or reputation justified by that small realistic effect that children infected will add?

No, I think not.

No, why, its a subtle and ethical question, not only will this add almost anything to the game, most people i play with have kids, and they wont like this, this can be the reason we will leave if this is implemented, but perhaps it could change gameplay. Since its going to be only an aestheticc change, i am totally against!!!!! I might even leave, no kids should be harmed, and if you do this, where are you going to stop? Children as optionable skin? NO, this is a very hard ethical and moral question, lets not even go into this, its too tiring and we do not want to portray the image of child killers.

• Like 1

Who would honestly not like to see zombie kids in cause they own kids?

It's a game.... lmfao

My opinions and overall world percepction hevily changed from "don't care bring me more blood and guts" to big concern in violence in games and media since my son was born. Now that I see how children learn and see this world, I'm convinced that people with and without children judge reality differently in such a context.

I personally quit DayZ without hesitation if this feature is implemented. Without regret, but a bright memory of better DayZ before this. I won't exchange my moral principles for some "more scarier and realistic gameplay, wow, yeah, bring it on"...

Consider me the part of this moralist crwod who try to make games less violent. Yeah. That one crazy guy waving a poster "No violence" at BIS office entrance. By the way BIS clearly expressed they view on adding children to arma: "No". So DayZ may be gets this answer too. But nothing official appeared on this matter. So here am I drawing attention to this question, which I take very personally.

Edited by -=PA=-Mikhail