imagelesskjc

How much would you pay?

Can I suggest Kickstarter.com?

In the last few months, it has been shown to be a effective way to raising founds, vide Wasteland 2 or the new Carmaggedon. With the visibility DayZ acquired until now, pretty sure this might work surprisingly fine.

And talking about price, I'd easily pay the $30 I already spent just to play DayZ, or more.

$39.95! The good ole days of new release PC games. Though I'd pay the fully inflated price of current generation shooters of $60.

I'd also be willing to pay a modest subscription fee. I think this game deserves continuous revenue. Also if there is a central server it does need to be maintained.

If distributed through steam. I would like to see discounted 4 packs to be able to give friends.

If they make it a full standalone game with the budget and development staff that entails then I would pay as much as for any other game.

As a limited mod however it is DLC territory at best.

Something else to bear in mind, tens of thousands of people have already bought Arma 2/OA just to play this mod... asking them to pay again wont be received well.

Assuming the game would have at least a medium population for at least a year, I'd pay up to $100 or so. The experience is just that valuable to me; perma-death pvp that doesn't involve grinding, luck, or over-complicated mechanics. You're rewarded for taking risks, not reading text books on battle strategies or killing 1000 slimes an hour.

If it was a full standalone game it would be dumbed down severely and most gamers wouldn't even know the difference because they think a bullet travels in a straight line from the sights. They wouldn't think of checking the stars to figure out where north is. There are a lot of things that any other hardcore zombie game wouldn't include but this does because the rest of the ArmA community expects it.

If it was a full standalone game it would be dumbed down severely and most gamers wouldn't even know the difference because they think a bullet travels in a straight line from the sights. They wouldn't think of checking the stars to figure out where north is.

Games can be standalone and not be dumbed down. Most people would hear about it via the videos on YouTube(Like most have) and if they like it they would buy it. Minecraft as it was getting popular really had no objective and was not nearly finished yet people seen videos of it and liked its uniqueness. There will be no need to try to sell the game to the masses because most gamers with a PC go on Youtube daily. There are already what like 200,000 unique users. I am sure at least 60% would buy something around $20.

Bump it up to 25 when in beta. 30 when ready. Similarly to Minecraft.

I would probably pay 15$-25$, but I think rocket should have different editions possibly. So possibly the more you pay, more stuff you get in terms of skins, concept art, ect. Just an idea.

Humble indie bundle setup would be nice.

If I had the money to throw around up to around 35$ but I don't...

I'd just play it and get other people who do throw around money to buy it also ;3

I'd prefere to DayZ to be one packet, whether it's a DLC for ArmA3 or a standalone similar to Take on Helicopters. Noone of those hat DLCs please or pay to unlock choppers and NVGs.

As long as I don't have to pay to play. Fucking hate pay to play even if its a game I love, want more money release more crap heh.

I dont understand quite how keeping it as a mod is detrimental to its development, maybe because its terribly hard to keep up to date but it feels like a freaken monument to pc gaming, and mods in general. If this does get ported to the updated arma 3 engine and then kept as an official mod similar to blizzards dota allstars than you can keep your pricing for Arma 3, generate more sales with that and give the buyers more bang for their buck(moddability of arma 3?, other mods?) I plead to rocket to not move out to a standalone game of Arma

paying already 25 euro's a month for a server!, WHAT else do you want from me :P

hehe but keep it as part of arma2/III otherwise the sales will suck/not as good

I would suggest the neighborhood of $20, with a minor price reduction (say $5 less) for players that have been around since a certain Alpha build. Like he says in the interview, we - the community - are helping to build and propel this mod. I only think it's fair that those of us that have been playing it, helping out in the community, and sticking with the mod since its inception should not have to pay another $30 for the standalone when I bought ArmA II solely for DayZ. I'd be fine with $15-$20.

