Sign in to follow this  
keithy351

worst first impressions on dayz

g'day everyone, well today i went and bought arma II comb.... bought it for dayz, so i had a bit of a play around and go used to the controls then went out and onto dayz, the first 10 times i spawned in someone shot me within the first 30 seconds, people where camping right around the spawn areas, and having no weapons they just shot me. so that really sucked balls, finally got a chance to get up and going and some dude shot me as i was being chased by 4 zombies, he was kind enough to first watch me kill the zombies then proceeded to shoot me.

So whats the deal with people loving to kill us newbies, having nothing at all and just spawning in why do they kill for. So this was my first efforts of dayz, i then went to the online of just arma 2 and it was the most fun in a game i had in ages. The variety of weapons, vehicles, planes, bikes the lot was great fun....

still havnt given up on dayz, i ended up finding a dead dude with some stuff, and found a old bike too. I didnt let my frustrations get the better of me and im yet to even go close to the main cities too lol. The zombies are very temperamental, sometimes you can creep past them but other times they just hate anyone being near by.

so just wondering, anyone got any good tips for day 2 of dayz for me?

People are dicks. Simple.

They get bored once they have the high end gear (or as soon as they get their hands on a sniper rifle) and just decide to snipe newbs.

I'd say, Dayz is like life, you learn "as" you play. It seems to me like you're making some bad decisions.

In all the time I've played, I've never had what you describe happen to me. Yes I've been hacked. I've not been spawn killed.

You said the first 10 times you spawn you were killed? If that happen to me twice, I'd go to ANY other server. Sounds like you just kept respawning on the same server hoping it wouldn't happen again. Duh?

Make mistakes and learn, its much more fun that way instead of punishing yourself for not thinking.

Sounds like you're spending too much time near the coasts. Just get inland and look for interior towns. I usually try to get to the grocery store in Polana, maybe check a deer stand or two on the way, then hit the grocery stores, military tents, apartment buildings and hospital in Berezino hard and fast and get back to the woods. I usually have all the basics after that. Then I might go up to the north east air field, it's usually somewhat safe. Then I follow the trees along the north looking for tents, sometimes I get lucky, then I go to the North West air field to die.

I would suggest finding a server (or two) that has very few players (low population) to start out on. Get the feel of the game, learn the buildings that you can enter (and find loot in) and which ones you cant. Once you learn your way around then go ahead and try your hand on a more populated server (If PvP is what your after). As stated, there are a lot of CoD kiddies that for some reason think they are rather skilled, and very clever that they can snipe new spawns on the coast.

• Like 4

The following are in no particular order.

1. Start on lower population servers, get used to the game on it, and pick up some basic survival equipment.

2. After starting a fresh survivor, you have nothing to lose. Take this opportunity to run through the largest town you spawn near.

3. Zombies are VERY easy to lose in towns, practice running around corners and ducking into cover, or running through any building with 2 or more entrances.

4. Zombies are forced to walk in buildings, making it an easy headshot, or opportunity to run away.

5. A hatchet is most efficient way to kill a Z.

6. If room permits, always carry 2 water bottles.

7. Play on a small set of regular servers, i have lost 5 survivors to glitches that i believe are caused by switching from one server to another and another rapidly looking for daylight.

8. If there is ever a HUGE explosion in the middle of no where, log off immediately, or die. (hacks)

9. If your ever magically teleported, log off immediately, or die. (hacks)

10. Never wander in the open at the NE Airfield.

11. "Friendly" rarely means friendly.. it means, "drop your sights so i can shoot you in safety"

12. Trust no one, except RL friends or clan members.

13. If you ever find a heli parked in the woods, the people watching it will shoot you in the face before you can learn how to take off (learned the hard way)

14. Following roads and power lines always leads to civilization, and possibly bandits waiting for an open shot.

Brains empty now, more semi-useful tips for noobs to come later.

• Like 2

Thats how the game is. I know, their jerks, but you gotta deal with it. It can't happen every single time, and it wont. It depends on your server. Find a nice low pop server, and play :)

Read up some beginners guides and watch youtube videos. You'll have a blast once you get yourself used to the game.

