birdman

No map in the standalone?

Think of it before flaming.

If people were dropped off in a large world with no map it would be the easiest thing in the world to get lost and veture off to who knows were. If the spawns (one spawn) were random you would be completely unsure of your surroundings. You would wander the world with only the stars, sun and maybe a compass to guide you. It would take learned skill to orient yourself to your surroundings.

But eventually you would learn. It may take months. You might be compelled to team up with a stranger just to learn about the land. But you would learn. The community would share. The towns, if not labled with names would come to have nicknames given to them by the community as people learn their surroundings. To find people on teamspeak you would have to talk them through orienteering to your location.

"See the hill with construction site on the North side slope? I'm 1km West of that." etc. . .

Eventually a database would come up with it's own interpretation of the map, but at least at first it would be confusing and scary as shit. You would have to survive by simply continuing to look for food. Some people would camp towns to stay in their comfort zone which still keeps some PvP alive but you would not always run into that town until you learn the land.

A lot of people would be instantly turned off, but nothing screams survival more than this quick fix.

I know that the map would leak but you would still have to orient yourself with the map to find out where you are. Maybe make the map available for download with the game with no town names just people trying to decifer them with their random spawn.

Maybe make it a server option to disable map.

Just a thought.

• Like 1

But...? Maps are fine as they are? Just disable the character showing in servers and it's basicly a simple map with nothing on it other than towns, locations and roads/hills? Removing the map will make new players run around like chickens with no head.

Sorry, i disagree with your idea bud.

• Like 1

Maps are pretty commonly found in the real world... every stop and go store has them for starters

• Like 1

Well if you think about it, the supermarkets in the cities are bound to have maps, same with pretol stations and such. I dunno, i don't mind the idea, but there would be maps left on the game, even in an apocolyptic wasteland.

Yeah maps would be available in shops and also houses. Hence, can't expect there to not be maps.

"Status: Alive - Current Loadout - All gagets" gagets..wat?

*Gadgets

Thanks for spotting that one out XD

There would also be condoms, tampons and double ended drilldos in shops and houses if I know anything about Europe, but I'm not seeing those anywhere... so it's not a great argument in response to OP :P

I actually like the idea, but as you said, most people will probably hate it.

Edited by KennyNZ

There would also be condoms, tampons and double ended drilldos in shops and houses if I know anything about Europe, but I'm not seeing those anywhere... so it's not a great argument in response to OP :P

I actually like the idea, but as you said, most people will probably hate it.

I'm not for or against the maps. I just know once someone learns the map, they will create one and then it would be up to you to use it or not, and if you choose to use, you have a slight advantage.

I like this idea, but the map in standalone is the same and just a bit bigger. So by now people would have memorized towns and cities.

Hello there

I do appreciate your idea, but within a day of release there'll be a user made map and many folk will just use that.

Ideally though, I like it.

Rgds

LoK

People are going to cheat no matter what you do. I personally enjoyed those early days not knowing what was on the map. Of course, yeah, people are going to rush to get around the game mechanics.

How about..

Instead of one enormous map with incredible detail we end up finding lots of smaller maps with various levels of detail. You can't find a map with every single building marked on it at your local grocery store anyway. The current level of detail could be reserved for military grade maps while generalized maps of specific areas would be more common.

Hand scribbled maps, torn out pages from road atlases, maps of various cities and their surrounding areas, medium sized maps, etc. could add a little more depth to looting. I'd also like the ability to copy maps that are found and give them to in game friends. Finding maps with waypoints/markers of stashes could lead to loot or traps.

Basically, no one map, besides rare loot, would suffice for the entire game world.

Just tossing out ideas.

War Z developers are required to pay me 10,000 US dollars if they rip off this idea. K, thx.

just get rid of GPS and 'You are here' marker on a map. make it a real map that you have to read like a normal person.

just get rid of GPS and 'You are here' marker on a map. make it a real map that you have to read like a normal person.

A sexy alternative. But I would like to not have town names, at least the current ones, so that the community can come up with their own common names.

For instance in Delta Force we had Murder Town and the Pit, in Tribes we had Space Station (all three with no real name). It would seem like more of a community bonding experience to come up with new names for towns after the apocalypse, and cool IMO.

EDIT: Plus it would take a long time for each name to become part of the Day-Z lexicon.

Edited by thebirdolux

Only some servers have the player markers on maps.

I play full Veteran servers with no third person, crosshairs, name plates, death messages or map markers. And I love it. Having to actually use the map to spot land marks and determine your course with a compass or god forbid only a watch is too damn satisfying. XD

That's how you play DayZ.

Only some servers have the player markers on maps.

I play full Veteran servers with no third person, crosshairs, name plates, death messages or map markers. And I love it. Having to actually use the map to spot land marks and determine your course with a compass or god forbid only a watch is too damn satisfying. XD

That's how you play DayZ.

But now you always start at the coast. Instant orientation. Must go along with a random spawn whether or not they disable or max out time on "respawns".

*Gadgets

Thanks for spotting that one out XD

11ihdfk.png

Would be nice if you could find only parts of the map and combine them to one whole map when you find all, I know its not realistic but adds one goal ingame.

Good idea, I wish Rocket and co would do this for the first month of playing, just to see the community reaction.

However, lets also look at the possibility of a user generated map? Like a sheet of paper which shows the area the Player has explored? If they go a certain direction say 20 meters (Dependant on location and topography) it will render the area on the map and not show parts not explored. This is logical and realistic.

Rocket are you listening>?

• Like 1

^ this have some beans

+ partial maps found that can be combinet with it.

I wonder how dificult it would be to implement.. that it would draw things to the map that you actually can see?

Not automatically draw certain radius, but you had to look and investigate things to get complete map.