I'd pay the full 59.99 price if it was a true stand alone game

Stand alone in my mind meaning its own map, hopefully with bigger cities and more enterable buildings. Im guessing it would run on what ever engine Arma 3 is built on so i heard this would be possible. More end game things, like base building, player factions. Would be cool if you could build a base then have a bunker or a lock house to hold items in it. Other players could raid them but you could hire NPC's to watch over it while you were away. They would need food/water, or some sort of payment. Clothing options etc.

I know you're an artist, Rocket, but I really think you need to charge what your game is worth. The market is a fickle beast, and I would not place my livelihood in its hands, especially with the potential this project has. There is nothing ignoble about making a living and supporting your product with a fair price.

Me? I once paid 300 dollars a month for a parking space. Is that any clue as to how much I'd pay for a game that doesn't require me to move my car?

A solid and marketable price would probably be $30 or maybe even more depending on the content/features/polish. I would gladly pay a full price of $50, but that's because I already know how much I enjoy DayZ. Minecraft is cheaper, yes, but that's a fairly basic engine for a basic game that can be sold to a massive demographic of casual to hardcore gamers who have no problem shelling out the 15-20 bucks for it. DayZ is a hardcore game, and realistically it probably won't sell like Minecraft. The type of player who would enjoy DayZ is the type of player who regularly puts out 40, 50, even 60 bucks for quality games of their favorite genre. Also, the higher the price of the game, the less hackers there will be since they lose more money when they get banned.

One possible idea that taps into the F2P model but without fully divulging in it is to have a demo version where your character can only be played for X hours. After a certain amount of time, you have to pay for the full version to allow the database to fetch your character for you. Sure, you could keep starting a new character for free, but I would bet a lot of players would upgrade to have their character live longer than the demo allowance. Obviously you won't kill their player if it's free, just don't allow it to spawn and say "you need full version to continue playing this character, upgrade now and you can continue or click here to start a new demo character". Maybe even limit certain features that new players probably wouldn't find/use anyway (vehicles, tents, etc.)

I pay 50-60 bucks now for brand new games that suck. I def would pay that much for this if it was a stand alone.

Full and standalone using Arma3 engine I would pay full price. As a mod for Arma2 then typical BIS DLC price at the most. If going with open alpha/beta for A3 then discount for early adopters and testers would be a good incentive and help with dev. Dean is getting a metric shit ton of info and experience from this open alpha from us and we are getting an awesome experience in return. We put up with the shit the alpha throws at us and from Dean twiddling knobs and seeing what happens and he puts up with our shit, but the project pushes ahead because of it. All of this is gold for a standalone version.

DayZ is a hardcore multiplayer game and as such does not contain the content necessary for an AAA title worth $50. Now don't get me wrong, DayZ has more substance than 1,000 COD clones, but my meaning is that if the game were priced more reasonably, say $20-30, I believe it would be more in the spirit of the indie project that it is. If there were a single player aspect, maybe you could charge $50, but that is such a horrible price to look at.

My suggestion would be $30 (the price of combined ops right now on Steam), since that has sold nearly 200,000 copies and rising. Clearly DayZ is worth $30 although you might have seen slightly higher sales at a lower price-point, I believe that price is the sweet spot and you could probably charge 34.99 for a bonafide sequel with awesome graphics as long as all the major quirks are ironed out (zig-zag zombies, awful inv system, melee combat).

Please do not ruin the game and cheapen the experience by making it F2P, although I agree you might want to make a demo where you have a couple of lives to experience the game, it should be sold either as DLC for Arma III (since I will be buying Arma III in the hopes of a DayZ mod, I imagine many others will too - throw them a bone and make it $20 for owners of Arma 3 or something along those lines). I've already seen my favourite franchise Tribes nearly ruined by F2P gameplay wise, DayZ as a game has yet to achieve such greatness and so should really be given the opportunity to be released as a full standalone game with modding features.

$20US now for alpha/beta access and a discount on full release.

$35US on release.

I'm also a fan of what rfactor 2 is doing, you could pay less on release and yearly for multiplayer or pay a bit more at release for lifetime membership.