Edited by Matthew123

This game works just as real life would if there were an apocalypse, so treat it as such. Pretend that it's really you in the game, act like you would if this were a real situation. Use your instincts and I promise you the game will be much easier.

one word: .... *ahem* APLHA!!!

One word: read.

I didn't really have too many problems starting out. I watched about 3 or 4 good tutorial videos for dayz on youtube and they gave me a pretty good idea of what to expect/look out for.

The only thing I had to learn on my own was where the good loot spawns and what kind of loot spawns where. For that I suggest http://dayzdb.com/map.

Grocery stores usually give you all the basic necessities + tents + basic weaponry (sometimes).

High Value Apartment complexes (titled as residential on the map I listed) give the same type of stuff with a little more emphasis on ammo/weaponry.

High Value military complexes (the red marks on the map) and downed choppers give high tier weaponry.

I started out scavenging Berezino. IMO it's the perfect noob town. Much more quiet than Cherno or Electro. It also has a grocery store, a hospital, and a high value residential building all within about a 100m radius. I frequented that area until I became familiarized, then went full time bushman.

Make a note of that server and stay away from it. There's plenty of others to choose from.

What does that have to do with how people are behaving in-game? :)

But yeah, to OP; It seems to me 90%, if not more of the players are ready to shoot you in the face no matter what even if they're not in the lookout for loot. They just do it for fun. I bet it's because of those damn internet-trolls who love making everyone feel miserable found the game and started shooting everyone without a second thought and then everyone started to shoot on sight because they got tired of dying because of those a-holes aaand now absolutely everyone is shooting on sight, even without a reason. Or even if you go to them and say you're friendly and clearly indicate that "hey, I'm behind you, I could kill you, but I won't, wanna play?" .. and that's when they say they're friendly, turn around and shoot you.

Also don't bother working for days to get a helicopter running, because it only takes 2 seconds for a guy with AS50 to shoot it to bits, killing you and permanently erasing all your hard work.

SO... I actually recommend you try to find a server that has no players, familiarize yourself with the controls and get prepared to die. Also might wanna find some friends to play with ON THE FORUMS, not on the servers :D And that's exactly what I need to do right now, as playing alone is simply either boring or absolutely infuriating. (Boringly easy up north and damn near impossible to survive down south)

(Can you tell I'm getting frustrated of being killed every time I'm almost having some fun. :D)

Edited by sarcasm83

He didn't complain about game mechanics but players.... Take time to read the post.

To the OP play on low pop servers 10 people or below.

Well, when you can log in as a newb and get geared and find all the things needed to survive in the woods, you are then no longer a newb. It can be done. Are you good enough?

All part of the learning process man, I am feeling it to. I was looking at my map and saw a survivor run past me. I was pretty geared, seeing as I found a dead guy in Cherno that was geared out the wazoo. He looked lost, just kinda running around, hadn't seen me. No bandit scarf and no heartbeat when I zoomed in on him. So I called him over to see if he needed help, had one Lee Enfield, didn't respond walked up to me and shot me in my face. Needless to say, I was pretty pissed. Dumb on me thought right?

This game is definitely brutal on newbies, and the other players more often than not go out of their way to make it worse.

I would try a different server or see if you can get yourself started up on a low populated server (under 20 people for example).

Bandits love to camp out on the coastal towns and spawn locations, and as soon as they get a sniper rifle, they generally head to Cherno or Elektro and start sniping.

Don't get discouraged though. Death is a major part of this game. Never let yourself get attached to gear or your character, because you will die. And you will die in many frustrating ways (i.e. jerks sniping you, being stabbed in the back by a "friendly", hackers nuking the server etc). But it's also an exciting and rewarding game once you get into it.

If you want to avoid bandits, head north a bit. Towns like Zelenogorsk and more central towns don't usually see too many griefers/bandits. You can get yourself some basic gear there before moving onto the cities and airfields.

But like Cinnabuns said, this a game that you learn as you play. You'll gradually get the hang of it, and learn to avoid death a little easier.

