Sign in to follow this  
zinny50

Server Hopping: Good or bad?

Firstly let me point out that I love the server hop feature, it's probably one of the best aspects of the game in my opinion. It's great being able to play different servers and not worrying about losing the gear I worked so hard to earn. As much as I like this handy feature I encountered one major flaw with it.

My friends and I were bunkered down in the schoolhouse in Elektro. We had all the entrances blocked with tank traps and barbed wire with one man guarding each exit. A large group of bandits saw us from outside and opened fire on us so we returned fire. This shoot out went on for a few minutes when suddenly the enemy fire stopped. We stood our ground in the schoolhouse thinking it was a trap for five or so minutes when suddenly the entire group had teleported inside the room I was in. We were taken by surprise and they destroyed us. I found out later that these bandits logged out of this server and logged back into a less populated one. They then entered the schoolhouse without a problem and logged back into the server my friends and I were on.

Just wondering, is there any plan in future updates to fix this problem. I was thinking that maybe if you server hop you're spawned back to the nearest spawn point with all your gear in tact. It might be a bit of a hassle to walk back to the place you were at, but at least problems like this can be avoided. I just find it extremely unfair, my friends and I worked so hard playing this game legit just to be killed by a bunch of assholes that abuse the system.

Well that's my two cents worth, if you have an opinion on this feel free to comment below.

Server hopping, meaning being about to swap servers and still keeping your gear and position on the map.

I play non hive. So I enjoy all the rewards of keeping my weapons while knowing my enemies have earned what the have.

Also players can't kill me like they do did in the original post, to that's a huge plus.

what you describe is ghosting.. ghosting could be prevented by having servers remember your position for 15 minutes.. so if you leave server1, go to server2 to reposition and return to server1 in under 15 minutes you will spawn where you left server1 instead of where you repositioned to on server2.. but I have no idea if it would even be possible to implement

server hopping as I understand it is when you are logging into multitude of servers while at the same spot looking for rare loot or people to kill (barracks, sniper nest near high pop area, etc.)

that being said the ability to change servers while keeping your loot and position is good IMO but it needs some mechanic to prevent these exploits

Some of the servers I play on (that are connected to the hive) have a feature (or a bug, dunno): when you log in, you fall unconscious for about 3-5 minutes. It has its drawbacks (such as - you have to log out only in really safe places. either in a forest or in a building - so that no zeds chew you down), but this actually effectively prevents ghosting and al+f4'ing. Also, a lot less cheaters on these servers.

Yes, it is frustrating. Yes, it is inconvenient. Yes, it does not take any circumstances into account (omg, my internet just dropped and im in the middle of cherno!).

But, hell. It works! :P

Well, you still can ghost-walk into a wired fire station to get some loot... but logging in to a place full of armed people being unconscious will be the quickest trip to the beach.

Personally i would have made it less than 5min blackout. Around 1 min is enough IMO. But still - a nice feature.

Edited by darquan

I think that if you intentionally log out of the game for whatever reason there should be a timer that prevents you logging in again for 30mins. I dont know if this would have helped you guys out though because you probably would still have gotten wiped out, but for Alt-F4ers who want to ghost about it would be a major inconvenience.

If you are killed or the network drops then this wouldnt apply. Not sure how this is applied as i am not a programmer.

Hopping is bad imo and should be removed...but having the possibility to take your gear to another server when it goes down is ok.

Its bad.. both hopping and ghosting.

logout timer for altf4/abort/taskkill(30second) + "cooldown" before entering any server again for server hopping(10minutes) + previous server remembering your logout location for set amount of time for ghosting(30minutes)

Woudnt be too hard to implement in SA

What if even when you login back to same server after that 30 minutes and you are trying to spawn somewhere within 1500m radius of your logout point you would still spawn to that point where you logged out.

Ghosting would still be possible but too much of work...run 1500m away, logout and wait 10minutes cooldown, login other server, run back ~1500m logout, wait 20minutes(10minutes cooldown+ 10mins what is left of the server location save feature) and log in..

Would drastically reduce ghosting and server hopping.

10 minutes + login/out process to server hop

30 minutes + running and login/out process to ghost..

Edited by Zeppa