I can sympathise, this game will punish you for the slightest mistake. And the local population doesn't make it any easier. That said, if you take these deaths as an opportunity to learn, the game can be rewarding. Start out on low population servers, I find plenty that have less than five these days, and I can go weeks without running into another person, which is fine by me because frankly I'm tired of those meetings always going the same way:

"Yo, I'm friend-" BANG "sigh."

These days, I go to great lengths to avoid other players, how to avoid them was something that took a lot of trial and error to perfect, and I still make mistakes, all I can say is keep at it, and learn from those mistakes, and eventually you'll find yourself in the shoes of many of those bandits, loaded out with gear, zombies aren't a threat, and now you're bored..

I can sympathise, this game will punish you for the slightest mistake. And the local population doesn't make it any easier. That said, if you take these deaths as an opportunity to learn, the game can be rewarding. Start out on low population servers, I find plenty that have less than five these days, and I can go weeks without running into another person, which is fine by me because frankly I'm tired of those meetings always going the same way:

"Yo, I'm friend-" BANG "sigh."

These days, I go to great lengths to avoid other players, how to avoid them was something that took a lot of trial and error to perfect, and I still make mistakes, all I can say is keep at it, and learn from those mistakes, and eventually you'll find yourself in the shoes of many of those bandits, loaded out with gear, zombies aren't a threat, and now you're bored..

I can relate sooo much. The only time I've not been able to avoid a player, was when a hacker spawned right next to me and killed me waaay up north, where I had already checked every angle. (He did this when I spawned on the coast too, several times, so I'm sure he did teleport.)

Oh and haha, I did have a very VERY unlucky encounter on a server with me and ONLY 3 other players. I was looking at Balota airfield from a faraway hill just after for some reason spawning at the coast with full gear, instead of north where I disconnected... and saw zombies, where I hadn't been. So they were spawned by someone else. Heard a gunshot and almost had a heartattack, but then I realized he shot at the zombies.(checked debug in my moment of panic for dead zombies.. sorry if you consider that cheating ;I)

Trying to stay totally hidden, I just move closer to the tree I'm next to and go damn near under it. I keep scanning, trying to figure out what way did he head to, so I'll know to head the totally opposite way.

The zombies despawn and I start panicing... where is he!?!? I contemplate logging out as my heart was pumping so hard, not knowing where he went. But I thought I must go through with it, as I'm not the kinda guy who alt-f4's out of battle. Even though I wasn't yet in a battle.

That's when I hear one single footstep, someone goes prone RIGHT NEXT TO ME, immediately turns to me and pumps me full of lead.

Even though I had been geared up to the teeth, I could do nothing but laugh, as I noticed he also clearly shat his pants when he accidentally proned right next to me :DD And I don't really blame him for it, I had a ghillie and an AS50 in my hands, that I scoped the distance with. I bet he thought I'm there sniping on noobs, And I think it's actually a pretty common snipingplace that I had stumbled to.

Anyway, that was a legit death and I totally approve. He deserved it.

Other than those two encounters, I've been successful circling around people, even if I'd like to try and see if they're friendly.

And right now I have all the best gear I could possible want and I see no reason to join any server for any purpose, as the only way I can go, is DOWN. I wish there was something to do now that I'm geared up.. I mean, something else than either try to fix vehicles and getting shot while doing it, trying to make friends and getting shot while doing it or shooting people, getting shot while doing it ;D

But nope, chernarus isn't a friendly place :P

Oh and you know what's funny? Even though death is so infuriatingly frustrating if you've had amazing gear, it's also the most relaxing and relieving thing you can imagine.

When you finally die, you're free to run carefree through the coasts, not caring whether someone totally rapes you or not :D

10. Never wander in the open at the NE Airfield.

Never -ever- on ANY airfield go out on the tarmac. NW NE or Balota....(SW)

I'll extend an invitation to www.survivedayz.com, sign up for the forums and join the private hive. It's been completely hack-free and there are many friendlies around. With side chat enabled, it also adds some of that early DayZ flavour from may/june that actually has people talking before shooting outright.